Wobbegong Twists and Turns

Honestly just curious  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Choose.

• Otters
    • Sea Turtles
    • Penguins
    • Whale Sharks

Hello Rebels! I'm back(? never left) and ready to go after a new challenge! Who's with me?! 

A quick bio for those of you who don't know me: 

Spoiler

Hi! I'm Wobbegong, Rebel Guild Leader, Morning Person, and Freaky Fish Girl. 

Seriously I really like the ocean, so feel free to say hi with a fish gif or something. Sharks in particular are my jam but basically everything's cool. If the ocean freaks you out, dog gifs are also super welcome. ;) 

As for exercise, I like running, hiking, yoga, swimming, SCUBA, and bodyweight, and mostly don't deviate from those options. 

Nerd creds... uh... the ocean, Pokemon, anime, MCU, Stargate: Atlantis (I know, I'm sorry), way more than you ever needed to know about weasels... a random assortment of general trivia... Is that enough? Idk

I work from home so I'm basically online all the time. If you need me, just holler. I'm pretty friendly. If you have any questions, be they personal for me or general about NF, don't hesitate to ask. And if you just wanna chat, I'm around for that too! Don't feel pressured to follow my challenge, but do feel free to hang out or just drop in and say hi! 

Now on to the fun part! My goals this challenge period. I have some. 

Eating: In addition to last challenge's continuing goals of visiting the grocery store once per week and making 4/5 weekday breakfasts for myself, this period I'm doing a kind of weird flax challenge. One tbsp freshly ground flaxseed 4/5 weekdays. Let's just see how it goes. 

Eating2: Second goal is "do not buy food I know is crap." I can still eat it if someone gives it to me, but I can't bring more into my life on purpose. 

Yoga: I am still working on my C25K program, but I am adding a yoga practice because I am stiiiiiiff and it's terrible. So: on C25K mornings, do AT LEAST ONE Sun Salutation. On other mornings, as lengthy a yoga program as desired of no shorter than 10 minutes. Goal is six days a week, but seven is of course preferable. I also have an hourly alarm set reminding me to get up and either stretch or walk around for five minutes. 

FSF: Finish Shit February is a LUYL challenge designed to incentivize finishing ongoing projects in the month of February. I am not aiming to finish something every day because that would be ridiculous, but here is an incomplete list of some of the projects I am working on this month: 

• Paint By Numbers
  • Rebel Minis -- prepare at least three 
  • Nonfiction -- I have a one book per month goal this year
  • AMTRAK Trip (plan it, don't actually go)
  • Fanfiction -- I have a couple ongoing projects but there's one in particular I really want to finish

That should be enough to keep me busy. Here we go! 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Listen, sea turtles are the best. Since sting rays aren't on that list.

I almost put manta rays on the list! But too many options dilutes the results. Sea turtles are pretty freaking cool, though. 

• Like 4

You guys, look at all those friendly fishy hellos! You're all champs. 

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Following to see you continue to rock your challenges

Yusss I will not disappoint you! I AM GONNA ROCK!

Mermaid1-358c357f972b3e657a26445a14400a6

Hannah Fraser is a goddess. #dreamjob #mermaid 

3 hours ago, Hazard said:

67c740f188eeed26f5260c6e55df6bd6.gif

It's a barreleye! They're so cool. It took a really long time for biologists to notice that their eyes could rotate so people always assumed they just stare straight up all the time. Noooot very effective for most pursuits, lol. But they actually hunt things that are above them and then rotate their eyes forward for actual eating time. So cool! 

I sense that people are gonna ask, so... the round green things inside the clear dome are eyes, guys. The eye-looking dark spots on the "face" part of the fish are nostrils (well, nares, but same difference really). I'm sorry, I didn't make the rules. 

2 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Following!

Yaaaay! Good to see you! :D 

giphy.gif

What! How cute! I wonder if my corys would chase a laser like that. Puffers are way more active and outgoing though, so maybe not. (I don't have a laser pointer or else I'd try it right now.) 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Hiiii!

980x.gif

Hi!!!! Those otters are so cuddly! Such noses! Adorbs! 

This has reminded me that there's a special event at the Monterey Bay Aquarium about sharks and rays. I have free passes, but it's a two hour drive in each direction and the event doesn't start until 7pm... decisions, decisions... 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cataleya said:
12 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:
Wanna come with? I have two spare tickets and no idea how far away you are. 

As much as I'd love to, it'd be like a 30 hour trip each way. 

Yeah that's a little outside the reasonable visitation radius. Well, I thought I'd at least offer. If you ever find yourself nearby, hmu! 

• Like 4

In completely unrelated news, today I learned that the verb for "doing the work of a butler" is "buttle." As in "I know how to buttle." 

In case you were curious, buttle is also a NSFW Urban Dictionary word that has nothing to do with butler-ing, so be careful using it in a sentence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

In completely unrelated news, today I learned that the verb for "doing the work of a butler" is "buttle." As in "I know how to buttle." 

I’ve long held that The Simpsons is a surprisingly educational show.

”Hey butler, quit buttling yourself!”

368451.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Hazard said:

I’ve long held that The Simpsons is a surprisingly educational show.

Truth! I learned about so much from that show, such as: spirochetes, the music of Frank Sinatra, how American amendments work, etc.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Plazmotic said:

Truth! I learned about so much from that show, such as: . . . . how American amendments work, etc.

That puts you ahead of 95+% of Americans. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I was never that into The Simpsons but I am aware that it is actually a really smart show. A bunch of the writers have advanced math, physics, chemistry, and neuroscience degrees. It's pretty interesting stuff! Plus they named their main character Homer, like. C'mon. 

3 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Here to follow along :D

tumblr_mzil57B0Cf1r1mr1po1_400.gif

Had to include my favorite: asian small-clawed otters. :D 

Cuuuuuuute! Otters are seriously winning that poll by a lot, lol. I guess I should've expected it. 

Challenge update:

Yesterday I ran (C25K kicked my butt), did one sun salutation (about 6 minutes), ate no flax, and worked on my paint by numbers and February nonfiction goals. 

So far today was not a running day so I did one sun salutation (I'm still shamefully weak) as well as a few twists and hip-openers and the GMB wrist stretches.

Spoiler

I have undiagnosed carpal tunnel or something in my right wrist and those GMB exercises are about the fastest way to calm it down. Usually one session is enough to make pain go away, but sometimes it takes two. I think I'll add it to my yoga practice and aim for 6 days a week, whether my wrists are angry or not. They could definitely stand to be strengthened and made more flexible. 

I attempted to drink my flax in straight water and it was pretty terrible. If I ever feel masochistic enough to attempt it again, I'd probably try it in less water so I can chug it faster. This means I need to start getting creative with ways to ingest it, since my current #1 is with granola and I don't want to eat that all the time. 

I haven't done anything for FSF yet today but it's not even 10am so I'm not too worried. 

• Like 5

I don't know anything about flax or whatever.
But what is the terrible part about drinking it with water? Is it the taste? (Can you add something to the water to drown it out?) Or texture? (maybe something with more texture than water might help here?)
Is it like something you can potentially mix into any meal maybe? So it can be like, well I'm eating this at the moment and I can add my flax with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Siferiax said:

I don't know anything about flax or whatever.
But what is the terrible part about drinking it with water? Is it the taste? (Can you add something to the water to drown it out?) Or texture? (maybe something with more texture than water might help here?)
Is it like something you can potentially mix into any meal maybe? So it can be like, well I'm eating this at the moment and I can add my flax with it.

I'm actually thinking exactly what you said, mix it into any meal maybe. I've had it on salads before and it's been fine, and tomorrow I know I'm making tortilla soup, so I'll see how I like it mixed into that. 

The terrible part of drinking it with water is, for me, the smell. It's not even a bad smell, it just smells... earthy? Nutty? Not at all like water. It's kind of weird because I've never been bothered by the smell when eating it any other way, though? The texture isn't that bad, just kind of grainy, but I don't really chew water anyway so it's not a big deal. I couldn't really taste it. But the smell made my mind think "Revolt!" Luckily that message didn't get passed to my stomach. 

And then of course since it's full of fiber after waiting a while to get my resolve up between the first few gulps and the second half of the glass, it thickened up a lot, so stirring it and trying to loosen it was weirding me out. It didn't really change the drinking experience, it was mostly just in my head. But yeah, not a super pleasant experience. 

• Like 3

I'm actually thinking exactly what you said, mix it into any meal maybe. I've had it on salads before and it's been fine, and tomorrow I know I'm making tortilla soup, so I'll see how I like it mixed into that. 

The terrible part of drinking it with water is, for me, the smell. It's not even a bad smell, it just smells... earthy? Nutty? Not at all like water. It's kind of weird because I've never been bothered by the smell when eating it any other way, though? The texture isn't that bad, just kind of grainy, but I don't really chew water anyway so it's not a big deal. I couldn't really taste it. But the smell made my mind think "Revolt!" Luckily that message didn't get passed to my stomach. 

And then of course since it's full of fiber after waiting a while to get my resolve up between the first few gulps and the second half of the glass, it thickened up a lot, so stirring it and trying to loosen it was weirding me out. It didn't really change the drinking experience, it was mostly just in my head. But yeah, not a super pleasant experience. 
Clip your nose and go?
I kid of course.

But yeah smell is a powerful thing.
Indeed try to mix it into other meals.
I'd say this means it's time for some experiments. Put on your science glasses and pull out your clipboard! :D

Sorry... But really try to make it fun ^^

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Siferiax said:

Put on your science glasses and pull out your clipboard! :D

Sorry... But really try to make it fun ^^

Don't be sorry... science is great fun! And I often utilize the suggestion "do it for science" for figuring out diet issues. That's how I finally made the connection that going to sleep dehydrated gives me nightmares and learned that a few tablespoons of freshly ground flax a week will keep my nails from cracking or chipping. Among many other discoveries. :D 

• Like 4