Weekly goals

Psicodom

I’ve been thinking about creating a spreadsheet with a weekly target weight, based on 1 pound per week of loss, for the next 20weeks. The goal is to keep me motivated over the next few months. Anyone have a similar experience ? Thoughts? 
I have an app called Libra, and you can do that setting a goal.
I didn't find that useful though because monthy weight changes screw up those calculations for me. I normally diet with no consequences and then lose 5kg in few days so trending helps me more... do you usually lose weight alltoghether?
  • Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I measure 'officially' per month for my target, some weeks I stay stable, then I loose 1 kg per week. It's quite unpredictable so measuring per week would be stressful. I measure to keep track more frequent and also have a 'lowest weight yet' number. But I also only use it as a proxy for my healthy lifestyle. My real motivation is in other things I do want to do: hike in the Himalayas, make longer dives, cycle up a few famous alps. The weight loss comes with going for these goals, I think I would have failed a dozen times in the last five months otherwise.

This is the tracking sheet I have been using from September last year:

Trek: 20 Oct to 15 Nov 2018

Total goal: 26 kg
Lost: 7.5 kg
To go: 18.5 kg

Month
Goal
Actual
Difference

Sep ‘17     

Oct ‘17
   110.8 (-2.2)   

Nov ‘17
111.6 (+0.8)
+1.6

Dec ‘17
110.8 (-0.8)
+3.8

Jan ‘18
107.8 (-3.0)
+2.8

Feb ‘18
105.5 (-2.3)
+2.5
Measure 20-01

Measure 10-02
Mar ‘18

Apr ‘18

May ‘18

Jun ‘18

Jul ‘18

Aug ‘18

Sep ‘18

Oct ‘18

Lowest

105 (-8.0)
30,77%

Overall Progress
  • Like 2

Level 4 Adventurer
Challenges: 7654321

@diadhuit, it deffinetly varies but since I gained a lot of weight the last semester, I would expect a more constant drop at least in the beggining
True, but you can never tell unfortunately, every body is different. If your gender at birth is female and you are still in fertile age in particular! Gosh, if it has been a rollercoaster!
I track weight weekly, but rely on statistics, not single data, and in the last 7y it goes up 2kg every month between fertility and period, then it drops between 2 and 8(!!!)kg during the period, usually the more if I missed one before (the 8kg is an outlier after years of PCOS and no bleeding)
Then, only you know your body and if you think the drop will be regular it probably is true!

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

On 1/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, Psicodom said:

I’ve been thinking about creating a spreadsheet with a weekly target weight, based on 1 pound per week of loss, for the next 20weeks. The goal is to keep me motivated over the next few months. Anyone have a similar experience ? Thoughts? 

This is basically what I've been doing for a couple months.  I set it up bullet-journal style and pinned it to my wall. My set-up is coloring in boxes for certain daily goals, and a weigh-check once a week.  There's a note of where I started, where I intend to finish, and I can fill in whether or not I made the goal.  The data then carries over for planning for the next month.

It's been working pretty well for me, only had to make some minor adjustments (bio-female of fertile age means data gets wonky once in a while.)

• Like 1

I heard on a podcast about using a 15 day moving average for weight.  I track my weight in a Google sheet where I calculate my 15 day moving average weight as well.  I like it for two reasons:

1) Stepping on the scale everyday keeps me honest.  If I know I'm going to step on the scale, it helps keep me motivated.

2) Having the moving average makes it easier to accept the small fluctuations from day to day.

I have only been trying to lose weight since the start of the year, but if I was not weighing myself everyday, I would have probably drifted off by now.  It is so easy to put off stepping on the scale when I don't do it everyday.

• Like 1
Weight is an unpredictable thing really. So many things can affect that measurement... water retention, hormones, you name it. There's also the fact that when you first start losing you lose faster and then it reaches a plateau... and it gets harder too see the progress on the scale.. specially if you are working out and gaining muscle weight.

Have you consider adding body measurements to your data? They are usually a bit more reliable when analyzed with the weight pattern.

I step on the scale everyday so my graph looks pretty and I can try to keep myself motivated (I understand a lot of people don't like doing that... it can be the source of huge anxiety) and I measure my waist, hips, abdomen, boobs, thighs, upper arm and neck once a week.

I hope this is helpful!

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw