• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sympatico

Going to try running for a change...

Hey.

I think I'd like to try running as an alternative to other working away from home style work outs for a bit to see how it fits with me.

I'm not going to start anything until Monday - Monday being the day I will be able to get a fresh shirt. (I'll need to remember to pack another shirt and shorts for these sort of activities).

While looking for where to start, I've done something very uncharacteristic for me and started with a goal in mind first. Should I decide running is going to work for me, I'd like to be able to run 5k for now. After that, if it's going well, I'd like to get a sub 30 min 5k or even less if it looks like my body would be able to handle it. (Baby steps first and at this point I'm thinking of using it part of a grander long term fitness plan. Again, if it works for me).

With those goals in mind, a C25K sounds like the right point and had thought about trying out the Zombies Run! app. If I had stopped looking around after that it'd probably all be OK but I'm a long term Underpants Gnome and as such I found references on NF linking back to the Strength Running website.

I suppose I'm really wanting to discover if it's be worth forking out a few dollars and reading the SR material on injury prevention (is there really that much of it about?) and their take on strength training and so on would be the better route to take over just using the ZR app.

I know there are people who have experience with one or the other but was hoping for possibly a comparison of the two.

Thanks in advance for any help in this area.

- Sympatico

From my experience, the most important thing for running is to learn the skill of running. Most people (myself included when I started running), go outside to run and smash the pavement (usually through a heel strike), and end up with shin splints only a few weeks into running. 

If you focus on running as a skill, learn how to POSE or Chi run (basically forefoot strike with a heel kiss), then you'll be able to run faster, for longer, and be injury free. Power Speed Endurance (site and book) would be a good place to learn running as a skill.

Combine that with basic strength training (squats, lunges, core work), and you'll strengthen your muscles such that they're less likely to get injured.

Now I don't actually know if Strength Running teaches exactly that (my guess is it does). So I think it would be worth reading up on.

However we need to stop collecting underpants, so here's my suggestions on what you should do

1. Download Zombies Run or C25k app and go for a run right now.
  2. Pay attention to how you feel during your run
  3. After your run, as a reward, go read up on strength running (and maybe purchase the course)
  4. Next run, implement skill/SR stuff.

The point of the above is you start running and start developing the habit of running. Then you collect more underpants.

Hope this helps

I'm not versed on the fine details of these programs BUT I did my own c25k program last October.

ofc you can and should absorb everything you can find on this-- but Know too, it doesn't have to be very complicated.

I ran my c25k with NO apps; but a peice of paper and a watch/timer showing elapsed time.  I've bought a GPS fitness watch since; but I still find it more useful to run with it with an awareness of my current speed; and a relatively simple handwritten plan.  (be it intervals or whatever)..

As for injury prevention the single, most important idea there (IMHO) is to constantly be listening to your body.   Discomfort is to be expected, high HR and the occasional (passing) shortness of breath.  Pain; anything stinging or sharp is a big alarm bell and you Must stop it if it develops.  Also important is to wear good running shoes and stick to beginner friendly surfaces.

my c25k Went wonderful, and since last fall I've gone from being able to run for barely a few minutes at a time-- to be comfortable with Fast speeds and up to a 5 mile distance.

I must say that, though, that your plan on a sub30 5k is a very, very high standard for a beginner!  I still expect I am 1-2 months away from that.

ofc I sometimes Have surprised myself....

Running has been a weird experience, where

things I thought were going to be hard (done regularly) weren't and despite these New abilities, "running" seems hard (espacially at the beginning of a run).

be patient, give it time, and Don't let the information you can find on running; overwhelm you desire to start.  Running is really pretty simple. GL.

On 1/7/2018 at 12:47 AM, james452 said:

From my experience, the most important thing for running is to learn the skill of running. Most people (myself included when I started running), go outside to run and smash the pavement (usually through a heel strike), and end up with shin splints only a few weeks into running. 

I've recently written a blog on this very subject. Heel striking get's a bad wrap. It's not devil that we make it out to be. That being said, the smashing the pavement thing is a huge problem. If you read this, you may understand form a bit better and avoid the pitfalls most of us went through before they ail you.....

http://missionstuffs.blogspot.com/2018/01/heel-strike-its-not-just-for-discipline.html

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

• Like 1

Very close to a subpar 5k run this afternoon for my noonday run.

so....

I can't honestly say its months away for me.  depending on what part of the run you count... I did a 5k mileage in 30:10.

I have a weekly routine that includes runs designed to increase my speed.  apparently this is working...

----

Keep in mind I couldn't run more than 10minutes (at any speed) without extra gasping in Mid October.  so apparently I gained sub 30 5k with about 3 months of training.

(but do keep in mind I had a big athletic program with lots of hiking in place before That-  I was sedentary in May.)

• Like 1

I'm with TGP on listening to your body. I have had some issues since I started running in September and have added good warm-up and knee strengthening (my weak spot) exercises to the run. I have not had any pain for the last few weeks. If you start slowly, you'll get a feeling soon enough.

I tried the C25K but hated it, didn't go fast enough for me so I just ran on feeling or until I was out of breath. And build it up like that. There are a few links to the warm-up, exercises and videos on running form that were quite interesting in my current challenge. Apparently how your foot ends the street is a result of everything you do with the rest of your body.

• Like 1