Fat Lass Has A Go

Hi! I'm a little shy and yeah.. here's me working up the courage to introduce myself.

First off, I have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING.

That being said...

So I've never really committed myself to working out. To say I'm "out of shape" would be an understand to say the least. I'm 43 now and I'm 226. I was already chubby but then I got pregnant and BOOM... obese. I was 250+ but I'm vegetarian now and that alone had me losing some weight. Now I'm trying very hard to be a grown up and make sure I'll actually live to see my daughter grow up. I'd really like to be there for her as long as I can. I broke my ankle very badly a couple years ago so now FrankenAnkle won't let me run, jump, etc. (I literally detached my ankle internally. Cool, huh? Now I walk with a slight limp.. like a bad ass.)  :D 

Anywho, I'm VERY weak but I'm doing my best. I've managed to exercise every day since the 3rd. (Yay me!!) I've been doing stretching and cardio. I tried the "Beginner Body Weight Circuit Workout" today and could only manage half as many reps. Also I had to modify jumping jacks. So that's kind of a bummer... 

I know I might get flack for this but, I'm NOT on a diet. I will consider modifying my diet in the future but I'm the sort of person who does best when full focus on one thing at a time. Also my overall diet is generally not too bad aside from the occasional homemade cookies. I don't do dairy or meat.

To complicate things I'm super broke, so no gym, and also I have crippling anxiety disorder that makes it very hard for me to get out of the apartment. However I do walk my little girl to school, so that's something.

Non-fitness related. I LOVE Star Trek. (I know I know, they changed the Klingon makeup and I'm not a fan of that one thing but otherwise Discovery is awesome.) ;) I'm cool with Star Wars also, no animosity to be found here. I also love fantasy but I think science fiction is in my blood. Also my husband and I LOVE table top games. IE: CAH, Munchkin, etc. He loves to DM various RPG games but it's so hard to get a group together. Our family's latest obsession is Minecraft. I'm trying to learn redstone. Our daughter REALLY wants us to make a Minecraft youtube channel.  I wish I had the time/money/etc. to play WoW or other online games again. I miss it but it's just more time on my ass instead of doing the many many things I need to do as a wife and mother.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my boring intro here. I appreciate you took the time and, for that, I think you're awesome. :) 

18423773_1640855995942427_7942754773410227737_n.jpg

• Like 3

Start Weight:  226.5   |   Goal Weight:  180   |   Current Weight:  220

Shy Takes A Second

Walk To Mordor And Back Again 2018

Note to self.. check out Darebee!! Other cool stuff to check out, Zombies! Run!

Hey there, shy. I'm KayLou. Fellow vegetarian, board gamer, and all-round anxious person here!

I hope you don't mind if I start off by saying you sound like a lovely person, and you and your kidlet are both seriously adorable! I haven't read your challenge thread yet (it's next on the list), but I wanted to let you know that I'd be happy to chat any time. I love discussing vegetarian recipes, sci fi and games (though I'm not much of an online gamer), and I'd be happy to lend an ear if and when the brain weasels get going!

I'll be rooting for you!

• Like 1

Awww!! Thanks so much Kaylou!!

Would there happen to be a vegetarian thread anyplace with recipes and what not by chance? :D

I bothered to have a look around the forum and actually found the veggie section. Silly me.. 

Shy Takes A Second

I thought I would say hello as well... because I also suffer from anxiety. I'm not 'shy', rather I'm terrified that I'm going to die in lots of horrible different ways. I sold my car and now hardly ever drive due to the old anxiety. It really sucks, so I feel you.

I also think that us anxious folks to get given something that helps us though. We have to play life on hard, yes, but as long as you keep fighting, you get practice at dealing with really horrible situations that normal people just don't have the experience at dealing with. My friend likened it to the Hulk in The Avengers - the secret is I'm always anxious!

Oh yes, and I'm also a big fan of Star Trek (TNG is my favourite). The Klingon make up is weird, but oh my gosh isn't Discovery amazing??!!!

• Like 2

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

Challenge #1, #1.5, #2 , #3 , #4, #5 (current)

1 hour ago, _riotgrrrl_ said:

Hey @shy how's it all been going for you?

Pretty good! I've been doing a 20 minute stretch routine everyday and either cardio or walking. On average I'm walking about 2 miles a day. Today I've had some pain in my Frankenankle so I might have to forgo a couple days of walking and instead maybe.. attempt to go to the apartment gym? *shudder* I haven't skipped a single day of exercise and I'm totally off caffeine so I'm making my challenge goals. 

Thanks so much for askin'! :D 

In other news tomorrow is Monday. Damn.

998c3dac9a040d26e16d35d760b696ee.jpg

Shy Takes A Second

11 hours ago, shy said:

Pretty good! I've been doing a 20 minute stretch routine everyday and either cardio or walking. On average I'm walking about 2 miles a day. Today I've had some pain in my Frankenankle so I might have to forgo a couple days of walking and instead maybe.. attempt to go to the apartment gym? *shudder* I haven't skipped a single day of exercise and I'm totally off caffeine so I'm making my challenge goals. 

Thanks so much for askin'! :D 

In other news tomorrow is Monday. Damn.

998c3dac9a040d26e16d35d760b696ee.jpg

Monday, you say?

5a6f1029097e3_giphy(1).gif.5ed733986ac52b138abad9724692b9a4.gif

Glad to hear you're making your challenge, despite Frankenankle. I'm sure others have already suggested it, but in case they haven't... do you like swimming? Cardio and resistance all in one, if you can find an affordable swimming pool... Or a Frankenankle-friendly style of yoga?

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, _riotgrrrl_ said:

...Glad to hear you're making your challenge, despite Frankenankle. I'm sure others have already suggested it, but in case they haven't... do you like swimming? Cardio and resistance all in one, if you can find an affordable swimming pool... Or a Frankenankle-friendly style of yoga?

I do my daily stretch routine but I HATE yoga. I don't know why all the woo woo chakra talk annoys me so but I just can't do it, I've tried. I do a thorough stretch for 20 minutes every single day though. Also I don't swim for two reason I'm incredibly shy and I don't own a swimsuit, like painfully shy and awkward. I do love an exercise bike and I'm going to see if my little apartment gym has one, I've literally never been inside. Wish me luck! lol

• Like 1

Shy Takes A Second

59 minutes ago, shy said:

I do my daily stretch routine but I HATE yoga. I don't know why all the woo woo chakra talk annoys me so but I just can't do it, I've tried. I do a thorough stretch for 20 minutes every single day though. Also I don't swim for two reason I'm incredibly shy and I don't own a swimsuit, like painfully shy and awkward. I do love an exercise bike and I'm going to see if my little apartment gym has one, I've literally never been inside. Wish me luck! lol

Aw, good luck!

I'm not a fan of woo woo chakra talk either - I find Yoga With Adriene a good fit with my personality - but I understand if it's not for you. I won't push any more yoga - promise! And hope you find a decent indoor bike - I'm partial to a bit of spinning myself...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, _riotgrrrl_ said:

...I'm not a fan of woo woo chakra talk either - I find Yoga With Adriene a good fit with my personality - but I understand if it's not for you. I won't push any more yoga - promise! And hope you find a decent indoor bike - I'm partial to a bit of spinning myself...

Aw man, I'm sorry if I came off as defensive. Geez. Sorry. I just get someone suggesting yoga a few times a week. :wacko:

This is the stretch routine I always do, I'm fixin' to right now in fact... 

She has another called "Beginners Flexibility with Nico ♥ Full Body Stretch Warm Up for Dance, Gymnastics, Cheer" but I can't only do some of those positions right now. Others put far too much strain my ankles. I think my joints are generally pretty crap actually. lol

Anyway I really like her videos and I'd recommend them for sure!

• Like 1

Shy Takes A Second

Hey Shy,

So glad you commented over on mine cos when I looked at the username it rang a bell...then noticed I still had this tab open to come back to comment on (I tried to make today a very NF day, so getting all the weird NF things done as well as commenting as much as could)

On 1/10/2018 at 10:41 PM, shy said:

I broke my ankle very badly a couple years ago so now FrankenAnkle won't let me run, jump, etc. (I literally detached my ankle internally. Cool, huh? Now I walk with a slight limp.. like a bad ass.)  :D 

Oh my gosh that sounds insanely painful :distress:  I can't imagine having to deal with that every day, though stoked you're finding your own ways to fight through :congratulatory:  I was an RPM/Spin class addict a few years back, so I'm always quick to suggest it if running isn't an option (I pulled a muscle in calf when trying out running for a few months, so that led me to RPM).  I don't know how it would affect your ankle, but possibly just bike rides? 

I tried the "Beginner Body Weight Circuit Workout" today

This is still on my to-do list...I know it won't get any easier by not doing it, but in my head I'm so good at it (having not looked at it at all), so it's clearly better to quit while ahead right?  No?  Okay fine, I'll have a look at it tomorrow (grumble grumble)

He loves to DM various RPG games but it's so hard to get a group together.

I haven't been able to RPG since...well basically since I got preg.  Every now and then I wonder if it'd actually be possible to run an online game somehow?  If it were, I'm sure we could round up enough NFers to join the group?

On 1/11/2018 at 7:07 AM, KayLou said:

I hope you don't mind if I start off by saying you sound like a lovely person, and you and your kidlet are both seriously adorable!

I whole heartedly agree with KayLou's comment, so quoting to remind you of it :cupcake:

Level 1 Furbie (big, fuzzy, happy, says strange things)

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit (without device as yet :( ) | Duolingo

Start Weight (28/1/2018): 111 kg

Current Weight (28/1/2018): 111 kg

Goal Weight: 80 kg (31 kg to go)

Previous Challenges: 

Personal Blog: Coming Soon...hopefully...

40 minutes ago, shy said:

Aw man, I'm sorry if I came off as defensive. Geez. Sorry. I just get someone suggesting yoga a few times a week. :wacko:

This is the stretch routine I always do, I'm fixin' to right now in fact... 

She has another called "Beginners Flexibility with Nico ♥ Full Body Stretch Warm Up for Dance, Gymnastics, Cheer" but I can't only do some of those positions right now. Others put far too much strain my ankles. I think my joints are generally pretty crap actually. lol

Anyway I really like her videos and I'd recommend them for sure!

Thanks for the recommendation! Please don't apologise - you didn't come off as defensive at all. I was backing off because I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of unsolicited advice and I'm a firm believer in 'people like what they like'! I type with a twinkle in my eye...

5a6f411305ef8_giphy(2).gif.25395a03e66df6abc538656e2f510186.gif

20 hours ago, AceVixen said:

I thought I would say hello as well... because I also suffer from anxiety. I'm not 'shy', rather I'm terrified that I'm going to die in lots of horrible different ways. I sold my car and now hardly ever drive due to the old anxiety. It really sucks, so I feel you.

I also think that us anxious folks to get given something that helps us though. We have to play life on hard, yes, but as long as you keep fighting, you get practice at dealing with really horrible situations that normal people just don't have the experience at dealing with. My friend likened it to the Hulk in The Avengers - the secret is I'm always anxious!

Oh yes, and I'm also a big fan of Star Trek (TNG is my favourite). The Klingon make up is weird, but oh my gosh isn't Discovery amazing??!!!

How did I miss this reply?! lol Sorry! 

Ya know it's funny I'm actually more relaxed in front of a large audience than a lot of people because I would be nearly equally nervous talking to them individually. When you're already level 8/10 ALL the time it's not much of a jump. ;) 

I freakin' LOVE the new Star Trek Discovery!! I'm not a fan of the makeup change but I adore this show. I was especially excited to see we got Doug Jones too! He's awesome! I can't wait to see the newest episode with my family! :D :love_heart:

Shy Takes A Second