Alanna does two things... wait, make that three

Alanna

Just now, Grumble said:

I posted a whole response to this, then realized it wasn't my thread. Were you talking to me or Alanna?

LOL, I just looked you up on the Insta and you recently PR'd with a mixed grip deadlift too, no wonder my post confused you! Sorry, Alanna posted a video just now of her killing some deadlifts and I was just wondering if maybe that might play a role in aggravating the issue because of the unequal loading of the biceps. It might be hard to know for sure if you've been using this particular grip for a while, but I just thought it was worth throwing out there in case it hadn't already been explored as possibility. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

5 minutes ago, Urgan said:

LOL, I just looked you up on the Insta and you recently PR'd with a mixed grip deadlift too, no wonder my post confused you! Sorry, Alanna posted a video just now of her killing some deadlifts and I was just wondering if maybe that might play a role in aggravating the issue because of the unequal loading of the biceps. It might be hard to know for sure if you've been using this particular grip for a while, but I just thought it was worth throwing out there in case it hadn't already been explored as possibility. 

Now that things are cleared up (and I just watched that video too, she made that PR look easy.)

I ONLY use mixed grip on my heavy singles, otherwise it's overhand or hook. I think you'd have to exclusively used mixed grip without ever switching to be really concerned about unequal loading. 

Everybody's favorite instagram Dr has a really comprehensive article about mixed grip and imbalance here

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

Just now, Grumble said:

Now that things are cleared up (and I just watched that video too, she made that PR look easy.)

I ONLY use mixed grip on my heavy singles, otherwise it's overhand or hook. I think you'd have to exclusively used mixed grip without ever switching to be really concerned about unequal loading. 

Agreed. It'd be a permutation of an overuse injury, essentially. Have you considered straps for your singles by chance? Just curious.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

4 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Agreed. It'd be a permutation of an overuse injury, essentially. Have you considered straps for your singles by chance? Just curious.

I have straps, and I use them on the weird days that have volume AND heavy singles. Otherwise my goal is to double overhand 500 # raw.

I firmly believe that if I can't lift twice my bodyweight in a given moment, I have no business using straps or a belt.

• Like 1

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

As Urgan spoiled (:P), I just got a rather unexpected deadlift PR: 140 kg (308.6 lbs) x 6. Previous best 6RM was 132.5 kg, and the most I'd done to ~that weight before was 310 lbs x 3. All is right with the world again.

Also, if anyone else wants to stalk me on IG, feel free to PM me for my username (though you might already be familiar with it because of mutual IG friends :P). I just ask that you try to avoid using my NF name on IG and avoid my real name and city publicly here :). Even though a determined stalker could easily find me once I compete...

22 hours ago, farflight said:

Oh hells to the no do I pay for premium services...

On the myfitnesspal.com website follow these steps

-Food

--View full report (at the bottom of the page)

---Change the dates at the top of the page

----Click "Change report" (make sure you check/uncheck the different things you wanna see)

-----You can then copy/past the info into excel. With a little "cleaning" you can reformat the data fairly easily.

-------(Case in point, I was able to "clean" my data in a couple hours from early december to yesterday)

-

Haha, I don't blame you for avoiding the cost of premium. Thanks, we'll look into that!

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Pec stretch in doorframe, put your forearms on either side of a doorframe and lean into it, keeping elbows at 90 degrees.

Single-arm shoulder flexion: Stand with your injured arm hanging down at your side. Keeping your arm straight, bring your arm forward and up toward the ceiling. Hold this position for 5 seconds. 

External rotations: Tie a resistance band to a bar about mid chest level. With the arm parallel to the floor and bent at the elbow 90 degrees, slowly rotate til the forearm is vertical. Start with a light resist band and up the resistance as you feel comfortable. Other version: Stand sideways next to a door with your injured arm farther from the door. Tie the band at waist level. Rest the hand of your injured arm across your stomach. Keeping your elbow in at your side, rotate your arm outward and away from your waist. Slowly return your arm to the starting position. Make sure you keep your elbow bent 90 degrees and your forearm parallel to the floor. 

Sleeper stretch: Lie on your injured side with your hips and knees flexed and your arm straight out in front of you. Bend the elbow on your injured side to a right angle so that your fingers are pointing toward the ceiling. Then use your other hand to gently push your arm down toward the floor. Keep your shoulder blades lightly squeezed together as you do this exercise. 

I still use these regularly as warmups and they without a doubt are perpetually beneficial.

Thanks so much for explaining these - I'll add them to my warm-ups and rehab (hopefully soon prehab) exercises!

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Question: I just saw you are deadlifting with a mixed grip. Which arm is giving you trouble, or is it both??

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I actually switched my supinated hand to my non-injured side this session in order to avoid aggravating the (more) injured side ( = my left, but my right arm is a bit stiff and achy occasionally too) - usually I supinate my left hand. I'm bad and I don't switch back and forth between them (though I do use double overhand until my grip fails), so the unevenness very well could have contributed to an imbalance that predisposed me to my current situation. As you said, it's hard to say because it might have cropped up sometime in the past few years if it was going to be an issue :P - that said, my deadlift volume has increased a lot in the past few months. My shoulders are also a little uneven, which adds further imbalances to complicate the matter.

Originally I always supinated my left hand because my right didn't have the mobility to get in a good supinated position - I broke my right badly when I was younger (I actually broke both, but the right was the worst and needed two pins). Not a great excuse, but the mobility seems to have improved in the past few years. That said, my right bicep wasn't thrilled with learning this new position with 130-140 kg weights, so I switched back to my usual grip for my last set.

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

Everybody's favorite instagram Dr has a really comprehensive article about mixed grip and imbalance here

But what would Dom do? :P (Warning - the video is very NSFW, though ~4:02 - 4:30 is fine if you ignore the swearing)

In all seriousness - I get what he has to saw about mixed grip, but am skeptical about what he says about it preventing you from getting stronger - if your grip is the limiting factor, then your strength gains will be slowed down by that. My form will also deteriorate if it feels like my grip is failing. That said, I should work on evening out the potential imbalances by alternating which hand I supinate.

• Like 2

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

6 minutes ago, Alanna said:

As Urgan spoiled (:P), I just got a rather unexpected deadlift PR: 140 kg (308.6 lbs) x 6. Previous best 6RM was 132.5 kg, and the most I'd done to ~that weight before was 310 lbs x 3. All is right with the world again.

I'm in your stories, spoiling your endings.

7 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I actually switched my supinated hand to my non-injured side this session in order to avoid aggravating the (more) injured side ( = my left, but my right arm is a bit stiff and achy occasionally too) - usually I supinate my left hand. I'm bad and I don't switch back and forth between them (though I do use double overhand until my grip fails), so the unevenness very well could have contributed to an imbalance that predisposed me to my current situation. As you said, it's hard to say because it might have cropped up sometime in the past few years if it was going to be an issue :P - that said, my deadlift volume has increased a lot in the past few months. My shoulders are also a little uneven, which adds further imbalances to complicate the matter.

Originally I always supinated my left hand because my right didn't have the mobility to get in a good supinated position - I broke my right badly when I was younger (I actually broke both, but the right was the worst and needed two pins). Not a great excuse, but the mobility seems to have improved in the past few years. That said, my right bicep wasn't thrilled with learning this new position with 130-140 kg weights, so I switched back to my usual grip for my last set.

I think we can safely say this may play a role in how you feel--at least on and directly after deadlift days. Whether or not it's the originator of your issue we may never know. I think there's room for experimentation here. You could take the opportunity to work on DOH grip work (for a session or two at least) and see how that feels. Hypothetically, if it is merely exacerbating the situation then you should be able to return to mixed once the pain subsides for good. If it is the cause of the problem, you gots options. YMMV, I hope it's a passing issue that won't disturb your training preferences too much, whatever the cause.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alanna said:

In all seriousness - I get what he has to saw about mixed grip, but am skeptical about what he says about it preventing you from getting stronger - if your grip is the limiting factor, then your strength gains will be slowed down by that. My form will also deteriorate if it feels like my grip is failing. That said, I should work on evening out the potential imbalances by alternating which hand I supinate.

I get what Dom is saying, but it's still Dom, bro extraordinaire. I need more SCIENCE!

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

I know this was directed at Grumble, but I want to show off these:
bb89627200633ce5632b3833c44d6023.jpg

Just arrived today (unfortunately during my session, rather than before) - they are a belated valentine’s present from my boyfriend. I knew I wanted some for high volume and heavy snatch grip deadlifts during my next hypertrophy phase, but they should come in useful now as well. Plan is to try to use mixed grip for my top set, and then switch to straps for my back-off sets to save my bicep some wear and tear while it’s healing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I know this was directed at Grumble, but I want to show off these:
bb89627200633ce5632b3833c44d6023.jpg

Just arrived today (unfortunately during my session, rather than before) - they are a belated valentine’s present from my boyfriend. I knew I wanted some for high volume and heavy snatch grip deadlifts during my next hypertrophy phase, but they should come in useful now as well. Plan is to try to use mixed grip for my top set, and then switch to straps for my back-off sets to save my bicep some wear and tear while it’s healing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

...shiny. 

3 minutes ago, Grumble said:

this sounds like a good idea. *walks off with your good idea*

I concur and when I am able to pull weights heavy enough that I'd struggle to hold onto (is my grip strong or am I just weak? The world may never...well, LBR it knows damn well which it is lol), I will probably do similar. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I'm in your stories, spoiling your endings.

I think we can safely say this may play a role in how you feel--at least on and directly after deadlift days. Whether or not it's the originator of your issue we may never know. I think there's room for experimentation here. You could take the opportunity to work on DOH grip work (for a session or two at least) and see how that feels. Hypothetically, if it is merely exacerbating the situation then you should be able to return to mixed once the pain subsides for good. If it is the cause of the problem, you gots options. YMMV, I hope it's a passing issue that won't disturb your training preferences too much, whatever the cause.

dumbledore-dies-now-feed-meh-spoiler-cat

Don't think the mixed grip is bothering it that much (low bar squats were definitely the cause, and those and bench exacerbate it the most), so I should be fine. I wish I could DOH @140 kg :P. Unfortunately, I need to work on ramping the weight up now, which means DOH will be insufficient (and holding onto weights with my fingers probably isn't good for the bicep either).

Before someone brings up hook grip - I have been working on that too, it's just not a great option >90 kg right now.

6 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I get what Dom is saying, but it's still Dom, bro extraordinaire. I need more SCIENCE!

Ha, that was tongue in cheek (I don't use brolife for training recommendations :P).

What approach you want to take probably just depends on your priorities. There are also ways to strength grip outside of deadlifts as well, and that's probably what I need to do to make DOH a better option for me.

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

this sounds like a good idea. *walks off with your good idea*

Steal away :).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alanna said:

What approach you want to take probably just depends on your priorities. There are also ways to strength grip outside of deadlifts as well, and that's probably what I need to do to make DOH a better option for me.

Farmer walks  for life.

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior