• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

A little about me and my character: I do not have a name for my character yet, but she is definitely a Druid. No question. She's been called to spirituality all her life, so that calling guides her every decision. Although timid and tentative at first, once she is comfortable, the real miracle is getting her to shut up again. She's vivacious, sparkling, and a joy. Oh wait... that may just be me.

Starting off simple: 

Main Quest: Rocking my birthday in style! I'm going to hit a major weight loss goal by January 22nd and keep that momentum going as we wrap up the newbie challenge. I want to be ready with a GREAT challenge starting in the bigkid forums early February.

Goal 1: Drink no calories and start bulking up the protein at breakfast. Upon looking at the nutrition guide, I'm solid in the middle of level 3 on the nutrition scale. I want to start moving into level 4 by the end of this challenge. To do this, I will: 

... swap out grains completely at breakfast for a high protein breakfast for two weeks straight. Instead of a bagel, cereal, muffin, or donut…I eat a breakfast that is high protein: bacon and eggs, or a homemade omelet. Or scrambled eggs and fresh fruit. Or a whey protein smoothie.

Goal 2: Make an exercise plan each week and execute that plan. For someone who hasn't exercised before, I'm learning this through Nerd Fitness. For example, so far this week, I planned: M - Walk through the Museum all day, T - BW circuits, W - Go for a walk at lunch, Th - Break day, F - BW circuits, S - Yoga, S - Hike through canyon. It's Wednesday and I have executed each day so far this week.

• Like 4

I plan to update my progress in the morning. If one does an action at the same time each day, it's more likely to become a habit.

This morning, I drank an almond milk latte. That ends the streak. So I start today with another streak of drink no calories. My breakfast is an eggwhite omlet with spinach and mushrooms and orange slices. So I'm on track with the protein breakfast.

My exercise plan yesterday was to go for a walk at lunch. Accomplished. Today is my one rest day this week because of my hectic schedule. Tomorrow will be another attempt at the beginning bodyweight circuits. I made it through the first set entirely and the second set with reduction of reps on Tuesday. Tomorrow's goal is to do better than Tuesday - maybe finish two sets completely. 

Also, I didn't put this in the quest, but it was New Year's resolution to meditate each day - adding an additional minute of meditation each week. This week is a seven minute meditation. I usually do it first thing in the morning before I even swing my feet over the side, but today I had a 6am call with Israel for work, so I will accomplish this task now.

I may be taking baby steps, but it took me 32 years to treat my body this badly, so it's going to take a few weeks and months to treat my body right.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are doing well and that breakfast sounds soooo good. I have started meditating and really like it, only doing 5 minutes a day, usually before I go to bed. Baby steps or big steps, still get you to your goal. Good job on the exercise and making adjustments as needed, that is a big part, I used to stress if I missed a workout day, now I understand life is hectic and I'll miss some days and that is alright. Keep up the great work.

• Like 2

Thanks @Enforcer25 for interacting with me in these forums. Nerd Fitness made it sound like there's a ton of people on these forums... Maybe my topic is just boring :-D

In the name of a max protein breakfast, I just ate two hard boiled eggs, a serving of turkey jerky, a banana and orange slices. Plus black coffee. Black coffee didn't take as long as I thought it would to meet my drink no calories goal. 

The exercise plan is underway. My quads are still sore from Tuesday, but it's my scheduled day to try the circuits again, so I'm wearing my workout clothes. I plan to take a break at work this afternoon OR as soon as I get home, before I sit down, hit the streets for the 10 minute walk... If I don't get settled into my Friday night until I complete my workout, I'm more likely to meet it.

I did my 7 min meditation first thing as I woke up. Hadn't even swung my legs over the side of the bed yet. As I add more minutes, I may need to use the bathroom first. Ha! I didn't think about that. I try to think about those things so I'm building sustainable habits. 

I'm a little bummed about last night. I didn't have a chance to have dinner due to my school schedule mashed up with a haircut, so when I got home at 10pm I ate things I shouldn't have. I had a serving of popchips, a slice of Margherita pizza, and a fun size candy bar. Then I went to bed almost immediately. Now, that's not a CRAZY binge considering what I used to eat when I "fell off the wagon." But I'm still disappointed in myself.

• Haha 1

You don't have a boring post, just takes time to get people to see your posts b and respond. Glad you are sticking to it even after the little food misstep, it's not even a misstep, the important thing iso to keep pushing ahead. I'm like you in that if I don't get the workout in before I get settled, it's hard to get one in. I'm hoping to squeeze in a workout today, schedule will dictate that. Looking forward to your progress.

Wow, what a Friday. I am so proud of myself for sticking with my circuit attempts. It's hard, and I don't want to push myself, and I keep saying "why am I doing this to myself?" and "I was just fine as a person who couldn't squat with no added weight comfortably." But I did it! I made it through two whole circuits this time. No stopping and upping the ante on my lunges, 20 seconds for plank, and my push-ups to inclined push-ups instead of wall push-ups. I like the challenge, and I like that I'm seeing improvement. I have also made an exercise plan for next week, so I'm ready to go.

When it comes to drink no calories, I'm still rocking the black coffee, water, and sparkling water. Man, I'm developing quite a taste for sparkling water. Tomorrow (Sunday) will be the real test because I always get a fancy coffee for my Sunday morning class. I'm going to try the black coffee among the group of peeps. For my protein breakfast this morning, I ate two hard boiled eggs, sliced apple/grapes, peanut butter, and a slice of cheese. I don't know if this is the type of protein the NF community had in mind, so let me know.

I'm about to do my meditation now. None of this day has gone according to my plan, but I'm working in goals despite being at different times than my routine. I know I have taken on a lot all at once, but when you ask me to make 2-3 goals, I make 2-3 goals. 

Still pluggin' away at those goals. Little by little, day by day, and each good choice adds up!!!

On 1/19/2018 at 11:54 AM, Enforcer25 said:

You don't have a boring post, just takes time to get people to see your posts b and respond. Glad you are sticking to it even after the little food misstep, it's not even a misstep, the important thing iso to keep pushing ahead. I'm like you in that if I don't get the workout in before I get settled, it's hard to get one in. I'm hoping to squeeze in a workout today, schedule will dictate that. Looking forward to your progress.

--- Making progress! Also learning how to use the interface of this community...

• Like 1

Drink no calories: Nitro coffee for breakfast, water so far today

Make an exercise plan: Plan is made for next week, and for the last day of this week I was supposed to take hike today

Execute that plan: The hike isn't going to happen BUT I can still get another session of yoga in this evening even after it's dark

Meditation: Did my seven minutes before I got out of bed this morning, and tomorrow I start 8 minutes

Brief because I'm on my way out the door. I'm feeling SUPER GOOD about this week. I'm on the right track, but it's early. I just haven't met my first roadblock yet. I am setting myself up for success, and I'm proud of my first week. Let's keep it up for week two and set myself up for success to meet February's Druid forum challenge. I won't be a newbie for much longer!

• Like 1

Today is my birthday. January 22nd. I'm turning 33, and I want my 34th year to be my healthiest yet. This means tonight we know if I pass/fail the main quest to rock my birthday and hit that weight loss milestone. I'll report tomorrow how the weigh-in goes.

Drink no calories: Black coffee again for breakfast, and I'm saving my alcohol consumption for this weekend. I have plans for Saturday night to celebrate my birthday.

Make an exercise plan: So I planned more BW circuits today, but I did not wake up early for them. Instead, I dressed in my workout clothes for work, so I can do them at lunch. I will rock my birthday today. I will complete my circuits. 

Execute that plan: Yesterday, I didn't do the hike I planned, I didn't do the yoga I planned when the hike wasn't going to happen. But I did plan meals for the week, bought healthy food, and packed and pre-tracked my meals for the day. I know I am making a lot of changes right now, and it's my birthday, and I read a thought-provoking quote the other day:

"Sometimes when we think we need more self discipline, we actually need more self love."

Meditation: Did my eight minutes before I ate my breakfast in bed this morning, and bringing my breakfast back to bed really helped with the mindfulness. Interesting.

Eating protein for breakfast is happening too. I'm looking forward to graduating to the Nerd Fitness Nutrition level Four as I start the next challenge in February. As I said, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to switch to calorie free drinks. It was kinda easy. Today, I'm going to focus on keeping the momentum and rocking my birthday.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, @Enforcer25 and @Lateral Planet . My 34th year is going to be awesome!

I did struggle with drink no calories on my birthday because I really wanted to know what Coke Life tasted like. It's SUPER SWEET. I have no taste for it anymore. I'm saying that's a birthday treat and not counting it against myself.

I realized that my exercise plan for the week is a little too easy. I think I'm ready to do my circuits every 48 hours instead of every 72. I think I'm going to make that change to do the circuits again on Wednesday and Friday because ... I rocked my execute the plan yesterday ... on my birthday. I left at lunch to find a spot along a local trail with a drinking fountain and a bench. I walked with the 3 lb weights and then turned them into 6 lb weights by doing the dumbbell rows with both in my hand. It's totally time to up that weight. I could do 10 lbs next time. I think I just didn't want to overdue it and scare myself off and not go back to it. But I'm seeing the results add up quickly - each time I do these circuits, I can get further and further and my form gets better and better without that jello feeling. I feel my strength increasing. It's incredible how much of a difference I'm seeing. I expected I would need to be more patient than this. But really, I just have to keep going. I'm getting addicted to the success.

Protein Breakfast: I think I need a little help with this. I went with the whole wheat waffle, peanut butter, and strawberries choice this morning. I know I'm supposed to be cutting back on the carbs in the morning, but whole wheat is a good thing? Question mark? I just don't see myself getting up early enough to make eggs and bacon in the morning. I just don't see it. I think I need a little help with this one. My diet was already solid-ish because I had been making better food choices to lose 25 pounds since July. I like that Nerd Fitness is fine-tuning my eating habits, but I just want to know how much I should align myself with certain rules of their nutrition plan.

Lastly, another 8 min meditation this morning. This time on the stairs on my way out the door. Maybe the new habit needs to be my morning routine in general. I cannot keep adding minutes to a morning meditation without eventually needing to wake up earlier. I also just wrote about making a more solid breakfast in the morning. I bet these things are all related.

• Like 1

Great idea to not overdo it on the exercise and then not want to keep doing it, you are making great progress so keep that up. On the food front, I find when dieting you want to do what works for you and what you will be able to sustain, if there is something in the plan you don't like or won't work, don't feel you need to follow it. I think if what you are doing is working for you, keep doing it. Maybe you can split the meditation up if you feel you need to do more minutes. I think you are doing great so keep it up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enforcer25 said:

Great idea to not overdo it on the exercise and then not want to keep doing it, you are making great progress so keep that up. On the food front, I find when dieting you want to do what works for you and what you will be able to sustain, if there is something in the plan you don't like or won't work, don't feel you need to follow it. I think if what you are doing is working for you, keep doing it. Maybe you can split the meditation up if you feel you need to do more minutes. I think you are doing great so keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback. The articles at Nerd Fitness are an amazing help. Primarily, my take-away has been around the underwear gnomes who never get started. I can analyze each breakfast or I can do my best to eat healthier! Thank you so much!

• Like 1

Drink no calories: I've got this one down. I'll let you know if I slip up.

Make exercise plan: Got it

Execute the plan: Circuits again today. I'm in my workout clothes. On it for lunch.

Protein breakfast: Egg salad this morning

Meditate: 8 minutes - done first thing. I'm having a hard time focusing. Changing habits is hard.

Man oh man. Changing these habits has created a bit of a problem in other aspects of my life. I'm so hyper-focused on this level up game and starting circuits that I'm not taking care of my job, my school, my home. I need to work on finding balance. Help and how!?!?!?!?

On 1/19/2018 at 11:17 AM, campbellmc22 said:

Now, that's not a CRAZY binge considering what I used to eat when I "fell off the wagon." But I'm still disappointed in myself.

So hi there! I just now am seeing your post and we sound like we have a lot in common! Glad to see you here on this challenge with us. :) I wanted to tell you that I've been reading a book called Finish by Jon Acuff. I'm not too far along yet, but chapter 1 talks about how "the day after perfect" is the most important. How we set up goals thinking we will do them 100% perfectly and the first time we miss the mark, we get disappointed and throw the whole goal out. But the truth is, we will never meet that goal perfectly anyway. That's a myth! So getting back in the swing of things the next day after you falter is where the real success is. So congratulations! You "fell off the wagon" but you didn't quit. YAAAAAY!!!!! Well done!

I am impressed with your ability to meditate in the morning. I would just go right back to sleep if I tried that! The call of nature is going to become a problem eventually, though. HAHA! Have you ever tried walking meditation? I love to walk prayer labyrinths. There is something about the physical rhythm of walking that inspires quiet in body, mind and mouth. (I need the last one most!)

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to hearing more...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

So hi there! I just now am seeing your post and we sound like we have a lot in common! Glad to see you here on this challenge with us. :) I wanted to tell you that I've been reading a book called Finish by Jon Acuff. I'm not too far along yet, but chapter 1 talks about how "the day after perfect" is the most important. How we set up goals thinking we will do them 100% perfectly and the first time we miss the mark, we get disappointed and throw the whole goal out. But the truth is, we will never meet that goal perfectly anyway. That's a myth! So getting back in the swing of things the next day after you falter is where the real success is. So congratulations! You "fell off the wagon" but you didn't quit. YAAAAAY!!!!! Well done!

I am impressed with your ability to meditate in the morning. I would just go right back to sleep if I tried that! The call of nature is going to become a problem eventually, though. HAHA! Have you ever tried walking meditation? I love to walk prayer labyrinths. There is something about the physical rhythm of walking that inspires quiet in body, mind and mouth. (I need the last one most!)

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to hearing more...

Hi @The Real Syl Mil, Pleasure to meet you in the forums. I will check out that book. I'm not really practiced at goal setting, so these resources are appreciated. And as for not quitting, I'm still here. I'm giving Epic Quest points to myself if I complete a whole week of updating. I think I'm there as of today. Looking forward to learning from you.

Drink no calories: Great news. I'm working my company to provide sparkling water instead of Coca-Cola in the break room! Building my Avengers around here...

Make exercise plan: I'm not sure what the day will bring today. Thursdays are rough for me. Maybe I should schedule Thursdays as a rest day. I don't know.

Execute the plan: Holy circuit board, Batman! I completed all three sets of the beginner bodyweight circuit yesterday, guys!!!! I did it, and I'm so happy. I'm so proud of myself, and now I get to check off another Epic Quest xp. I didn't expect to get there so soon. The amount of progress I have made in such a short time is SOOOOOOOO amazing. Thank you, Nerd Fitness for the inspiration to make these changes. 

Protein breakfast: Overnight oats again. I'm so ready to move forward with the next nutrition level. I really think I'm there... Level four here I come.

Meditate: 8 minutes - done first thing again. @The Real Syl Mil reminded me of how much I love walking meditations. I will go on a walking mediation as a reward for finishing my homework due today.

I am so very proud of my progress. I'm seeing a difference in my mental outlook more than anything. I'm excited for the next challenge. I'm excited for the next workout. I'm craving those endorphins. See you tomorrow! 

3 hours ago, campbellmc22 said:

I'm giving Epic Quest points to myself if I complete a whole week of updating. 

Ha! Brilliant! I am the type who adds things to my to-do list that I've already completed just so I can cross them off. I have put some epic quest goals in like "go to the gym for 20 mins" "go to the gym for 30 mins". I set them super low and then see how they are adding up. NF is awesome!! Looking forward to learning from you, too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, campbellmc22 said:

Execute the plan: Holy circuit board, Batman! I completed all three sets of the beginner bodyweight circuit yesterday, guys!!!! I did it, and I'm so happy. I'm so proud of myself, and now I get to check off another Epic Quest xp. I didn't expect to get there so soon. The amount of progress I have made in such a short time is SOOOOOOOO amazing. Thank you, Nerd Fitness for the inspiration to make these changes. 

That's awesome work, good on you!! :):)