• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PhoenixRising18

2018: The Year of Consistency

The beginning of my story is nothing new... I've been overweight since I was a kid. I was always told it's just baby weight and once you hit puberty it'll come right off. Puberty came and went and I only got heavier. It was always a confusing concept as I was a Varsity soccer player all through high school and college so it wasn't a lack of exercise that was the problem. I always knew my diet wasn't the best, but I just thought I could work off the pounds at the gym. 

Over the years I tried all the different diets including Paleo, but couldn't stick with them for long term. Jump forward to last year, I joined Peace Corps and am living abroad with no fast food options and walking a lot more than I ever have and I am losing weight for the first time. Luckily I am still in a "big city" so I have a lot more variety than others, but that also means I have more temptation to eat comfort foods like chocolate or drink soda to deal with the emotional stress. 

I found NF last year at the beginning of my service as I was trying to look up Paleo resources again and decided to give it a try. Though I have been losing weight here, it hasn't been through a lot of effort by me and I'm worried when I return home I won't have changed my mindset on healthy eating and end up gaining it all back. So that is why I am here doing these challenges to try and create long term change. Hoping this will be a good year for me.

About me:

26 years old, 220 lbs, 5'9" 

Ravenclaw (secondary: Hufflepuff)

Adrenaline junkie, Musical enthusiast, picky foodie/aspiring home chef

I suffer from a serious case of wanderlust

Favorite games: The Sims 2, Kingdom Hearts, Crash Bandicoot, Super Mario Brothers, Pokemon (I like the classics)

Main Quest: Improve my Portuguese fluency by reading at least one article or chapter in Portuguese daily for the length of the challenge. 

Challenge Quests:

1.  Do Yoga Warrior every other day

2.  Reduce my bread consumption by restricting intake to only during breakfast

3. Reduce my liquid calories to only once during the weekends when a friend visits. 

• Like 3

Hello and welcome to the challenge! I'm already intrigued by your Peace Corps experience and your Portuguese fluency goal! (I'm a language/culture nerd that never got to do the Peace Corps.) Bread is my downfall, too. In fact, I'm eating some very ready soft pretzels as I type. *whoops* What is Yoga Warrior?

Thanks for commenting! Oh how I miss pretzels.

Yoga Warrior 365 is this yoga program with like 14 different videos that I got from a friend. It isn't my preferred way to practice, but they don't exactly have yoga studios here lol. 

31 minutes ago, PhoenixRising18 said:

Yoga Warrior 365 is this yoga program with like 14 different videos that I got from a friend. It isn't my preferred way to practice, but they don't exactly have yoga studios here lol. 

Oh nice! Yoga classes are overrated! Just kidding. They are good, too. But I love doing yoga at home! I will have to check that out. 

Welcome @PhoenixRising18! I'm so glad you're here - I confess, I'm intrigued by your Peace Corps service too! There's a Peace Corps recruitment poster in the hallway of my university, and every so often I go look at it and wonder.  :)  

I like your goals - they are solid and concrete. I love your plan to establish good eating habits now so you can maintain them when you get back home. I know you can do it!!

tumblr_m5kbumtPpi1r777xho1_500.gif 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, Jick Hambleton said:

That sounds like a solid opening program. I wish I'd thought of the bread one, too. Maybe in my next challenge. I've had days lately when bread is a major component of all three meals.

Best of luck.

Right?! It's so easy to have toast or a sandwich when I'm too lazy to cook so hopefully this challenge will help.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Welcome @PhoenixRising18! I'm so glad you're here - I confess, I'm intrigued by your Peace Corps service too! There's a Peace Corps recruitment poster in the hallway of my university, and every so often I go look at it and wonder.  :)  

I like your goals - they are solid and concrete. I love your plan to establish good eating habits now so you can maintain them when you get back home. I know you can do it!!

tumblr_m5kbumtPpi1r777xho1_500.gif 

It's never too late to join! There is a 60 year old in my group!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhoenixRising18 said:

Right?! It's so easy to have toast or a sandwich when I'm too lazy to cook so hopefully this challenge will help.

I've just recently started to cook differently for this very reason. It seems to be helping so far... Basically just cooking in larger batches and then storing in single servings. So when I'm feeling lazy (or RAVENOUS, when I arrive home from the gym), I just just heat something up. Beats a sandwich, too! So far I've done bean/kale soup and chicken & salsa in the crockpot & then storing the chicken to throw into a stir-fry with whatever veggies are on hand. There was something I made, too, but I can't think of it off hand.

As I'm sure it happens with many first timers, this challenge has been less than successful. About a week in, I got hit with a pretty bad flu that left me bedridden and weak. Once I recovered, I sort of lost my motivation to get back on things. Now with about a week left, I'm trying to get myself back to the energetic point of the new year and get set for the next challenge :(