• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GregT.

Greg T. Proclaimes "To mediocrity and beyond! 2018"

What a great couple of days! Thanks for sharing! 

It's really nice of you to help her learn to cook better. 

On breaking a person's ribs with their own femur... wow. Just wow. 

Good luck in swing next week!

• Like 1

ODIN!

Well, the week has been a mixed bag so far.

Sunday I knew that I was not going to be working out due to a mandatory visit to main office for a security update.  Little did I know that I was also going to be given an assignment that needed to be completed by Open of Business on Monday EST.  So I was up until midnight Sunday doing that.  I still didn't finish but decided that 4 hours of sleep was better than no hours of sleep.  I got up, did my daily routine, and went to work.  Luckily work was a bit slow and I finished the project early and got an atta boy.  I believe this is going to lead me to having more of these things dropped on me, but whatcha gunna do?

I got off work and went to the gym, my partner of the broken rib was not there so I implemented plan Z.  I hit machines instead of free weights.  It was chest back day so used the chest machine and did 5 sets of chest in the standard BP location then adjusted the seat to do both upper ( incline) and lower ( decline) presses.  I super setted this with seated rows, so I got a little carried away with the seated rows, but I really like them lol.  After I finished that I moved over to the free weight section and started in on straight bar curls.  I have a mini challenge for me to curl 60 kg (135 lb.) by mid Feb, a little Valentine’s Day present to me.  So I grabbed the straight full bar off the bench press, oh it was just me and Rav there yesterday it is nice having your own private gym, and did a warm up of just bar (20kg).  I didn’t even think about it, I just did it.  Then I threw 2 10 kg plates on for 40 kg (90 lbs.).  I did 2 sets of that to 10, and felt good so I threw another 5 kg on each side so 50 kg (115 lbs.) I did a set of 5 and then said let’s put a 2.5 kg on, so now I am at 55 kg (125 lbs.) and I did two sets of 3 with that and I have a picture of it.  Just haven’t loaded it to imgur.  I was happy.  It has been all mental.  I am very sure that on Thursday I am doing 60 kg (135 lb.) it is happening.  I was 5 kg off and I didn’t try it because I was tired at that point.  I am owning this.  I am now changing my goal to hit 70 kg (155 lb.)By Feb 14 I can do this. I am a large mammal, my mind is made up.  The weight is going to go up and down!  So finished that and moved to dead lift.  I did a variation of standard DL by grabbing the carry handle of the weight on either side it was different.  I only did 155 lb. on it as I had never done it before but did 5 sets of 10, and was really dripping when I was finished.  Cleared the bar and put it away, then did reverse curls, followed by 5 sets of hammer curls with dumbbell.  I was tired sweaty but felt good, so I went down changed into swim trunks and got in the pool.  I did 1000m of breast stroke and on my last 2 lengths I was surprised to hear someone talking right next to me.  I got finished and looked up to see the pool swim trainer walking along next to me with an Emirate talking and gesturing toward me.  It seems that the instructor was teaching the Emirate to swim, and was using me as he put it “Perfect form for breast stroke” That felt pretty good.  The instructor was asking me where I learned it, and said I learned it when I was a boy, but 25 years ago, when I was in the USN, I decided I wanted to get my form right, so I broke down the movement and practiced each component and then put it together and still going slow I swam thousands of laps making sure I had the form right.  Now it is just how I do it. 

My form in the pool:

tumblr_nhjie4wwrF1u3wer6o1_500.gif

It is really nice to get kudos like that.  I have noticed I am getting them pretty often now.  It seems that doing this is making more impact than just on me :)

As Always thanks for visiting and all your support.

ODIN!

• Like 4

On 1/28/2018 at 12:28 PM, GregT. said:

It also turns out why she thought the food was flavorless was she was using no spices at all, not even salt.  She somehow got it in her head that spices were bad.  So when I put the list of spices we would be picking up at the store she almost choked lol.  I told her we would also pick up food to make a healthy lunch, by healthy I mean Whole 30 cause that is what I am doing, so we had Pan Seared  Sea Brim fillet, steamed Asparagus, and riced potatoes with ghee, and garlic.  She said she was not fond of fish, but loved what I made.  Apparently she spices nothing.  I made a simple ghee garlic and salt sauce to cook the fish in and then sautéed some onion to put over the top.  Yeah she was surprised how easy it was to completely change her mind with something so simple.  So I have her set up with cooked Minced beef ( 1kg) in a bowl with a bit of salt and some garlic in it, 2kg of boneless skinless chicken breast seasoned with salt pepper and garlic in containers ready to be heated or eaten over salad greens.  A bunch , I'm not sure  how much other than a pot full, of boiled potatoes, and roasted sweet potatoes. We also have several quart sized Ziploc bags full of diced bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and sliced squash in her fridge and freezer.  I had her buy several cans of diced tomatoes and tomato paste.  She commented that she was not having pasta, I chuckled.  I told her how you can use those things to make many dishes from Swiss steak, to chicken cacciatore  with the ingredients she had already prepped with adding n some spices some veggies and tomatoes.  I think she is seeing the light that it doesn't have to be hard.  It took us 2 hours to prep everything and she was a bit put of by the time, but I told her that it goes faster, as I had to show her what to do each time and we were setting it up for the first time.  I told her if you buy half as much as you did today every week, and prep it so you always have half or more you are golden.  I also had here buy 30 eggs.  I told her if she really has no time, or forgets to take something out eggs are the go to.  Just cook them up and throw in veggies and make an omelet, frittata, or just fried eggs and you have a fast easy low mess nutritious meal.   All in all I think she got it and we will see if she keeps it up.

This was me up until last year.  Thanks to NF and the suggestion to level up more than just fitness categories I have entered the world of cooking and I am constantly amazed at how you can make so many great things from just a few combinations of ingredients and spices.

Also, the roadtrip sounds like it was EPIC!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

Also, the roadtrip sounds like it was EPIC!

It was.  I am just excited and a bit disappointed.  I can't wait to recreate these road trips when my wife gets here.  When you do these things alone it is almost like they didn't happen. 

• Like 1

ODIN!

Well it is the last official day of Whole30.  I have been good teh entire time with the only exception to the plan being, I have recorded what I ate on MFP,  I was doing it not to count calories but to see if I was estimating correctly before and I was. :)

Todays meal was the standard 6 eggs, peppers, mushrooms, and onions scramble.  With a cup of black Kona coffee, brought back by a colleague over Christmas.  Lunch was Chicken Breast, green beans, and a handful of cashews, 3 Clemntines and a small gala apple.  I just finished an early dinner so I can make it to the dance thing tonight,  It was Salmon and Spinach sautéed in Ghee.  The Spinach was steamed and served with Ghee and salt.  

edavhWj.jpg

I am Absolutely starving.  I just ate that bad boy and I am still hungry like I didn't eat.  I have another portion that size in reserve that I may eatwhe I get home if I am still hungry.  I am going to have a couple of dates and some cashews to finish this meal off.  I am also going to do about 500 ml of water.

I went to the gym and got in a great workout.  I did legs and shoulders today.  It seems without my workout partner and my penchant for super setting, I was done with my lift in 45 mins hitting all the reps and sets I had planned.  I then went to the pool, my shrt looked like I fell in before I changed :)  I got in another 45 mins of breast stroke I did somewhere just north of 1000m.  I lost count but know I did 1000m at least based on time I was swimming.  I think it was actually 1150, but Im not positive.  

I a now planning to leave for Dance class in 25 mins.  

I will update this post tomorrow and let everyone know how dance class went.

I'm feeling good, tired but I am happy I am smiling more and I feel like I am doing stuff.  I haven't watched teh idiot box in 9 days. I use it to drive my stereo and listen to Spotify.  

Thanks again for coming by and the encouragement.

this is the last of the month for food, let me know if you think I should continue to post it or if it is just wasting band width.

Sorry for typos, I am running late.

ODIN!

• Like 4

ODIN!

I have been blessed with GAINZ!

Whole 30 is officially over even though I am going to continue as I like the eating style.  I am going to try and add in a little Dairy in the form of cheese, I do like cheese.

Well I weighed in this morning.  I am down just over 9 lbs and lost 3 inches on my abdomen.  WHO HOO!  This has not been a stellar workout month either so I am very excited about the losses.  I have also increased my water intake to 5 L per day.  Even with the extra water, I lost real weight!  I have been feeling better in general and lighter.  I know 9 lbs is not that much but I mean overall, I feel lighter on my feet.  It is hard to explain.  I have had strange urges to go for runs, didn't happen but had urge. :)  So overall I think it is an unqualified success!

Dance class last night was Meh.  I met Nikki, the lady that I met in Dubai that does tango 5 days week and competes that wanted to take swing with me.  Well It is is Jive/swing and it is a strange beast compared to the Western swing I used to do.  We both decided that the school was not for us, and she with her dance scene connections in Dubai is looking for a different school.  I am hopeful we can find what we are looking for.  I did ok at the dancing, but they were not playing Swing and had several other classes going and I kept getting my feet off from instructors count to the beat of the music since they were different.  I also started to remember the Western swing and it was manifesting itself in the Jive dance and it is different enough that well, I didn't like it.

I am going to look at going to a salsa class soon.   Nikki gave me a name of a really good instructor that does group classes so I am going to contact him.

Well time to get to work.  I am just stoked at the loss and excited to see if it keeps going.  If this keeps going I could be under 300 lbs (136 kg) for the first time in 17 years, as soon as start of April.  If I can pull that off, I will have gone down 54 pounds 25kg since I started really trying in July.  

Thanks for all of your support and advice.  Have a Funky Rasta Wednesday!

ODIN!

Edited by GregT.
typos
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Okay so 9lbs is great first off, especially if the month wasnt great for workouts

I am really liking the Whole30 concept of eating.  I think actually adding in more carbs, I was sub 50 per day and averaged about 20 per day for 4 months.  I am now sub 100 and around 90 per day.  The idea of eating protein in eggs, or meat and then a bunch of vegetables is kind of no brainer lol.  I am full, and I am not having weird cravings.  I had a little trouble at the beginning of the challenge but just like 2 or 3 random days.  As for water increase.  I am feeling much better and I have not had a single headache for the month that was not actual illness induced ( Cold).  I believe I was dehydrated and if I missed my 2 l of water by even a little I would get a dehydration headache.  Plus all that water means my muscle soreness is gone much faster as well as better skin and less hunger pain. 

So far I am happy with what is happening and I thank all of you.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GregT. said:

Well I weighed in this morning.  I am down just over 9 lbs and lost 3 inches on my abdomen.  WHO HOO!  

Don't talk your progress down, this is a fantastic result! Well done! :D 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2018 at 7:42 AM, GregT. said:

at 55 kg (125 lbs.) and I did two sets of 3 with that and I have a picture of it.  Just haven’t loaded it to imgur. 

Photos! Where? Where?

On 1/30/2018 at 7:42 AM, GregT. said:

“Perfect form for breast stroke” That felt pretty good. 

Oh it is so nice to get some good feedback for all the effort you've put in.

And you are still so busy, my head is spinning, but all seems good.

Wait... you lost 25kg since July? Is that July 2017? Serious? Wow!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Photos! Where? Where?

Thanks for reminding me.  I had forgotten!

Thats right me in all my glory!  With the Squat you must shirt, from Degeba Gym!

PPo0zi4.jpg

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Wait... you lost 25kg since July? Is that July 2017? Serious? Wow!

Nope not quite yet.  If I keep the same loss pace I had this month, I will have lost 25 kg by April 1 of this year.  I started trying In July 2017.

Thanks for the Compliment though.

It reminds me I need to look for a Salsa class.   UMMM Salsa

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, GregT. said:

Nope not quite yet.  If I keep the same loss pace I had this month, I will have lost 25 kg by April 1 of this year.  I started trying In July 2017.

I'm still impressed with how you are doing so far, and your gusto to keep going :loyal: and trying everything :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ODIN!

Well, played volley ball yesterday with lab team, We won in 3 games, 15-10L, 16-14 W. 16-14 W so yeah us.  Then I went and swam 1000m.  no lifting it was scheduled rest day.  O am back to the gym today.  I got invited by a local after yesterday to go up to Al Ain and lit with them on Next Friday morning.  So I am going t plan on that.  hopefully the logistics work out.  I just feel odd that some people want me to go lift with them.  Im not exactly, ok not at all a fitness model lol.  But hey, I'll go.  give me a chance to work out at another place.  

The big news is last night and I am saddened to report o it.  I have been craving Pizza for about a week.  not a constant craving, but when it is mentioned I think " boy that would be good."  Well now that whole 30 is over, I decided I would get some pizza and satiate that craving.  I ordered my normal from the local pizza shop I like and waited for its arrival.  It arrived and I opened the box, and it was just the way I like it.  It just didn't trip my trigger.  I looked at it and said, oh.  I grabbed a slice and bit into it expecting a euphoric rush of yum.  It didn't happen.  In fact it was eh.  I ate a lot of it.  I noticed not because I was hungry but it was there.  I threw it out as soon as I noticed this. Now for the sad part.  About an hour after I ate it.  I got a headache.  I felt myself get sluggish and felt blah.  I think my love for pizza has ended.  I like it, and I am sure I will have more in the future but the shiny just isn't there any more. Damn you healthy eating!  Damn you to HELL!  

you-blew-it-up-o.gif

I don't mean that I am just surprised that it has turned like this.  I guess it is for the best.  I noticed it when I was on holiday over Christmas.  I was eating what I normally did with little tastes of teh "Forbidden" items and then not every time they ere available.  A friend asked me the other day what my favorite food was and I honestly couldn't pick one.  Not because there are so many I love, it is just that all food is now meh.  I have no favorite.  I like all kinds but nothing gets me excited any longer.  Maybe it is from the years of having what I want when I want so nothing has any real significance any longer.  Or maybe I have just grown bored.  Anyway, I hope to figure out a way to actually use this to my advantage.  Maybe Health Suppliment package number 6 is in my future.

Anyway, I am having a nice breakfast right now, ground beef, peppers onions and mushrooms mixed in with 2 eggs, all the eggs I had left, I am having a bit of a crisis since I am out of eggs, I don't know how I allowed this to happen.

Going to gym after work today, Chest back arms.  No swim today as the pool is closed after 11 am on Thursday through Saturday.  

Tomorrow, I am thinking about going to the beach after I do my grocery shopping and am meeting a friend in Dubai for STEAK!  We are going to ruth Chris, I have never been to one before.  I have been to Smith and Wollenski and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Ruth Chris.

CIAO!

ODIN!

thanks for visiting and no pics today Just me rambling on.  I got nothing back on the food pics so I am going to take them and stoop posting.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GregT. said:

We are going to ruth Chris, I have never been to one before.

I have been before but was a little disappointed.  The steak was fine, but just didn't match up with the hype.  It might have been a problem of reality not meeting with unrealistic expectations, but they were certainly not the best steak I have ever had

• Thanks 1

ODIN!

Well, today boys and girls was different.  Three of us showed up to the gym to wrk out and got changed and everything was shiny and bright.  Then one of us that got changed first, went up to the gym just to come don and tell us the Gym was locked.  We searched and searched, but no way in was found.  We hollered, and cried" Oh no my gains!  I will lose them all!"  I already took my pre-workout what will I do?"  But it was to empty space for none of the people that work at the gym were there.  SO our three fearless gym rats started to plan One said " I was tempted to just not show up anyway today. This settles it I'm going home". two which the other two gym rats said" but wait we can do body weight exercises!"  But all the gym rat left for the comfort of home.  the other two gym rats were looking perplexed, trying to decide what to do.  Then they realized they were on the same basketball team and have a game on Wednesday.  So with smiles and jokes they went out and proceeded to run drills and shoot baskets for 90 minutes.  Much sweat was expelled, man calories were burned and even some laughs were had.  So the moral is, when they lock you out of the gym, you figure out something else for today but don't wuss out and go home.  Also leaving Upper deckers for the gym employees that didn't show up or tel the intrepid gym rats that they were not open on Thursday and should use the old gym, to clean up.  ( we did not do this, but it was some of the cause for mirth that occurred.)

11424314_874201452615130_1902225013_n.jp

So I did not get the chance to do 60 kg curls today because they locked me out.  I am going to game night tonight and I may kill off the party I am doing, and I mean dead , dead.  No coming back.  I am getting kinda bored with the campaign.  t would be a great campaign if they would stop doing so much BS and let me move the game along.  We have been playing for 2 months with some minor breaks in the 3 months since I stared and we are only 6 days into the campaign in game time.  This should not be happening.

TPK.jpg

Anyway,  Hope everyone has a great weekend, mine starts now but I go to work on Sunday, but for today :P

thanks for coming by, and turn out the lights the you go like we did at the gym.

• Like 5

ODIN!

Ok, I am a gluten , for punishment that is :)

I decided I have been short of sleep a while and was falling asleep at 2130 last night at game night despite a strong cup of coffee.  So I slept in , to 6 am :apologetic:  I fought that off however, daylight and not being tired won't stop me no siren.  I forced myself to have poopy sleep until 10 am.  I woke up ad had a nice hollow feeling in my stomach and then remembered " You were going to get up early today so you could get to the market and buy eggs."  So I got up, had a shower, made a cup of coffee, and ate 150 g of pre-made ground beef, onions and mushrooms over my sink, cause you can't go to the market list or no hungry.  I got all my shopping done, put it all away and then in disgust decided I needed to clean my kitchen, rearrange the counter tops, then the drawers so I am guaranteed to not find anything when I need it for the next 3 weeks.  I got done with that and was hungry again.  I made up a simple chicken stew a few days ago in my slow cooker and had a bowl of that, once I found where I moved the spoons too.  

the-kitchen-is-clean-dr-evil-quote-meme-

Having filled myself with chicken goodness, I decided I needed to do a workout today even though it is a designated rest day, kinda like Wednesday when I played volleyball and did 1000 m swim anyway.  I'm and idiot.  So I went for a walk.  By walk I mean a 5 k trek through the not currently burning sands around my villa.  And by walk I mean sometimes when I wasn't  jogging for 2 mins walk 2 mins repeat.  Did I mention I am an idiot that just did a bunch of basketball YESTERDAY AND WHOSE KNEES ARE SORE AND STIFF TODAY?  No well it doesn't matter because I knew it and did it anyway.  I am supposed to meet a friend up in Dubai tonight and we are going out for dinner then meeting a group of her friends and go dancing!  Sounds great, on my knees.  Maybe I can persuade them to go karaoke instead?  

1dfecfda4919d63c33eca9bb8ebff97c--mr-cho

Have a great Friday y'all,  thanks for coming by and always remember, I appreciate your support. 

• Like 4

ODIN!

I was a slug yesterday.  I freely and openly admit to doing nothing but a light walk, and lounging on my couch watching movies.  Ok I did re-arrange the kitchen more and do some prepping and cooking but that is not difficult. 

I also ate crap, and too much of it.  I am officially on the Whole 30 bandwagon again as of this morning.  This weekend I gave into all of the evils I have banished to see what would happen.  On Friday night I went to Ruth Chris for dinner had a lovely Filet for dinner and two pints of Guinness.  The Beer went down good too.  I then went for a 2 hour walk around the fountain at Burj Khalifa and 40 minutes of that was wondering around trying to find my car in the parking garage.  Then Woke up on Saturday morning, had a big bowl of nothing , and a cup of coffee.  Then 2 scrambled eggs.  Then 4 more later.  Then I ordered a Quiche Lorraine, cream of mushroom soup, and a side salad.  It came with bread which I ate along with the butter.  Oh I also ordered a pecan tart and ate that too.  Yeah I had quite the pig out.  The only thing I learned from all of this was that yeah it tasted pretty good, especially the pecan tart, but I was hungry all day.  Carbs just don't do it for me.  So Back to whole 30 and being content.  I had no real side effects to what I was eating so I feel confident a little parmesan cheese on a Caesar salad, or some dairy in a soup, let alone a couple croutons will not endanger me.  So eating out will be a bit easier.  I also know that I don't really need those things, even from a taste vector.  Anyway.  Today is different, headed to gym after work, Chest, Back, Arms, Lats day.  I am going for 60 kg ( 135 lb) on curl today, it is going to go up and down like a great big up and down thing.  Then I am going swimming.  My work out partner is coming back today, he's a big boy if he wants to be an idjit I can't stop him.  then after swimming I have an American football that showed up over the weekend and we are going to toss that about.  I also in the same package received my TRX basic kit.  I will be setting that up tonight and trying it out for morning use.  I am planning to add in some of the TRX stuff for non-lift days and for part of morning routine. 

Anyway.  Its back on track time and this train is going coast to coast!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, GregT. said:

I then went for a 2 hour walk around the fountain at Burj Khalifa

jealousy-intensifies.jpg

It sounds like a fun let loose day and we all need those once in a while!

• Like 3

ODIN!

Odin be praised he has blessed me with STRENGTH GAIN!  I did 3 reps of 135 lb ( 60Kg) today of straight bar curl.  This has inspired me to initiate a new format for my challenges.  I am happy with my overall year goals and am just going to track them on the year basis.  I am going to make Mini-bosses for the 4 week challenges.  For example this next challenge is going to be Level 1 Mini boss, 65 kg straight bar curl, then 70 Kg level 1 boss.  I am going to get more of these together for each challenge.  I hope that if it works I can come up with stats to go with them D&D style.  Then I can look at moving stats up.  I am thinking of basing it on standard expected strength points for a normal man.  So if you weigh X you should be able to lift X with Y movement.  I am not capable of doing it for my actual weight, I would crush my chest and rip off my arms, but I am willing to go for the points I am close to or benchmarks like 135 lb curl.  

This is the image of what I feel I did to 135!

164246697-duke-nukem-wallpapers.jpg

Anyway I had a good gym day.  I did Back, Chest, Arms.  I started with Curls because I wanted to be fresh, this boss was going down!  I got the boss, and then just did 40 Kg for 3 sets of 10.  Felt light after the 60 kg.  ERRRCK!  I forgot the Dumbbell presses I did 5 sets of 10 with 36 kg. Then jumped over and did single arm dumbbell decline curls.  I did 5 sets of 10 of those, with 14 kg.  Then moved t Seated Rows, with 5 sets of 10  40 kg, 50 kg, 55 kg, 50 kg, and 45 kg.   Because I apparently hate my testes, I then did Hip thrusts with 60 KG as well.  I really need to find a pool noodle to cut for some padding.  By the 5th set of 10 , I was nearly crying , not from the lift but the pain across my pelvis.  Got done with those, and moved to Side rows, did 5 sets of 10 each side, 24kg, 32kg, 34kg, 36kg, 38kg.  38's were tough I had to shake it out on the last 2 reps of my left arm to finish.  Moved over to Lat pull downs and did 3 sets of 50 kg.  I was going to do 5 sets but I was spent.  Lastly I went and did Skull crushers with 30 kg.  My triceps are already on fire.  It has only been 2 hours ago. lol.  Finished with my iron supplement I went down and changed to swim trunks and did 1000m breast stroke and 100 meters side stroke to cool down.  I visualized swimmIng from the shore to a bunch of ferry accident survivors.  Each length of teh pool was a tip out and a trip back.  I was pretty motivated, and think I will use that again.  I may even get a torpedo do drag as well.  Josh my gym partner got stuck on a difficult repair issue today and didn't make it, it's ok, he really should rest his ribs.  I am exhausted to the point I didn't want to cook dinner, I was thinking about just drinking a Buch of water and going to bed, but I am short today so need to eat, plus need lunch tomorrow.  Well nothing too exciting, just a good workout with proven gains!

Muscle-Soreness-Muscle-Soreness-Everywhe

thanks for coming by.  I appreciate all of you.

ODIN!

Edited by GregT.
Forgot Dumbbell chest press.
  • Like 6