• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

On 23/01/2018 at 10:50 AM, Aonghus said:

Week 5, Day 3 of the C25K program I'm on was completed last night. It actually felt pretty easy, all things considered. 

I am toying with the idea of just trying a 20 minute run tomorrow and seeing if I can manage it, but we'll see.

That's awesome! How are you going with the free-form runs? I've just started Week 6 and I still get tired after maybe 90 seconds of running. I try to do as many 90-sec bursts as I can, though!

How did it go? I'm toying with the idea of doing c25k again but last time the shin splints caused me to quit before I got to week 3.

Still getting over being sick, so I won't be doing a challenge this month.

I had been doing well last month up until the plague visited my house.

I am going to hit the gym today and try a run. Just take it easy and see how it goes. I did go for a short hike, yesterday, which was nice.

Continuing to try and pay attention to what I eat.

• Like 2

Well, it was an intense few months and I disappeared for a bit.
I got what I thought was a bad cold but turned out to be the flu. Shortly after that I got, what my doctor termed as 'One of the worst Strep infections I have ever seen. Seriously, it is bad in there. Really bad.'

(This was after two weeks of trying to wait it out and barely being able to swallow.)

Right after I got put on antibiotics that just wrecked my system I felt a lot better, but I also got laid off from my job. 

While I have had other things going on, though, I did manage to maintain my lower weight. 
And, in good news...

I got an AMAZING new job at the local University. My wife works here, too, though in a different department. So it's great for commuting etc.

But one of the best parts is that my office is right next to the gym. I can walk to the gym from my office in about 145 seconds. It's brilliant.
So I can happily go to the gym on my lunch break each day, get a good work out and even shower afterwards and still be back to my desk in time.

Now, I have a persistent cough right now that I'm working on getting over so I just completely restarted the C25K rather than push my luck.
But I can do free weights or swim in the huge pool or play basketball or whatever.
this is a full University gym and rec centre. They have a climbing wall. The sky is the limit.
So, I am thrilled about that and I am thrilled that.

My aim is to do another monthly challenge closer to the middle/end of May, but we'll see how it all goes.

• Like 2

Accountability post.

Did a bunch of upper body weight stuff.

Tomorrow will be elliptical and rowing machine.

As of the beginning of this week, 200.8 lbs, 35% fat and 32% muscle.

0822CC73-02B7-438F-B2E1-DC82670BB625.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, it has been a rough few months since I last logged in.
Between having a new baby in the house who is an adorable plague rat and the fact that it has just been a really bad season for illness I got sick over and over and over again with various things.
(As did the wife and baby.)
I even got a strep infection so bad the doctor described it as one of the worst they'd ever seen and the antibiotics I got put on for it killed it off quickly but wrecked my system. And because of that I ended up with C-diff. (TMI, I know.)

I have been trying really hard to eat sensibly and to work out regularly, but I was at a point where no matter what I did I could not lose any weight. Nothing. And even having C-diff didn't make me lose any weight.

So... I saw my doctor and he took a lot of blood and ran a lot of labs and after a lot of discussion and a lot of trepidation from me, he convinced me to start on phentermine.

It's not something I would have picked for myself, but the other options I was looking at would have been a bad choice since I have fatty liver and don't want to risk elevating my numbers at all.
So he talked it all through with me and I started on it today.

I am going to continue with eating as healthily as possible and my wife is going to be my accountability buddy on that. 
She's also joining me at the gym a few days a week and I am going each day on my lunch break.

Hopefully it'll do what the doctor wants which is kick start my metabolism so that I only need to be on it for a month or two and then I can just continue making healthy choices and lose the rest without medication.

It's hard because I feel kind of like a cheater, but I am trying to focus on my ultimate health goal with is to drop the excess fat and just work on being stronger and healthier in general.

Here goes...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aonghus said:

Well, it has been a rough few months since I last logged in.
Between having a new baby in the house who is an adorable plague rat and the fact that it has just been a really bad season for illness I got sick over and over and over again with various things.
(As did the wife and baby.)
I even got a strep infection so bad the doctor described it as one of the worst they'd ever seen and the antibiotics I got put on for it killed it off quickly but wrecked my system. And because of that I ended up with C-diff. (TMI, I know.)

I have been trying really hard to eat sensibly and to work out regularly, but I was at a point where no matter what I did I could not lose any weight. Nothing. And even having C-diff didn't make me lose any weight.

So... I saw my doctor and he took a lot of blood and ran a lot of labs and after a lot of discussion and a lot of trepidation from me, he convinced me to start on phentermine.

It's not something I would have picked for myself, but the other options I was looking at would have been a bad choice since I have fatty liver and don't want to risk elevating my numbers at all.
So he talked it all through with me and I started on it today.

I am going to continue with eating as healthily as possible and my wife is going to be my accountability buddy on that. 
She's also joining me at the gym a few days a week and I am going each day on my lunch break.

Hopefully it'll do what the doctor wants which is kick start my metabolism so that I only need to be on it for a month or two and then I can just continue making healthy choices and lose the rest without medication.

It's hard because I feel kind of like a cheater, but I am trying to focus on my ultimate health goal with is to drop the excess fat and just work on being stronger and healthier in general.

Here goes...

Did they talk about at all taking probiotics to replenish your gut bacteria?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Did they talk about at all taking probiotics to replenish your gut bacteria?

Hey there.
They did talk about that. I'm eating a lot live culture of yoghurt and my wife has kombucha that she makes. I don't like it but I will take a couple of shots of that each day.
Fresh sauerkraut, too.

I was warned that it will probably take some time to replenish everything, but I'll keep at it.

• Like 2

Continuing to work on things slowly. Down almost 10 lbs over a two week period.  Faster than I would normally agree with, but I am being very careful  and my doctor is keeping an eye on me.

Right now my main goal is to just drop 20lbs overall. If I could do it and keep it off by the end of August that would be great. 

Working out five days a week. Three days of cardio and two days of weights. 

• Like 1

I just read your whole sage, good job sticking with it and not getting discouraged (and I agree with everybody, the reenactment angle is really interesting). Are you participating in the current round of challenges? I think you can jump in any time and might get more feedback there.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:26 AM, Aonghus said:

Right now my main goal is to just drop 20lbs overall. If I could do it and keep it off by the end of August that would be great. 

Working out five days a week. Three days of cardio and two days of weights. 

great fitness progress!

• Like 1

Took my last dose of the Phentermine today. It worked well. The first week was rough but once I got used to it I felt a lot better. 

It ended up being a good thing that the doctor had put me on it, because I've suffered from bad depression for years, and my anti-depressants were technically working, but I was really lethargic all the time and I could just never get anything done. I was trapped in indecision all the time. Being on the phentermine made me feel like my old self again.
so, after a lot of discussion the doc took me off phentermine at the end of the month long prescription and is starting me on adderall. I guess it's not uncommon for people who have chronic depression and aspergers to have depression related fatigue and being on both antidepressants and a lower dose stimulant really helps to even things out. And honestly, I'm glad we figured that out. It's good to feel human and balanced again.

I've been working out each weekday. C25K 3 times a week and 2 days of weights.
I've upped the amount of weight I can lift and I am feeling a lot better. Having fewer joint and pain issues and really enjoying the workouts.

Weight as of May 22nd - 207 lbs
Weight today - 195.2 lbs. 33.3% body fat and 33.6 muscle mass. The first time in YEARS that my muscle mass has been higher than my body fat.

I'm going to keep working at things slowly. Sensible eating, working out and continuing good habits.

• Like 2

Glad to see things are going good for you!  Slowly still gets it done, and tends to be a lot more sustainable :)