• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Crossfit Games: The Open 2018

1 minute ago, DarK_RaideR said:

We are indeed our own rivals, struggling to beat our own performances.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor i agree gif

3 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

@Mr_Willes just got into the thing and keeps beating me.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bragging rights gif

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bragging rights gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cross post from my thread:

Arriving at the gym I was so nervous I was nauseous. I so badly wanted to get to the clean, but I know burpees are killers for me. I was a little worried about the squats too. Not that the combined 40# was heavy but the number of total reps breaking me down.  I got the partner/judge I wanted, by luck. She is a great motivator and is experienced enough to do some minor coaching. I trust her. She was a huge help. But my determination to not stop helped too. I knew any resting would kill my chance at the clean. I did much better than I thought with the squats. Rounds 9 and 10 were tough but very doable. I may have been able to do them RX. The burpees were just right. I kept moving, didn't rest on the floor, and didn't think about them. Again they were very doable. 18.2 was tiring for sure. We had been given time prior to starting to find a good opening weight. We were told to make it something you can always hit, but not too light. The rational being that if you only have time for 1 pull you don't want to miss. This was the case for me. I had 20 seconds to do my clean. I hit it easily, and would have been rushed to get plates on and get in another pull. I should have tried though. But I won't beat myself up over it. I think I had all of 7-8 seconds left after my clean. All in all I am happy with my performance. Oh the DOMS that occurred over the weekend. Man Oh Man. :) 

I spent Friday evening wondering how the hell I managed to get through all 10 rounds. I kept feeling like I must have skipped a round some where. But I remember doing them all, and my judge wouldn't have let me cheat. Just in shock that I did it. *Can't Believe I Did IT!* :disillusionment:

17 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not beating my self up here, we may be doing the same WODs on the same leaderboards, but to me it's not a matter of who is "better". We each have our very different backgrounds in terms of age, prior athletic experience and life commitments which makes it impossible to truly compare on an equal basis. We are indeed our own rivals, struggling to beat our own performances.

There is much truth to this. I have had to learn to not compare myself to others in the box. New comers arrive and are awesome at things and I get frustrated. But realize I don't know where they came from or what their experience is. I am there to make self better...that is all. But honestly it can be hard to not be competitive some, but I try to keep it limited. I do remind myself I am not young anymore. I cant compare myself to the 20-somethings that were athletes now trying CF. My joints have arthritis and need extra care. I have family life and can't spend everyday in the box, etc. The desire to be as good as or better than others in the gym can be a good motivator, but one has to be careful to not let it get carried away.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, rmkwilson said:

But honestly it can be hard to not be competitive some, but I try to keep it limited.

No problem in using it as motivation! I really want to beat our beast of the box. Not that i will ever be able to, cause he looks like a genetic freak, and is molded by the army into a warrior, and he doesn't what quitting looks like. Still he can squat shit :D i'm gonna beat him there sometime, if only once. And my Spanish friend, has had like a million oly specialization workouts, but he also as upperarms as big as sticks, i'm gonna beat him as soon as i get my technique a bit better on the clean and snatch, and next he is gonna beat my (fat) ass on doing burpees and running.

At this moment the best thing D_R can do is not post his score on the workouts, i give my all every workout knowing i want to beat him (again, and again, and again :P). You just use the thing that motivates you the best and use it to be the best you can be.

And most important, have fun doing it!

• Like 4

It's fun to watch the coach compete against each other. They are always trying to outdo, but they are pretty equally matched. Myself and some of the "older than me" ladies always discuss the work out to strategize it. I "compete" enough to try to just keep up with the kids...I can't but I try. (I am not really old...at least I don't think so, but I am not 20-something. The 10 years I have on them seems to make a difference though.)

• Like 2

I did 18.2 twice this weekend - once on Friday and then again yesterday - and got absolutely steamrollered each time. The squats were fine (the weights in the Master's divisions are almost laughably low) but the extended burpees beat me down. 

Friday I got just to the beginning of the 8th round when time ran out. Yesterday was smoother - I paced it better, went faster in the first rounds when the round was less long. My goal was to be through the first 4 rounds within 3 minutes, which I just barely made. But I ran out of gas in about the 7-rep range. Made it to the ninth round, got all the squats and two burpees in before the time cap. Then I just laid on the floor for a while....

I'm 5003rd out of 6500(ish) currently. A LOT of people have dropped out (or at least didnt' do 18.2) which is odd. It wasn't a technically difficult workout, just needed a lot of engine. 

I expect 18.3 to have some sort of pull-up/gymnastic component and that'll be my DNF round :-(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

I did 18.2 twice this weekend - once on Friday and then again yesterday - and got absolutely steamrollered each time. The squats were fine (the weights in the Master's divisions are almost laughably low) but the extended burpees beat me down. 

Friday I got just to the beginning of the 8th round when time ran out. Yesterday was smoother - I paced it better, went faster in the first rounds when the round was less long. My goal was to be through the first 4 rounds within 3 minutes, which I just barely made. But I ran out of gas in about the 7-rep range. Made it to the ninth round, got all the squats and two burpees in before the time cap. Then I just laid on the floor for a while....

I'm 5003rd out of 6500(ish) currently. A LOT of people have dropped out (or at least didnt' do 18.2) which is odd. It wasn't a technically difficult workout, just needed a lot of engine. 

I expect 18.3 to have some sort of pull-up/gymnastic component and that'll be my DNF round :-(

Were you doing it scaled or RX? That is a huge improvement from try #1 and #2. Nice work. Lots of people had to retry this one. I am hoping that the scaled versions of any gymnastics stuff is a scale I can do. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rmkwilson said:

Were you doing it scaled or RX? That is a huge improvement from try #1 and #2. Nice work. Lots of people had to retry this one. I am hoping that the scaled versions of any gymnastics stuff is a scale I can do. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Scaled. I probably could have done this one Rx'd weight-wise but I'd done 18.1 scaled so I just stayed there. 

ETA: it's the gymnastic stuff that takes me out too. should have practiced pullups more...

Oh we're already at predictions for 18.3

OK, my prediction is this week is the repeat workout...
You can bet your ass there will be wall balls and double unders at some point...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So I sort of got the 18.2 clue of it was gonna burn...and it did. This 2 daisy clue could be many things. I will admit I didn't understand the 18.1 clue. Are we thinking a 2 movement scheme maybe for 18.3? I also did more thinking into it. Turns out the scientific name for the daisy is Bellis perrenis. There is a hero WOD named BELL. This could be over thinking it though. I have seen some folks thinking about the meaning of a daisy...purity, gratitute, joy, happiness, etc. Someone suggested a woman named WOD "DAisy" but I don't see one of those. I have found several different Daisy WODs. This one seems to be what ever a local gym wants it to be. Still others thinks it is going to be a repeat workout, maybe 15.3 or 17.3.

"BELL"

• 3 Rounds for Time
  • 21 Deadlifts (185/135 lb)
  • 15 Pull-Ups
  • 9 Front Squats (185/135 lb)

27 minutes ago, rmkwilson said:

So I sort of got the 18.2 clue of it was gonna burn...and it did. This 2 daisy clue could be many things. I will admit I didn't understand the 18.1 clue. Are we thinking a 2 movement scheme maybe for 18.3? I also did more thinking into it. Turns out the scientific name for the daisy is Bellis perrenis. There is a hero WOD named BELL. This could be over thinking it though. I have seen some folks thinking about the meaning of a daisy...purity, gratitute, joy, happiness, etc. Someone suggested a woman named WOD "DAisy" but I don't see one of those. I have found several different Daisy WODs. This one seems to be what ever a local gym wants it to be. Still others thinks it is going to be a repeat workout, maybe 15.3 or 17.3.

"BELL"

• 3 Rounds for Time
  • 15 Pull-Ups

this is too horrifying to contemplate

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rmkwilson said:

"BELL"

• 3 Rounds for Time
  • 15 Pull-Ups

This looks plausible. It looks relatively easy, I was sitting here thinking why is this a hero WOD it doesn't look that hard.

Then I remembered what sets of heavy 9 front squat's are like, this will be a gruelling beast of a workout, it's 90 reps at 83kg.

• Like 1

Theory from my coach...
The flowers are perennials, this they come back. So it will a prior years workout. He thinks it will be 15.3. Seems logical. If it is 15.3 I’m curious if the scaling will be the same or he will change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, rmkwilson said:

The flowers are perennials, this they come back. So it will a prior years workout.

Good call, since those at the announcement are Masters athletes, this makes it possible to go several years back for a repeat WOD.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be a very grumpy person all weekend, until the end of the workout on sunday, if it's 15.3

No muscle ups for me, no double unders for me, so scaled.

I hate wallballs, and i'm not that fond of ropeskipping. And only a 14 min. AMRAP...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor fuck that gif

(let me just do "Bell"... twice...)

• Like 1

No wallballs so would be another sit out for me. If it's DU's i could probs do them but no MU or wall balls.

For once I'd be glad to be injured looks like a sucky workout. I hate wall balls.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The odd thing is, i like squatting, i have no problems airsquatting a heap of reps, or heavy squats, back squats / front squats. Even the occasional jumping squats. But somehow those WallBalls are the devil!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor devil laughing gif

I have a hard time getting the ball to touch the wall. LOL. It goes high enough but sometimes doesn't tap the wall. I find wallballs tiring. I have not mastered DUs or muscle ups so Scaling for sure. I am not sure he will use the same scaling scheme though. In 15.3 scaled was just leaving the muscle ups out all together. He may scale it differently.

18.3 = ridiculous volume.

Scaled looks ok but I think there's potential for shoulder injuries Rx. 

Well, this is the seperator. This is where the casual crossfitter kicks back and the pro Regionals/Games athlete take the top spots to advance. I'll agree with Endor, scaled looks doable but Rx could be a killer. The combination of "for time" pressure, a pretty low time cap and high HR due to double unders makes it all to easy to drop form on some muscle up and injure an already taxed shoulder.