• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KnitJoy

KnitJoy: 5 minutes or less!

Hello all! I'm am super excited for my first challenge of 2018! For those who don't know me I am a 26 year old teacher and part time couch potato. I know New Year's Resolutions have almost never worked for me in the past, but I made them again this year and hopefully I made them smarter. This challenge I am focusing on things that I can do in less than 5 minutes based on an article by James Clear (How to Stop Procrastinating Using the 2-Minute Rule) and a book I read about making Microresolutions to make big changes.

The Four Habits of the Apocalypse January

1. Brush teeth and wash face everyday -- This is simple and graded on did I brush my teeth once and wash my face once. The ideal time is for this to happen in the morning before school, but evening will work as well in a pinch. This will be tracked in my bullet journal. Reward: Burt's Bees Peach Facial Scrub
  2. Open bullet journal everyday -- For this goal I need to open up my bullet journal once a day. This is also being tracked in my bullet journal. Writing things down in it is a bonus. 
  3. No electronics after 8:30 & get ready for tomorrow -- This is graded on me putting away my phone and computer at 8:30. I have an alert on my phone and computer to let me know it's time to put away both. To get ready for the next day I need to pack my backpack, pack my lunch, and lay out clothes for the next day. I am currently tracking my electronics in my bullet journal and will add a tracking for getting ready. No electronics should happen everyday and getting ready should happen Sunday through Thursday. 
  4. Practice Focused Flexibility for 5 minutes each day -- This is graded on did I do one of the four stretches I am supposed to do. I haven't figured out what I can tie this habit to yet. 

Grading & Rewards (stealing this from Zeroh)

60% is a passing grade. If I get 80% in an individual goal, I get a reward for that goal. And if I get 90% overall, I also get a bigger & better reward. 

Reward: Burt's Bees Peach Facial Scrub

Reward: Bullet journal supplies

Reward: Fancy bath bomb

Reward: Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger Tea

Overall Reward: Massage and Mani & Pedi

• Like 4

Week 1 is pretty much in the books, lets take a look at how well I have done.

1. Brush teeth and wash face everyday -- 7/7 I have not missed a day, not even on the weekend which are the hardest days. In addition this has been helping me get started quicker in the morning. I have not been sitting around for the first 10 minutes of the day.
  2. Open bullet journal everyday -- 7/7 This habit has been very easy, I have been marking the days in my bullet journal and writing down things to do.
  3. No electronics after 8:30 & get ready for tomorrow -- 6/7 The only day that I missed was Friday night, but that is not a big deal as I don't have school on Saturdays.
  4. Practice Focused Flexibility for 5 minutes each day -- 0/7 I still have time to do this goal today but so far I have not done this one time. I do not have a set time or place to do this. I am getting a massage tomorrow and will redo the BAP at that time and then I will make a point of stretching first thing when I get home from school. 

For week 2:

• Focus on Focused Flexibility, I want to be able to report a huge improvement for next week
  • Post on Nerdfitness twice
  • Continue doing well with everything else
  • Like 1

Week 2 Report:

1. Brush teeth and wash face everyday -- 7/7 Still going strong on this one. Yesterday I forgot to wash my face until right before bed time. Rather than being "too tired" I made wash my face briefly before going to bed. Win!
  2. Open bullet journal everyday -- 7/7 Stil going strong. I'm starting to think that I will not need to track this starting in February and can instead focus on writing things down or organizing things instead.
  3. No electronics after 8:30 & get ready for tomorrow -- 6/7 I missed Thursday night but have been on top of it every other night. 
  4. Practice Focused Flexibility for 5 minutes each day -- 0/7 I am doing really poorly with this goal. 
  • Like 2

I just did my first session of Focus Flexibility. To make this easy for me I am ony focusing on one stretch. Right now that is the Posterior Shoulder Opener. At this point it felt weird and not like traditional stretching but it felt ok.

• Like 1