• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber squat, etc form check

3 hours ago, Orion Antares said:

I feel like your elbows are flared out too much with your press.

I will work on that. I did a bit of quick googling and it sounds like one of the results of having the elbows flared can be shoulder pain, so that would be in line with my "something I did while pressing" shoulder achiness over the last week or so.

3 hours ago, Orion Antares said:

That might also be why your wrists looked like they were bent too much inward in what looked like an uncomfortable angle.

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i noticed the wrists as well.

work towards keeping them straight :)  "When you hold the bar, it should be in the heel of the palm (the same spot in your hands as for the overhead press.) Your wrists will not be extended, and your forearms are under your wrists, forming a solid line of support. "

I honestly didn't notice my wrists were at a weird (though not uncomfortable) angle until the video. I will be more careful of that next time.

30 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

This is actually a legitimate technique for achieving a wider grip width while still keeping your fingers over the rings in the knurling. But I don't recommend it.

I didn't look at your floor presses initially because I don't do them, and thus can't advise you on how to do them better. 

But, looking at it, I'm wondering, how much lat engagement are you getting as you bring the bar down? That might explain your flared elbows (which doesn't help for any shoulder issues you're having) and your general feeling of instability.

Not enough. For whatever reason I seem to have a harder time with lats while pressing than during other lifts (or just in general; I swear I can engage them better gripping the steering wheel while driving myself home from work than during floor press lol.). But, that does makes sense. I warmup with a heavier weight than what I would otherwise because the lighter ones literally wobble side to side.

1 minute ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Not enough. For whatever reason I seem to have a harder time with lats while pressing than during other lifts (or just in general; I swear I can engage them better gripping the steering wheel while driving myself home from work than during floor press lol.). But, that does makes sense. I warmup with a heavier weight than what I would otherwise because the lighter ones literally wobble side to side.

So the cue that worked for me is actually one you've already been given in this thread. @Alanna mentioned "protect your armpits" as a cue for the deadlift, but its the same movement, the same muscle engagement for the press. If you focus on turning your arms down to pinch your armpits as you lower, the muscles that do so are the lats. I find this infinitely more helpful that "keep your elbows tucked" or "bend/break the bar" which i personally always struggled to understand what it means. But in the context of "pinch your armpits" I can see what the cue is supposed to be telling me. I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Orion Antares said:

I didn't understand bend the bar for the longest time until someone phrased it better. Bend the bar toward your feet.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Same here - for months I thought it was break the bar perpendicular to the floor (so the broken pieces were pointing to the ceiling) instead of parallel to the floor (so the broken pieces would be pointing towards your face) :P

The cue that finally made it click for me (and understand the break the bar cue) was reading "externally rotate your shoulders" in Becoming a Supple Leopard.

12 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

I think about it like trying to bend or break a stick that you're holding in front of you, flexing it into a u shape and pushing the ends together.

One thing to watch for though, with engaging your lats in the bench is making sure you don't tuck your elbows in too much, which makes your elbows come in front of your wrists - I made that mistake for a while once I finally learned this cue.

Something else that might help - Juggernaut is in the process of posting a series of form videos for bench press:

They haven't gotten to lats yet, but scapular placement (#2) should also help with stability.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alanna said:

One thing to watch for though, with engaging your lats in the bench is making sure you don't tuck your elbows in too much, which makes your elbows come in front of your wrists - I made that mistake for a while once I finally learned this cue.

That shouldn't happen unless you are trying to keep a straight bar path between chest and lockout. The bench press is a case where you actually want a curved bar path because that's healthiest for your shoulders.

2 hours ago, Orion Antares said:

That shouldn't happen unless you are trying to keep a straight bar path between chest and lockout. The bench press is a case where you actually want a curved bar path because that's healthiest for your shoulders.

*Checks old lifting video from when I was making that mistake* Nah, it can definitely happen with a non-vertical bar path (i.e., still ~straight line, but not perpendicular to the ground, which is what could cause shoulder impingement) :P. I probably just didn't explain it well.

In general for bench, you want your wrists stacked ~over your elbows (there might be some that argue for your your elbow slightly ahead - I'd have to check), like in the cover photo for the Juggernaut youtube video above. Mine would be waaay in front, towards my feet, even without a vertical bar path.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

So the cue that worked for me is actually one you've already been given in this thread. @Alanna mentioned "protect your armpits" as a cue for the deadlift, but its the same movement, the same muscle engagement for the press. If you focus on turning your arms down to pinch your armpits as you lower, the muscles that do so are the lats. I find this infinitely more helpful that "keep your elbows tucked" or "bend/break the bar" which i personally always struggled to understand what it means. But in the context of "pinch your armpits" I can see what the cue is supposed to be telling me. I hope this helps.

20 hours ago, Orion Antares said:

I didn't understand bend the bar for the longest time until someone phrased it better. Bend the bar toward your feet.

7 hours ago, Alanna said:

Same here - for months I thought it was break the bar perpendicular to the floor (so the broken pieces were pointing to the ceiling) instead of parallel to the floor (so the broken pieces would be pointing towards your face) :P

The cue that finally made it click for me (and understand the break the bar cue) was reading "externally rotate your shoulders" in Becoming a Supple Leopard.

20 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

I think about it like trying to bend or break a stick that you're holding in front of you, flexing it into a u shape and pushing the ends together.

giphy-downsized.gif

That finally makes sense! I've read that "break the bar" cue before, but like Alanna I assumed that meant perpendicular to the floor. I look forward to trying properly next time! (Also, Protector of Arm Pits should be A Thing.)

7 hours ago, Alanna said:

Something else that might help - Juggernaut is in the process of posting a series of form videos for bench press:

I will keep that in mind. I'll probably do "after" vids once I have some practice at the new cues, to make sure I have it correct (and haven't broken other parts of my form in the process.)

Thanks for the links! I'll cue those up to watch when I get home from work.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alanna said:

(there might be some that argue for your your elbow slightly ahead - I'd have to check)

In fact there are. For a general healthy bench, stack your joints, just like you do for other lifts. But for a power bench, and to get the most out of your leg drive, you actually want your elbows ahead of your wrists (only slightly) so that when you drive, all of your body is driving the bar in the same direction, your legs, your torso, and your arms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

In fact there are. For a general healthy bench, stack your joints, just like you do for other lifts. But for a power bench, and to get the most out of your leg drive, you actually want your elbows ahead of your wrists (only slightly) so that when you drive, all of your body is driving the bar in the same direction, your legs, your torso, and your arms.

Yeah, that makes sense, especially given the non-vertical bar path. As @Juni0r83 said, though, only slightly. If I recall correctly, Rip also recommends elbows slightly ahead for OHP, too. 

Juggernaut posted the video we needed!
At 2:00 they show the too tucked position that I warned about. They recommended the stacked position, but also note that small deviations are fine depending on your personal preference. They also nicely show how to hold the bar for the correct wrist position.

I'm not affiliated with Juggernaut, by the way - I've just been finding their videos on form (as well as programming) extremely helpful!

By the way, if you can't bench, have you thought about doing push-ups as an alternative or accessory? Floor press might still have greater carry-over to bench, but push-ups would give you more range of motion.

• Like 1

If you can get enough of an arch going, its possible for floor pressing to have the exact same range of motion as a bench press. It also helps to be a big fat guy with short arms...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/19/2018 at 7:04 AM, Alanna said:

By the way, if you can't bench, have you thought about doing push-ups as an alternative or accessory? Floor press might still have greater carry-over to bench, but push-ups would give you more range of motion

I had thought about that, partly in terms of wondering if I am building up an imbalance. i.e. if and when I ever get the bench together, am I going to be working out a sticking point a couple of inches over my chest while the rest of the movement is easy?

I had planned on incorporating more ring work in my routine at some point, as I kinda fell off doing much BW work somewhere along the way. Need to revisit. 

Also, I quite like the instructional vids. I'll be checking out the Juggernaut site for sure. I know a couple of warriors who have, or are currently doing the program.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I'll be checking out the Juggernaut site for sure. I know a couple of warriors who have, or are currently doing the program.

It's a solid program with a tonne of volume. Volume scares me...

Lol. Well I probably wouldn't jump right in and start it Monday. I am not entirely sure I could count to 10 with a barbell in my hands at this point ;) I might do some research though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lol. Well I probably wouldn't jump right in and start it Monday. I am not entirely sure I could count to 10 with a barbell in my hands at this point I might do some research though.

Try count down from 10 instead of up to 10. I find the decreasing number can be more of a motivation than the increasing one.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Orion Antares said:

Try count down from 10 instead of up to 10. I find the decreasing number can be more of a motivation than the increasing one.

I will give that a shot. It's mostly a concentration issue I think. I just get myself mixed up and forget where I was at..

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I had thought about that, partly in terms of wondering if I am building up an imbalance. i.e. if and when I ever get the bench together, am I going to be working out a sticking point a couple of inches over my chest while the rest of the movement is easy?

I had planned on incorporating more ring work in my routine at some point, as I kinda fell off doing much BW work somewhere along the way. Need to revisit.

Your situation is outside of my experience, so I'm not quite sure what will happen long term... let us know if you find out :P. If nothing else, I guess it's an incentive to get the bench together (or turn into a big fat guy with short arms :P)!

I just started working with my rings again! Ring push-ups are ridiculously hard... I have to do mine at a pretty steep incline. I think they're helping my regular push-ups, though. Verdict's out on whether they're helping my bench yet.

Also, I quite like the instructional vids. I'll be checking out the Juggernaut site for sure. I know a couple of warriors who have, or are currently doing the program.

2 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

They have a lot of really good free resources - I wish I'd found them earlier. I tried Juggernaut myself and it floored me - partly because I wasn't use to the volume, but also because I think I do better when I undulate the difficulty of my workout sessions during the week (vs. having everything get progressively heavier across all lifts, like in Juggernaut). I also like having a higher frequency for each lift (which, to be fair, you can do with Juggernaut, just with some tweaking). These days I do my own programming based on the principles from Juggernaut's Marisa Inda's lifting book for women, and a Juggernaut video on undulating periodization.

Lol. Well I probably wouldn't jump right in and start it Monday. I am not entirely sure I could count to 10 with a barbell in my hands at this point ;) I might do some research though.

Ha, yeah, I lose track sometimes too. I try to film most of my hard sets so I can double-check that I counted correctly afterwards. Anything over 5, and I'll often divide by two when I count... so 8 becomes 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. Makes it a little easier psychologically, too :P. I should try the counting backwards method sometime...

• Like 1