• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Akura

Kettlebell questions

I want to incorporate kettlebells into my routine. My back ist still rather weak so I want to keep my bodyweight and yoga exercises as much as possible, but add one or two whole-body kettlebell exercises. This leads to the following questions:

1. What's your favourite (single) kettlebell exercise?
  2. What's a good starting weight for kettlebells? 16kg for men seems reasonable from my research.
  3. Any particular brand of kettlebells I should avoid? Is any cast-iron kettlebell good enough?

5 hours ago, Akura said:

I want to incorporate kettlebells into my routine. My back ist still rather weak so I want to keep my bodyweight and yoga exercises as much as possible, but add one or two whole-body kettlebell exercises. This leads to the following questions:

1. What's your favourite (single) kettlebell exercise?
  2. What's a good starting weight for kettlebells? 16kg for men seems reasonable from my research.
  3. Any particular brand of kettlebells I should avoid? Is any cast-iron kettlebell good enough?

If the three people shouted out too, I'm the least experienced, which is not to say unexperienced. All three of us have very different training and backgrounds and within our little niche, that can lead to a lot of variety in our answers. So I'll take a swing but don't think that just because we dissent that we really disagree, we've each got years of experiences that we're trying to boil down to what seems like a simple question but isn't

1. One exercise. Man. That's nigh impossible. Looking at your log I can't tell where you are physically or where you want to go. I also have to assume that you don't have access to training. So I might actually suggest none. I know that's not evangelistic of me but I'm honestly not sure it's worth your time to just add one kettlebell exercise and not really learn it. If you insist on one, go with the swing. It's the heartbeat of kettlebell training and almost everything else should come from here. I prefer one handed but two handed tends to be the first taught. I'd prefer you not learn hardstyle but those will be the easiest videos to find. Last time someone asked me for a video I shared this from Kettlebell Fit Britt. Start there.
  2. Historically males start with 16 kg and females with 8 kg. I have heard that many trainers are backing the down the 12kg and 4 kg. If you can find somewhere to play with one including walking into your local big box sporting goods store, I would do that. With no knowledge of you, I have to go with the historical answer
  3. oh boy. KG Girl and I use sport bells. Especially at small weights, they are much more comfortable than cast iron bells. However, cast iron bells are ubiquitous so you're probably going to want to walk into your local big box sporting goods store and swing around what they have and walk out with it. Also, sport bells are more expensive per kilo at the lower weights, at higher weights, the prices even out. So while I am loathe to say it, go pick up whatever piece of scrap you can find locally. Shipping sucks and unless you're getting into a snatch program, you really won't care that much.

If you want to get into details, feel free to post back here and message. At least for me I'd want some idea of what you're doing today for training and where you imagine this one movement will fit into your program and why it's specifically just one exercise. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

So I might actually suggest none. I know that's not evangelistic of me but I'm honestly not sure it's worth your time to just add one kettlebell exercise and not really learn it.

Ah, it's more out of curiosity. When I ask "What's your favourite kettlebell program?" I would probably get answers I mostly can google myself. But the answers to the question "What's your single favourite exercise?" are hopefully much more interesting.

If you want to get into details, feel free to post back here and message.

I will!

I'd want some idea of what you're doing today for training

Lots of mobility exercises and stretches; basically yoga. For "proper" training I'm doing, at the moment,

• push-ups,
  • inverted rows,
  • (almost) single-leg squats,
  • hollow body leg raises (or whatever the exact name is...) and
  • variations of hip raises on a swiss ball.

When I want to do something more intense I add dips and other things. But during the last weeks and months I focused on mobility and stretching so I was content with these five exercises.

I have no idea where kettlebells might fit in...

14 minutes ago, Akura said:

Ah, it's more out of curiosity. When I ask "What's your favourite kettlebell program?" I would probably get answers I mostly can google myself. But the answers to the question "What's your single favourite exercise?" are hopefully much more interesting.

Ah. Well that might change my answer. My favorite exercise for myself is Long Cycle (clean and jerk with two bells at the same time.

15 minutes ago, Akura said:

Lots of mobility exercises and stretches; basically yoga. For "proper" training I'm doing, at the moment,

• push-ups,
  • inverted rows,
  • (almost) single-leg squats,
  • hollow body leg raises (or whatever the exact name is...) and
  • variations of hip raises on a swiss ball.

When I want to do something more intense I add dips and other things. But during the last weeks and months I focused on mobility and stretching so I was content with these five exercises.

I have no idea where kettlebells might fit in...

Swings, cleans, or snatches would fit in here. You lack pulling with your lower body with is super common with bodyweight folks.  However, I would tell you seek out someone to help you learn the movements. The Swing more intuitive but not enough so that if you're going to do a lot of volume I would send you off without any guidance. Cleans and Snatches add more variety and play with the timing but will be brutal (you will bruise your arms)if no one teaches you how to do it. 

My $0.02

• Like 2

Hi there! So I do more StrongFirst kettlebell stuff, as opposed to  TML's sport kettlebells. My two favorite are the swing and Turkish Get Up. If you look up strongfirst and then swing and Trukish Get UP, you should find some good videos. A good farmer's or waiter's carry is a nice simple way to end your workout though. Farmer's Carry is a bell in each hand, waiter is in one had. Do for time or distance. I know you didn't ask for a program, but I love Pavel's Simple and Sinister. I've used it as a stand alone program, or just to add parts of it to a bodyweight program.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elastigirl said:

but I love Pavel's Simple and Sinister.

I knew this would have to come up but having never done it I didn't feel comfortable being the one to mention it. Also, I'd hate for any of the sport folks to see me mention it :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

with bodyweight folks

I'm a "bodyweight folk"? Oh my... Tell that to my old self from three years ago and he will laugh at you... XD

24 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

you will bruise your arms

If that's the worst that can happen, I see no problems!

24 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Turkish Get Up

Oh, right! Good idea! I forgot about those.

25 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Simple and Sinister

Yeah, that seems to be the "standard" program according to my own little research.

1 hour ago, Akura said:

I'm a "bodyweight folk"? Oh my... Tell that to my old self from three years ago and he will laugh at you... XD

If that's the worst that can happen, I see no problems!

Oh, right! Good idea! I forgot about those.

Yeah, that seems to be the "standard" program according to my own little research.

The nice thingabout Simple and Sinister is it's just two movements,

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

If the three people shouted out too, I'm the least experienced, which is not to say unexperienced. All three of us have very different training and backgrounds and within our little niche, that can lead to a lot of variety in our answers. So I'll take a swing but don't think that just because we dissent that we really disagree, we've each got years of experiences that we're trying to boil down to what seems like a simple question but isn't

So... anyone?

tearable-puns.jpg

8 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Last time someone asked me for a video I shared this from Kettlebell Fit Britt. Start there.

I have her on my friends list for some reason. She posts some really good stuff in both kettlebell and bodyweight training. I approve of this message.

13 hours ago, Akura said:

What's your favourite (single) kettlebell exercise?

The Get Up. Only because it's my best lift.

What's a good starting weight for kettlebells? 16kg for men seems reasonable from my research.

It really depends on what you're planning on doing.

Any particular brand of kettlebells I should avoid? Is any cast-iron kettlebell good enough?

I still have my no-name brand ones. They such because the bottoms aren't flat, so Renegade Rows are unstable, and the 45's handle is way thick. Usually you want a cast-iron one to be in one piece rather than welded, though I have heard of stories of even DragonDoor kettlebells breaking and turning into projectiles. Competition 'bells are great, but cost quite a bit more.

6 hours ago, Akura said:

I use it kind of as an assessment, really. (If a person was capable of grinding though the same workout day-in, day-out they wouldn't be paying me.) Some reasonably athletic folks tend to pick up the movements rather quickly, and particularly strong ones can get to the Simple standard in a few months without sacrificing too much.

• Like 1