• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rubik'sCat

New scout entering the mix

Hello all! I read all of the classes posted elsewhere in the forum (including the tutorial section posted by Hazard) and I feel like I identify best with the scout class because I have always been a decent runner/bicyclist....more so before I let myself go physically that is. Anyways, onto my introduction:

Training history:

I have enjoyed jogging on the treadmill at home but have never been able to stick with it for very long because of boredom. I feel this is because I am not part of any bigger community and do not track my progress well enough.

I despise weight training. I know I need it and I want to start but I have never been able to keep myself on track to see even modest gains. I have trouble lifting the bar (without weight added) more than several times on the bench press station. That's how far I have let myself go. 25 (11.3 kg) lbs feels heavy to me. I hope upon joining this community to find the motivation necessary to get back into shape for my future career and to look good for swimwear season sometime around...2028? 2040?

Challenge Goals:

1. Stop drinking all types of soda for one month and then go from there! 5 days into my challenge and I am so far successful (from Jan. 1st).

2. Walk or jog on the treadmill / Go to the park and walk or jog once a week for a minimum of one mile and then go from there!

Ultimate Challenge Goal:

T.B.A.

My questions for the community:

1. Do I have to pay money for the RPG adventure program advertised online before coming here? Is it frowned upon if a user doesn't and is still active on the forum?

2. How do I subscribe to a thread to receive updates when a new post is made in it?

Rising heroes does cost money to join, it does sound fun and I think after I take care of some debt, I'm going to look into it, however there is a ton of free content and advice here. I have been welcomed on the forums and haven't joined rising heroes, so it's not frowned upon to just be in the forums.

To follow a thread, just click follow in the top right and select your preference, welcome to NF. 

• Thanks 1

Update:

Day 9 Week 2 

Haven't ran yet since I created this thread. Both of my calfs have been aching since just after Christmas for some reason. It comes and goes but I'm feeling better and may run again today or tomorrow. 

I work at a restaurant that allows its employees free soda/Water all shift long so the first part of my challenge is not easy but I'm successful so far. If I do want a drink I take flavored water, lemonade, or mix water with lemonade. Let's see if I can keep this up.

1 hour ago, Strickland5 said:

Hey Rubik's I'm going to relocate you're thread over to the current Scout challenge forum 

Okay, thank you for that. I'll post future challenges there from now on.

End of week 2 of my current challenge.

1. Spend my current challenge not drinking all types of soda.....I am so far successful which is AMAZING because I never spent more than 5 or 6 days in 2015, 2016, and 2017 without drinking some kind of soda.

2. Run a minimum of 1 mile for one day out of the week.....I will admit looking back on this I made a mistake. I set the bar too low for myself. I am consistently running 1-2 times a week between 2-4 miles. But consistency is still consistency as long as it's the good kind right?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

1. Spend my current challenge not drinking all types of soda.....I am so far successful which is AMAZING because I never spent more than 5 or 6 days in 2015, 2016, and 2017 without drinking some kind of soda.

Your willpower is amazing! Keep up the excellent work. Soda is just bad!!!

minions_soda.gif

On 1/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

2. Run a minimum of 1 mile for one day out of the week.....I will admit looking back on this I made a mistake. I set the bar too low for myself. I am consistently running 1-2 times a week between 2-4 miles. But consistency is still consistency as long as it's the good kind right?

Running is running. I wanted to do a running streak but somehow always end up missing a couple of days or so... But, I ran 1,165 miles last year, my best running year yet. So, let's just run!!!

homer-running.gif

@darna

:adoration: that's impressive! I don't think I've ever come that close to the many miles in a year. I like the Homer gif haha.

@Adventuresarah

Yea...well, as much as I don't like it, it's necessary because it's my career field. How do you motivate yourself?

@juliebarkley

I regret saying that I pooped out on week 3. I haven't ran for 2 weeks. The good news I have not drank soda for a whole month. Do I start over in this thread or create a new one?

No, no - just do your best to get back on track (or give up - but that's not the right spirit :P). Then you can start fresh in your next challenge in a couple of weeks! :)

New challenge officially begins Feb. 4th according to forum rules.

Challenge goals:

1. Stop eating any and all cookies and brownies at work, in other restaurants, or at home. This is a big issue for me.

2. Do not drink sweet tea. I already don't all the time, but now it is officially off the table.

3. Run or walk 0.5 miles  (0.80 km) once a week. 1 mile a week was apparently too much for some reason.

I plan to launch a new fitness diary/project before Summer begins on the forum :)

On 2/1/2018 at 12:48 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

New challenge officially begins Feb. 4th according to forum rules.

Challenge goals:

1. Stop eating any and all cookies and brownies at work, in other restaurants, or at home. This is a big issue for me.

Update: I ate two cookies at home not because I willfully chose to break my challenge goal but because I forgot I wasn't supposed to. I have to wait until March until I can begin again. I'm 0 for 2 and I feel like a failure at this. 

I just finished reading the Beginner's Guidebook thread and the one started by Hazard where he answers any question from a forum user. He said challenges can be begun at any time during the 4-week period. Therefore, this challenge is beginning again.

No cookies or brownies.

No sweet tea.

0.5 miles each week minimum.

0 for 2 shooting for 1 for 3.

I don't know if this applies to EVERY user here but it does apply to me. Each challenge goal I create for myself will last for the rest of the 2018 year. Once a challenge ends I cannot go back to eating sweets, in this instance cookies or sweet tea.

Scratch it...I'm 0 for 3. Staying away from cookies is too difficult. I just can't do it. 

I come home from work, I relax, then study or apply for jobs online. Sometimes I don't have time for running. I would rather run at lengths that are not predetermined like I've done my whole life, so I won't be including any running challenges next time around.

On a positive note: 64 days without a drop of soda. 301 to go.  

I'm typing this at 1:00 in the morning...the earliest post I've ever made here, it's not mentally healthy for me to stay up this late and it's becoming a habit.

Challenge goals for March 19th onward:

1. Build a base. I've been biting off more than I can chew as far as running goes...pathetic considering I'm already setting the bar low as it is. My S.M.A.R.T. goal (again!) is going to be: run/jog 0.500 miles a minimum of once each 7-day week for the duration of the challenge.

2. I successfully passed my "no sweet tea" test...it's time to build on my progress. No tea whatsoever, no green tea, no unsweet tea, no herbal tea, period!

3. Limit late-night smartphone usage to only 4 out of 7 days. Cut off time is 10:00 pm on days I work daylight hours and 11:00 pm I work night time hours.

I went to the theatre after work on the 18th this month and bought a Big Red ICEE....I broke down after 3 months and 17 days without soda. Oh well...back on the wagon.