References / Sources of Information.

Gymnastic Bodies Programs

8 Weeks Out - particularly for recovery information

G'day everyone,

This is my fourth Holo-Log (the previous ones can be found here).

This new Holo-Log has been created to record a focused eight week period, where I have the opportunity to remove a lot of life's distractions and achieve some quality training. After my previous logs and, more importantly, the life experiences I've gathered I believe I am worthy of being promoted to a Padawan.

For this Holo-log's class I have chosen Jedi Sentinel, which is a mix between Assassin and Monk. Sentinel is also perfect as it mixes my personal philosophy study (all Jedi need introspection, reflection and meditation), technical interests (computer science and cyber security), martial and warrior skills (career) and preference for mobility and power (gymnastics).

47165afbf816ec3e0c0357cc9d10aa4e--star-wars-jedi-star-wars-art.thumb.jpg.ce8e30df5cb7cc52cc7a8406ec7b463f.jpg

Physical Training

Sun – Recovery Session & Thoracic Bridge Stretch

Time required – 90 minutes

Mon Gymnastic Strength Training – Upper Body (odd weeks); Core (even weeks)

Time required – 60 minutes (20 mins warm up, 40 mins GST)

Tue Running Training & Front Split Stretch

Time required – 90 minutes (60 mins stretching, 30 mins running)

Wed Gymnastic Strength Training – Core (odd weeks); Upper Body (even weeks)

Thu Running Training & Middle Split Stretch

Time required – 90 minutes (60 mins stretching, 30 mins running)

Fri Gymnastic Strength Training – Upper Body (odd weeks); Core (even weeks)

Sat Gymnastic Strength Training Lower Body; Hand-Stand 1 & 2; Movement

Time required – 90 minutes (20 mins lower body, 30 mins Hand-Stand, 40 mins Movement)

Rest - Rest will be used when required. If I wake and do not feel like training, I will note this under Force Attunement. However, I will do my training. If this occurs two days in a row, then the programmed training will be switched for a recovery session.

Force Attunement - This is an indicator of how I felt prior to exercise.

1. Out of alignment. Tired, fatigued, sluggish. No desire to train.
2. Normal connection levels. Considered the 'base-line'. Desire doesn't play into this. You are capable of training.
3. Heightened connection. Above a normal level, resulting in increased optimism and feeling of well-being.

I am not going to worry about any other conditioning. No circuits, no weight lifting, no getting side-tracked with other training. This will be tough when I return to Australia, and I will need to become flexible with this, because my mates will want to train. If that is the case, consider the following priority list to do before any other training:

-       GST Upper Body

-       Hand-Stand

-       Movement

-       GST Lower Body

-       GST Core

-       Running

Mental Training

Daily

-       Post article for work education (work days only).

Weekly

-       Listen to one educational Podcast and record notes.

-       Game (video, board, anything) for no more than 21 hours, but no less than 7 hours.

-       Contribute to finishing one non-fiction book.

-       Contribute to finishing one fiction book.

Monthly

-       Read one non-fiction book and record notes.

-       Read one fiction book

Emotional Training

Daily

-       Read Daily Stoic and write to family on my reflections.

-       Write the evening notes in my Journal.

Weekly

-       Reflect on the week.

Monthly

-       Write to yourself in the future, ‘what you want to be at the end of next month’.

-       Review personality assessments.

Race - Human

Class - Jedi / Sentinel Level - 4 / 0.5
Battle Log: Holo-Log

Current Challenge: Nil

• tracer-actual changed the title to Holo-Log - Study of the Jedi Sentinel

Monday 29 Jan 18

Physical Training

AM

Skipping warm up

- 5 sets of 45s work for each of the below, one after the other with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Skipping
  • Single foot alternating
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

HBP PE3 and iM (8lbs) - 5 x 10 (Kaizen - extra set of 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1,1) - form felt better than last time. Need to start working on getting a lighter feeling on my feet.

- RC PE 2 and iM - 5x9 - (Kaizen - nil) - Still tough. Patience - but perhaps include 50% days, or reduce a step.

- sPL PE5 and iM - 5x30s (Kaizen - additional set of 21s)

Mental Training

Finished Simon Sinek's book Leaders Eat Last on Audible. Great book, and Chapter 24 - about digital technology and its impact - is worth listening to over and over again, particularly as a parent. How he links everything to the hormones Serotonin, Oxycontin, Dopamine and Endorphin is great; and a refreshing view linked to science. It's all about biology!

Another key take away was the importance of empathy to create environments of trust. Good leaders extend their safety blanket to everyone - which generates a feeling of belonging and prevents silos from building.

Don't chase creating an innovative workplace simply build a trusting, teamwork focused environment of inclusiveness (appealing to serotonin and Oxycontin - our biological convictions) and is fun and meaningful; if you do this then innovation will just happen.

He also had a good analogy of how leaders should view their people - think of it like a wedding. At a wedding, the father gives his daughter away to the husband, trusting them with her for the rest of her life. Everyone is someone's son or daughter and their parents are trusting organisations to take their children into their care. They are giving them up to us as leaders. So damn well care for them.

He also talks about control, and how healthy people have control - so don't rob them of this in the workplace. Empower them.

Race - Human

Tuesday 30 Jan 18

Physical Training

AM

Aerobic Conditioning Running

4 x 4:00 tempo / 3:00r

1 - 890m   

1r - 480m    

2 - 880m       

2r - 460m     

3 - 1000m    

3r - 510m     

4 - 1010m      

4r - 480m     

Total - 5820m

Same start point. The speed bump near the HQ

Rolled out the calves, quads and glutes.

PM

Front Split Stretch

Mental Training

Started How Everything Became War and the Military Became Everything on Audible. So far so good. It talks about how War, and those who fought them, in historical times were distanced; or separated; from civil society - and this was recognised. There were ceremonies, or at least some acknowledgement, of the differences between war and peace; and the requirements of the men who fought in them. She then begins to discuss how of all the government agencies, the military holds the highest public trust - and that, therefore, when you have a hammer, everything appears like a nail. Perhaps, because the military is so trusted by the public, the government has begun to see everything as a war? I am sure the book will unfold to tell us.

Chapter 2 describes some examples of her experiences and how the divide between War and Peace times is becoming blurred. The Abu-Graib prison incidents are a good example.

Reviewed Art of Manliness #363 - Budgeting Doesn't Have to Suck. Some notes below. I am glad Candice and I mostly already follow good budgeting practice, but he still brings up some good little rules.

Spoiler

Rule 1 – Give every dollar a job

We want all our money to go to a specific purpose. Be purposeful. What should this money do?

Rule 2 – Always look ahead

Don’t leave future you in the lurch

Rule 3 – give some flexibility to your system

Respond to things – like chess. You have a plan, but as soon as the other team does something different, you adjust. When something happens you didn’t foresee, you change a little and keep rolling

Rule 4 – Aid your money

Spend money you earnt at least 30 days ago.

-          Don’t spend money you don’t have.

-          Budgeting lets you be pro-active; allows you to not spend money on things you don’t really want

o   Same as planning your day. If you plan it, you find more time.

-          A lot of people move money around between accounts. He doesn’t agree with this and thinks it is tedious. His app breaks your amount down into each purpose.

-          Give yourself permission to switch your priorities around, and understand you aren’t doing something wrong. Prioritize giving first; take care of needs (versus wants); number three is take care of your goals/wants.

-          Reason debt is bad is because if we have to give every dollar a job, being in debt is giving money to things we have already spent. Why I don’t have a credit card! I have a home loan, but he isn’t against that.

-          Consider building an actual emergency fund, which you don’t touch – maybe for job-loss, or crisis. Don’t label your other funds as ‘emergency fund’ because you then just feel guilty when you spend it for what it is actually for! (such as car tyres, random expenses, etc). This is relevant to you.

-          Credit Cards are built to make you spend money. Understand the black hat gamification of these things. I don’t own credit cards, and will continue to not do so.

-          Be ready to adjust your budget every day (to be flexible in the future). Maybe review expenditure weekly? At least until we understand our expenses better with single income and Liam. Remain always ready to adjust.

-          What do you do when your pay-check goes up? Ideas remain the same. Evidence shows that stress is not related to actual income. Some people who make $200 000 a year still have trouble! Whatever you have, make sure it is doing what you want it to do. Give every dollar a job. Great advice. Just make sure it is doing what you want it to do – which I feel like it mostly is for Candice and I. Good food, looking after Candice and Liam (daycare, etc), and our expenses. Plus we manage to buy yearly presents for our friends and I pay off my home loan.

Emotional Training

Daily Stoic written and reflected upon.

Spoiler

You Don't Have to Stay On Top of Everything

Callum's comment: Another great point (they always are). I'm going to step away from the true point of this piece though because it made me think of a different tact.

After just finishing a great book by Simon Sinek (if you have not heard of him, please do yourself a favour and watch this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU) and he speaks about the modern, digital age playing havoc with our hormones (Serotonin and Oxycontin predominantly in this example). The ultimate bottom line for the design of modern news is making more money. Once, in the 60's, the media was controlled and required by law to maintain both sides of a story. That was abolished in recent times, meaning the media could present a single point of view in whatever fashion they desired. Why would this be the case? To open up our 'media hour' to advertising. And then came 24 hour news (a whole other corruption and perversion).

What is my point? Better spend your time building meaningful relationships with people, than pretending you're part of a 'world-wide' community. Better talk to your family and friends and pretend the internet's information is important to you. 

Don't believe me? Next time you are watching the news; forcing yourself through a Netflix TV series because it is popular; or wandering down a rabbit hole of articles - ask yourself, "to what ends?"

Race - Human

Wednesday 31 Jan 18

Physical Training

AM

Skipping warm up

- 5 sets of 45s work for each of the below, one after the other with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

V-ups and Jefferson Curls (30kg) - 5x22 (Kaizen - all sets 22)

- FL PE4 and iM - 4x48 - (Kaizen - additional set of 27 reps) - Doing V-Ups first juiced me. These were messy from about rep 36 onwards. I think I'll move V-Ups to the end, because my focus should be the actual Foundation Programming and following it as prescribed.

- Side arch holds 5x24 and iM - (Kaizen - five sets instead of four) - When left arm is raised it struggles to remain in-line with body (extension?). HandStand course mobility should correct that.

- MN PE6 with no iM (no stall bars - instead waited 30s between sets) - 5x1 (Kaizen - last four sets were 2 reps) - note this was on a standard heave beam so no backing

Switch up the order next time to prioritise Foundation One programming, as prescribed. All this means is moving V-Ups to the end.

Emotional Training

Daily Stoic written and reflected upon

Spoiler

Philosophy as Medicine for the Soul

Callum's comment: What good advise; advise that has certainly helped me in the years past. But it isn't just Stoicism! Any type of meditation, philosophy, reflection, introspective practice... even just going for a run; they all clear our minds and allow us to think, to focus on what is important. Just like sometimes you should just restart your computer, or Google Chrome because it is running a bit slow from too much input; we too are the same. Sometimes, we just need to slow down to go fast. Sometimes we need to stand still to make sure when we start again, we are still heading in the direction we want to.

Race - Human

Thursday 01 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM

1 - 880m   

1r - 490m    

2 - 900m       

2r - 470m     

3 - 1050m    

3r - 470m     

4 - 1020m      

4r - 440m     

Total - 5710m

Mental Training

Finished Week 1 of Learning How To Learn (second time I've done the course - but well worth the second run through).

Spoiler

Summary

- Procrastination is difficult because the primal, centre of your brain makes the effort seem painful. Studies show this goes away shortly after starting anything! How many examples can you think of for this? Probably a billion-million.

- Pomodoro technique helps with focus. 25 mins of focused work, with no distractions, then 5 mins of rest. This is critical - study something hard and intently (focused) and then take a break! (diffuse)

- The importance of repetition, and spaced repetition - don't do it all in one day, space out the same learning across several sessions a week.

- Two types of memory

- Working Memory = immediate processing. Mainly prefrontal cortex. Only holds about four chunks of information. Like a black board, but not a very good one - often requires repetition to keep things in working memory (like saying a phone number over and over again so you retain it).

- Long Term Memory = the warehouse. Different kinds of long term memories are stored in different parts of the brain (Building Shooters touches on this). You need to place things into long term memory a few times to increase the chances to find it later. This is practice and repetition. Spaced repetition is key here.

- Two modes of thinking: Focused and Diffuse. You need both to learn, and going back and forth between them is critical. Think of the gym analogy, you need to work AND rest to get stronger. When stuck on a problem, try going into diffuse mode for a while - go for a run, take a shower, play guitar, etc.

- Being awake cause toxins in your brain to build up. Sleep makes your neurons shrink, allowing the toxins to be flushed out.

- During sleep your brain tidies up things you are learning. It erases less important parts and strengthens the neuro-links of what you're learning. It also rehearses some of the tougher parts of what you're learning, therefore strengthening it! If you set in mind, before sleeping, that you want to dream about what you're learning it improves the chance of dreaming about it. Dreaming about what you're learning improves understanding.

- The hippo-campus grows new neurons. It does so when stimulated by other people. In the absence of others though - exercise grows neurons!!! This is awesome.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

For the Hot Headed Man

Callum's comment: "It's weakness" is an interesting comment. Why is it a weakness? Because you are letting it rule you. Same as overwhelming sadness or impulsive desire. It is simple for me, just think of who you want to be - imagine yourself reacting to angering situations in one of two ways; with an outburst or a calm exterior, appearing to be coping just fine. It helps to remember that one of these is also helpful, and one is not.

I think I've steadily improved and improved on this since I read/wrote it last February. How great philosophy is for us!

Race - Human

Friday 02 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

HBP PE3 and iM (8lbs) - 5 x 10 (Kaizen - extra set of 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1,1) - Probably not a great enough lean. I need to start filming these.

- RC PE 2 and iM - 5x9 - (Kaizen - nil) - After considering dropping a rep scheme, I don't think I need to based on today's performance. It was still tough, but better. Patience.

- sPL PE5 and iM - 5x30s (Kaizen - additional set of 22s) - Get after it with these! Lean hard, then after another few weeks film it and submit for review.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

A Proper Frame of Mind

Callum's comment: Something we get wrong in modern society is the idea that you just need to 'let your emotions out'. Children are told to not bottle up their emotions, to let them free, to express them... Well I think that is garbage. Control is what we should be encouraging. Control your emotions; don't let them rule you, or act for you.

Now I am not talking about deep, powerful emotion - such as losing a child - now that needs to be expressed, and talked about, and understood. But if you drop your glass of orange juice off the table, you don't get angry, or upset. You don't let your emotions 'out' over trivial, meaningless events. You control them, and become a master of yourself in doing so. 

Mastering your emotions also gives you clarity greater than you had before - like waking up in the morning and wiping the grit from your eyes. Why is this? Buddhism describes it as creating space between your actions and your emotions - space that gives you time to think; to be independent.

Race - Human

Saturday 03 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

Leg Mobility

- 5 x super-set of the following:

- 5 inside squats

- 10 Skiers

- 5 Natural Leg Extension

- 10 Twisting Squats

Wrist Work

- Wrist Warm-Up

- Wrist Pushups SE4 5x5

- First Knuckle Pushups PE1 5x5

- Wrist Rocks SE4 5x5

- Fingertips Pushups SE4 5x2

Handstand 1 & 2

- Free Standing Handstand PE2 & iM - 5 x 36s

- Press Handstand PE1 & iM - 5x5 - keep at this, working on intense shoulder contractions and proper positions.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Callum's comment: Anxiety holds a place of greater power in my life since Liam was born, if I am honest. Particularly when I am not home and see myself as able to 'control' his safety. As the Daily Stoic mentions, what do I want? A world that is always safe! Yet really, that would be awful! A world that is always safe would be a dull life and existence, which I don't want for my son (and I would be out of a job!). Also, I trust Candice with everything I have, and between both of us we will keep Liam as safe as we physically can. Further, is this anxiety doing any good? No, because it is not anything I can influence - nor should I seek to influence at all times. The questions above are a great check to regain control when feeling anxious. With practice, we can remember them and use them. Regaining that calmness, that gap between your emotions and your mind, is a super-power that we all possess - and elevate us above animals.

Race - Human

Sunday 04 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM

Recover Session

- 10 sets of 1:00 work for each of the below, one after the other with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

Rolled Calves and Quads.

Mental Training

Listened to Order of Man 148: True Transformation Through Exercise and Nutrition. Key take away points were: Discipline is a skill, and therefore grows or decays with practice or absence; Always plan for failure - what will you do when you fail, how will you respond;  Fall in love with the process, because once you get to the 'end' what will you be left with?; and lastly get after failure. Pursue it ruthlessly, and change your focus so you are trying to get better by failing. All truly great people fail a lot, and they ruthlessly pursue and learn from itAdditionally, he spoke about moving more throughout the day (a common theme from a lot of respected people). Why not try setting an alarm for every hour to walk for 10 minutes? Call it your Audiobook break and use it to listen to your books!

Listened to Learning Leader 227: True Artist Don't Starve. What a great episode. Big dreams start by being curios. 

Taking big risks isn't how to be a creative. Start by being curious, investigating doing something, be persistent & don't just quit your job, keep at it and see what achievement you can attain - GRIT - it might be a novel, a fully painted boardgame, or whatever. Then if you really enjoyed it maybe then you change your life.

Jon Grisham was used as an example. He was a lawyer and father, who thought he might try writing. He went to office each day one hour early and wrote. After a year he finished his first novel and it didn't do well. But he enjoyed the process so much that he did it again and his second novel was a best seller. At that point, he quit his job. Funny thing is when he stated he didn't even know if he wanted to be a writer - but he just have it a go with curiosity. Small steps are the keys to success, like so much advice from many other experts.

Artists, like leaders, aren't born. Anyone can train themselves. 

Emotional Training

Spoiler

On Being Invincible

Callum's comment: It is a super power, controlling yourself with such discipline. Think of every tale that involves a hero, or a super hero, and without doubt their strength came from their internal discipline, and we admire them for it. 

Courage is just discipline over fear; compassion is discipline over hate; empathy is discipline over jealousy; peace is discipline over anger. 

Perhaps the first line of the Jedi Code is relevant here - There is no emotion, there is peace.

Race - Human

Monday 05 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 2

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

- FL PE4 and iM - 4x48 - (Kaizen - additional set of 28 reps) - Much better today than last time.

- Side arch holds 5x24 and iM - (Kaizen - nil)

- MN PE6 with no iM (no stall bars - instead waited 30s between sets) - 5x2 (Kaizen - all sets were 2 reps) - note this was on a standard heave beam so no backing

PM - Force Attunement: 2

V-ups and Jefferson Curls (20kg) - 5x24 (Kaizen - all sets 24)

- Double Leg Pike Pulses - 4 x 20 / 30s recovery between sets. Then played around with single leg and holds.

- 5:00 in the bottom squat position.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Steady Your Impulses

Callum's comment: I think it would be a difficult task to find someone who didn't agree, or at least see merit, in thinking before you act. Creating the space between your impulses, your emotions, gives you breathing room. Interesting choice of words, because breathing exercises are very useful in taking charge of emotions - when they feel overwhelming, breathing in and out to a count of four, with pauses, will quickly get you back in control. 

Race - Human

Tuesday 06 Feb 18

Physical Training

1 - 930m   

1r - 480m    

2 - 910m       

2r - 430m     

3 - 1070m    

3r - 450m     

4 - 1030m      

4r - 510m     

Total - 5830m

Rolled calves afterwards

PM - Force Attunement: 2

Front Split Stretch

Mental Training

Listened to Order of Man Episode 144: Living Your Full Potential. Interview with Bedros Keuilian (www.manup.com). One great take away was the idea of not letting the little decisions slow you down. Don't pause and think about them - make them and move on; and adjust later if you have to. This is similar to combat decision making - the person who decides first, and forces the opponent to act, will often win - they have the initiative, and can make subsequent decisions far quicker and with greater accuracy given their experience. Making a decision with as low as 30% information / probability can often still win provided it is done before your opponent. In the interview, Bedros talks about not mulling over the finer details - such as which cab company you'll take for dinner. Instead, try "mate, I'm going to get an Uber and pick you up at 7. We will go get a Steak at Cactus Jacks, then head to that book & coffee shop for a brew and a chat. What do you think?" - be decisive on the minor details. Then, in the above example, your mate might just say "sure man, but lets get a cab not an Uber." "Ok, no big deal!" 

He also talks about being specific with your minor decisions. Don't say "I'm going to the gym in the morning", instead set a time. "I'm going to the gym at 0600" (for example). Don't then mull over what shirt to wear to the gym, just grab one and go. Little decisions rarely matter, and they teach your brain to act on big decisions in a similar fashion - allowing you to be decisive, and act first (like the combat example above).

Emotional Training

Written and reflected on the Daily Stoic

Spoiler

Don't Seek Out Strife

Callum's comment: Today's Daily Stoic was very good I thought. Some of us can pursue 'strife', or action, or things to do, just because of the need to have to be doing something. Similar to what the other day spoke of about impulses - we shouldn't let this need control us. I think having drive, dedication, passion, grit, are absolutely great qualities - but we need to make sure we are doing these things for the right reasons, not just because we think we should. As an inheritor of the 'sharking gene' this can be a problem for me. But through the discovery of Philosophy I am learning to quite my ambitions, and learn to focus that energy on things that matter. Do I fail at this? regularly, and spectacularly. But I keep trying. Like Seneca says, the wise do not choose a turbulent life they only accept it when necessary.

Race - Human

Wednesday 07 Feb 18

Physical Training

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

HBP PE3 and iM (8lbs) - 5 x 10 (Kaizen - extra set of 5, 5,5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1,1) - I need to start filming these - do this on Saturday. Rings had been removed so I elected to do the remainder this afternoon hoping there will be rings in the gym at my accommodation tonight. A lot going on with work (big movements)

PM - Force Attunement: 3

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST (remainder from this morning)

- RC PE 2 and iM - 5x9 - (Kaizen - nil) - No rings, but there was a squat rack and bar in the gym so used that. Felt pretty good. Still needs work, but getting there. Added a Kaizen rep to prove how good I felt about it!

- sPL PE5 and iM - 5x30s (Kaizen - additional set of 27s)

Mental Training

Listened to Learning Leader #235 - How To Make The Big Leap, with Dr. Gay Hendricks. Key points were - 'Paint it Red'. If you are not good at something, paint it red by letting everyone know. Similar to other principles in this vein, but opening it up it removes the ego aspect and builds trust/empathy among those around you that enables learning and growing.

The discussion on fear was good. Nothing new, but always great to hear. You must acknolwedge your fears. Don't try to 'out argue' or 'out-fact' them. Speak to your shared fears when scared. An example for you - whenever it is time to train Psuedo Planche Pushups you get a little afraid. They are tough, and you know it, but more importantly you are afraid of under-performing. But that is only a benchmark you have set! Plenty of ways you can out-argue doing them well - better to acknowledge the fears and talk to them. 'Why am I afraid of you? Anxiety - which is fear of future results! What future results am I afraid of? My own! No-one is going to be hurt, and nothing negative is going to happen. In-fact, regardless of the results, it is GROWTH!'

He also talked about his Upper Limit Theory - the idea that, due to previous experience, upbringing, etc, there is a 'limit' you mentally assign to your abilities, success, etc. When you surpass this, you make mental changes to come back to you 'Upper Limit'. Almost like you don't believe you can move beyond this and grow. He uses the example of diet - you are doing really well for the whole week, eating healthy, and then on the weekend you eat a big cheeseburger and you can't workout why? Maybe not the best example, but it works well enough. Think about physical training! Half the time, getting stronger and learning new moves only happens when you become truly open to the idea that there is nothing stopping you.

He describes the four zones we work in. 1. The zone of incompetence; 2. The zone of competence; 3. The zone of excellence; 4. The zone of genius.

- To do this the service is deserves, you need to get the book

Lastly, relationships are about gratitude and appreciation. Timeless advice.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Fear Is A Self Fulfilling Prophecy

Callum's comment: You know, I experienced this today. I was anxious about the large move we had going over today, tomorrow and Friday. Remembering anxiety is just fear of something in the future. Yet why was I afraid? Am I not capable of breaking everything down into single actions that I can do, one after the other? Yes, but I was afraid of things not turning out. The funny thing is, they always do. So whilst I was concerned, I created a downwards vortex within which I spun and continued to worry. Thankfully, I had philosophy. I knew what was happening and could catch myself - I could create that space between emotion and me. It would have been easy to spiral 'out of control' today and inflict my angst on everyone around me, making it worse. Instead, I knew to take a deep breath and control my emotions in front of others. The end result? Whilst I battled inner turmoil and anger, the job got done. And who'd have thought, it worked out perfectly fine (and a better result than expected). Whilst I do believe I have a lucky star (thank you Arthur), part of it was my own power of change and not letting fear become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Took the Gretchen Rubin Four Tendencies Quiz, after listening to her interview on Learning Leader Podcast. Turns out I'm a Questioner - which I'd agree with.

Race - Human

Thursday 08 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM

Couldn't do my Aerobic Running - stuck in a hotel for work. Thought I could use the treadmill, but their max speed setting was 12km/h - and I needed at least 15km/h. Well, time to be flexible and mix it up. I brought Sunday's recovery session forward instead.

Recover Session

- 10 sets of 1:00 work for each of the below, one after the other with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

Mental Training

Completed more elements from Week 2 of Learning How To Learn - specifically, the 'How to make Chunks' videos.

How do you make a chunk? 

- Focused practice. No distractions.

- Develop an understanding of the basic idea of what you are trying to chunk

- Test your understanding to cement the chunk! This is critical and the difference between the 'aha!' moment, and true understanding.

- When you can do it yourself, then you truly understand the chunk

You also need to gain context of when, and when not to, use the chunk.

This can further understood as two processes - Bottom Up and Top Down.

- Bottom up is repetition and practice, which builds the chunk to be accessible.

- Top Down is understanding where the chunk fits. It is the 'big picture' to see what you are learning and where it fits.

The analogy (because analogies are excellent for understanding) - think of it like a Jigsaw Puzzle. The box art gives you the top down understanding of what you are building towards (the big picture). Now, you build your chunks 'bottom up' by slowly piecing bits of the puzzle together into 'chunks'. By understanding the big picture (what the puzzle will look like at the end), you can position those chunks where they roughly go, despite the gaps in the puzzle. Then, over time, as you strengthen the chunks - they begin to link together... until hey presto! Puzzle complete, and mastery achieved.

This is brilliant, and one of the best parts of the entire MOOC.

Emotional Training

Daily Stoic written and reflected upon.

Spoiler

Did That Make You Feel Better?

Callum's comment: This one is interesting. I agree with it on one level, but do not on another. Depending on the emotion and the situation, sometimes expressing it does make you feel better. Intense, extreme, powerful, life-changing type emotion needs to be expressed I think because you simply cannot hold that inside - and to try wouldn't be honourable or justified in any way. But, like what I've written about recently, if your emotions are controlling you then of course out-bursts are not helpful, and don't make you feel any better. The comment above 'Only in the bubble of extreme emotion can we justify that kind of behavior' is true then, but I certainly don't feel sheepish or embarrassed about releases of extreme emotion (mainly sadness from recent memory). There is not, however, a time where I can imagine anger ever being useful in an outburst. Feel it internally, certainly, clench your fists, punch a pillow in solitude, regain that power - but don't unleash it in a tantrum. That does no good.

Race - Human

Friday 09 Feb 18

Physical Training

PM - Force Attunement:2 After a long, sleepless night, I knew this would be tough. I feel like this knowledge helped keep my attunement up.

conducted on a treadmill, and on a different day as a result of changes to this week's work timetable. Set it up with 1.0 incline.

1 - 16 km/h 

1r - 10 km/h  

2 - 16 km/h       

2r - 9 km/h   

3 - 16 km/h     

3r - 9 km/h     

4 - 16 km/h      

4r - 9 km/h (1:00) then 10 km/h (2:00)     

Good work getting after it this afternoon

Race - Human

Saturday 10 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 2 (I was ready to train, but needed to get into it)

Warm Up

- 5 sets of 1:00 work for each of the below, one after the other with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

- FL PE4 and iM - 4x48 - (Kaizen - additional set of 29 reps) - Feeling good

- Side arch holds 5x30 and iM - (Kaizen - 1st set was 32s per side) - Keep focusing on strong, hard contractions here.

Handstand 1 & 2

- Free Standing Handstand PE2 & iM - 4 x 48s - no weighted bar, so did some extension stretching for 10s.

- Press Handstand PE1 & iM - 5x5 - keep at this, working on intense shoulder contractions and proper positions.Get to love this, focus on the pressing away from the ground and protraction!

- MN PE6 with no iM (no stall bars - instead waited 30s between sets) - 5x2 (Kaizen - last set was 3 reps) - Starting to get 'intense' now with the last set of 3 reps. Yes!

Mental Training

Continued 'Learning How To Learn' MOOC (Week 2) - Some great information here.

Spoiler

- The importance of Recall! Recall is the best technique for enhancing learning (better than re-reading, or mind-mapping). Recall means reading (or learning) something new, looking away and attempting to recite the information. The more you do this, the stronger/better developed your chunks become which enable you to free up space in your working memory.

- Highlighting and underlining work must be used with caution, as it can be ineffective and misleading! The best way to use this technique is after, and only after, reading and understanding a paragraph, go back and highlight one key sentence. Even better, highlight only key words that synthesize the information.

- Recall practiced away from your place of study is even better! As when learning you can take visual clues that help you memory (from the environment around you). Changing the environment (just going for a walk while recalling) breaks any dependency on those cues.

Illusions of competence - having the information in front of you (book open, Wikipedia open, etc) generates an illusion of competence. It is critical to continually test yourself. This also links to using the focused and diffuse thinking always while studying. 

Thinking about the above points, when studying with the pomodoro technique, go for a walk in your diffuse time! think about other things and get away from your topics. Then, after a maybe 2-3 pomodoro sessions, test yourself.

- What motivates you?

- Acetylcholine - which is critical for focused learning. It helps build synaptic plasticity which leads to new long term memories by forming connections to the cortex.

- Dopamine - Is released when you receive an unexpected reward (encouraging you to re-do that behavior that warranted the reward), or in anticipation of a reward (again, encouraging you to repeat that behavior). Interestingly, a severe loss of dopamine receptors is what Parkinson's disease is. What does this mean? Reward yourself - or plan your rewards for your study. Pomodoro is good for this, because you know you are going to be rewarded with a mini-break for a short amount of hard work now.

- Serotonin - the 'social hormone' and related to risk-taking behaviour. Motivates you to be socially accepted.

Emotions are linked to, and enhance, learning. 'Building Shooters' by Dustin Solomon talks about this. Train when happy - and link positive emotions to the training (both before, during and after).

Emotional Training

Daily Stoic written and reflected upon. Anger is Bad Fuel. No additional comment - it was perfect the way it is.

Race - Human

Sunday 11 Feb 18

Physical Training

Recover Session

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

Leg Mobility

- 5 inside squats

- 10 Skiers

- 10 Twisting Squats

Emotional Training

Hero or Nero?

Spoiler

Callum's comment: There is the thought that if evil exists (which I absolutely believe it does), then therefore so must good. In Harry Potter, Dumbledore says to Harry "It is our choices, Harry, that show who we are, far more than our abilities." Choices for me are what make us heroic. If we want to pursue the good in the world, to be a hero, then it starts with and ends with choices. That is what today's Daily Stoic is all about. Your inner strength and self-awareness feed into the choices you make. What you value, what you keep in check, how you react to temptation, is all your choices. Regardless of Hero, be they successful or tragic, they are heroic because they make choices. We all have that power - that super power - and can become heroes. For the same reason, and because good exists, we can also all become villains, and give in to evil. Choices. So what will you choose?

Race - Human

Monday 12 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 2 Got up at 0320 h to get the training done, before an early drive and early start. Good work.

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

HBP PE3 and iM (8lbs) - 5 x 10 (Kaizen - extra set of 6, followed by 3 deep breaths, then 2, then 3 deep breaths, then 2) - mixing up the Kaizen now. Extra set of 10, broken by deep breath rests (3 deep breaths) as required

- RC PE 2 and iM - 5x9 - (Kaizen - extra set of 2 reps. Second was slow and controlled lower) - handles hung from the smith machine

- sPL PE5 and iM - 5x30s (Kaizen - additional set of 28s)

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Protect Your Peace of Mind

Callum's comment: I'm glad for the tact of today's Daily Stoic. Often, we look at Stoicism and philosophy as a means to protect ourselves and reason through difficulty. The better solution is why subject yourself to this to begin with? I guess we can't all change every situation that stresses, provokes, angers, or annoys us - and this is where philosophy has its place; in helping us work through these difficulties healthily, and with a clear mind. But it is great to acknowledge that removing the situation all together is the best solution. 

Race - Human

Tuesday 13 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 1 (note 1/2) - woke this morning heavy and tired. Made myself train, because sometimes it is just about practicing doing what you don't want to do. First time I haven't wanted to train in a while. 

Aerobic Conditioning Running - heavy legs. Went at it, but not pushing myself too hard. Heavy head wind on part of lap 1, lap 3, and part of lap 4 coming in off the coast. Just maintained a solid RPE of about 7 for most intervals (maybe peaking to 8 at times).

1 - 830m   

1r - 500m    

2 - 890m       

2r - 440m     

3 - 950m    

3r - 500m     

4 - 930m      

4r - 530m     

Total - 5570m

Rolled out calves and quads afterwards. Quads were very tender.

PM - Force Attunement: 2 - I suspect telling myself all day that I would be stretching helped make me more prepared.

Front Split Stretch

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Pleasure Can Become Punishment

Callum's comment: Candice once asked me how I can be disciplined in certain things in my life, and I attempted to answer it as best I could - but I struggled. This is the answer. The real pleasure becomes your self-control, your discipline; and it is far more rewarding than the alternative. Also understand there is a difference between temptation and enjoying life - one isn't necessary, and the other most certainly is.

Race - Human

Wednesday 14 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 2

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

- FL PE4 and iM - 4x48 - (Kaizen - additional set of 30 reps, first set was also 50 reps) - Feeling good

- Side arch holds 5x30 and iM - (Kaizen - additional set of 15s) - Keep at it. Hard contractions.

- MN PE6 with no iM (no stall bars - instead waited 30s between sets) - 5x2 (Kaizen - last two sets were 3 reps) - Intense, shaking legs by end of last set. Approaching 'that point' - BOOM, get after it.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Think Before You Act

Callum's comment: Common in Stoicism, but so true. 'To live is to struggle' refers to this; not your immediate thought that life IS hardship & unhappiness, but rather it is to constantly struggle against influences that would lead us towards those things. The happiest, most successful, most well loved people live and therefore struggle in the same way we all do. It doesn't mean discomfort or pain, but rather that we should all always look to be the best person we can be. Marcus says 'spend no more time worrying about what a good man is; be one.' And this is how we do so - we struggle and we fight to fix our attention on our intelligence. 

Race - Human

Thursday 15 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 2 much better

1 - 920m   

1r - 470m    

2 - 920m       

2r - 400m     

3 - 1030m    

3r - 480m     

4 - 1010m      

4r - 540m     

Total - 5760m

Rolled out calves and quads afterwards.

PM - Force Attunement: 2

Middle Split Stretch

20 mins practicing Combat Shooting Drills - High Ready, Low Ready, Static Turns, Post Engagement Sequence, a couple of Pistol engagements from the holster.

Mental Training

- Continued into Week 3 of Learning How To Learn.

Spoiler

- How do you control your mental zombies from taking over and allowing you to procrastinate (or do bad habits)? Well, understand there are four parts to a habit: the Cue, the Process, the Reward, and the Belief. You dont want to be spending significant mental energy, only just enough to change it - and that is immediately after the cue. You need to catch yourself before the process begins. Pomodoro is good for this, as it removes distractions (and the chances of cues!). Feeling like not doing anything after lunch, and work is tough - that too is a cue! Then, once you invest effort in acknowledging the cue and changing the process, reward yourself. Have a break (again what pomodoro is good for), or better yet, get used to rewarding yourself with pride you did something. Focus on the process not the product - thinking about the product generally is painful because you can feel far away from it (and therefore activates the mental zombies). Instead, just focus on process - "I'll train diligently for 20 minutes" <-no concern for the product here.

Lastly, believe you can change your habits. Social groups, of like minded / same interest people are good for this.

-Planning your quitting time is equally important as planning your working time. eg: I'm finishing at 5pm today

"Eat your frogs first thing in the morning" - start your day with one of the harder things you have to do. Try a pomodoro first thing in the morning. Apparently it does wonders.

- We began touching on memory as well. Acknowledging your visual spatial system is a super sized element of your brain and is linked to your memory. Therefore using visual techniques to memorise stuff significantly enhances your ability to do so. The more vivid and out of the ordinary, the better. She used the example of a skydiving donkey - imagine seeing it, feeling its fur, smelling its stink, seeing its chops flap in the breeze, hearing that breeze whip past - and she associates it with the equation f=ma; going further by saying f=flying, m=mule, and you can assign your own value for a. Using your visual spatial part of your brain is powerful - because it is so developed and powerful, and helpfully has deep links into your memory. We evolved like this for a reason (survival), so use it.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Only Bad Dreams

Callum's comment: Again, creating that space between you and your emotion. That breathing room. That cavity between walls between rooms. Think about all the times you were truly concerned about something, and how often that concern was justified in the end? Very few I imagine. I guess it just comes down to trusting that it will all work out in the end. Especially for Candice and I - because we have a lucky star:) 

Race - Human

Friday 16 Feb 18

Physical Training

Skipping warm up

- 5 sets of 1:00 work for each of the below, one after the other with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

HBP PE3 and iM (8lbs) - 5 x 10 (Kaizen - extra set of 6, followed by 3 deep breaths, then 3, then 3 deep breaths, then 1) - mixing up the Kaizen now. Extra set of 10, broken by deep breath rests (3 deep breaths) as required

PM - Force Attunement: 2

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

GST

- RC PE 2 and iM - 5x9 - (Kaizen - extra set of 3 reps. Second was slow and controlled lower) - handles hung from the smith machine

- sPL PE5 and iM - 5x30s (Kaizen - additional set of 30s) - Solid, now to really work on increasing the lean. Might have to dial back the times a bit and build back up.

Mental Training

- Finished Week 3 of Learning How To Learn

Spoiler

- Learnt about the Hippo-campus, and how it is important for consolidation memory (working memory to long term). 

- Learnt about the re-consolidation process. Each time a memory is drawn from Long Term to Working, it will then be re-consolidated back into the Long Term, which can lead to false memories, but also why spacing your learning is so important (6 x 10 min sessions across a week is better than 1 x 60 min session)

- Consolidation takes time - Building Shooters speaks about this, which is why sleep is so important.

- Using your visual spatial part of you brain is a powerful way of enhancing memory. Use the Memory Palace technique, where you place items you want to remember inside a very well known physical space (such as your house) and associate the items inside their. For example, to remember a shopping list, place the items in and around your house - then to remember it, take a visual memory walk inside you house.

- The more vivid your spatial images, and the funnier or more bizarre they are, the better it will work at enhancing memory.

- Mnemonics (memorable sentences) are a powerful tool. "Grand Ma Sucks" = "Grid to Magnetic Subtract" is a great example.

Emotional Training

- Daily Stoic written and reflected upon

Spoiler

Don't Make Things Harder Than They Have To Be

Callum's comment: 'if you could step back' is worth underlining. To first not make things worse than they need to be, you need to be able to step back. In Barbara Oakley's excellent (and free) online course 'Learning How To Learn' she describes habits as having four components: the cue, the routine, the reward, and the belief. Basically, something cues you to initiate a routine, which is then rewarded and re-affirms your belief in the habit. Simple example? The door bell rings (cue), your body immediately stops focusing on everything and you stop (routine), you answer the doorbell and are rewarded with a conclusion to that interruption, and lastly you then subconsciously acknowledge your action was the right thing (belief). In order to step back and focus on the individual acts, to methodically complete each task, you must first be vigilant for the cue initiates the routine you don't want to fall into. That is taking a step back and not letting emotion get in the way.

Race - Human

Saturday 17 Feb 18

Physical Training

Skipping warm up

• Skipping
  • High knees
  • Mummy kicks
  • Single foot 5 per side

Did some V-Ups and Jefferson Curls (30kg) afterwards, just because I wanted to do some Jefferson Curls! So good.

- 5 x 25 and 5 Jefferson Curls.

Leg Mobility

- 5 inside squats

- 10 Skiers

- 10 Twisting Squats

Wrist Work

- Wrist Warm-Up

- Wrist Pushups SE4 5x5

- First Knuckle Pushups PE1 5x5

- Wrist Rocks SE4 5x5

- Fingertips Pushups SE4 5x2

Handstand 1

- Free Standing Handstand PE2 & iM - 4 x 60s - iM was a static hold/stretch - no light enough weighted bars in the hotel gym.

Mental Training

- Listened to Tim Ferriss Podcast interview with Terry Laughlin (The Master Who Changed My Life). Phenomenal. Not worth commenting on, just listen to it again, and again, and again.

Emotional Training

- Daily Stoic written and reflected upon

Spoiler

The Enemy of Happiness

Callum's comment: Yes, but with caveats, is what I would say to this one. I agree with the the purpose of the message - which is that we have everything we need inside ourselves to be happy. However, dreaming of a better future, or eager anticipation, is not something that is the enemy of happiness; it is not something that prevents you from being truly happy. Relying on conditional happiness, now that is a different story. But enhancing your joy, or even using it to drive you, is not a bad thing. 

Race - Human

Sunday 18 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 3 - excited for training today.

Recover Session - Watched Buddy Lee's video from his book and learnt about the 16 techniques he recommends practicing. Decided to give them a go this morning and just play around! I didn't stick to any single jump - instead tried to just keep mixing them up. I tried and failed many times, but man it was fun. It can only be described as child-like joy.

• Nearly all of the 16 techniques, playing around continually.

Handstand 2

- Press Handstand PE1 & iM - 5x5 - keep at this, continues to be great - focusing on the lats and shoulders. 

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Prepare for the Storm

Callum's comment: Before we begin, what a great quote! The struggle is great, the task divine - to gain master, freedom, happiness, and tranquility. Such beautiful prose and language. Anyway, again we are talking about creating that space between emotion and action. Remember what a habit is? A cue, then a routine, then a reward and finally a belief. Changing the routine is the only part that needs energy - and this is how we can prepare. All too easy to let our impressions rule how we feel and act, much harder to rally against it and to fight! How powerful is that? Beautiful.

• Like 1

Race - Human

Monday 19 Feb 18

Physical Training

AM - Force Attunement: 1 - I was up since 0230 h sick - something I ate did not agree with me. As a result, I didn't train in the morning as planned.

PM - Force Attunement: 2 - Started to feel better in the afternoon. Didn't think it wise to train my core given my sore stomach/sickness. Got the skipping rope out instead. 

- 8 sets of 1:00 work for each of the below, one after the other with no break. 20s between sets. 

- continued working on the 16 techniques, but got juiced pretty quickly. A bit weak from not absorbing any food for the last 18 hours I think.

Emotional Training

Spoiler

The Banquet of Life

Callum's comment:

A pretty good metaphor really, particularly his analogy in the second paragraph. Banquets are also fun, and life is meant to be fun - full of laughter, socialising, eating and merry-making; and (I think) most importantly story-telling. Enjoy the moment, a make it like a good banquet - one you go to bed afterwards and think 'gee that was a good time'. If we can live each day, or moment, like that... well then, what a life!

Race - Human

Tuesday 20 Feb 18

Physical Training

Skipping warm up

- 5 sets of 45s work for each of the below, one after the other (in a random order) with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Alternating between double foot jump and single foot jump
  • Alternating between double foot jump and star jump
  • Alternating between single foot jump and split jump
  • Alternating between mummer kicks, high knees, rear kicks
  • Alternating between twisting jumps, box jumps, side jumps

GST - switched running for the GST I missed yesterday. More of a priority.

- FL PE4 and iM - 4x48 - (Kaizen - additional set of 34 reps, first set was also 53 reps) - Harder this morning but got it done

- Side arch holds 5x30 and iM - (Kaizen - nil) - Interrupted by a work conversation sadly. About 20 minutes before I could go onto the next exercise.

- MN PE6 with no iM (no stall bars - instead waited 30s between sets) - 5x2 (Kaizen - last four sets were 3 reps) - Very intense. But finished it!

Emotional Training

Spoiler

The Grand Parade of Desire

Callum's comment: It is true that joy and happiness isn't something that comes from over-indulgence or physical desires. Can we over-indulge in ourselves though? I mean internally; can we ever spend too much effort on our spirit, our character? I don't think so - again, it comes back to what is within your control and what makes you a good person.

Race - Human

Wednesday 21 Feb 18

Physical Training

Skipping warm up

- 5 sets of 45s work for each of the below, one after the other (in a random order) with no break. 20s between sets. 

• Alternating between double foot jump and single foot jump
  • Alternating between double foot jump and star jump
  • Alternating between single foot jump and split jump
  • Alternating between mummer kicks, high knees, rear kicks
  • Alternating between twisting jumps, box jumps, side jumps

GST

HBP PE3 and iM (8lbs) - 5 x 10 (Kaizen - extra set of 5, followed by 2 deep breaths, then 1, then 3 deep breaths, then 2) - mixing up the Kaizen now. Extra set of 10, broken by deep breath rests (3 deep breaths) as required

- RC PE 2 and iM - 5x9 - (Kaizen - extra set of 3 reps. Second was slow and controlled lower) - handles hung from the smith machine

- sPL PE5 and iM - 5x18s (Kaizen - first set was 30s) - dialled it back and increased the lean. First set was the original lean at 30s to give me context. 

Emotional Training

Spoiler

Wish Not, Want Not

Callum's comment: There is a fine line between good and evil and that line is is central to ambition. We can want for good, but it can easily become corrupted, become possessive, we can lose control, and even damage us or others. Philosophy helps us remain vigilant against crossing that line. It helps us remember what is within our control and what our grander purpose is - to be good. It shields us from disappointment, and helps us re-frame setbacks and disaster to sustain our focus. Wish away and want away, I say, but remain vigilant for the downside of doing so - and don't let it influence you. Everything can be positive.

Race - Human