• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Barbs

Better late than never...right?

So I'm fairly new to NF...though if I didn't procrastinate so much I could've got started a lot sooner.  January Challenge is almost over, but I still want to throw mine in the pool.  These are all things I want to do long term anyway, so it won't matter that this will be continuing on through Feb Challenge too.

Keeping it nice and simple for first challenge (I initially was going to have this as a personal 'Hard Hat On!' month, then realized what I was aiming for matched challenges perfectly):

Goal 1:  Drink 3L of water per day

Nice and simple - I don't drink enough water.  Like I can go a whole day without any straight water except that found in my coffee/tea.  This goal is just to drink 5 x 600mL of plain water every day

Goal 2:  One home cooked meal every day

There's a mobile app in China called 'e le ma' which has made me less inclined to cook more and more the last few months (especially as weather has gotten colder making supermarket trips less and less pleasant (having to walk/bus there)).  It can provide any take away (and not just pizza, burgers etc, but literally any meal you can get in your city, you can order on this app and have it delivered right to your door, normally within less than half an hour).  So in an effort to get a little more control, a little more healthy and a little more money in my bank, I want to just have one home cooked meal every day (this is geared at lunch or dinner since if I do have breakfast (I usually follow 16/8 intermittent fasting), it's normally just a piece of toast with coffee).   Also for this one, leftovers count.  So if I make in bulk, I can tick it off so long as I make use of those leftovers ;)

Goal 3:  Do just one thing on my To-Do list every day

I often let not being able to do one thing (normally a big thing) stop me from doing anything.  So this one is just to get myself checking boxes.  It doesn't matter how big or small the task is, if it gets done, it's a win.  The aim is that the momentum of just doing one small thing a day will grow into either more little things or occasionally one big thing a day.

I haven't really put any workouts or nutrition (...unless you count drinking more water and eating healthier...my brain is weird) for this Challenge, but plan is to use this Challenge to start building good habits and then build on them in February Challenge.

Weekly Progress:

Week 1 (Jan 28 - Feb 3): O O O O O O O

Week 2 (Feb 4 - Feb 10): O O O O O O O

Week 3 (Feb 11 - Feb 17): O O O O O O O

Week 4 (Feb 18 - Feb 24): O O O O O O O

Colour Coding:

Blue is for 'hasn't happened yet', Green = Win, Red = Try harder tomorrow!

~ Barbs

So technically yesterday was my Day 01...I just didn't get around to posting the Challenge or the Day, so here's a quick recap I should have posted yesterday (I'm not planning to post one of these every day, just figured first few days and then whenever something interesting came up/update the weeklies):

Day 1

Drinking water is hard!  Seriously, if you're a regular water drinker, you have my respect!  I felt like I was drinking bottle after bottle all afternoon (flu for few days prior meant I had a much needed lazy morning).  It was also helped by the cheezy NF Coaster I created.  I mentioned in the Challenge details that I originally planned this as a 'Hard Hat On' month of my own before discovering Challenge fit better...anyway if I need to get something done, I usually have a cup of coffee and then get into it (usually before the coffee is done...so many wasted good cups of coffee).  Given my current set of goals, I thought that probably needed to change, so decided to make my own NF Hard Hat with my son's new bead thingees.  Even before the logo was done, I started thinking the hard hat idea would look a bit naff, so it became my water coaster - to keep me motivated into drinking that water. And as I kept making it, my imagination imbued him with a snarky, old veteran of a personality to keep me going ('Oh, I'm sorry your life is sooo hard having to drink one little bottle of water while I'm just lying here with a few thousand times my weight on top of me.  Please, take your time to drink the weight off my back').  Seriously, he's my perfect drinking water coach...just don't tell him I said that.

IMG_20180129_171743.thumb.jpg.366d4360240ce88f9ff0badca5c726d7.jpg

My first home cooked meal since I moved in here end of last month...though my 'To-Do' item may explain why I was avoiding it.  It may not look pretty, but it was super tasty and fairly healthy AND it has a panda!...if you squint.  Bonus:  I made enough for not one, but three meals, meaning I can definitely tick this one off tomorrow :adoration:

IMG_20180128_143432.thumb.jpg.c9dc88b87170bde0ba1a383b0d87fd38.jpg

Somewhere between the coaster making and home cooked meal making, I had a couple of coffees and finally did a massive overhaul (and much needed) clean of my 'kitchen' (I live in a one bedroom apartment cross studio type place).  The before and afters below:

IMG_20180128_114312.thumb.jpg.160e12f9e2a7d9a6943c24b93eba48cd.jpgIMG_20180128_211950.thumb.jpg.0049b2942beadab758cfe73adff2ec51.jpg

If you look closely on the after pic you can see my newly minted NF Coaster under my water bottle...oh and those evil plastic shelves under the desks have a whole story to themselves that I may or may not post later.  Gruff old voice was telling me 'Don't expect me to pose all pretty while I'm having to stare at that mess of a desk'...which was just the inspiration I needed to do the overhaul on my computer desk too:
IMG_20180128_212000.thumb.jpg.c62473e9fe8a0b40a1c1b9a780b09f7a.jpgIMG_20180128_230732.thumb.jpg.8387b5f10ce216c22d50de18d4d05f5e.jpg

It can barely be called a computer desk before the transformation.  There's still a ton of paperwork to be sorted, and massive bag of rubbish to take out, but that's okay cos I have a sparkly new computer desk with rainbow keyboard to boot :adoration:

~ Barbs

Day 1

Drinking water is still hard...but easier than it was yesterday.  This is probably cos I could spread the water over a lot more hours, so rather than trying to guzzle down the last 1.8L in 3 hours, today I have 3 hours to drink the last bottle (600mL).  WIN!

As predicted, today was a leftovers day.  I'd kind of hoped to only use one of the 3, but apparently my son liked it enough to start demanding it for an early dinner, killing all need to cook today, but meaning I will definitely have to cook again tomorrow.

Last night after all the cleaning, part of me really wanted to finish off the last couple areas of the place...but as I only got to sleep at about 2am (thanks to all those coffees), I wasn't too keen on anything too active earlier on today.  Instead, I crossed off all my NF To-Do items - I created my Battle Log, created this Challenge, signed up for MyFitnessPal to log meals, signed up for FitBit (mostly cos I wanted a placeholder for my NF Signature), and created what I think is fairly pretty signature, using a merge of three or four other users ones that I thought looked good (hope they don't mind my stealing ideas).

All in all, a good follow on from Day 1...plus I only started the kitchen around this time last night...so maybe the lounge might still get done tonight...

~ Barbs

• Like 1

Missed this post on Monday.  Thanks again :D  Since it's first challenge, I definitely want to be able to win it so I'm keen for the next one.

On 1/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, Enforcer25 said:

That meal you made looks tasty.

I feel like messy tasty meals are more my specialty than pretty ones :lol:

Ugh today is frustrating me...not in a super demotivating or demoralizing way, more so just a damn it Barbs hurry up and get the job done.  I'd made home cooked meal and crossed off half a dozen things off my to-do list before 10am...and yet I'm still only 2.5 (looks over at coaster and bottle...tugs another big slug of water) 2.75 bottles through my 5 bottles of water for the day.  I seriously wanna kick past-me's butt for not drinking more earlier, cos it's not even like I can hoon through the drinking water the same way I could with say a to-do list item...mostly I'm writing this to keep myself going and HOPEFULLY within the next couple hours I'll still be able to turn today's circle to green to keep the green chain going...

Update:  It's done :D  Only took an hour and a half, but got there.  I totally used same evil trick I use with my son with bribery - "Okay, finish this bottle and you can have a nice cup of tea (finish bottle)  Oh, you took so long to finish it, that now it's time to wash the dishes first, then have another bottle, then you can have the tea (grumble grumble, wash dishes, drink another bottle...and then really enjoyed my tea)"  (Also, to be fair, if I'm not rushing him along, my son can take an hour to eat a meal, so normally I feel kinda justified telling him it's now time for X before he can have Y).

Edited by Barbs
Update that it's DONE :D
  • Like 1