• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Crossfit Games: The Open 2018

Because of course we needed a shiny new thread for this year's Open! I know it's a bit early, but since registrations are open (see what I did there) it feels right to start this, hype people about registering and connect competitors.

Schedule

• 18.1: February 22 - 26
  • 18.2: March 1 - 5
  • 18.3: March 8 - 12
  • 18.4: March 15 - 19
  • 18.5: March 22 - 26

I'm in and here's my profile, who else is doing the Open this year?

• Like 2

I'm going to do what workouts I can. I don't have access to a box so I'll have to make due with the equipment I have at home (barbell, jump rope, pullup bar, old gym bag full of dirt...that's about it right now)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sowilo said:

I'm going to do what workouts I can. I don't have access to a box so I'll have to make due with the equipment I have at home (barbell, jump rope, pullup bar, old gym bag full of dirt...that's about it right now)

Love your attitude and spirit :encouragement: Both DR and myself are carrying injuries and may have to scale too so will be an interesting one for all 3 of us ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Endor said:

Love your attitude and spirit :encouragement: Both DR and myself are carrying injuries and may have to scale too so will be an interesting one for all 3 of us ;) 

True. I busted my knee last year just weeks before the Open, it was fun seeing everyone freak out about *gasp* dumbbell snatches at 17.1 when I was more worried about the box over burpees :D

• Like 1

I might do the workouts for fun at my gym. Last year was the first time since 2013 that I didn't do the Open, and seeing how ridiculous some of the workouts were, I'm glad I didn't. Basically I think that what Dave Castro programs for these Crossfit workouts are a bit ridiculous. If the workout he posts seems sane, then I'll do it.

7 hours ago, rmkwilson said:

I'm in for my first Open this year. I am a relatively new CrossFitter and will be scaling the workouts.

Welcome to the party! Hope you're enjoying it so far. :) 

I've managed to injure my bicep tendon so will probs be scaling a lot of stuff this year too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Endor said:

Welcome to the party! Hope you're enjoying it so far. :) 

Thank you. I had not been preparing since I did not think about participating until this week. So now I need to get my head in the game.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing me here @DarK_RaideR

"Hello, my name is Mr_Willes... And i CrossFit"

Started last year in April, but hurt my ankle a bit in May. It wasn't until July till i was able to return. I have been doing CF for 2 days a week since (next to some running and lifting at home).

This will be my first Open, and i'm looking forward to it. There is a lot of stuff i still don't master, but i really want to do as much Rx as possible. I have a tendency of usually scaling too light, now it's about time to put on my big-girl panties and hammer on. The Oly lifts were something that were too heavy for me Rx, but i have had a few Oly specialization classes and now i think i can do some workouts with snatches and jerks Rx. It's the stuff like Muscle ups, handstand walks and long runs of Double Unders that i will scale down because i don't have the technique to do them. That will be my CF goals for this year.

• Like 2

Thanks for pointing me here [mention=29779]DarK_RaideR[/mention]

"Hello, my name is Mr_Willes... And i CrossFit"

Started last year in April, but hurt my ankle a bit in May. It wasn't until July till i was able to return. I have been doing CF for 2 days a week since (next to some running and lifting at home).

This will be my first Open, and i'm looking forward to it. There is a lot of stuff i still don't master, but i really want to do as much Rx as possible. I have a tendency of usually scaling too light, now it's about time to put on my big-girl panties and hammer on. The Oly lifts were something that were too heavy for me Rx, but i have had a few Oly specialization classes and now i think i can do some workouts with snatches and jerks Rx. It's the stuff like Muscle ups, handstand walks and long runs of Double Unders that i will scale down because i don't have the technique to do them. That will be my CF goals for this year.
15 mins DU practice before every session. Try to get 10 chained and increase by 1 when you achieve it. 6 weeks later you'll have them proficiently. Get a good rope too makes all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Endor said:

15 mins DU practice before every session. Try to get 10 chained and increase by 1 when you achieve it. 6 weeks later you'll have them proficiently. Get a good rope too makes all the difference.

A good rope is on the list of things i somehow have to sneak past the finance department at home ;)

• Like 1

I'm in! I'm registered and in the Women's Master's division (44-49). My big worry will be pullups. And not passing out.

I don't work out at a box so I'll do the workouts at my gym and film it with my gopro or my phone. May coerce a friend to come with and coach me through them.

I'm going to do a '17 open workout once a week to ramp up. I did 17.1 two weeks ago and 17.2 last week. 17.2 was way harder.

4 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I'm in! I'm registered and in the Women's Master's division (44-49). My big worry will be pullups. And not passing out.

I don't work out at a box so I'll do the workouts at my gym and film it with my gopro or my phone. May coerce a friend to come with and coach me through them.

I'm going to do a '17 open workout once a week to ramp up. I did 17.1 two weeks ago and 17.2 last week. 17.2 was way harder.

I don't think they'll really care about the videos unless you are in a position to qualify for Regionals but you may as well video it, if nothing else you'll get some insight into your form. 

I think there's a strong possibility that 17.1 will be repeated this year so you could be onto a good strategy repeating that one. 

17.4 was killer, I wouldn't voluntarily repeat that even if you paid me. Took my back a week to recover. 

14 hours ago, Endor said:

I think there's a strong possibility that 17.1 will be repeated this year so you could be onto a good strategy repeating that one. 

17.4 was killer, I wouldn't voluntarily repeat that even if you paid me. Took my back a week to recover. 

I heard that 17.1 was 18.1 after I did it and felt very smug until the endorphins wore off. I havent' even looked at 17.4 yet - 17.3 is bad enough even scaled in my division.

19 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

53 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

I havent' even looked at 17.4 yet - 17.3 is bad enough even scaled in my division.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Endor said:

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

I havent' even looked at 17.4 yet - 17.3 is bad enough even scaled in my division.

38 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

giphy.gif

So much of that...

My advice... Just have a little peeksy at 17.4...

https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/open/2017/4

8 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

My advice... Just have a little peeksy at 17.4...

My advice...lock it in room 101 and never look back!

Am I the only one who was happy to do and re-do that workout?

Then again, I also enjoyed the thrusters and burpees in 14.5, so probably yes...

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Then again, I also enjoyed the thrusters and burpees in 14.5, so probably yes...

I just looked at 17.4 and I'm doing it tomorrow. It actually plays to my strengths, such that they are. Its the gymnastic stuff where I break down. (I'll do it scaled so I don't have to do the handstand pushups) I do 155 pound deadlifts for sets of 30 on the reg so the deadlifts don't scare me as much. the wallballs will be a world of hurt, though.

Did you scale it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On 2/9/2018 at 12:34 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I do 155 pound deadlifts for sets of 30 on the reg so the deadlifts don't scare me as much. 

Jeez, I just re-read this and caught the typo. I do *115* for 30, not 155. I'd have to have shoulders the size of a volkswagen.

I did 17.4 (masters, scaled) and it was a beast, just as everyone predicted. Wallballs were better than expected as I haven't been doing those but by the time I got to the pushups I felt like wild animals were tearing my arms off. I got one round in before the time cap.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Jeez, I just re-read this and caught the typo. I do *115* for 30, not 155. I'd have to have shoulders the size of a volkswagen.

I did 17.4 (masters, scaled) and it was a beast, just as everyone predicted. Wallballs were better than expected as I haven't been doing those but by the time I got to the pushups I felt like wild animals were tearing my arms off. I got one round in before the time cap.

Kudos to you. I "only" made it to 10 Pushups last year on scaled, first time it hit me back in 2016 I only got as far as 36 calories on the rower.

Waiting on your 17.5 feedback now :D