• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Crossfit Games: The Open 2018

100% agree with your summary.  The 50 lb DB was BY FAR the hardest part of 18.1 for me.  I kept a pace of about 1150 cal/hour on the rower, and had to break up the T2B into sets of 5-3 after round 4.  In regards to the DB work:  the cleans were easy but I got no-rep'd about half a dozen times on the shoulder to overhead - mostly on the left arm.  It's not that heavy in the beginning, but after about 35 reps it really catches up with you.

Some thoughts for people who haven't done it yet:  One place I think a lot of people can save time is in the transitions between exercises.  It's really easy to spend too much time chalking your hands for the bar work, for example.  And given that the row makes up 50% of the workout time, I wouldn't go any lower than 1000 cal / hour pace.

• Like 1

I repeated the workout.  Did MUCH better.  302 reps, Rx.  (= 9 rounds + 14)

Update:  official results are out.  I made the 86th percentile worldwide (in my age group).  I'm really happy with that.  =)

• Like 2

On 2/14/2018 at 3:44 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Kudos to you. I "only" made it to 10 Pushups last year on scaled, first time it hit me back in 2016 I only got as far as 36 calories on the rower.

Waiting on your 17.5 feedback now :D

I never got to 17.5 but I did 18.1 twice this weekend and wound up with a score of 218. I am 3,847th in my division currently :) At least i'm not last!

Edited to add: final results I'm 5,297. Looks like there's about 7 thousand in my division (women's 44-49). A lot of us have duplicate scores - there's at least 20 with 218, which was my final score.

• Like 3

I repeated the workout.  Did MUCH better.  302 reps, Rx.  (= 9 rounds + 14)

Update:  official results are out.  I made the 86th percentile worldwide (in my age group).  I'm really happy with that.  =)
Crushed it, flying the flag high for the masters!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK people, theories on 18.2? Talking to some people at my box last night they think you can partially predict the workout based on the athletes in the announcement (i.e.e Sam Briggs = long workout and rowing). 

So, having done some Googling on Noah Olsen and Patrick Vellner my prediction is muscle ups (which I cannot do, bring on the scaled workout!) and maybe a barbell in between...One guy at the gym predicted strict muscle ups :o though I'm not sure how they would come up with a standard for that which is consistently applied to everyone.

What do other people think?

2 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Also, in another Dave Castro ridiculous clue we have: 

Do they ever explain these things? I still don't get the monk statue from last week.

Told you it would be running, didn't know it would be over hot coals though :lol: 

This one I would guess is something to do with Iron, maybe 3 bars there suggesting a heavy barbell complex?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

OK people, theories on 18.2? Talking to some people at my box last night they think you can partially predict the workout based on the athletes in the announcement (i.e.e Sam Briggs = long workout and rowing). 

So, having done some Googling on Noah Olsen and Patrick Vellner my prediction is...

Both are pretty new to the "main event" picture so my prediction is 18.2 is the repeat workout to show how far they (amd people who've done the Open in previous years) have come.

37 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Both are pretty new to the "main event" picture so my prediction is 18.2 is the repeat workout to show how far they (amd people who've done the Open in previous years) have come.

Ooow crap, i saw someone in our box posting on our FB-group:

18.2 = 17.1 

But i don't think they are going to do another 20 minute workout. Though i would really like to try that one as i am a real fan of BJO.

I also heard a barbell complex.

The only thing i could come up with: The workout is gonna burn! Which i'm pretty confident, will be the case!

• Like 1

I honestly don't get why people are so obsessed with 17.1. I heard so many of them prophesizing that 18.1 would be it and still they won't stop.

As far as movements go, I'm seeing barbell and perhaps a pullup bar.

I haven't done 17.1 as i just started CF after the open last year. Though it seems like a workout i would enjoy, both being exercises i can do pretty well.

For the rest, i think guessing based on the athletes in the announcement comes closest.

All of it doesn't matter, cause in the end the workout will suck, and i will be glad when it's over!

foto van Willy Dijkstra.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cardinal_22 said:

Well, that was some BS.  =( 

18.2 score was 9:32 w/ 185 lb clean, Rx.  Ugh.

Seems pretty good to me...

• Like 2

So I was looking at the leaderboard and holy f*ck Kara Webb is not on it!!! I shit a brick, took me a few mins to work out she got married and is now Kara Saunders!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endor said:

Seems pretty good to me...

I'll second this. Think the lady who did the WOD after the announcement finished it somewhere past the 9th minute too. None of us is Vellner or Ohlsen to blaze through in a mere 4 minutes. As for the weight, remember you've already killed your legs, stamina and heart rate so you shouldn't be comparing the number to a normal, rested 1RM clean.

1 hour ago, Endor said:

So I was looking at the leaderboard and holy f*ck Kara Webb is not on it!!! I shit a brick, took me a few mins to work out she got married and is now Kara Saunders!! 

Wasn't she born as Kara Gordon and then became Kara Webb after getting married? What's with the Saunders part now?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Wasn't she born as Kara Gordon and then became Kara Webb after getting married? What's with the Saunders part now?

Oh yeah, you're right, I didn't even know that! Second marriage.

---

Kara Webb has made a lot of changes over the past 12 months. From leaving her gym, going through a break-up/divorce to taking 2nd at the CrossFit Games and opening her new gym, that would be enough for most people. But for Webb, that was not all.

Without any mention about it on social media, Webb got married during the off-season to her boyfriend, Matt Saunders. Webb’s CrossFit Games profile now reflects her new last name, Kara Saunders.

This is not the first time Kara has competed under a different name. In 2012, Kara competed by her maiden name, Gordon. She got married between the 2012 and 2013 season.

While the name on the back of the jersey will be different in 2018, don’t expect any change to Saunders’ performance. Webb has won the Australia region each of the last three years.

---

I think she's going to destroy this workout. 

• Like 1

Did 18.2 on Saturday morning (Women's division scaled) and got 87 reps. Burpees suck! And were definitely the thing that slowed me down. To be honest I'm disappointed but this score and planning a re-do for Monday. I would really, really like to get a score in 18.2a but I know that big of an improvement is unlikely. Ultimately if I get a better score I'll be happy.

• Like 2

Scaled 18.2 for 11:30 and a 94lb clean. I am pretty disappointed and will be redoing it, as I got like 6-8 no reps on the squats and the bar came up flying, I didn't even need to squat. Probably had more in the tank than I thought and certainly could have cleaned more weight.

For the record, our DBs are in kg and for scaled men we use the 17,5kg ones, meaning I did both 18.1 and 18.2 with a little extra weight.

• Like 2

Cross-posting from my challenge thread. I did my re-test tonight after work.

Going into the workout I had two things in my head - not pausing at the bottom of a burpee, stick to your pacing strategy (I even had the split times written out on a piece of paper beside me).

Well the first part of that did not work, I went out way too hot again and at about Round 7 completely blew up. As I said above my burpee technique definitely broke down as I fatigued but I was moving a lot more consistently. The round of 9 was tough but I got through it and started on my squats in the round of 10 when the time cap hit. 97 reps, 10 more than I managed on Saturday. You've got to be happy with that! I really did want to get it finished and get a 18.2a score, but getting 10 reps better in 2 days is pretty awesome. Now bring on 18.3 :D

@rmkwilson You're now winning 2-1...not that we're competing or anything :P

• Like 3

Another cross-post, I did indeed do better the second time around. Zero no reps, went faster on the first few rounds to shave off time and ended up finishing by 9:41. Opening clean was 134lb/60kg which again I picked up standing in a power/muscle clean. Went for 154lb/70kg which I failed the first time round as my mind got stuck and I ended up doing something between a power and a squat clean, got it right the second time around on pure adrenaline as a power clean. Added two 0,5kg in the remaining time for the final 156/71kg (power, of course) clean which is not only an improvement, but a PR as well.

• Like 3

@EmeraldEagle You are doing great. I would count us as 1-1. I know CF is counting 18.2 and 18.2a separately but to me they are two parts of 1 WOD. Not competing though. :)

@DarK_RaideR I knew going into this you were WAY better than I. I thought it was so strange your time was so close to mine. I am so glad you retested. It proved I was right. You are way better than me. :)

1 hour ago, rmkwilson said:

@DarK_RaideR I knew going into this you were WAY better than I. I thought it was so strange your time was so close to mine. I am so glad you retested. It proved I was right. You are way better than me. :)

Maybe a bit more experienced, but in no way better. This is my third Open after something like three and a half years of Crossfit when you're just a few months in. For such a long time, I should be way better than that, probably Rx-ing WODs by now. @Mr_Willes just got into the thing and keeps beating me. I'm pretty sure you'll be way more advanced than I currently am once you're three years into Crossfit. If nothing else, it's a sign I should be doing way better than I currently am.

Not beating my self up here, we may be doing the same WODs on the same leaderboards, but to me it's not a matter of who is "better". We each have our very different backgrounds in terms of age, prior athletic experience and life commitments which makes it impossible to truly compare on an equal basis. We are indeed our own rivals, struggling to beat our own performances.

• Like 2