• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Petra (Katie)

Muscle Imbalances...*insert sad angry face here*

Alright, ya'll. I've got a bone to pick. (Not with any of you, but I have questions...)

I've been struggling with this for about a year; I'm an endurance athlete, my cardio can go forever. I've been strength training for two hours per week (an hour on Tuesday and an hour on Thursday--I also do some body weight on Mon-Wed-Fri), and I've notice some muscle build up, BUT:

I get weak muscles.

I just strained a muscle this morning, in fact.

I'm not quite sure what is causing this, it could be a genetic thing, it could be just as simple as a muscle imbalance (though they aren't simple to fix; it took my mom a year to recover from that). It's like the little "micro-tears" that build up muscle strength and endurance aren't having time to heal, and instead keep tearing. I've gotten some pretty nasty muscle injuries from this problem.

Long story short: Cardio endurance, good. Muscle strength and endurance? Bad.

Any suggestions on how to fix this while still bringing my fat percentage down, and without neglecting my cardio workouts? (Track season is upon us, my friends.)

Thanks guys!

P.S. Unrelated, but I've lost another 10lbs. since July! Whoop Whoop!

Tell us a little more about your workouts. Do you have a track coach? Did you ask them?

My first guess is more protein would be beneficial. My second guess is, if you’ve been/are a serious track athlete, you do have some imbalances or constricted movement. Yoga is an easy place to start with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Tell us a little more about your workouts. Do you have a track coach? Did you ask them?

My first guess is more protein would be beneficial. My second guess is, if you’ve been/are a serious track athlete, you do have some imbalances or constricted movement. Yoga is an easy place to start with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Track workouts usually spend the first hour running or drills, and the last 30-40 minutes strength training either with or without weights.

I'll try throwing in some yoga. I've wanted to try it for a while, but I've been putting it off. (Guess this gets rid of excuses, lol.)

• Like 1

Strength training after your cardio probably doesn't help since you're already fatigued from your cardio once you start lifting. I've mostly seen recommendations to do your cardio after strength training if you need to combine them, although that's for people whose primary focus is cardio - I'm not sure what non-strength athletes should do. Is there any way you could separate your strength and cardio sessions (either by several hours or by doing them on different days)? You might also look and see if Juggernaut Strength Training (http://www.jtsstrength.com/) has any recommendations for people with your training needs - they're a powerlifting group, but also have a lot of experience coaching other athletes and have written programs for people who also have athletic practice. They have a lot of free articles as well as videos on training, form, and physical therapy - I've found their resources quite helpful! They have many articles on sports training that might be helpful for you: http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/category/training/sports-training/

It also sounds like you might be overtraining - especially if you're training strength training five days a week. What's a typical week look like for you, exercise and volume wise (i.e., how many reps and sets)? Especially if you're on a calorie deficit, your body might struggle to recover from the volume. Do you also feel sore, run-down, and achy in general? Or are you just getting acute injuries?

Of course, form would always be good to check as well to make sure your movement patterns aren't causing your injuries!

Hope that helps! I transitioned from running to lifting and had some imbalances to sort out as well (namely weak/tight glutes that weren't firing properly) - it takes some time to troubleshoot, but it does get better!

• Like 1