• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rusk

Chicken, Sausage & Lentil Soup. Ranger Approved

This is one of my overall favourite meals. Super filling & nutritious.  I try to keep a stash of this soup in my freezer for when I'm feeling too lazy to do much  around dinner time.

I may or may not be eating a bowl of this right now.  For breakfast.  Don't judge.

Chicken, Sausage & Lentil Soup

Yields 6 L

Whole raw chicken                        2 kg

Bacon, medium dice                 150 g

Spanish onion, medium dice   600 ml

Celery, small dice                      300 ml

Carrot, small dice                     300 ml

Parsley, minced                        100 ml

Garlic, minced                             40 ml

Thyme, dried                               20 ml

Savoury, dried                             20 ml

Bay leaf                                          2 ea

Bratwurst, seared & sliced    500 g

Red lentils, rinsed                  300 ml

Green lentils, rinsed              300 ml

Chicken Stock                             3 L

Lemon juice                              30 ml

Salt & Pepper                                 TT

THE DAY BEFORE

• Roast the chicken & shred all the meat. Save, or make stock with the carcass.

THE DAY OF

• Render the bacon down until crispy.

• Add the mirepoix and sweat until the onion is translucent.

• Add the garlic and herbs, sweat a few more minutes.

• Add the previously cooked chicken, sausage & lentils.  Stir to ensure everything is evenly coated in fat.

• Add the stock, bring to a simmer.  

• Cook out until the red lentils have almost dissolved into the soup and the green lentils are tender.  Stir in the lemon juice, season to taste.

On 1/12/2018 at 1:30 PM, Azukmul gro-Dragnar said:

I may or may not be eating a bowl of this right now.  For breakfast.  Don't judge.

I too rebel against the current chrono-culinary orthodoxy. My breakfast is four left-over biscuits and about 3 ounces of deer salami.

This soup sounds amazing. Guess I know what I'm making for dinner tonight.

Swap out a couple of ingredients (lentils for rice and kielbasa for bratwurst) and this is really close to one of my go to family recipes so I can totally vouch for the flavor profile :)  I MAY have to try this with lentil rather than rice, can't do the bratwurst though. Probably couldn't get my hubby to eat it with lentils, but I'll just roast him another chicken or go ahead and get brats too and make him the brats :)

It's all interchangeable :)  I try to avoid rice in my own soups unless I'm adding it right before serving.  I find it gets too mushy too fast.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this is a good recipe for a person with Chrohn's? My youngest daughter has this and I am looking for nutritious healthy meals that are good for her gut.

8 hours ago, Mattisamus said:

Does anyone know if this is a good recipe for a person with Chrohn's? My youngest daughter has this and I am looking for nutritious healthy meals that are good for her gut.

Unfortunately the foods that may trigger a reaction in Chrohns are different for different people.  That's something you are going to have to find out via trial and error, or through work with a professional dietician who specializes in that disease.  Sorry :/