• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jlailin

Jlailin dreams...

9 hours ago, Jlailin said:

...I kinda did the mind mapping thing backwards, I suppose.  Typically this all should come before the details, but oh well.  I think writing the details out first helps me better articulate the big picture.

This is how I did my mind map last year. I started with a list of specific things I wanted to accomplish, then grouped them, then grouped the groups, and so on until I arrived at an overarching reason (AKA "Big Why"). 

As a person who does not typically think linearly, my opinion is that whatever method works for you to get the results you want is the method that you should use. As long as it doesn't, y'know, hurt anyone. 

• Like 3

I've made a bunch of lists in my spreadsheet document, and I'm seeing a couple of consistent themes.  I've consolidated them here into my big goals for the year.  ...I kinda did the mind mapping thing backwards, I suppose.  Typically this all should come before the details, but oh well.  I think writing the details out first helps me better articulate the big picture.  Anyways, here we go:

Big Goals for 2018
  • Redo apartment.  Make it look like an actual adult (albeit a nerdy, kpop obsessed, cat loving adult) lives there rather than someone just out of college that has just kept collecting ALL THE STUFF.
  • See EXO in a North America tour concert!  (However, this is entirely dependent on if they actually have a North America tour this year.  They've had them for the past two years, so I'm hopeful it will happen again.  It's just not in the budget to travel to see them internationally this year... that's probably a 2019 goal.)
  • Perform in a dance team
  • Get to and maintain a weight under 130lbs (I'm flexible with this number if my body ends up being super awesome and composed of more heavy muscle, but I do feel like trying to target to get below 130lbs helps me do all things I need to in order to better my body composition)
  • Resolve finances with business partner

Other updates:
  • Fridge was cleaned more!  This was solely because I needed a place to put my friend's birthday cake, which was delicious.  I also made the cutest little swans carved from strawberries to garnish it.  
    • ...the middle shelf still needs to be cleaned, but the top and bottom shelves have now both been cleaned!  Yay!  Two thirds of the way there!
  • Back exercises are going well
  • Sleep schedule seems to be doing much better!  I think having my friend's birthday party this past Saturday helped a lot.  I ate divinely good sushi.  We went to Momotaro, which is said by some to be the best sushi in the city.  I had a piece of otoro there that was the best thing I've ever put in my mouth--like seriously.  Oh so good.  The fish literally melted, and there was a faint medley of sweet and tangy from some sort of ponzu sauce.  My face was so happy after eating it that everyone at my table immediately also ordered a piece.  xD  That was probably the most expensive meal I've ever eaten, but it was worth every penny.  

Sounds like some great goals for this year! Best of luck!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

This is how I did my mind map last year. I started with a list of specific things I wanted to accomplish, then grouped them, then grouped the groups, and so on until I arrived at an overarching reason (AKA "Big Why"). 

As a person who does not typically think linearly, my opinion is that whatever method works for you to get the results you want is the method that you should use. As long as it doesn't, y'know, hurt anyone. 

I think I basically did the same thing. Except it was more like, things I want to improve rather than specific things to accomplish. A happy medium between big picture and concrete details?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

11 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I think I basically did the same thing. Except it was more like, things I want to improve rather than specific things to accomplish. A happy medium between big picture and concrete details?

Haha, I wonder if anyone actually does it the "proper" way with the Big Why first.  (I'm sure there is, I just find it amusing that all three of us did it the other way. :P )

15 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Sounds like some great goals for this year! Best of luck!!

Thanks, Sif~ :D 

Other updates:

• I failed my IF last night... >_>  I was debating if I should eat something after my dance class as a tiny snack in lieu of my skipped dinner, so I wouldn't tear off people's heads in meetings the next morning.  Then somehow "tiny snack" turned into rosemary mushroom carbonara pasta...  It was delicious.  Obviously, I should not be allowed to cook late at night if I'm just trying to eat a tiny snack.  
    • In my defense, I would've eaten like two hours earlier, but my dance teacher's computer decided to die a dramatic death with stalled start up screens, irreparable disks, etc.  She's not really a tech savvy person, so I stayed to help her troubleshoot and figure out how to fix it by going to the apple store's genius bar.  Hoping that they can fix it for her and/or at least get her files saved elsewhere!   
  • Back exercises and fridge are the same.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Jlailin said:

Haha, I wonder if anyone actually does it the "proper" way with the Big Why first.

Tbh I never really understood how people do it that way. I guess some people must really have their shit together because I had no idea what my Big Why was, so how could I possibly start there?? But once I had it figured out I was able to go back down and sort things out and make a little more sense of them, so that's nice. 

2 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

Then somehow "tiny snack" turned into rosemary mushroom carbonara pasta...  It was delicious.  Obviously, I should not be allowed to cook late at night if I'm just trying to eat a tiny snack.

Yum. But seriously cooking when you're hungry is very dangerous. I usually go for prepackaged amounts of food if I want a little snack. (One string cheese, one apple, one granola bar, that sort of thing. Makes it more difficult to overeat.) But it's not like you exactly planned to be that hungry or to be having a late snack, so I'd say you get a pass. 

• Like 2

Maybe Monks do figure out their Big Why first? They look all put together... or maybe it's as rebels to rebel against rules?
Anyway count me it the reverse Big Why (Small Why?) team. I tried this challeng to find it through searching what I wish for, but nah! It doesn't work that way for me...

• Like 3

Thanks, Sif~  

Other updates:
  • I failed my IF last night... >_>  I was debating if I should eat something after my dance class as a tiny snack in lieu of my skipped dinner, so I wouldn't tear off people's heads in meetings the next morning.  Then somehow "tiny snack" turned into rosemary mushroom carbonara pasta...  It was delicious.  Obviously, I should not be allowed to cook late at night if I'm just trying to eat a tiny snack.  
    • In my defense, I would've eaten like two hours earlier, but my dance teacher's computer decided to die a dramatic death with stalled start up screens, irreparable disks, etc.  She's not really a tech savvy person, so I stayed to help her troubleshoot and figure out how to fix it by going to the apple store's genius bar.  Hoping that they can fix it for her and/or at least get her files saved elsewhere!   
  • Back exercises and fridge are the same.
Sounds like you had a very valid reason to not do IF. We don't want you to starve yourself ;)

In regards to big why's. I don't have one XD
Unless "I want to be healthy and do all the things" count?
I just try to find healthy habits I enjoy/can keep up!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Sounds like you had a very valid reason to not do IF. We don't want you to starve yourself ;)

I used to think I didn't either, then I realized I did. I just hadn't tried to put it into words until that moment. And yes, that counts.

• Like 4

On 1/30/2018 at 3:45 PM, Wobbegong said:

Yum. But seriously cooking when you're hungry is very dangerous. I usually go for prepackaged amounts of food if I want a little snack. (One string cheese, one apple, one granola bar, that sort of thing. Makes it more difficult to overeat.) But it's not like you exactly planned to be that hungry or to be having a late snack, so I'd say you get a pass. 

So true.  I need to find and stock more snack things like this.  I always convince myself to not buy prepackaged things because they tend to be more expensive, but I suppose they're worth it if it saves me from eating a whole meal instead of a small snack.  Hmm... So I guess I can buy that smoked string cheese I've been eyeing... :P

On 1/30/2018 at 4:43 PM, Diadhuit said:

Maybe Monks do figure out their Big Why first? They look all put together... or maybe it's as rebels to rebel against rules?
Anyway count me it the reverse Big Why (Small Why?) team. I tried this challeng to find it through searching what I wish for, but nah! It doesn't work that way for me...

Haha, I like being a rebellious rebel!  :P 

On 1/31/2018 at 2:55 AM, Siferiax said:

I just try to find healthy habits I enjoy/can keep up!

Sure, that counts!  :D

On 1/31/2018 at 1:01 PM, scalyfreak said:

I used to think I didn't either, then I realized I did. I just hadn't tried to put it into words until that moment. And yes, that counts.

I feel like it's like that a lot--you may be subconsciously doing things to work towards something, but it doesn't crystallize into a big ah-hah until you really think about it.

I'm going to do my challenge reflection now just because I highly doubt I'll do it over the weekend.

Challenge Reflection:

• Planning
    • This didn't play out exactly how I outlined it in the first post, but I like the spreadsheet I've come up with and my big goals for the year.  I think I took it as far as I could knowing what I know now.  Therefore, I will call this one a success.
  • Vacation Recovery Goals
    • IF is pretty much back on track.  I honestly don't really track the times anymore because it's pretty much second nature now.
    • I have unpacked!  I have cleaned!  ...although I do need to clean again since things have become messy again since that first cleaning. 
    • Fridge is 2/3 cleaned... So partially successful?
    • Back exercises weren't done every day, but they were done at least every other day.  My back seems to be doing fine, so I think this routine is also okay.
  • Like 3