How do you lose weight when you have sleep apnea?

james452

I did a home test for sleep apnea the other week and I'm still waiting on the results, but I've been thinking a lot about how sleep apnea makes sense with how my body has been over the last year. 

Until my test results come through, I'll just assume that I do have sleep apnea and will try doing what I can to help it until I receive treatment from a doctor.

The big thing that jumped out at me is that you can get rid of sleep apnea by losing some weight. I wouldn't be considered obese, so I don't have too much fat to lose, but based on how my body is, I certainly could safely lose 20-30 lbs.

However to lose weight to improve your sleep apnea, you need to improve your sleep apnea so you can lose weight. Basically, I'm kind of screwed until I receive treatment via CPAP or even surgery.

Hence my question to you today is, what did you have to do differently so you could lose weight when you have/had sleep apnea? Did a particular diet/exercise routine make it easier? Did you make any lifestyle changes that helped?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, james452 said:

Hence my question to you today is, what did you have to do differently so you could lose weight when you have/had sleep apnea? Did a particular diet/exercise routine make it easier? Did you make any lifestyle changes that helped?

Diet is 80% of weight loss.  You don't need to do anything special about that whether you have sleep apnea or not.  Someone with sleep apnea having a 500 calorie deficit a day is going to lose the same amount of weight over the same time course as someone eating that same deficit who doesn't have sleep apnea.

Now, someone with sleep apnea may end up more exhausted when eating at a deficit because they are getting less sleep over all, and that paired with slightly less caloric energy intake could lead to lower energy levels.  But that's ind of the general burden of caloric deficits - you lose weight, at the expense of having abundant energy.  But if the deficit is low and slow enough, it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I did lose weight with sleep apnea and there is really no difference in losing weight with or without sleep apnea.  For me I was lucky and once I reduced my body fat percentage enough the sleep apnea went away.  I didn't really eat junk food so I cut out the junk food that I did eat and started 30 minute cardio sessions 3 times a week.  Point is you can lose weight with sleep apnea and always start with small changes that you can stick with over the long term. 

• Like 1