• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

manderoo

How to pick a good treadmill?

TL;DR I'm looking for a good treadmill for running at home during winter, and don't know what reviews to trust when so many reviews seem sketchy. Suggestions needed for trusted review sites or recommended equipment!

If you want to keep reading, I've looked at treadmill reviews.net, but I can't tell if their reviews are paid for, and I'm considering either the Nordictrac Commercial 1750 or the Sole F80, but a lot of people on Amazon and Dicks Sporting goods reviews complain about broken parts and bad customer service from both companies.  Is this a major issue or just the expected few failures from any mass produced products?  Also the Nordictrac seems a little better, but I have no way to try it out ahead of time, and I'm hesitant to spend that much on something that huge that will probably cost a small fortune to ship back if I don't like it.

Thanks for any help!

Step 1: do lots of research. Compile said research into a thick binder of parchment stretched from the hides of ancient cattle.

Step 2: Smear the binder with the guts and viscera of a flock of northbound raven. (Don't mess around with southbound raven if you like having your knees attached to your body.)

Step 3: Set the binder on fire. You will be amazed as it fails to burn. This is normal. You may hear voices. This is also normal.

Step 4: Toss the binder into the fires of Mount Doom. How you get there is up to you. Lyft probably is your best bet.

Step 5: Put on a sweatshirt and run in the cold like a man. Or a woman. (Your forum name and lack of profile pic makes it impossible to guess, and I don't want to offend.)

Seriously, if you are accustomed to running outdoors, going to a treadmill, even for a few months in the winter, will leave you squirrelly as hell. Some good cold-weather running gear will set you back WAY less than a treadmill that isn't a total piece of junk. And I say that as the owner of only moderately decent cold-weather running gear and a total piece-of-junk treadmill.

• Like 1

Well I have to agree with Pavowski (after changing my underwear because, damn dude, that was hilarious). There is a reason we call them dreadmills. I ran in 0 degrees a week ago and enjoyed the heck out of it.  1 marathon training season in the summer and you'll be a snow lover. I'd give it a serious shot before I invested big money

Of course, you aren't me(and probably not Pavowski either). Maybe you like treadmills.  Maybe you want to run on a treadmill so you can binge Firefly reruns (and well you should) while you run. Maybe you detest the cold and need this to remove obstacles from your fitness journey. There are many reasons you may want to buy one. We were just sharing our views.

That being said, Cybex treadmills are the shit!! This is the product of choice of Planet Fitness, and while they are not at the pinnacle of gym's for strength training, they are most probably the king of cardio.  They aren't cheap at 2500 bucks a pop, but they will take a sumo wrestler running on them. I have used them many times back in my dark times of running(before I embraced outside).

Get one that's used.  Waaaay cheaper.  Try Craigslist or your favorite local resource for junk.  Just make sure it works before you fork over the cash.  If you only spend $50 on it, you won't have much to worry about when it breaks.  I just passed by a treadmill that was on the curb next to the trash.  literally free.  I was too lazy to drag it home and plug it in to see if it worked, but my point is, the market is glutted, so why pay retail?