• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber squat, etc form check

22 hours ago, Grumble said:

Watch the hip rotation at the top of the squat. From the angle of the videoyour hips look as if they are rotating far forward. It looks like you're breaking the 'stack' you create when you set for the squat, potential setting up for pain and suffering down the road.

Opinion. Squats seem fast, I almost thought you weren't hitting parallel you were bouncing right back out of the hole so quickly. I had to slow the video to .25 speed to see you were. Also, and this relates to the hip thing I think, but on the last rep you started walking back to the rack before you were completely vertical.

Deadlift: I love the setup, I love the start, I love the top of the lift. I don't love the swing I'm seeing as you try to get the bar around your knees. Again, hard to tell with the camera angle, but your knees are directing your bar path and it appears to be hitting your thighs as opposed to riding up them. I'm not quite sure how to explain how to fix this in words that make sense, cause all I can come up with is let the bar dictate where your knees go and not the other way around. It's kind of like where they used to drag the bar up the shins, but without being stupid about it.

Maybe Jim Stoppani can do better than me.

I think you are saying my hips are hyper extending/ coming too far forward at the top of the squat? (Let me know if that assumption is incorrect.) That, along with not standing fully upright before dashing forward to re-rack are old habits that tend to crop up when I am not thinking about it. I'll be more mindful of that next session. Re: speed, since the weights are lighter, I have been running these sets pretty quickly. But it sounds like I would do well to (literally) slow my butt down. The whole point of the extra volume is to have more practice of good reps, so speed does not necessarily help my cause.

Spoiler

^^ I did a triple with the same weight and at the same angle as original vid this morning for comparison. More in line with normal speed. (Still had the hips a bit, but better than Monday's set.)

Re: deadlifts. I had to laugh a little because keeping the bar against me was my entire focus for Thursday's session and I still did not get it quite right. Just could not figure out the geometry for getting my knees out of the way. More youtube in my future, including the one you shared. (Juggernaut is doing a series on them too, so hopefully something finally clicks for me.)

22 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Did you ever end up trying a wider stance?

I did, but I think I got too wide with it because I started having my right knee cave inward on me (I'm sure there's a nice technical term for that somewhere.)

22 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

They're different angles so it's hard to tell! But I did a screenshot compare:

your back looks to be more engaged and upright in the Feb video. There almost seems to be a bit of rounding in the Jan video which isn't there now!

21 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

I'm seeing a lot of improvement in your movements. Keep up the good work. 

17 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Nothing to add, but wanted to be supportive and say "Good job!"

And to all of you, from the bottom of this nerd's heart, I just wanted to say a big

giphy.gif

Y'all really are the best!! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I did, but I think I got too wide with it because I started having my right knee cave inward on me (I'm sure there's a nice technical term for that somewhere.)

yes, there is. it's called knee cave ;)  hahaha just kidding i'm sure there is a MORE technical term.

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2018 at 10:11 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

I think you are saying my hips are hyper extending/ coming too far forward at the top of the squat? (Let me know if that assumption is incorrect.)

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I did a triple with the same weight and at the same angle as original vid this morning for comparison. More in line with normal speed. (Still had the hips a bit, but better than Monday's set

Hips GIF - Hips GIFs

The last rep, amusingly enough, was perfect. It's almost like you feel the need to slingshot your hips back when in the middle of the reps, but when you're done, you hold steady.

Just could not figure out the geometry for getting my knees out of the way

Maybe take the weights off entirely and spend a session or two just practicing the movement. Something that worked for me. Start the lift, pause at the bottom of the knee and figure out how to move your knees out of the way and keep the body in alignment. It makes for some funny positioning while you play with body movements, but it definitely helped me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Grumble said:

The last rep, amusingly enough, was perfect.

giphy.gif

I got one right, yay!! Now I just need to come up with a more clever cue than "HIPS!!!@$" and get over the fact that it feels like I am not standing all the way up/finishing the rep.

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

Maybe take the weights off entirely and spend a session or two just practicing the movement. Something that worked for me. Start the lift, pause at the bottom of the knee and figure out how to move your knees out of the way and keep the body in alignment. It makes for some funny positioning while you play with body movements, but it definitely helped me.

I will give that a shot. So many of the vids I've seen, the lifter's knees seem to start moving back out of the way before the bar even gets there.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

yes, there is. it's called knee cave ;)  hahaha just kidding i'm sure there is a MORE technical term.

Knee Valgus

On 2/26/2018 at 5:09 PM, Grumble said:

The last rep, amusingly enough, was perfect. It's almost like you feel the need to slingshot your hips back when in the middle of the reps, but when you're done, you hold steady.

On 2/27/2018 at 2:07 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

I got one right, yay!! Now I just need to come up with a more clever cue than "HIPS!!!@$" and get over the fact that it feels like I am not standing all the way up/finishing the rep.

I did it for the longest time as well, and for the same reason, it felt like I wasn't finishing the rep. One thing that helped me was just learnign to be ok with being done a rep once my knees were straight and not feeling like I had to full extend my hips. But, more than that, I started making that torso forward starting point my base stance right after I unracked. Your reps end there because that's your perfectly stacked position, so it shoud be where you're starting the first rep from as well.

Just watched the OHP. It's pretty solid, but there's a few nitpicks. It looks like you're bending back mid torso to get the bar past your face, then rotating your rib cage back down to get under the bar. This joint should be solid the whole time. Think about clenching your abs and holding your rib cage down, so when you lean back, your whole body is moving, it's really just a slight rotation at the ankle joint. You can tell you're doing it right if you can see some forward/backward movement in your upper legs when the bar goes up and down in front of your face.

Don't let the above cue make you start beindg from the hips though. Squeeze your glutes and thrust your pelvis foward the whole time. You're doing a good job of that now, but sometimes when cuing the ribs down, people stick their butt out. It just results in the same movement issue at a different joint.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Knee Valgus

I did it for the longest time as well, and for the same reason, it felt like I wasn't finishing the rep. One thing that helped me was just learnign to be ok with being done a rep once my knees were straight and not feeling like I had to full extend my hips. But, more than that, I started making that torso forward starting point my base stance right after I unracked. Your reps end there because that's your perfectly stacked position, so it shoud be where you're starting the first rep from as well.

Just watched the OHP. It's pretty solid, but there's a few nitpicks. It looks like you're bending back mid torso to get the bar past your face, then rotating your rib cage back down to get under the bar. This joint should be solid the whole time. Think about clenching your abs and holding your rib cage down, so when you lean back, your whole body is moving, it's really just a slight rotation at the ankle joint. You can tell you're doing it right if you can see some forward/backward movement in your upper legs when the bar goes up and down in front of your face.

Don't let the above cue make you start beindg from the hips though. Squeeze your glutes and thrust your pelvis foward the whole time. You're doing a good job of that now, but sometimes when cuing the ribs down, people stick their butt out. It just results in the same movement issue at a different joint.

Thanks! I'll give those a try in the morning and see what happens.