First, ate like an A-hole all day Monday. Think I got all that out of my system now though.

Bearlee is a Runner?!

I’ll pick up where I left off yesterday. After I posted I decided I might as well my “run” in so did the same routine that I did Friday. I should have modified it but didn’t want to spend the minute it would take to arrange the settings.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

Got 11k steps in Monday. Tuesday I got into a pissed off mood and instead of my normal 15-20 laps around the shop I did 30 laps which includes walking 3.1 miles and walking up 30 flight of stairs. So as of 2AM I have 6.5k of steps in also. Mainly did because there is no yoga or running today and it was helping to clear my head. Plus it just feels nice to push a little more from time to time.

Bearlee is ... an Amateur Astronomer!

Also forgot to mention on one of my weekend late night walks that I think I found the Taurus constellation. Did so by using the tip star from the Auriga constellation (that I found earlier in the week by following Orion’s Belt) and saw a V shaped constellation. So hopefully it’s a bull’s head I’m looking at.

And the books I’ve been reading about astronomy seem to be geared toward pushing me into get a telescope but I just don’t see that happening anytime in the near future. However thanks to some of the podcasts I listen to I’ve come across the idea of remote telescopes where I can log into a remote telescope and either control it or just observe what someone else is looking at. I’ll have to do some more research into this. Plus there is also a plethora of other sources I can get images from like Juno, New Horizon, Cassini (even though dead now still a lot of images), and of course Hubble.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

Wow, I had to scroll through 4 pages to find my post from yesterday. Sloth, WhiteGhost, TML, And Tank are blowing up the boards.

First, Ha!, after I wrote my post yesterday I went to the office building where the new job would be if I wanted it. I wanted to talk to the person that would be my foreman to see what the job entailed. While I was wondering around the building in the dark trying to find his office I almost had a panic attack while looking at all those cubicles and manager offices. When I went to college I didn’t know what I wanted to do but the two things I knew I didn’t want to do was work in a cubicle and wear a tie. While the new job might actually have an office (don’t know never found the guys office) and probably wouldn’t have to wear a tie, it would still be too close to those things. Plus I’d be in very close proximity to my current manager and would probably have to interact with him more than I would want so another strike against the job. Plus after writing all the things I do while on this job I almost already had my mind made up that I wouldn’t take that job.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

Got one of my best before bed number of steps in with 9.5k. So finished up Tuesday with 12.5k. Today, so far, I’ve gotten in a little over 5k and 10 flight of stairs. Going to try to add at least another 2k and another 10 flight of stairs before heading home.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Got my scheduled yoga session in, Energy 2.0. That was good but I wanted to add a Red Hot Core but I fiddled-diddled too much and didn’t have time. I think I might try after I wake up.

Bearlee is ... a Runner?!

So finally made adjustments to my timer. Decreased the recovery time by 10 seconds and added 3 seconds to running time and added a 6th set for a total of 21:30. In which time I was able to cover 1.11 miles. Just realized last week that my FitBit can keep track of my runs if I happen to remember to start my watch. But according to my FitBit I’ve improved from a 19:55 mile pace last Friday to a 19:32 pace on Wednesday.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

Horrible day Thursday. I paying for pushing myself too much over the weekend, I was walking outside in freezing temperatures and caught a cold which I’m managing fairly well, but Cub2 is sick now and running a high temp and not eating or drinking. Wife took him to daycare Wednesday knowing he was sick and I got a call from school saying he was running a temperature and please pick him up. So woke up early Wednesday and no nap before work because getting medicine for Cub. Thursday took Cub1 to dentist so went to sleep late and woke up early so wife could go to work (I got 3 hours sleep). Thankfully Cub2 took a nap and I slept with him for 2-3 hours. Cub2 still running a fever so I don’t know what my sleep will be like Friday. Wife will say “You don’t work tonight so you can sleep tonight” even though I only got three hours sleep the day before and she wants me to stay awake for 20 hours. Bleck.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

So due to struggling to get sleep I had a bad day of walking on Wednesday. Squeaked out 6k at the last minute to qualify for a token for my work campaign but less than the 10k that I wanted. Friday I’m off to a fairly good start and will hopefully be around 7k before I go home.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Was in a bad mood from the lack of exercise Wednesday so made sure the first thing I got accomplished today was yoga to keep the streak going. So Friday I finished up the week with Fat Burner 2.0 and Red Hot Core 2.0 back to back. FB was not too bad and RHC sucked less than normal but still sucked. So I’ve completed my 11th week with two more to go.

Also wanted to get my next “running” session in and just completed that before I started writing this. Lowered the recovery time by 10 seconds (to 1:30) and increased the run time by 2 seconds (to 17 sec) and added another set for a total of seven sets. With 5 minute warmup and cool down to total session time was 22:30 minutes. Sadly I forgot to start my FitBit to track my run until after the warmup and first set so I only recorded 6 sets and the cool down. It did say that my estimated mile was 18:46 which is down from 19:32 two days ago.

I’ve been disappointed that I’m only able to see about the same 30-40 stars, Jupiter, and the moon at night. On clear nights I can make Orion, Sirius, Arigus, the Big Dipper, and the North Star (but none of the rest of the Little Dipper). Plus a few other brightest stars but not enough to make out other constellations (other than Taurus one night). I’m not too disheartened because there is still much I can learn and read about but would be nice to see some more stars out at night.

I was listening to one of my astronomy Podcasts and they mentioned a website ran the two people they were hosting called Photographing Space. While I don’t have plans in the near future to buy equipment it is nice to learn about astrophotography because that is something I would like to try one day. Specifically the Solar eclipse on April 8th of 2024. So I want to keep that in the back of my head to gradually work up to that and have the skills and equipment by then.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Friday took Cub2 to doctor to make sure things were too bad. Found out he has something called Croup which I’ve never heard of before but is an upper respiratory infection. We did have his ears checked out also since he’s had so much trouble with ear infections this year and thankfully all the fluid is out of his ears and they look good.

Saturday was a trying day. Cub2 was crying all day and we couldn’t figure out why. Doctor said his canine teeth were coming in so tried putting Orajel on those teeth with no help. Decided later to try his two lower teeth but made the mistake of letting him drink right away which probably washed away the medicine. Tried the lower teeth again later (with no water this time) and he really started to perk up.

Since he was feeling better Sunday I decided to take the Cubs shopping. First to the library to pick up some audio books, explained later. Then headed out to buy new pants because mine are falling apart. I’m at the weird junction where my current clothes are too big but the size smaller is too small, so I ended up buying a new pair of jeans in my current size. Both Cubs were tired by this time so we picked up food and headed home. I, being the dumbass I am, stopped at Taco Bueno and got the Whole Lotta Platter which comes with a chalupa, taco, burrito, Spanish rice, refried beans, and tortilla chips with queso. AFTER I ate it I looked up the calorie count and found out I had just consumed 2,405 calories in one sitting! Well that just blew my food journal for the day. Cheat day perhaps?

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

So proud of myself over the weekend to get 10k steps in on both days. Saturday woke up early and walked a little over three miles by the nearby creek trail, then after the wife came home walked my normal 2 mile version of the creek trail. Sunday woke up somewhat early and walked around my local park twice to achieve a little over 6k steps. I was short when I got to work and co-worker stayed late to work on a school project so I walked around in our garage until I got 10k steps. Then later, Monday morning technically, I did my normal walk around the shop and did thirty laps and climbed thirty flights of stairs while said co-worker hung around. So that was the equivalent of a 5k walk or 3.1 miles exactly.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

After the co-worker went home at 3AM I did my yoga and got both Energy and Red Hot Core in for a total of 37 minutes of yoga. Energy is fairly easy now with the exception of the standing split. I’m actually able to do Red Hot Core with the modifications now with not much trouble so I’m ecstatic about that, Inverted Table is my biggest problem with that routine.

Bearlee is ... a Readier!

Finished up A Closed and Common Orbit and actually enjoyed the book even though it wasn’t related to the other book very much. And the conclusion was much more satisfying than the other book.

I’m also about to finish up The Three Body Problem and just found out that it’s actually a trilogy. So that is why the Cubs and I went to the library to pick up the audio book for the next book title The Dark Forest. So I’m not finished with the first book but should be by Wednesday.

I should be running today, but the 5k walk and two yoga sessions have kind of taken it out of me for the moment. I’ve been contemplating shifting running to a Tues, Thurs, Sat time instead but I don’t see myself running during the weekend and especially not out in the public. This is one of my lower priorities so even if I just do it Tues and Thurs I’d still feel accomplished.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

On 3/16/2018 at 4:50 AM, Bearlee said:

I was listening to one of my astronomy Podcasts and they mentioned a website ran the two people they were hosting called Photographing Space. While I don’t have plans in the near future to buy equipment it is nice to learn about astrophotography because that is something I would like to try one day. Specifically the Solar eclipse on April 8th of 2024. So I want to keep that in the back of my head to gradually work up to that and have the skills and equipment by then.

I know that there are some people doing this with just their camera phones, a special aperture and basic telescope and by all accounts they are getting really good photos.

1 hour ago, Bearlee said:

Friday took Cub2 to doctor to make sure things were too bad. Found out he has something called Croup which I’ve never heard of before but is an upper respiratory infection. We did have his ears checked out also since he’s had so much trouble with ear infections this year and thankfully all the fluid is out of his ears and they look good.

Not having kids, my entire knowledge the child medicine is through television. The only thing I know about the Croup is that it's common and they cry a lot (more?) for a while

2 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Finished up A Closed and Common Orbit and actually enjoyed the book even though it wasn’t related to the other book very much. And the conclusion was much more satisfying than the other book.

I still need to get back to this one.

2 hours ago, Bearlee said:

I’m also about to finish up The Three Body Problem and just found out that it’s actually a trilogy. So that is why the Cubs and I went to the library to pick up the audio book for the next book title The Dark Forest. So I’m not finished with the first book but should be by Wednesday.

I'll be curious to get your take. I didn't love the first book so I never bothered to follow up on the series. Since you're a fan, I hope for spoiler filled reviews.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Short on time, quick update.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

12k steps in Tuesday. 7k in so far on Wednesday.

I did get my “run” in Tuesday. Same set time but added a set. Reduced mile pace time by about 10 secs.

Bearlee is ... a Yogi!

Got both Fat Burner and RHC 2.0 in Wednesday morning.

Bearlee is ... a Reader!

Finished The Three Body Problem Tuesday. The very end takes a strange turn and for as out there some of the sci-fi was during the book the ending really took it out there to an almost unpleasurable degree. Example, unfolding a proton from 11 dimensions to 2 and doing so created an area large enough to cover a planet? Still going to read (listen) to the next book just to give it a shot. Alien invasion comes next so things might pick up. Though I do have about five other short books in the que first. But there will be spoilers for TML.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

8 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Finished The Three Body Problem Tuesday. The very end takes a strange turn and for as out there some of the sci-fi was during the book the ending really took it out there to an almost unpleasurable degree. Example, unfolding a proton from 11 dimensions to 2 and doing so created an area large enough to cover a planet?

yeah, this was too much for me. It wasn't even the unfolding of the proton but the impact that they were claiming on humanity.

• Like 1

Hi.  I think I got unsubscribed to your thread at some point and I lost you.... Or perhaps I never found this battle log..  Either way, I found you.  I'm glad to see you're trying out some running.  I tried the Galloway method last summer and I liked it better than the C25K.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 3/19/2018 at 6:37 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Canines are the worst. I think I got about an hour of sleep a night when those were coming in.

Were they your canines or the kids? It would of helped if I knew that the lower teeth are also called canines because those are the ones that are hurting him and I was focused on the upper canines.

On 3/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, The Most Loathed said:

I know that there are some people doing this with just their camera phones, a special aperture and basic telescope and by all accounts they are getting really good photos.

This might be the first set up that I try. I recently listened to a podcast explaining what you need to do astrophotograhy well and it’s really expensive. But I have a long way to go to get there if ever.

Not having kids, my entire knowledge the child medicine is through television. The only thing I know about the Croup is that it's common and they cry a lot (more?) for a whileI

I have kids and most of my knowledge is also from TV. The doctor either didn’t know or didn’t appreciate it when I said “He has the Suds” in reference to a Spongebob Squarepants episode.

https://goo.gl/images/5amKQ7

I still need to get back to this one.

I'll be curious to get your take. I didn't love the first book so I never bothered to follow up on the series. Since you're a fan, I hope for spoiler filled reviews.

Look forward to your take on the book, if you read it. Since I’ve removed your expectations of the original characters coming back you can be spared that disappointment. If however you liked the universe setting you should like the book.

14 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

yeah, this was too much for me. It wasn't even the unfolding of the proton but the impact that they were claiming on humanity.

I wanted to comment about that also but I noticed my quick update was turning into a full on blog post. Yes two protons to stop all of humanities scientific progress and display countdowns in targeted scientists vision and manipulate the cosmic background radiation was too much of a tall order. I had actually kind of forgotten about those parts of the early book because I was having too much fun reveling in the fact that I knew most of the historical figures and events presented. And also got caught up in the three body problem itself. Now I’ve never read any of the hardcore sci-fi so I didn’t know if this is how some books worked or not but since it was presented at the very end of the book I thought I would just finish the book. However if these concepts were presented earlier in the book I may have just closed the cover and never opened it again.

Out of curiosity, what made you recommend this book in the first place?

7 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Hi.  I think I got unsubscribed to your thread at some point and I lost you.... Or perhaps I never found this battle log..  Either way, I found you.  I'm glad to see you're trying out some running.  I tried the Galloway method last summer and I liked it better than the C25K.  

Glad to have you here. It’s seemed to have happened to several people but glad you’re back. You may have missed the new battle log, don’t know how well I broadcasted the change. I thought new mindset new battle log.

How did the Galloway method work for you? Is this what you did to prep for the Hammer Race last fall?

Hope things are going well for you. And if you ever need something more than a virtual hug remember I only about 3 hours away if you need something.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Hah. The suds.

No, when my kid’s canines came in they basically stopped sleeping and only wanted me in the middle of the night. At one point I was seriously considering hurting myself so I could sleep in the emergency room waiting room. It’s tough, but you’ll get through this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Got to work tonight and I don’t know why but I just felt defeated. After mopping for a few hours I realized that wasn’t doing me any good so got up and moved around and attitude picked up a little.

Bearlee is ... a Walker!

14k steps in Wednesday which is abnormal since the days I do other activities like yoga I tone down the walking a bit. I’ll take it though. I think I had 9.7k in before bed and reached 10k before I walked to Cub1’s school to pick him up.

I was out driving tonight and realized I could only see one speck of light in the whole sky. After I finished driving I looked up my app SkyView to see what it was and it was either Mercury, Venus, or Neptune. A podcast I later listened to said that Venus would be very bright in the Western sky in early evening (I saw it at 8:30PM) so I must have spotted Venus.

Bearlee is ... a Reader!

Should probably file this under amateur astronomer because the book I’m reading now is called The Planets: Photographs from the Archives of NASA. I’ve only gotten through a small portion of it so far (Mercury and Venus) but thought it was interesting that if you put up a picture of Mercury and the “dark side” of the Moon that I probably couldn’t tell them apart.

So what I did to get out of my funk mood was to get my run in. Increased run time by 2 seconds and added another set. So 9 sets of 1:30 walk to 0:20 of run for a total of 0.91 miles. And brought my mile pace down from 18:32 to 18:08. One more set added and I’ll actually get a mile in.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

3 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Hah. The suds.

No, when my kid’s canines came in they basically stopped sleeping and only wanted me in the middle of the night. At one point I was seriously considering hurting myself so I could sleep in the emergency room waiting room. It’s tough, but you’ll get through this.

Thankfully I haven’t gotten to that point. But figuring out where to put the Orajel really helped. Now that I think about it he has been very clingy these past couple days. But he’s only had one really bad day.

Viking Adventurer

5 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Out of curiosity, what made you recommend this book in the first place?

1. beer
  2. I hate it but everyone else loved it so I tend to assume the problem is me
  3. In your last log you talked a lot about being excited about Chinese culture. I think you mentioned your degree
  4. You were psyched about astronomy and the 3 body problem, the actual problem, is a fascinating question within astronomy

6 hours ago, Bearlee said:

How did the Galloway method work for you? Is this what you did to prep for the Hammer Race last fall?

Hope things are going well for you. And if you ever need something more than a virtual hug remember I only about 3 hours away if you need something.

I did use it to prep for the Hammer Race but I wouldn't necessarily use my performance there as a good indicator of the system. :P  What I really like about his method is flexibility of the walk/run intervals.  Instead of increasing at a set pace, like C35k, I could just retest my mile and increase or not my run intervals.  I still have a tendency to push myself too much and then I hit a wall and stop progressing.  You seem to have a better handle on that than I did.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

2 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

So you both will be using it to prepare for the fall race?

You guys heard that right @Sloth the Enduring, @Rooks, @EricMN?

Why do I get the feeling I just committed myself to something accidentally? 

Why do I get the feeling I just committed myself to something accidentally? 

You’ve already committed to the fall race. I’ll grab your ass again if I have to, but you’re doing the race.

ETA: have to isn’t the right term, because it was one of the highlights of 2017.

• Thanks 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You’ve already committed to the fall race. I’ll grab your ass again if I have to, but you’re doing the race.

ETA: have to isn’t the right term, because it was one of the highlights of 2017.

I don't remember making this committment...but if there's a butt grab in then perhaps...

Family is still sleeping so will try to get a quick update in.

Friday was almost a bad day but made the decision to make it a good day and got my yoga in (BTB) and got I think about 6k+ steps in before leaving work. After dropping kids off at school went to local park and finished up my 10k for the day because I didn't know what would happen the rest of the day. By this time I was pretty juiced so stayed up and went to watch Pacific Rim: Uprising. I love the visuals and inventiveness but the story and characters fell flat for me, and half the time I needed subtitles for John Boyega because sometimes he put on the accent a little thick.

Saturday, woke up early and went to the local high school's track. Thought I would try to get my "run" in on a Saturday. Got nervous cause there were a couple of other guys there but when I worked up the courage to just get going I thought about the title of the book The Sublte Art of Not Giving a Fuck and just went on. So maintained same set time but increased by one set for a total of 10. Ended up completing my first mile! I even improved my mile pace to 16 min 55 sec, an improvement of over a minute. Not surprising since one lap at a school track is equal to 10 laps at work and work has a lot of 90 degree turns during one lap.

Well family woke up and Cub2 already put the computer to sleep while I was typing so I better go. Have a good weekend Nerds.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer