The Year of Living Trippily, Part III: The Wickening [DJTrippyT]

DJtrippyT

You knew this was coming....

...mostly because I told you on Saturday.

A more exciting version, hopefully, of my ongoing challenge weirdness

John Wick! I love this part. This is such a great scene, and it has so many great lines and tells you so much about the story and the backstory in just one segment. Plus it’s just great filmmaking and pretty to look at. 

“John is a man of focus… commitment… sheer will. I once saw him kill three men… in a bar… with a pencil.”

John also has suitcase of gold buried in his basement, which is probably not the worst form of retirement planning. John wears a uniform, as I do, though he probably spends more time at the dry cleaner discussing blood stains. And John is really hard to kill. 

Anyway, on to… THE WICKENING

FOCUS: know what I’m doing, where I’m going, and who I’m going to kill what I need to do when I get there

- make daily to-do list the night before
- pick one area of “focus” per day (writing, networking, etc)
- hit the day’s target 

I watch a lot of those inspirational/motivational videos on youtube, because I am a total cheezeball, and the other day I heard one that used the expression, “You can’t hit a target that isn’t there.” So instead of giving myself a general idea of the day - I’m going to write, I’m going to blog, I’m going to whatever - I want to have very specific targets to aim at.

So a given day might be:

- I’m going to write 1,000 words in my current ebook
- I’m going to cold-call 5 possible clients
- I’m going to post two items to my social networks
- I’m going to burn down the homes of seven of my enemies

By getting really specific, I think it will make my efforts more manageable, and therefore more achievable.

I’m kidding about the burning down the houses, by the way. I don’t have seven enemies. Not anymore… 

COMMITMENT: the inevitable nutrition goal

This is important, even though it’s boring and I hate it. The Mantis and I did some math, and we figured out that I spend at least 11 hours a week working out. Sometimes more. Admittedly that includes mobility and yoga, and cycling is huge chunks on the weekend,  but still it’s a lot. And if I’m going to work out that much I need to commit to good nutrition, so I’m not undermining my efforts.

I seem to do best with making small changes until they stick. Last challenge I started adding a planned snack after my big workouts, and I found I recovered faster and felt better after workouts.  So I’m going to keep that adjustment, and my improvement this round will be to get a good, low-carb, keto-ish breakfast. To hit this target I will pre-plan and pre-make my breakfasts. (Ties in with the focus goal, see? I am so clever.)

I gave up soda two challenges ago and I’m still going good with that, so that stays as well.

SHEER WILL: Aw yesss bitches it is ON

I am a officially registered for the Crossfit Open! I’m going to die, but at least I will go down in a blaze of glory.

In an attempt to NOT die, I will:

- change my gym workout focus to 1 strength, 2 conditioning workouts.
- add 1 2017 crossfit open workout to my week until the Open starts (I actually started this two weeks ago)
- walk/jog 6 miles per week (can also include hiking)
- learn to do toes-to-bar ugggggh  haha! I found out there's no toes to bar in my division. Suck it, Castro! But I do need to get to a pull-up.

This year my goal is just to do the Open, but I think by next year I can make a real run at my regionals. It’ll help that I’ll be in the youngest cohort of my division, rather than the oldest like I am this year.  Of course by next year I’ll probably be into squirrel suit flying instead, or something. It's the Ranger Way.

In addition, because I am nothing but an overachiever, I am registered for my first adventure race!

March 17th, 6 mile kayak followed by 4 mile run. I need to get back to paddling STAT.

SUITCASE FULL OF GOLD IN THE BASEMENT: 

I have a monthly savings goal I’m trying to hit. In January I got about 85% of the way there. I’ll repeat that goal (although at a slightly lower number) for February, and any spare cash will then go towards my dreadful credit card balances. 

In January I did a “no spend” goal, and I am going to tweak that to a “discretionary budget” goal. So instead of trying to not spend anything, I have $17 a week that I can spend on anything I want. That number is pretty random but $15 seemed too low and $20 was too high. Extra points if I can stay under the $17.

BE HARD TO KILL: 

He fixed his own stab wound with a goddamned stapler are you fucking kidding me 

Log workouts. I did 17.2 yesterday plus 2 miles on the treadmill and wanted to pass out. I haven't done walking lunges in a long time, let alone with dumbbells. Faaargh.

Bonus Goal: With a Pencil... a fucking... pencil.

I want to finish an ebook and a script that I am writing before end of challenge. It's a bonus goal because if I get a big job it has to go on hold. Dolla Dolla bills, Y'all

Okay, that’s it for now

[peels out in fancy car]
[screeches into Kroger parking lot because she’s out of cat food]
[peels out again]

• Like 7

the year of living trippily

The most current of all: Final Boss  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

6 minutes ago, TiffanyD said:

Hey I am a first to the party for once!!

giphy.gif

Following!

Also I dig the goals, they are quite similar to what mine will be this go around (because I am also back to the forums after wanting a month away).

awesome! I looked for you last go round and couldn't find you.

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

57 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

awesome! I looked for you last go round and couldn't find you.

She's hanging out with us in the Ranger Corps.

Following along.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Nice challenge. Epic that you are going to the Crossfit Open

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following!

For the Crossfit Open...

giphy.gif

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

She's hanging out with us in the Ranger Corps.

who wouldn't?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

37 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Following!

For the Crossfit Open...

giphy.gif

I haven't seen 2: The Wickeninckening, but I'm sure it's excellent.

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

LOVE this challenge! It's really fun (for me as a spectator who doesn't have to actually do any of the stuff)!

I haven't seen either of the movies. Will add to my netflix list so I can be one of the cool kids. Note that I didn't offer to do that for any of @Sloth the Enduring's barbarian movies (only partly because I've already seen most of them).

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

16 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

“John is a man of focus… commitment… sheer will. I once saw him kill three men… in a bar… with a pencil.”

John is good, but the Joker is a classic with a pencil Any excuse i get to repost this GIF

See i really like the entertainment value, turning it into a show, Magic, Fortunetelling, a grand Finale, this has got it all!

How about a a Magic Trick.

I'm gonna make this pencil, disappear.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor joker pencil trick gif

TADAA!!! It's ... it's gone.

I’m kidding about the burning down the houses, by the way. I don’t have seven enemies. Not anymore

This is you isn't it?

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor gif girl burned down the house

I am a officially registered for the Crossfit Open! I’m going to die, but at least I will go down in a blaze of glory.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor a blaze of glory gif

And i will be there right next to you, dying, in a blaze of glory, but certain death nonetheless! (Will update when i'm registered). There is also an 2018 open thread in another section, i will search and report back here!

• Like 3

... a little odd in the head ...

On 2/5/2018 at 7:43 PM, Xena said:

LOVE this challenge! It's really fun (for me as a spectator who doesn't have to actually do any of the stuff)!

I haven't seen either of the movies. Will add to my netflix list so I can be one of the cool kids. Note that I didn't offer to do that for any of @Sloth the Enduring's barbarian movies (only partly because I've already seen most of them).

True confession: I've watched it John Wick like seven times, but only in segments on my phone because I can't take the scary bits in the beginning.

@Sloth the Enduring"s movie list is awesome.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:34 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Read the tag: Crossfit and Sledgehammer, okay that's it, following!!!

I knew you'd be easy to lure in

On 2/6/2018 at 2:48 AM, Mr_Willes said:

John is good, but the Joker is a classic with a pencil

I seriously almost threw up in the theatre at that scene.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:46 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor spreading fairy dust gif

yasssssss [signs up immediately]

22 hours ago, deftona said:

Here because Trippy is Bae. 

you saucy minx. tell me more

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

have I updated this for zero week? no, didn't think so. Beginning of the week was crap but got better:

Monday

Focus: I did not. did a ton of catch up type stuff but very scattered.

Committment: I eat breakfast

Sheer will: not so much, skipped one workout

Suitcase full of gold: Had a job lined up and it cancelled. Arrrgh.

Be hard to kill: Yoga, then 45 mins on bike trainer. Was supposed to do gym as well but didn't

Tuesday: Completely off the rails

Focus: even worse than Monday. A million jillion little tasks that added up to nothing

Commitment: skipped breakfast

Sheer will: yes, hit all my workouts but no, ate terrible

Suitcase full of gold: I decided to put my spending limit on hold for week zero because I need some stuff still (sneakers). And I ate out twice.

Be hard to kill: Yoga again, then circuit training and hang clean/OH press. This was a bitch. I can finally hit 110 on my hang/oh press but only for one set. I bitched to the Mantis later about it and we worked out some new training ideas.

Wednesday:  By Wednesday I was totally frustrated and decided to hole up in the Continental Hotel and recuperate (that's from the movie; I didn't actually go to a hotel.) I just pushed all my work stuff to Thursday and refused to deal with it.

Focused: on my sofa, mostly

Commitment: Back on the breakfast bandwagon

Sheer will: read a bunch of crossfit articles on the couch.

Suitcase full of gold: didn't spend any money, but realized I am going ot have to take money out of my savings to pay this month's bills because I haven't gotten paid for my last job yet.

Be hard to kill: was supposed to do 1 hour on the trainer, did 1 hour 20 minutes because the training program crapped out I had to re-start it. Fuck you, technology.

Thursday: Back with a vengance. I got up at 5:30 AM and started knocking things of my to-do list like John Wick knocking over Russian Mobsters.

Focused: Like a laser, baby. I had something like 30 items on my list and I got 27 of them done, plus went to the grocery store AND photographed a skeletonized frog.

Commitment: huge breakfast, yummy.

Sheer will: I literally worked out until I could barely stand yesterday. I was wanting to take a hot bath after workout 2 but I was afraid I'd fall asleep and drown, like Whitney Houston (without the drugs, obv). Also, cleaned and reorganized all my workout gear.

Suitcase full of gold: Got an offer for a job and booked two interviews with possible clients. Spent no money except groceries.

Be hard to kill: I think a kitten could have killed me after this workout

200 sledgehammers are a happy place to be. My pullups are still trash but I've got a new plan for attack for those. 

Then I came home and did an hour of intervals on the bike trainer, which was disturbingly enjoyable.

Then I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and passed out mumbling about v02 max and thrusters

Friday: Friday is my day off, thank god. All I have to do today is go for a walk. I've eaten breakfast (low carb breakfast is the best) and I'm not too sore from yesterday's shenanigans. Also I bought new sneakers, finally, and a gift card from christmas covered about 2/3 the cost.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

23 hours ago, Xena said:

man, you killed the second half of the week. Bottle that sh-t up!!

if only I could. It would be useful to have it on command

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Friday was rest day and day off, so all I did was go for a hike. 

Saturday's workout was a test run of 17.4 which I thought would be easy and turned out to be horrible.

I didn't gag during this one like I did 17.1 but holy moly. I'm really seeing the difference between "oh yeah I'm into crossfit" and true crossfit workouts. This shiz is a whole other level. 

I cleared a space near the rowers so I could do everything in one area and the minute I went to get my bumper plates some guy plopped down in my freshly-cleared area and started doing stretches. Douche.

Week Zero summary:

{pause while I remember what my goals were}

Focus:

Mostly good, I made my to-do list every day but had a hard time getting bigger stuff done - was overwhelmed with many tiny to-do things, what I call "two minute tasks". I have to remember to do the big stuff first.

Commitment: 

This was easy. I love breakfast. Low-carb breakfast is like all the best parts of breakfast, concentrated. Although I do miss toast.

I did a huge meal prep today - three proteins, potatoes, soba and rice noodles, some veg - that I can mix and match to get me through the first part of this week.

Sheer Will: 

did my extra conditioning workouts and yesterday I did 17.4 (see above) which was... not as easy as I had hoped. Then I did pullup drop sets on the assisted pullup gizmo, and then I walked/jogged two miles on the treadmill, which is horrible in itself. But it was raining so I couldn't do it outside. I am not the badass that @Xena is ;). I have to get one more bike ride and 1.5 miles walking today to make my workout goal.

Still need to put my kayak rack on my car, which has been sitting in a box since last summer.

Weighed myself. Still fat.

Suitcase full of gold: 

I needed to do some personal shopping (new sneakers, a birthday gift) so I gave myself a week zero pass for the $18 goal. Most of the sneaker purchase was covered by a gift card so it wasn't too bad. 

I'm still puzzling as to whether it is better to pay the minimum on my credit cards and get some savings built up again or just throw everything at the cards to get the monthly payment down. I hate not having a "cushion" fund" but I also hate having huge balances on my cards. Will ponder.

Be hard to kill:

Go look at my workouts and then come at me with that shit. But only in a way that doesn't require me to lift my arms above shoulder height.

Bonus Goal:

Utter rubbish. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

I would say that if finances are sufficiently dire that you bounce checks, or have overdue/overdraft charges, you need some cushion in your accounts. Maybe think about the likely money to be coming in and out over the next 3 months and plan accordingly.

Otherwise, I think I would throw as much as possible toward the credit cards. This doesn’t sound all that encouraging, but if an emergency came up, you could always pull out the credit card again.

After thinking about that shit for any longer than 2 minutes, running outside in the rain doesn’t really sound so bad, right?

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

I'm still puzzling as to whether it is better to pay the minimum on my credit cards and get some savings built up again or just throw everything at the cards to get the monthly payment down. I hate not having a "cushion" fund" but I also hate having huge balances on my cards. Will ponder.

Always pay down debt. It's pointless building savings with negligible interest rates when your debts aren't dropping, you'll be richer overall if you get rid of the debt first, then build the savings. Like Xena says, you can always put stuff back on the credit cards if you absolutely need to. 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I would second third the advice on paying down the credit cards. You're not going to find an investment that consistently gives you a rate of return that matches the interest a credit card company charges. You'll be consistently losing money until that debt is gone. And as previously stated, if you really find yourself in a bind, you can reenlist the available credit on those cards.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Found you finally!

Following.

True. Workouts make you harder to kill in the long run, but easy pickings until the DOMS wears off.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

That amount of deadlifts as the start of multiple sets makes my back scream...  You crazy, but awesome :D

I too am paying down my CC's this year.  I started a Roth a few years ago that is basically a bill to me now, but that is my "in case shit happens" fund and I throw everything else except a 300-400 emergency savings account on debt.  That may be a happy medium for you.

• Like 2

Current Challenge! Updated 9/18

Battle Log

Instagram

2019 Goal - Follow all 3 main programs of Strong Lifts (complete each on time)

On 2/11/2018 at 3:20 PM, DJtrippyT said:

This was easy. I love breakfast. Low-carb breakfast is like all the best parts of breakfast, concentrated. Although I do miss toast.

What sorts of foods do you eat for your low-carb breakfasts? Hopefully something besides eggs?

On 2/14/2018 at 8:57 AM, TiffanyD said:

I started a Roth a few years ago that is basically a bill to me now, but that is my "in case shit happens" fund and I throw everything else except a 300-400 emergency savings account on debt.

I've been thinking of starting a Roth for myself, now that I'm a real grown-up ... is it complicated to set up?

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 44

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Pilgrim's Progress (32%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan