• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shy

Looking For Seitan Recipe!

I've got a bag of vital wheat gluten and some besan and I think seitan for dinner would be lovely!

Anyone have a recipe you've tried and loved?

Thanks in advance! :) 

It's been nearly 24 hours. I hope it's ok if I bump... 

Not even an All Hail Seitan meme? Nothin'? 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, shy said:

It's been nearly 24 hours. I hope it's ok if I bump... 

Not even an All Hail Seitan meme? Nothin'? 

Hi, Shy! Apparently this group isn't exactly teeming with people. But I'm here! I'm "just" WFPB (I've been warned on multiple vegan sites that I can't call myself vegan, because I'm "only" focusing on removing animal products from diet at this point), but I'm happy to share recipes with you as I learn them.

I've never made seitan, but I recently bought some vital wheat gluten to give it a try. Looking at Pinterest, I found some that might interest you as well:

http://www.theedgyveg.com/2014/01/20/vegan-buffalo-wings-recipe/

http://www.theedgyveg.com/2016/03/21/chick-fil-chicken-sandwich/

https://richbitchcooking-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/richbitchcooking.com/2017/03/28/4-vegan-sausage-recipes-seitan/amp/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Evicious said:

Hi, Shy! Apparently this group isn't exactly teeming with people. But I'm here! I'm "just" WFPB (I've been warned on multiple vegan sites that I can't call myself vegan, because I'm "only" focusing on removing animal products from diet at this point), but I'm happy to share recipes with you as I learn them.

I've never made seitan, but I recently bought some vital wheat gluten to give it a try. Looking at Pinterest, I found some that might interest you as well:

http://www.theedgyveg.com/2014/01/20/vegan-buffalo-wings-recipe/

http://www.theedgyveg.com/2016/03/21/chick-fil-chicken-sandwich/

https://richbitchcooking-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/richbitchcooking.com/2017/03/28/4-vegan-sausage-recipes-seitan/amp/

I was recently vegan for more than two years but we've added eggs back to our diet. I haven't told anyone on my facebook yet, I'm terrified of the potential and almost certain backlash. :(

I LOVE The Edgy Veg! Her hollandaise sauce was soooo good! Her vegan turkey wasn't as tender as other recipes I've tried. I think the one I did for Thanksgiving was from The Gentle Chef, I hear his cookbooks are really really good. I hadn't heard of rich bitch though, I'll have to check it out! Thanks so much!!! <3 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shy said:

I was recently vegan for more than two years but we've added eggs back to our diet. I haven't told anyone on my facebook yet, I'm terrified of the potential and almost certain backlash. :(

I LOVE The Edgy Veg! Her hollandaise sauce was soooo good! Her vegan turkey wasn't as tender as other recipes I've tried. I think the one I did for Thanksgiving was from The Gentle Chef, I hear his cookbooks are really really good. I hadn't heard of rich bitch though, I'll have to check it out! Thanks so much!!! <3 

You're welcome! ^_^ I plan on giving the Rich Bitch sausages a go this weekend. I loooooove hot dogs (gross, I know :P) and I have a whole jar of sauerkraut just waiting for me to open it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Evicious said:

You're welcome! ^_^ I plan on giving the Rich Bitch sausages a go this weekend. I loooooove hot dogs (gross, I know :P) and I have a whole jar of sauerkraut just waiting for me to open it.

The hubs and I LOVE sauerkraut, I'd say more than the actually hotdogs. I have yet to have vegan hotdogs I really liked AND that didn't give me horrendous heartburn. If the recipe works out please let me know!! :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shy said:

The hubs and I LOVE sauerkraut, I'd say more than the actually hotdogs. I have yet to have vegan hotdogs I really liked AND that didn't give me horrendous heartburn. If the recipe works out please let me know!! :D 

I will absolutely let you know!

Hi, bit late to the party but I want to recommend a book 'vegan bbq' by nadine horn and jorg mayer. The whole book is worth the price just for the vegan spare ribs! 

For the seitan:

200g wheat gluten

2 tbsp noosh

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp ground fennel

175ml pineapple juice

1/2 apple, grated

1/2 red onion, grated

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp olive oil

For the marinade:

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp mustard

Ok so preheat oven to 180. Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then mix together until a dough. Spread over 30x30cm baking tray lined with baking paper and press firmly down. Cut vertically down the middle and then make 6 cuts across it so you have 14 peices. Mix oil and mustard together and then bush over the top of the seitan and bake for 35 minutes. 

Leave to cool.

Then brush it all over again, but this time with barbeque sauce., then sear the marinaded side for 4 minutes over a grill, and then the other side with lid down for 10 mins.

Eat and rejoice in its awesomeness! Trust me, it is worth it. So so worth it. I had carnivores begging for seconds!

Best barbeque sauce ever:

1 onion

2 tbsp rapeseed oil

2 cloves garlic

450ml passata

120ml cider vinegar

2 tbsp worcester sauce

2 tbsp syrup (agave, sugar beet, whatever)

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp paprika, smoked is best

1 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp chilli flakes

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground star anise

Chop onion and sweat with oil for 5 mins (don't brown). Crush garlic, add to onion, cook another 2 mins. Add everything else, bring to boild and then gently reduce uncovered for 40mins on a low heat, stirring occasionally.

Omg you are in for SUCH a treat! :D

• Like 2

Sure, of course! Just don't ditch the ground fennel or aniseed even though I know they are annoying to get hold of, they really impact the flavour. You can order them off amazon though.

Good luck, share the results back here! Bet you don't have any leftovers lol

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, ~Ayla~ said:

Hi, bit late to the party but I want to recommend a book 'vegan bbq' by nadine horn and jorg mayer. The whole book is worth the price just for the vegan spare ribs! 

For the seitan:

200g wheat gluten

2 tbsp noosh

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp ground fennel

175ml pineapple juice

1/2 apple, grated

1/2 red onion, grated

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp olive oil

For the marinade:

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp mustard

Ok so preheat oven to 180. Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then mix together until a dough. Spread over 30x30cm baking tray lined with baking paper and press firmly down. Cut vertically down the middle and then make 6 cuts across it so you have 14 peices. Mix oil and mustard together and then bush over the top of the seitan and bake for 35 minutes. 

Leave to cool.

Then brush it all over again, but this time with barbeque sauce., then sear the marinaded side for 4 minutes over a grill, and then the other side with lid down for 10 mins.

Eat and rejoice in its awesomeness! Trust me, it is worth it. So so worth it. I had carnivores begging for seconds!

Best barbeque sauce ever:

1 onion

2 tbsp rapeseed oil

2 cloves garlic

450ml passata

120ml cider vinegar

2 tbsp worcester sauce

2 tbsp syrup (agave, sugar beet, whatever)

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp paprika, smoked is best

1 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp chilli flakes

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground star anise

Chop onion and sweat with oil for 5 mins (don't brown). Crush garlic, add to onion, cook another 2 mins. Add everything else, bring to boild and then gently reduce uncovered for 40mins on a low heat, stirring occasionally.

Omg you are in for SUCH a treat! :D

Dang! How did I miss your post? I'm sorry.. geez. This sounds awesome! Thanks so much!! :D 

• Like 1