Jump to content

AceVixen: one week challenge


AceVixen

Recommended Posts

Well, it was said I was welcome to join in any time I wanted, so I'm here for the last week!!

 

I went through the 4-week challenge help and came up with some goals and smart goals. A lot of them are specific points that need to be done, rather than 'do x every day'.  I will just pick a few small things from the challenge to do this week and then come back for the next challenge with a proper plan and EXP and everything. ;-)

 

So this week I will: 

 

- Go to hoop class on Monday

- Strength train on Wednesday

- Boulder at the weekend

- Research gymnastic rings basics

 

- E-mail my old boss & set up a meeting

- Network with people 

 

Edit: I have put in all my SMART goals on my character sheet. :-) https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/7486/

 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Only a baby aerialist!!! 

 

So, I have been to hoop class (yay) and e-mailed my old boss. Horay, go me, or something. The hoop class was the last one of a beginner's course that I was taking. I think I'm going to switch from pole to hoop now. I never stick to the pole, and I don't seem to get a very good workout while I'm doing is falling off and crying in pain. Also, you get to wear clothes on the hoop, so it's a win/win.

 

Anyway, some pics. I was super excited to get up onto the top bar!

 

 

 

27072986_10155932948036181_8330389368649642751_n.jpg

27657252_10155932947341181_6893003013771870980_n.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post

Yeah pics! Sporting cool leggings as well!

 

1 hour ago, AceVixen said:

I never stick to the pole, and I don't seem to get a very good workout while I'm doing is falling off and crying in pain. Also, you get to wear clothes on the hoop, so it's a win/win.

 

Pole is not my favorite either, too slippery. Chinese pole is nice though, it has a covering, so you can keep your clothes on :lol:
I'm a total wimp on hoop and trapeze  -_- (I'm more into vertical supple things that burn :D )

Link to post

Well, how did my tiny one week challenge go? Well, I learnt that doing challenges that rely on other people are annoying. I wanted to meet with someone for networking purposes, and they stood me up twice! But... I randomly bumped into him in the street, so I guess that worked out ok. I managed to do hoop, one strength session, and go bouldering, even though my friend who was meant to be coming with me was injured. I didn't spend much time researching rings, except for looking at a couple of videos on false grip (which is like, hard, right?). Still, I'm counting this challenge a win. 

 

I also tried to find out a bit about how I can get the practice in for aerial hoop now my beginner's course is over. I've found a place in Scotland which does it (might be moving in there in the Summer, this is what my networking is about, trying to find a new job). I tried practising moves on a horizontal metal bar, and nope, that way leads to death. It's too wide and slippy. I asked the teacher if it's ok to come in and practice on the hoops alone, and she didn't sound like she thought that was a very good idea at this stage! (probably envisioning broken necks). She did give me a recommendation of a book with all the moves in. But it costs like £23! Ouch! Maybe one for when I've advanced a bit more, and I'm starting to think about practising on my own. I might make a little database of all the moves I know so far though... nerd!

 

Anyways, looking forward to doing my full and proper challenge with you guys soon!!

Link to post

Hey if you are going to Scotland and are  wondering about where to train, ping me because I used to live in Edinburgh and I still have quite a lot of aerial contacts over there. I could find out precisely who does what and where in quite a few places, not just Edinburgh. Also usually in September every year there is a mega aerial week-end called EAAC and early-bird discounts are available in June if I remember correctly. Just so you know because it's a great opportunity with a wide variety of apparatus and teachers from all over the world literally. And they cater for all levels.

 

It's great that you joined in for this challenge! And see you again for the next one!

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, @mu said:

Hey if you are going to Scotland and are  wondering about where to train, ping me because I used to live in Edinburgh and I still have quite a lot of aerial contacts over there. I could find out precisely who does what and where in quite a few places, not just Edinburgh. Also usually in September every year there is a mega aerial week-end called EAAC and early-bird discounts are available in June if I remember correctly. Just so you know because it's a great opportunity with a wide variety of apparatus and teachers from all over the world literally. And they cater for all levels.

2

 

Oh, brilliant, thank you! I haven't worked out yet where I'm going to live, nor is it certain we'll be going yet (husband is a medic). But I'm thinking Glasgow area. I worked for Glasgow Uni for six months last year, so I know they have a kick-ass gym, but wasn't sure about aerial stuff, as I wasn't into that when I was there. The place I found was called Aerial Edge, which is pretty close to the Uni, so if I wind up working there again, I would be able to go after work or something.

 

It seemed from my google search that there wasn't much aerial stuff going on in Glasgow/Edinburgh, at least not compared to the Midlands, which is where I am now. 

Link to post
23 hours ago, AceVixen said:

Well, how did my tiny one week challenge go? Well, I learnt that doing challenges that rely on other people are annoying. I wanted to meet with someone for networking purposes, and they stood me up twice! But... I randomly bumped into him in the street, so I guess that worked out ok. I managed to do hoop, one strength session, and go bouldering, even though my friend who was meant to be coming with me was injured. I didn't spend much time researching rings, except for looking at a couple of videos on false grip (which is like, hard, right?). Still, I'm counting this challenge a win. 

Haha, oh, relying on others is definitely a possible wrench in the system. I'd definitely still call it a win too, though! 

 

Link to post

Hiya again, I had some time to check out things and here are a few links for Edinburgh, not all have hoop - or not always, but it might get you started :)
Aerial Edge is good and next door, still you might like to check out other training spaces nearby, so just in case:
 

https://www.facebook.com/AllorNothingADT
https://www.facebook.com/paperdollmilitia

https://www.facebook.com/highjinksaerialarts
https://www.facebook.com/freedomofflightaerial
https://www.facebook.com/aerialhouse
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...