• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Lenore

Time for Awesome!

Recommended Posts

Hello! I am a nearly-39 year old gal, married with two feline kids. After going back to school, weight crept on and bad habits stuck around, even after graduation. So it's time to get back in shape and get healthy!

 

My goals for this challenge are small - this way I don't get discouraged!

1) Swap out 1 processed food snack each day with a fruit or vegetable.

2) Eat a vegetable with a meal each day.

3) Meet my Apple Watch move goal 5 times each week.

4) Clean my house for 2 minutes each day.

5) Bonus: Limit Facebook to 10 minutes a day.

 

I am hesitant to add too many tracking methods, as those have overwhelmed me in the past. But I plan to check in here once or twice a week, for accountability and tracking.

 

Along with this I am also reading a library book called "Stick With It: A Scientifically Proven Process for Changing Your Life - For Good". Hopefully that book, along with the Level Up book, will finally move me in the right direction!

 

Oh - I have also chosen to pursue a vegan diet, but that's a work-in-progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so maybe I will check in more often! Since I have come up with no other way to track my daily progress, I guess I'll just reply here?!

 

To work on goal #1 and #2 today, I've had 2 green smoothies (one for breakfast and one for lunch), which contained a handful or two of spinach, some flax seed (ground), a banana, and some unsweetened frozen fruit (cherries for breakfast and pineapple for lunch).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck, Lenore. I think you're right to manage but not abandon your association with supportive technology. It can become a millstone if you fall behind or a distraction from productivity. However, it can be brilliant at keeping you going. My wife has a new Fitbit and she really appreciates getting a notification when she's nearing a goal, even if that means walking around the block one last time before coming home in order to get those last few steps into her daily log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lenore said:

Okay so maybe I will check in more often! Since I have come up with no other way to track my daily progress, I guess I'll just reply here?!

 

To work on goal #1 and #2 today, I've had 2 green smoothies (one for breakfast and one for lunch), which contained a handful or two of spinach, some flax seed (ground), a banana, and some unsweetened frozen fruit (cherries for breakfast and pineapple for lunch).

I find I'm at my best when I'm updating daily.  I stick mostly to the facts of what I did.  This gives me strength many times during the day when I want to cheat on diet or skip w/o cause I know I have to report something each night and I want to report something good.  So daily would be my recommendation, even if is short and too the point (which I prefer to read, sometimes I can't figure out if people actually accomplished anything during the day even though they write lengthy posts).

 

I go the smoothie route for breakfast as well.  Mostly cause I can make it the night before and leave for work faster in the morning, but also because I think its pretty healthy.  I go w/ strawberries, bluberries, some milk, and protein powder.  It's actually pretty filling.  I've never tried adding spinach, but I eat 1-2 salads a day and they always include spinach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening!

 

Today I didn't do the best, but I did okay. I had a light "breakfast" of just coffee, and lunch was meat-and-potatoes based, with a baked apple side. Dinner was spaghetti and sauce. Not the best choices, but tomorrow's another day! And I did do laundry, which counts for goal #4. I'm close to closing my Move Ring on my Apple Watch today.

 

See y'all tomorrow!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, Lenore said:

My goals for this challenge are small - this way I don't get discouraged!

1) Swap out 1 processed food snack each day with a fruit or vegetable.

2) Eat a vegetable with a meal each day.

3) Meet my Apple Watch move goal 5 times each week.

4) Clean my house for 2 minutes each day.

5) Bonus: Limit Facebook to 10 minutes a day.

 

I love these goals!! I might steal some of them myself if you didn't mind!  ;)  I agree, tracking daily (or even every other day) is really helpful for me, too. It really does help me stay on track, knowing that I'm going to report on my progress each day - but not in a scary sort of way, because everyone is very encouraging.  :) 

 

On 1/6/2018 at 7:35 PM, peelout said:

sometimes I can't figure out if people actually accomplished anything during the day even though they write lengthy posts

 

tenor.gif 

 

1 hour ago, Lenore said:

Not the best choices, but tomorrow's another day!

 

You got this!!

 

giphy.webp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening, all!

 

So far I'm doing well - had another smoothie for breakfast, and instead of caving for a hot chocolate (brrrr!) I had some toasted nut-and-seed bread with cashew butter. It killed that sweet-tooth craving, and has filled me up pretty well! That checked off goals 1 and 2 for today!

 

Today's been really busy at work (Meltdown/Spectre stuff, boooooo!), so I've kept off Facebook, bonus!

 

I'm at 70% of my move goal for today, and I'm going to go put in some laundry. Phew!

 

Now on to some Udemy classes to round out the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

 

I love these goals!! I might steal some of them myself if you didn't mind!  ;)  I agree, tracking daily (or even every other day) is really helpful for me, too. It really does help me stay on track, knowing that I'm going to report on my progress each day - but not in a scary sort of way, because everyone is very encouraging.  :) 

 

 

You can absolutely steal whatever, I stole most of them from a "how to" post!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hola, all!

 

So the last few days have... not been great. Super stressful work, very cold out (so smoothies don't even SOUND good), plus husband goes and buys a lot of cruddy food. Couple that with low motivation.... yeah. :(  I won't mention all the particulars, since at some point it just gets embarrassing. :apthy:

 

Anyway, I had a decent breakfast this morning (nut and seed bread with cashew butter), and I'm thinking of a smoothie for lunch anyway. Maybe make it more room temperature??

 

Anyway, sorry for the absence, I'm trying to do better. I need plans for when this stuff happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lenore said:

So the last few days have... not been great. Super stressful work, very cold out (so smoothies don't even SOUND good), plus husband goes and buys a lot of cruddy food. Couple that with low motivation.... yeah. :(  I won't mention all the particulars, since at some point it just gets embarrassing. :apthy:

 

Stuff happens - no need to be embarrassed; we've all been there.  :)  What I find helps is to find just one thing related to my challenge goals that I can do on a bad day to start getting it turned back around - if I've been sitting for seven hours, I get up and do a few yoga stretches or push-ups; if I've eaten poorly that day, I try to replace a snack later with a drink of water, or at the very least plan ahead what I'm going to eat the next day - just doing one small thing can help me reset my mindset. It's like I'm declaring to the day that it is not over and I am hereby reclaiming as much of it as I can.

 

But the point is, don't sweat it or beat yourself up - just pick yourself up again and make the next good choice.

 

13 hours ago, Lenore said:

Anyway, I had a decent breakfast this morning (nut and seed bread with cashew butter), and I'm thinking of a smoothie for lunch anyway. Maybe make it more room temperature??

 

That sounds delicious!!!

 

And about the smoothies, I forget, were those to get in your fruit and veggies in, or for protein? Maybe in the winter you need to look for different sources of those nutrients, like steamed veggies or chicken breasts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the way your goals are so specific Lenore! That's so important for actually knowing what you need to do each day to move towards your end-target.

 

Have you considered trying to add your vegetables into your existing recipes? Eg spaghetti sauce can hide a multitude of sins veg. Might be one route if the weather lets you down on the smoothies.

 

Keep it up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 3:11 AM, Marianne said:

Eg spaghetti sauce can hide a multitude of sins veg.

 

My sister does the cooking in our little family, and she puts eggplant or zucchini into our spaghetti - with her flavorful spaghetti sauce, we barely notice it's there.  ;) 

 

How's it going, Lenore??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning! [sorry, this has turned into a mini book... I guess I'm chattier than I thought this morning]

 

Had a few days of all-day meetings and obligations (BUT we went to this AWESOME salad/wrap restaurant called Wicked Greenz, so I totally won on my veggie content on Friday), so I've been doing okay this week.

 

I have a KILLER sinus headache this weekend, but I've been doing okay. I realized that I ate vegan all day yesterday, finishing up with some mushrooms and hummus for a snack. For dinner we had some Frontera (Frontega? whatever) vegan fajitas, which were really good (not too spicy, sweet potatoes, beans, green beans, etc).

 

Anyway, I've been keeping up with the house stuff, too. I started a Bullet Journal (BuJo for those who like the catchy names), which has helped me keep on track and write down ideas / to-dos as they come. I've seen some great options for weekly trackers, so I'll incorporate that at some point.

 

I believe I've been hitting my move goal - some days I go waaay over. I accidentally let me watch run out of battery, so there was one and a half days where I didn't track (because my charger cord was going bad, so I didn't even realize that it wasn't charging - technology fail!).

 

Good news - I am going to look for one vegan meal to try a week, which will also slowly help me build up a pantry of the replacement items (nutritional yeast, etc), so that meals will get faster. This week's meal is garlic white wine pasta with spinach (originally called for brussels sprouts, but we have spinach on hand, so...).

 

We have Weber Grill reservations tonight, which will obviously be meat-based, but I'm not going to stress that. They have really good vegetable options!

 

Also on my to-do today... planning "personal development" time. We both finished up school about 6 months ago, and after a little break have been taking some Udemy classes, but at the usual "hit it hard" pace that we were used to at school. But that doesn't leave a lot of room for meal planning, cooking, exercising, etc. So we're going to swap out "study time" with "personal development time", which can encompass all of those things. I'll be using my BuJo to "theme" my days depending on my expected energy level and remaining time after work (some days we both work from home, some both in various offices, and some days I'm in the office and he's at home).

 

I think that about covers it for today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 11:20 PM, SkyGirl said:

And about the smoothies, I forget, were those to get in your fruit and veggies in, or for protein? Maybe in the winter you need to look for different sources of those nutrients, like steamed veggies or chicken breasts?

 

Oh! And the smoothies were about getting in fruits and vegetables. So I might swap in some stewed apples or something in their place, and add in veggies to other stuff. Now that I hope to "make time" for more meal planning and prep, I can get back to roasting veggies, etc, so that I won't need smoothies. Leave those for the summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon!

 

Been doing pretty well this week with swapping out snacks with healthier alternatives, but it hasn't been fruits or veggies, rather a granola bar or 12-grain toast and cashew butter.

 

I made some vegan "alfredo" sauce with almond milk, cashews, nutritional yeast, and garlic. It's a VERY good and creamy substitute and didn't leave me feeling heavy. That's been dinner the last two evenings.

 

Keeping up with housework has been good as well. Laundry done, dishes put up,  I even cleaned up my computer desk (out of necessity because we switched internet providers).  I've also easily limited Facebook. I think I may have used it 15 minutes in the last 3 days.

 

Move goal is also going well. Haven't finished out this week, but have met it 4 times this week, and have active plans for the weekend (yay for warmer weather!).

 

My only downfall is to choose fruits and vegetables. I forgot to pick up fruit at the grocery store, so that didn't help, and I've been working from home this week with no plans to get groceries until maybe Monday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lenore said:

I made some vegan "alfredo" sauce with almond milk, cashews, nutritional yeast, and garlic. It's a VERY good and creamy substitute and didn't leave me feeling heavy. That's been dinner the last two evenings.

 

Wow, that sounds delicious!!! Could you share your recipe, please?

 

7 hours ago, Lenore said:

I've also easily limited Facebook. I think I may have used it 15 minutes in the last 3 days.

 

source.gif 

 

7 hours ago, Lenore said:

My only downfall is to choose fruits and vegetables. I forgot to pick up fruit at the grocery store, so that didn't help, and I've been working from home this week with no plans to get groceries until maybe Monday.

 

That always happens to me too, when I'm trying to make a food switch ... we get in our routines at the store.  :)  It sounds like you are doing well at choosing healthier alternatives even when you don't have access to fruits and vegetables, though, so that's awesome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

 

Wow, that sounds delicious!!! Could you share your recipe, please?

 

 

Sure! There are two, one for vegan "parmesan cheese" which is hard to stop eating out of the bowl!

https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-vegan-parmesan-cheese/

 

There are other recipes at the end of that one on where to use it. And here is the pasta sauce recipe - it calls for roasting brussels sprouts, but I had spinach on hand and am not a huge brussels sprouts fan:

https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-garlic-alfredo-pasta/

 

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

 

source.gif 

 

 

 

LOL!! Keeping busy, focusing on offline friendships.

 

 

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

That always happens to me too, when I'm trying to make a food switch ... we get in our routines at the store.  :)  It sounds like you are doing well at choosing healthier alternatives even when you don't have access to fruits and vegetables, though, so that's awesome!!

 

Awww you're so sweet. I need to remember to not beat myself up too much when I don't do things 100% perfect. The mindset of a "challenge" seems rather black and white, and it's hard for me to be okay not being compliant every day! Maybe that's a sign that I set my goals too difficult?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lenore said:

Awww you're so sweet. I need to remember to not beat myself up too much when I don't do things 100% perfect. The mindset of a "challenge" seems rather black and white, and it's hard for me to be okay not being compliant every day! Maybe that's a sign that I set my goals too difficult?

 

I think it's more about your mindset than about your goals - remember that making changes and learning new things is always difficult, and we're bound to make mistakes, miss the mark, and have to back up, re-learn, and start over. It's more about finding a balance between challenging yourself and also being kind and understanding. If you were teaching another person how to do something new, you'd be understanding if they made mistakes as they learned the new skills and habits, I'm assuming; but you'd also show them where they went wrong and encourage them to try again. That's the mindset you should apply to yourself as you learn these new habits.  :)  Your goals are great; it just might take a little time to get there, and that's okay! That's why we're all on this journey together!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, I meant to post yesterday! Anyway, going well here. Begaindoing some very light upper body exercises - they're really my husband's physical therapy exercises that I'm doing along with him, but the extra pull in the muscles feels great!

 

I'm a T-Mobile customer, so I today (T-Moble Tuesdays - free stuff every Tuesday) I picked up Kate Hudson's new book about listening to your body, treating it with respect, building a holistic mindset about yourself. I think it's called Pretty Happy. I've read the first few pages of the intro and I'm pleasantly surprised! Bonus that it was free. :)

 

Anyway, fruits and veggies haven't made it onto the shopping list yet (down to one car is a drag) but my diet has been decent. I've fasted a little today since we were at a kids' birthday party on Sunday and I just wasn't all that hungry today. Kept up with water / tea, though! Vacuumed the house, only checked Facebook for a few minutes. So all is good! Thanks so much for the advice, @SkyGirl - it helps to give myself "permission" to not have to be perfect! Oh, and LOVE the Tolkien quote, but LoTR fan here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone who responded to my challenge thread! It's been a little up and down, but I loved the support encouragement!

 

I am off to choose a guild and figure out my second challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now