On 2/23/2018 at 7:26 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I was born and raised in the US but have lived most of my adult life in Asia, the last 14 years of which have been in Beijing (2 years in Hong Kong and 4 in Japan).    I married a local girl from here and expect to be here many years to come.  

They finally put a stop coal furnaces in Zhangjiakou (where the winter olympics will be) which was a primary driver of pollution in Beijing. This winter has been exceptionally nice in terms of good air days :)

I wanted to make sure what I was saying was accurate so I actually checked with my inlaws before responding to get their take, because they are the people in question who have a very high regard for Mao. They are both lifelong party members and experienced both he good and the bad of Mao's leadership (they both were sent to work on communal farms during the Cultural Revolution). The second part of what I posted was pretty much their responses.

Wow, congratulations on the lifestyle and marriage. My wife and I were watching the closing for the Winter Olympics and I mentioned we should go to the Summer Olympics in Japan in two years but she said she would rather go to the Winter Olympics in China in 4 years. If we are both still on Nerd Fitness then I may have to look you up.

Thank you for going out of your way to ask the in-laws about Mao and China’s history. That was above and beyond the call of duty but I seem to find that a lot on Nerd Fitness.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

First, I just read a Facebook post about one of my idols, Kevin Smith, having a massive heart attack right after he finished one of his shows. He’s only three years older than me (he’s 47) and it’s a real eye opener for me. He survived and is posting on social media already, but wow that’s early.

Saturday I had a horrible day. Was cold and wet outside so stayed inside with the Cubs and went nearly crazy. And to top of a bad day I only got 1k steps in for the day.

Sunday was much much better. It started off crappy with Cub1 saying that Cub2 had hidden his retainer case and that set me on edge and made me think “Oh no, it’s gonna be another shitty day” but eventually found it hidden behind one of the chairs. I wasn’t going to be defeated so early in the day so I made sure I made the breakfast that I had planned for the day (more on that later). Nice day and took the Cubs to the local park to walk around and then did some shopping for extra steps. Then when the wife came home I went for a walk in the dark and added another mile or two to my total for the day. By midnight I had 11k steps in. And I also did yoga before I came into work.

Bearlee is ... a Cook!

So I mentioned that I made breakfast Sunday. It didn’t start as anything special, bacon and eggs, but thought I want to turn this day around, so I bumped up the breakfast a little. So first I experimented with making omelets. The night before I was watching DDP make omelets and saw what I’ve been doing wrong in the past of using too high of a heat. I cranked the heat to low and even took the pan off the stove to lower the temperature even more. Not perfect omelets but I thought I did fairly well.

And since I was on a breakfast kick I thought I would make some pancakes. I bought a bag of banana hazelnut protein pancake mix last week and thought now would be a good time to try it. Silly as it might sound I’ve never made pancakes before and again they weren’t perfect but I thought I did a decent job. They were kind of dark but don’t know if that is from the batter mix or because I cooked the pancakes in the same pan after the eggs. And the second pancake was actually burnt a little on the outside but raw in the middle but the carry over cooking must have finished cooking it because by the time I got around to eating them they were cooked through.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

So new week and new tasks. My first workout was scheduled for Sunday which I don’t like because I like the Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule better. Plus I rarely know what my Sunday schedule will be and if I’ll be able to find time to do yoga. But after the Cubs went to bed and before I went to work I was able to get the workout in.

Again this week I have all four varieties of sessions. Since I worked out Sunday I was suppose to have Monday and Tuesday off but thought maybe this week I could get all eight varieties of workouts in, unlike last week due to change in schedule. So Sunday I did Fat Burner 2.0 and Monday I did Fat Burner 1.0. Next scheduled workout is Below the Belt 2.0 on Wednesday, so I may try to get Below the Belt 1.0 in on Tuesday.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

So Saturday was a bust and Sunday was a boom (boon?). Monday however is the start of the company walking challenge. So over the next 28 days I’m suppose to get 10k steps in for 20 of those days. Perhaps I don’t even need 10k, I looked on the web page and saw they have points for 6k-8k (3pts), 8k-10k (4pts), and 10k+ (5pts). Not really sure what the points are for but I’ll be shooting for the 10k just to be sure. And to assure that I get that I’m going to try to get at least 7k in before I leave work each day for the next month. Today, Feb 26th, I already have nearly 5k steps and 20 flight of stairs. Should easily be able to get another 2k to 3k in before end of shift.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

1 hour ago, Bearlee said:

If we are both still on Nerd Fitness then I may have to look you up.

Yeah, for sure. Would be great to meet up if you make ot out this way ;)

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Alright, two days between posts, good for me. I’m having a complete 180 from last week. Last week everything felt out of control and I couldn’t do what I wanted. This week I’m killing it. Putting up some serious steps and doing yoga like crazy, more on this stuff later. Tuesday was our Packs Blue and Gold and Cub1 advanced up to Wolf. And fairly proud of myself also because I wore my scout shirt and the buttons around my belly didn’t seem like they wanted to burst off my shirt and become deadly projectiles (though there was just a smidge of stretch when I sat down).

I’m also less upset today than yesterday when I thought I wasn’t losing any weight. Went to go update MyFitnessPal log and saw that I have actually lost 4 pounds since last month. Not spectacular but better than I thought and actually reasonable. And now looking at the logs I’ve lost 9 pounds since the beginning of the year, so exactly one pound per week. The part that does confuse me though is that I’ve been logging my food through MFP for three weeks and I’m pretty consistently around 2000-2500 cal, MFP says I should be eating 3500 to lose two pounds a week. Since I’m an extra 1500 lower each day shouldn’t I be losing an extra two pounds every other day or so?

Bearlee is ... a Walker!!!

So the company walking challenge started Monday and I’m killing it so far. So Sunday thru Tuesday were respectively 11k, 12k, and 13k steps in. So does that mean I have to get 14k in today? Not only steps but I’ve gotten in 17, 35, and 50 flights of stairs on those same days.

Walking goal for the year is to pass the company average which with the bad beginning to the year I’m a ways behind. So currently I’m at 382k and the company average is 452k with the recommended goal at 590k (longer term goal I’m look to catch up and surpass). Of course these are moving targets since the company average increases by about 8k a day and the recommended is a constant 10k a day. Week days are no problem, it’s the weekends that kill me (like getting only 1k in last Saturday). The weather should hopefully be getting better soon which means I could potentially go walking outside more.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

I’ve been killing it with the yoga this week. It’s Wednesday and I’ve already gotten four of my yoga sessions in with a goal of eight. Friday is scheduled Energy 2.0 and Red Hot Core 2.0, leaving Thursday and Saturday to get in Below the Belt 1.0 and Red Hot Core 1.0.

I was a little upset that I missed my scheduled time for Yoga Tuesday but made up for it by doing Energy 1.0 after I picked Cub1 from school and before I picked Cub2 up from daycare. I got quite the thrill of keeping the promise to myself of trying to get all eight sessions in this week.

Bearlee is ... a Reader!

So I’m ten minutes from finishing listening to Artemis from Andy Weir (the guy that wrote The Martian). I really enjoyed the book but if you read it don’t expect anything like The Martian. Don’t really know how to describe it without ruining it other than the details about how moon life might look seems pretty darn legit.

I’m also a third of the way through The Three Body Problem that TML suggested. I really enjoy it on the “I know most of these Chinese events and people they are talking about”. And the story so far is really mind bending. What if physics didn’t really work the way we think it works. Looking forward to getting through the rest of the book.

Bearlee is ... an Amateur Astronomer!

Since it’s the last day of the month I thought I would throw out an interesting factoid. There is no full moon for the month of February but there will be two full moons in March making both January and March of this year blue moon months. I haven’t heard what the probability of that happening is but one blue moon a year is common (about once a year) but don’t think I’ve ever heard of two blue moons in a year.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

1 hour ago, Bearlee said:

Since it’s the last day of the month I thought I would throw out an interesting factoid. There is no full moon for the month of February but there will be two full moons in March making both January and March of this year blue moon months. I haven’t heard what the probability of that happening is but one blue moon a year is common (about once a year) but don’t think I’ve ever heard of two blue moons in a year.

That is really interesting, thanks for sharing it. Also way to go on killing it this week :)

• Like 1

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That is really interesting, thanks for sharing it. Also way to go on killing it this week :)

I got a little more interested and actually looked up the term for a month without a full moon and it’s named a black moon. The last one was in 1999 and can only occur in February due to the shorter days of that month. And also when that happens the preceding Dec or Jan and following Mar or Apr must have a blue moon, so now I know when a year can have two blue moons.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

Just getting right into it since I’m short on time. Wednesday I ended up with 12k steps. And today (Thursday) I’m off to a good start with 5.5k which I should have up to 7k or 8k by bed time.

On an interesting side note, when I’ve been out walking with the Cubs, I’ve noticed that Cub1 has been running around. At the park he was doing it so he could get to a bench and wait for me to catch up but still he running. Then today when we were grocery shopping he just kept jogging around the store and making Cub2 giggle. He even did something of a sprint down and back an aisle. It was great to see him with a big smile while he was doing it. Of course my mind jumps to “Maybe I should get him into track since he won’t play a team sport and he seems to be having fun running” but think I’ll just let him have fun without making it regimented. Plus I think he is doing this because his school is doing a fund raiser by running laps, but still he seems enthusiastic.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

First off, something must be off with Sloth if he hasn’t picked up the softball that is Yogi Bear. Must heckle him more to get his mojo back.

Completed Below the Belt 1.0 just now. And I didn’t read my schedule quite right for the week because instead of Energy and RHC tomorrow I’m scheduled for Energy 2.0 and Fat Burner 2.0. So if I want to hit all 8 sessions this week I will have to find someplace to stick in the missing RHC 2.0. So the plan is to do RHC 2.0 today after I pick up Cub1 from school. Then do Fat Burner 2.0 tomorrow during my normal time and Energy 2.0 after picking up Cub1. Then Saturday finishing up the week with RHC 1.0 for a total of 9 yoga sessions for the week.

Bearlee is ... a Reader!

Finished up Artemis and really liked it. Have’t read any of The Three Body Problem today but that takes lower priority over the things above. Started new audio book Love, Loss, and What We Ate from Padma Lakshmi (of Top Chef fame). Got the book around Christmas when it was on sale for $4 plus I just really like her. She always looks stunning but doesn’t seem to come of pretentious and I always like her culinary insights where she seems to know what she’s talking about and I used to like her cooking show even before she got on Top Chef. Though just listening to the first few chapters my admiration is wavering a little bit as she seems to be coming off as the poor little rich girl talking about her modeling career, writing career, TV hosting career, world travels, and being married to a literary giant (Salaman Rushdi) but still feeling unfullfilled. Plus having an affair with a married man (Salaman) also rubs some of the gloss off.

Been writing too long. I’ll see you again soon.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Posts three days in a row, think that may be a record for me. BIL is in town and Thursday evening went to eat with him and Cubs at a local burger joint. Had a PB&E burger (Peanut Butter, Bacon, and Egg). Was good but could have used a little more PB. He’s still in town until this evening and doesn’t have training class for work, so I may hit him up to see if he wants to go to Top Golf this morning (Top Golf is a high tech driving range).

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Just finished my second Fat Burner 2.0 of the week, making it seven sessions of yoga for the week so far. Today after picking Cub1 up from school I’ll do Energy 2.0. Then I just need 15-20 minutes Saturday to do Red Hot Core 1.0 to complete the cycle of all eight routines plus one duplicate for a total of nine workouts.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

Thursday got another 12k steps in. I’m averaging 12k since the beginning of the week. And I have 4/28 tokens for my companies walking challenge. Of course the real challenge will be the weekend. If I can only get 6k steps in that will still earn me the lowest token but like I said before I have no idea what the point system does. Today I already have 5k steps and 20 flight of stairs and should have almost 8k by the time I get home.

Bearlee is ... a Reader!

I’ve stopped the Padme Lakshmi book for now. I finally loaded the audio book A Closed and Common Orbit (really don’t like that name) by Becky Chambers and is the sequel to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. So far I’m a little confused because it’s been I while since I read the previous book and this book doesn’t have the main characters from the main book in it (so far). The carry over character is the AI that is now in an illegal humanoid body trying to cope with the restrictions of what that entails (no multiple cameras or voice boxes etc.). I’m still enjoying the book so far but will be disappointed it the characters from the other book don’t make some sort of significant appearance.

Bearlee is ... a Cook!

I’ve been falling behind on this task. I’ll have to get more on point and figure out what to do with this goal.

• Like 4

Viking Adventurer

Don’t know why but Saturday I woke in in a fowl funk. Felt defeated for some reason even though this has been my best week in a long time. Compounded the problem with going out and getting junk food for breakfast that put me easily over 1000 cal just for breakfast and 3500+ for the day (which oddly is near where my goal cal should be for the day according to MFP). Did do a couple of things that got me in a better mood but not by much.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

So I was worried that since it’s the weekend I wouldn’t get much walking in and by midday my fears were coming true with only 600 steps in. So to take charge a little bit I took advantage of the beautiful weather and packed up the Cubs and went to the park I went to when I was recovering from surgery. Cub2 is always game to go anywhere and told Cub1 we were only going to walk to the dam. By the time we left the park I was up to 5.5k steps. Then later a little shopping to bump the count up to mid 7k and in the very last minutes of the day squeaked out another 200 steps to barely push me over 8k. Major improvement over last Saturday’s 1k. And that also earned me the middle token for my company competition.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Toward the end of the day after Cub2 and wife went to bed, I did Red Hot Core 1.0 to complete the cycle of all eight routines and a total of nine yoga sessions for the week. I was hoping to be more excited about the accomplishment but just felt meh. Think I’m feeling a lack of development in strength (especially the upper body) and keep thinking these routines should be easier than they are. I do think I’m developing okay in some areas of flexibility but that is hard to judge.

That’s it for now. Just thought I would throw out the odd weekend post to document my recent “accomplishments” in order to hopefully wake up in a better mood tomorrow.

Viking Adventurer

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

So Sunday I didn’t exactly kill it walking wise but I did get 6k in which is good enough to get me a token for the company campaign. Monday, however, I went above and beyond and racked up 15k steps. And Tuesday so far I’ve gotten in 6k steps and should have 8k+ by the time I go to bed. And just for the heck of it I went and checked the company leaderboard to see where I ranked and Monday I was 78th out of 942 people, so in the top 10% of the company. That is also why I racked up 6k steps so early so I could move up the leaderboard while people were still sleeping. I got the same points as the 3rd place people but I’m ranked 50th, perhaps because I’ve had an extra day.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Monday I did Below the Belt 2.0 and was pleased with how I did. I think the day off on Sunday helped me recover and I felt strong(ish) while going through the workout. And while I was watching the Sunday explanation for the week I learned there is a routine called Strength Builder which I may try to sneak in this week. SB is ranked either hard (for the 1.0) or intermediate (for the 2.0) but I’m sure either one I do I’ll have to do massive modifications. But sometimes it’s nice to have a change in the routine and a little challenge.

Bearlee is ... a Reader!

I’m halfway through The Three Body Problem and my mind is starting to get strained in a good way. Really liking the book and I’m looking forward to where it’s going.

I’m also a third of the way through listening to A Closed and Common Orbit and I’m still on the fence of what I think about this book. I came in expecting more from the characters from the previous book but only the AI and the modder (whom was a very minor character in the previous book) are featured. If I wasn’t hung up on who’s not there it might actually be a good book exploring the life of a ship AI trying to cope with the limits of living in a humanoid body. And the modder also has a prominent story line about being an artificial life (organic child labor) that escaped the sweat shop and how she came to be in the present. Both stories are okay but I really miss Kizzy from the first book.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Two miles walked, 10 flights of stairs climbed, and a 33 minute yoga session done all before 2AM. I feel like that old Army recruiting commercial that said we do more before 6AM than most people do all day, except for me it’s I do more before 2AM than I used to do all day.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

So barely (or should I say Bearlee, ha!) got my 10k steps in for Tuesday. It was cold and windy today so I didn’t walk to Cub1’s school to pick him up and that cut into my step count. Off to a good start today with 4K and 10 flight of stairs in. Might be cold tomorrow to so I’ll try to get a few extra steps in this morning to compensate.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Second session of the week completed, Fat Burner 2.0. Friday will be a new challenge of Energy and Red Hot Core on the same day. Still trying to decide if I’m going to do them back to back or break them up over the day.

So I’m very backed up on stuff I want to read but I’ve been delving into the astronomy books TML suggested and I’m glad that I have. This time of year is great for a budding astronomer to learn star positions. Mainly because the Orion constellation is visible this time of year and it’s the sign post that points to so many things. For example when I talked about Canis Major a few posts ago the best way to find that is to follow Orion’s Belt to the brightest star and that star forms the shoulder of the Canis Major and that star also happens to be Sirius the brightest star in the sky (Polaris or the Northern Star is the 14th brightest). And the other constellation that is a huge help and easy to find is the Big Dipper. Not only does the end of the “ladle” point to the North Star but you can almost line up any other stars in the Big Dipper to get a guide to other constellations. It’s all quite interesting.

Bearlee is ... a Runner?!

I’m very hesitant to even mention this but this is a very non-judgemental group. I’ve been toying with the idea of taking up running/jogging/slow shuffeling. I bought a book by Jeff Galloway that explains his run/walk/run method and I’m thinking about dabbling in it a little. Tonight I actually did my first session but took it very lightly with a 5 min warmup, then a 2 minute walk with 10 second walking repeated 5 times, and finished with a 5 minuted cool down walk. Did this by downloading an app that dings at me when I’m suppose to change speeds and I can listen to my audio books or Podcasts while doing so.

However in the back of my brain (and the front to be honest) there is the thought that you’re too fat to do this and no good can come from it. But I’ve been walking consistently for three months now with no ill effects and thought this might be a nice transition. I don’t see myself ever becoming a “real” runner but it would be nice to get to the point where I can walk 1 min and jog 30 sec to 1 min. And I would just like to get my time down. The above routine takes 20 minutes and 50 seconds and I only got 1.1 miles. I would be ecstatic if someday I could get nearly 2 miles in the same amount of time.

I’ve also got a wild notion in the back of my head (it’s getting crowded back there) that I may like to attempt a 5k. Started thinking about this when I heard that there is a Scout Strong 5k/10k going on June 23rd. I have no idea if 15 weeks is enough to train for something like that. For now I’ll give the program a try for the rest of the month and see how things are going from there.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

Running wise, do what's not too uncomfortable. Don't push your body too far too fast. Drop back to walking as often and as long as needed.

Orion is my best bud. I have always looked for him when I got home from work. Sadly with all the trees and lights around here, I don't see as much sky as I used to and everything's in a different place (in reference to the driveway, anyway). Orion's usually dropping to the horizon by the time I get home now and hard to see. I can usually find the seven sisters and the Big Dipper.

Good work on the exercise. Keep it up.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Emma said:

Running wise, do what's not too uncomfortable. Don't push your body too far too fast. Drop back to walking as often and as long as needed.

Orion is my best bud. I have always looked for him when I got home from work. Sadly with all the trees and lights around here, I don't see as much sky as I used to and everything's in a different place (in reference to the driveway, anyway). Orion's usually dropping to the horizon by the time I get home now and hard to see. I can usually find the seven sisters and the Big Dipper.

Good work on the exercise. Keep it up.

Thanks for the comment. Your voice is one of the voices of reason I hear when I think about running. All of your cautionary tales of big people trying to do things they shouldn’t. But thanks for the encouragement.

I used Orion again tonight to find a new constellation. If you connect his right foot and left shoulder and extend that line out you hit a cluster of stars shaped in the pattern of home plate from baseball. Not sure what the name is but I remember those five stars are a constellation. And I’m also having issues with light pollution and just general objects getting in the way, lately a lot of clouds. But there is a lot of things on the South horizon and I have a hill and trees in that direction that obscure my view.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

Did well Wednesday with a total of 12k steps. Off to a good start today with 6k already.

Last night I found Jupiter! Cloudy night and I could only see one bright object in the sky other than the moon so pulled out my phone and used Sky View and found out it was Jupiter. So if anybody is out late at night, look for the brightest object in the sky in the vicinity of the moon and that’s Jupiter.

And as I mentioned above I found a new constellation for me by connecting the dots from Orion. Which according to the star chart I’m looking at is Auriga which I’ve never heard of before.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

16 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Last night I found Jupiter! Cloudy night and I could only see one bright object in the sky other than the moon so pulled out my phone and used Sky View and found out it was Jupiter. So if anybody is out late at night, look for the brightest object in the sky in the vicinity of the moon and that’s Jupiter.

This is new to me.  I (having never done more than what was required for an astronomy merit badge decades ago) thought that the only planets visible to the naked eye were Mars & Venus.  There are usually not more than a few stars (planets?) visible in the sky here, what with being in the middle of a big city and all.  Now I want to do some research and find out what those stars (planets?) are.

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is new to me.  I (having never done more than what was required for an astronomy merit badge decades ago) thought that the only planets visible to the naked eye were Mars & Venus.  There are usually not more than a few stars (planets?) visible in the sky here, what with being in the middle of a big city and all.  Now I want to do some research and find out what those stars (planets?) are.

Yes I was quite shocked when I learned I was looking at Jupiter. It was just so bright. And from what I’ve been hearing on my podcasts is that I should be able to see Venus and Mercury in the early evening sky low to the West and then Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars in the middle of the night. Though there is a lot of light pollution here also and also a lot of cloud cover. Even with the light pollution it’s surprising some of the stars I can make out like Orion and the Big Dipper but it has to be a really clear night to make out more than the very brightest stars. Saying that though I can’t believe how excited I get when I do make out a new star formation or see a planet.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

So I finished both Energy 2.0 and Red Hot Core 2.0 together and completed my 10th week of the program and only have three left before I move up to Intermediate 1.0. I was actually quite surprised at how easy Energy was considering how much difficulty I was having at the beginning of the program. RHC of course knocked me back into my place with a “you have a long way to go welp” workout. But I’m also proud of the workouts I’ve done. I looked back and I only missed one workout in the past ten weeks but made it up the following day. Plus I’ve added a lot of unscheduled workouts which have helped me along I think.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

Got 10k steps in Thursday. So I’m 9/9 on weekdays for the company contest getting 10k+ steps in and 2/2 of getting at least 6k+ steps in on the weekend for a total of 11/20 tokens achieved so far. Today Cub1 has no school and will be staying home with me, so this might be my first real challenge to see if I can get 10k steps in.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

On 3/2/2018 at 4:51 AM, Bearlee said:

I finally loaded the audio book A Closed and Common Orbit (really don’t like that name) by Becky Chambers and is the sequel to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. So far I’m a little confused because it’s been I while since I read the previous book and this book doesn’t have the main characters from the main book in it (so far). The carry over character is the AI that is now in an illegal humanoid body trying to cope with the restrictions of what that entails (no multiple cameras or voice boxes etc.). I’m still enjoying the book so far but will be disappointed it the characters from the other book don’t make some sort of significant appearance.

This is a thing I did not know. Interesting given that it seemed so character driven

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

11 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

This is a thing I did not know. Interesting given that it seemed so character driven

Still character driven but the only characters focused on are the former ship AI Lovelace (Lovey) and the Modder that helped put the AI in an illegal artificial body. But the story looks at the life of what it’s like for an AI to now be human and what the Modder’s early life was like because she was an artificial life made to work in the factories. So it’s actually turning out to be an interesting study in humanities from those points. I just had to get over the disappointment in the first fourth of the book knowing none of the previous characters were coming back.

Viking Adventurer

Hectic day for me so far. Walked into work with a “crisis” going on that I had to fix. Not complicated but took up three hours of my time becuase it was in a remote location. Was feeling sorry for myself but pulled on my big boy pants and said F it I’m not letting this stop me. After the smack I’ve talked to Sloth I better back it up with some action. So walked 4K steps so far and did a 40 minute BTB 2.0 yoga session. Then will get another 2k+ steps in before I go home.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

KILLED IT this weekend. Got just a little over 12k Saturday and just under 12k on Sunday for an average of 12k each weekend day. Normally I get about 2k on these days so a major step up (ha!) from my norm. On my work challenge I’ve done 14/14 possible days with 14/20 to reach my goal my March 25th. So only need to get 6 more days out of the next 14 to reach the company’s goal of 20 days of walking. But I’m going for the full 28.

The weekend walks were not without trouble though. Saturday woke up early to go to the park to walk only to find it closed. Almost didn’t do anything but said F It and I walked around my neighborhood for 4k steps. Then walked around after dark in my neighborhood again to complete the 10k and reach the 12k. Forgot Saturday night was day light savings and got a hour less of sleep than I was planning. Woke up fairly early and walked around my local park twice for 5k steps. I was only at 7k steps by 9PM so I walked around my neighborhood to get my 10k before work.

Now that was hard enough but the thing that was harder for me was my wife giving flack for leaving her with the kids. Now this is also the person that wants me to work out 8-10 hours a day like they do on the Biggest Loser but if she has issues with me being gone for 30-60 minutes, I throw up my hands and wonder what do you want me to do?

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Got my yoga session in Monday but like I said I wasn’t feeling it but I did it even if it was half assed. Well most of it was good except I made a few modifications that maybe I didn’t need to do. But I’ve only missed one session in 10 weeks (which I made up the following day) and I want to keep my streak going.

Bearlee is ... a Reader!

Walked so much this weekend that I completed an entire audiobook titled Be Unstopplable by Alden Mills. A former Navey Seal that wrote a story explaining how to get ahead in life using the setting of a harbor and the people are born with one boat and depending on their decisions how their boats can be modified over the years to either become a might ocean liner or a lazy barg. A nice read and helpful guidance.

Bearlee is ... a Runner?!

Friday I did my second “running” session. I decreased recovery time by 10 seconds and increased running time by 2 seconds. For a total workout time of 20:10.

Bearlee is ... a Cook!

Sunday the wife stayed home from work, which I didn’t know otherwise I wouldn’t have woken up so early to go walking. But I had stuff to make the family breakfast so impressed the wife with an omelette filled with leftover beef stir fry, banana hazelnut protein pancakes, and turkey bacon. Really filling for not too many calories. Or should I say less than what I normally eat for a meal.

I did a lot of deep thinking over the weekend after having a discussion over on TML’s thread. I kind of had trouble sleeping because I was questioning my why and how. But this feeling of frustration is also what pushed me to harder this weekend. I still haven’t sorted out my thoughts about what exactly I am doing. Plus I’ve also been contemplating about possibly taking a daytime job that is open. Normally I wouldn’t even consider it but is an easy office job with set hours and no possibility of overtime. But I’ve been trying to figure out if I could make my life work on a daylight schedule or not. I would need a lot of help from the wife, but I don’t know if I would get it. I’m also thinking about taking a daylight job so I could go to a gym early in the morning before work (5AMish) but the places I would like to join don’t open until 6 or usually 7AM (other than the globos which don’t have the free weights I would want). Need to make a decision soon since bidding closes out in the next couple of days.

Confession time also. Got so stressed out over the weekend that when I went to the store to pick up some good food for me for the week I bought a 5 inch cubed fudge cake. Scarfed the whole thing down after saving the railroad. Don’t know what to say other than “Bleck”.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

2 hours ago, Bearlee said:

I did a lot of deep thinking over the weekend after having a discussion over on TML’s thread. I kind of had trouble sleeping because I was questioning my why and how. But this feeling of frustration is also what pushed me to harder this weekend. I still haven’t sorted out my thoughts about what exactly I am doing. Plus I’ve also been contemplating about possibly taking a daytime job that is open. Normally I wouldn’t even consider it but is an easy office job with set hours and no possibility of overtime. But I’ve been trying to figure out if I could make my life work on a daylight schedule or not. I would need a lot of help from the wife, but I don’t know if I would get it. I’m also thinking about taking a daylight job so I could go to a gym early in the morning before work (5AMish) but the places I would like to join don’t open until 6 or usually 7AM (other than the globos which don’t have the free weights I would want). Need to make a decision soon since bidding closes out in the next couple of days.

Confession time also. Got so stressed out over the weekend that when I went to the store to pick up some good food for me for the week I bought a 5 inch cubed fudge cake. Scarfed the whole thing down after saving the railroad. Don’t know what to say other than “Bleck”.

Well I feel crappy about this. Ignore my loud mouth. I have opinions on everythingand often exercise them in my log. That doesn't make them meaningful. 

I've never understood the schedule you have worked out between you and your wife but I know it works for you guys. I do think a daylight schedule would agree with you physically but I don't know what it will do to your family life. You've always put family over physical health aso I can understand why you'd have concerns here.

Unless you're required to take the job if offerred or it will harm your current postions, why not put in for it? If they say no, well "you never wanted it anyway". If they say yes then more thinking has to happen. If nothing else, seeing you reaching for a new position might make them think of "the night guy" more. 

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

18 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Well I feel crappy about this. Ignore my loud mouth. I have opinions on everythingand often exercise them in my log. That doesn't make them meaningful. 

I’m actually quite pleased with what you said. It made me pause and reflect which sometimes I forget to do. It made me go deep into understanding what my priorities are and what am I doing to get there. So don’t feel crappy and please keep opinioning away.

18 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I've never understood the schedule you have worked out between you and your wife but I know it works for you guys. I do think a daylight schedule would agree with you physically but I don't know what it will do to your family life. You've always put family over physical health aso I can understand why you'd have concerns here.

Unless you're required to take the job if offerred or it will harm your current postions, why not put in for it? If they say no, well "you never wanted it anyway". If they say yes then more thinking has to happen. If nothing else, seeing you reaching for a new position might make them think of "the night guy" more. 

My schedule is not ideal with wife, it’s I do everything and she watches the kids while they sleep. I suppose if you took the gender roles of the 50’s and flopped them then added a full time job into the mix you might get an idea of our arrangement.

I sure I could have the job if I wanted it since it’s a union based seniority job and they’re few people around with more seniority than me. My two hesitations are time (how to get kids to and from school and do things during the day like fixing cars and doctors appointments) and the actual job (shuffeling papers for the FCC for 16 years). Talked with BIL and he said it was the easiest job in our department aside from mine. And I worry that once I leave this position that they will abolish it and I would have no where to come back to if I didn’t like the job.

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve never understood how you survive your schedule, much less be able to work out and take care of the kids. If you want it, I hope you get it.

It’s only because of my job I’m able to do yoga and walk. A lot of down time that would be hard to give up. And thanks for the thought.

Viking Adventurer