• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Skywalker

Skywalker in action

One of the things I am frustrated about is when I read up on something and even do some planning but don't turn these intentions into actions.  I am going to explore why this is, what holds me back?

It will also be a frugal year so I need to be creative about my activities.  I also need to keep my walking fitness up (which is free to do).

I really want to focus on weight loss - and aim to be 10 kg less by the end of the year.

I would like to develop an interest in photography.  I'm not sure how since I don't have a camera but I'm hoping to borrow one (not sure from who).

So that's my 2018 general goal list.

For this first challenge:

1.  Low-carb - I've cut out bread and plan to cut out added sugar by the end of this week.  I am generally low-grain but I will log on MFP for the accountability and to see what I actually am doing (rather than what I think I am doing).  I'm Storm Skywalker of MFP if anyone wants to follow.

2.  Walk daily - I have a few routine fitness activities but I have plenty of time to add in a daily walk.  I'm not committing to an actual time/step count at this stage.  Just walking out of the house counts.  Unlike you Northerners it is very hot here at the moment but early morning or late at night are definitely doable.

3.  Journalling - Something I really struggle with but I need to bite the bullet and get it done.  I am planning to journal what I want to change and what is holding me back.

also

I just signed up for the Yoga Challenge in the accountability thread and I think this is a great thing to do.

bring on 2018!

• Like 3

Whoohoo! So glad you're back!

Sugar and grains are a great first step - my sister did this recently, and she did suffer from some withdrawal symptoms in the first few days, but just had to push through and now it's much better.

Well two days of yoga is a good start.

I've done the sugar free thing before the holidays so hopefully it will not be so rocky jumping back on the wagon. Yesterday I had a last piece of pav (and sugar free except for that) so today was my first sugar free day. I've got three more days before I start back at work so hopefully any reaction will be over and I'll have enough momentum to then resist any residual Christmas chocolates that I know are lurking at work.

I haven't gone completely grain free (breadcrumbs on schnitzel) but without bread I don't really eat grains. I'm planning meatballs (grain free) and may do it with noodles but I've bought cabbage which is my pasta alternative.

I haven't started logging so I'll commit to thus tomorrow.

Yes I've got out of the house for incidental walking and planning a walk first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Also haven't started journaling so I'd better schedule this.

I'll report back tomorrow.

• Like 2

Ok, today I logged what I planned to eat, then made adjustments. I've also logged tomorrow's planned food. :). I find this a good way to stay on plan, if I've already thought through the meals.

I also got an actual walk in. My dog was very sick over Christmas so this was the first time I've take her for a decent walk. Around 40 mins, so nothing to ambitious.

I was just going through the motions with day 3 of yoga. I really need to get this done earlier in the day.

Tomorrow I promise I'll start journaling!

• Like 2

On 1/7/2018 at 8:21 AM, CallunaTook said:

Sugar and workplace chocolates are my nemesis. Good luck!

I like to use spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute also.  

I found that spiralized/finely cut carrots or zucchini are also a tasty alternative to pasta.

Glad your pup is feeling better! Poor thing... What was wrong?

She was running a temp the weekend before Christmas and just went downhill from there. She spent a few days in doggy hospital $$ over Christmas and had a couple of seizures. Treated with antibiotics and antiviral. They were suspecting a brain tumour but we didn't go as far as an MRI. So we were over the moon when the meds seemed to work. I don't believe in spending a small fortune on a pet, but it's hard to work out where to draw the line. She's all smiles and waggy tails now and enjoying an extra meal each day to try and put some weight back on. . If you've been doing yoga with Adriene she is a similar dog/marking as her dog Benji.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm reading Jocko Willink's - discipline = freedom field manual (that I found at the library) and taken the advice - if you want to do something - DO IT. and started journaling. I used the book as a jump off point to explore some aspect that really resonated with me. This is my plan moving forward. Read, journal, contemplate and journal some more. repeat.

I was a little unsure if I could relate to Jocko's warrior mentality (I actually feel sorry for his bleak outlook) but I'm finding plenty of actionable items and this is my plan. Take action.

Food all logged and compliant. Potato with dinner but no grains or sugar. I've even logged tomorrow in anticipation. I've planned for a 'naughty' treat of fish and chips (take away) but still within cals and if a get grilled fish there will be no (or little) flour.

I didn't get an actual walk in today but I was on my feet all day gardening and doing chores. Day 4 Yoga done. It was a very relaxing session that really suited my mood.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

discipline = freedom field manual

I got a copy for Christmas! :)

49 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

I was a little unsure if I could relate to Jocko's warrior mentality

Yeah, I've said in the past that Jocko is not for everybody. His intensity works well with me because I was in JROTC for two years and would have joined the military if not for seizures.

51 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

I actually feel sorry for his bleak outlook

With this I agree. I can only guess what he has seen and done as a soldier, though, and he reads and shares a lot of material that affirms this outlook (Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning is frequently referenced in the podcast). I feel like he's the kind of man who has chosen to not only face evil but always keep a close watch on it and be prepared for it. He also talks a lot about honoring those who have fallen, and I think being 100% all the time and reading about the struggles of other warriors (especially those who endured great suffering) is his way of doing so.

On the other hand, I have talked to people who have met him, and they say he is very warm and humble and not "nearly" as intense as he seems (except in the gym and on the mat).

You should read Extreme Ownership, written by Jocko and fellow Navy Seal Leif Babin. While there are some stories from his experiences as a Navy Seal (and some of those are bleak), all of them come with some practical lesson in regards to leadership.

• Like 1

Photography can be really fun :) I took it for a semester in school and had a pretty nice time with it all. Although I can say without a doubt that developing your own film is a total bitch. Thank god for digital cameras!

Have you got a decent cell phone camera that you can start with? I think most smart phones these days have pretty decent cameras on them and you can do some basic editing with the built in apps on most phones. It's a nice easy way to get started on the path to learning photography without spending a ton of money. My older brother takes a lot of photos and is very active on instagram and he does it all with just his phone and has posted some really wonderful pictures over the years.

• Like 1

Whoops, I almost fell off the NF wagon.

I've been doing ok with the food goals. I haven't been keeping up the extra walking and I only have done one more journaling session.

I am feeling a stronger mindset so I want to keep up the momentum.

• Like 3

I've been doing ok with the food goals. I haven't been keeping up the extra walking and I only have done one more journaling session.

I am feeling a stronger mindset so I want to keep up the momentum.

Keep us updated!
Glad to hear the food is going well - that's the big one!
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, Skywalker said:

Some of us just have the need to live life dangerously, always teetering on the edge ;) Keep up the updates. You are doing great :)

• Like 1

Food logged and on track.

Yoga done.

I've been reading and journaling.

Just trying to work out the timing so I don't go to bed wired.
Sounds like lots of wins!

I'm having trouble motivating myself to do my yoga... I'm not sure why. Are you following a video for yours?
  • Like 1

I'm doing he new yoga with Adriene but I'm only up to day seven!!
I've finally got my sleep in better order and got a session in the morning.

I have been reflecting on why I haven't been getting in the walk and obviously it isn't important to me - if it was I'd be doing it.

• Like 2

I'm doing he new yoga with Adriene but I'm only up to day seven!!
I've finally got my sleep in better order and got a session in the morning.

I have been reflecting on why I haven't been getting in the walk and obviously it isn't important to me - if it was I'd be doing it.

Oh nice, that's what I'm doing too, and I'm around day 7 also! I'm having the same problem you are with the walks though - I just can't seem to convince myself that it's important...

I haven't tracked food this weekend and despite cooking/baking for my sisters party I've felt that food was ok. Snacking most of the day but I don't feel it was too bad, just hard to track. I did have birthday cake (rhubarb strawberry crumble cake).

Quite a productive weekend overall. I was comfortable journaling and even had an attempt at bullet journaling (well my version). Did one session of yoga.

Didn't get a walk in but plenty of gardening etc.

• Like 2

Sorry I haven't checked in.
Food good - I've been tracking intermittently. I should post more frequently because it is a good trigger to track (or find another trigger).

Yoga also intermittent - I knocked a few sessions over but no routine.

Not much actual exercise- it's been so hot/humid - I've been hiding out. No real excuse as I've spent time in Queensland where is is hot and humid for months at a time and still managed to get out and get stuff done.

Battling some personal roadblocks so trying to journal them out.

I am considering joining a gym on a short term contract. I hate spending the money but I know I always struggle with at home consistent practice. So do I do what I know will be effective but spread the finances thin or try and push through the inertia of a home practice?

• Like 3

Sorry I haven't checked in.
Food good - I've been tracking intermittently. I should post more frequently because it is a good trigger to track (or find another trigger).

Yoga also intermittent - I knocked a few sessions over but no routine.

Not much actual exercise- it's been so hot/humid - I've been hiding out. No real excuse as I've spent time in Queensland where is is hot and humid for months at a time and still managed to get out and get stuff done.

Battling some personal roadblocks so trying to journal them out.

I am considering joining a gym on a short term contract. I hate spending the money but I know I always struggle with at home consistent practice. So do I do what I know will be effective but spread the finances thin or try and push through the inertia of a home practice?

I have the same problem with workouts... I had to accept that I just cannot be trusted to push myself at home. It's hard when it's a stretch for the budget though - I've been there!
I'm sure things are totally different there, but I managed to find a rather inexpensive solution by getting a community centre rec pass instead of going to a traditional gym. The facilities aren't as fancy, but it was enough to get me out of the house and working out.