• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Wobbegong Twists and Turns

Honestly just curious  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Choose.

    • Otters
      11
    • Sea Turtles
      3
    • Penguins
      3
    • Whale Sharks
      4


Recommended Posts

On 2/5/2018 at 12:02 PM, Wobbegong said:

I almost put manta rays on the list! But too many options dilutes the results. Sea turtles are pretty freaking cool, though. 

If you ever get a chance to go to the big island of Hawaii, Highly recommend doing the night snorkel with the manta rays. It's on the top 5 things I've been able to do ever. 

 

(not from my trip, none of my photos turned out this well)

1%23Best+Manta+1+GRAYER+Cover%C2%A9Liqui

 

 

 

4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm actually thinking exactly what you said, mix it into any meal maybe. I've had it on salads before and it's been fine, and tomorrow I know I'm making tortilla soup, so I'll see how I like it mixed into that. 

 

Would it work like chia seeds in yogurt? or the pudding stuff people make? I've never had it before so not sure how it reacts with things. 

 

It looks interesting though, so was just doing some reading on Bonappetit... their suggestions are: "add ground flaxseed to muffin, pancake, or waffle batter, as well as to bread dough. Blend ground flaxseed into smoothies and juices, or use it to top hot or cold cereal."

 

The kitchn also has a lot of the same ideas... https://www.thekitchn.com/five-ways-to-eat-flaxseeds-99170

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another fish friend to follow!

 

i.giphy.com&s=8&h=a81514e2d326e53a883aff

 

I would love to see this every day, but I will settle for the manatees, tarpon, barracuda, snook, amber jack, and one very lost eagle ray that I got to observe today. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Toshimi said:

If you ever get a chance to go to the big island of Hawaii, Highly recommend doing the night snorkel with the manta rays. It's on the top 5 things I've been able to do ever. 

When I was in Maui, I went diving, and it was the first SCUBA dive I had ever done in a tropical environment. It was also the first dive I had ever done in clear water. I got certified in the Puget Sound area, which is world-renown for having the worst visibility all the time. Sigh. Anyway, Maui was super gorgeous, and I would love to go back and do more dives. Snorkling is not my favorite but I could maybe make an exception for manta rays. 

 

32 minutes ago, Toshimi said:

Would it work like chia seeds in yogurt? or the pudding stuff people make? I've never had it before so not sure how it reacts with things. 

 

It looks interesting though, so was just doing some reading on Bonappetit... their suggestions are: "add ground flaxseed to muffin, pancake, or waffle batter, as well as to bread dough. Blend ground flaxseed into smoothies and juices, or use it to top hot or cold cereal."

I have kind of a tumultuous relationship with yogurt and granola. It's not that I don't like them, just that I don't want to get tied to eating them every day to satisfy my flax intake. I also don't really want to bake since it'd take a lot of flax to get 1 tbsp per every muffin in a batch... but the juice idea is interesting. I'll try that tomorrow, I guess? 

 

9 minutes ago, Syren said:

Another fish friend to follow!

 

i.giphy.com&s=8&h=a81514e2d326e53a883aff

 

I would love to see this every day, but I will settle for the manatees, tarpon, barracuda, snook, amber jack, and one very lost eagle ray that I got to observe today. 

Whaaaaaaaat your day sounds amazing. Do you do a lot of diving? There aren't really any good places for it in my immediate area, the nearest is probably Monterey. I am super fond of the ocean though, so being able to do more diving is definitely on my list for final location. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wobbegong said:

Whaaaaaaaat your day sounds amazing. Do you do a lot of diving? There aren't really any good places for it in my immediate area, the nearest is probably Monterey. I am super fond of the ocean though, so being able to do more diving is definitely on my list for final location. 

 

No diving today unfortunately. I was attending an Artificial Reef workshop in FL and the venue had a manatee viewing area where all of the critters were congregating. Good vis today, and we also now know where all the best reefs are from each county touting their organism monitoring reports. :onthego:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Syren said:

No diving today unfortunately. I was attending an Artificial Reef workshop in FL and the venue had a manatee viewing area where all of the critters were congregating. Good vis today, and we also now know where all the best reefs are from each county touting their organism monitoring reports. :onthego:

Sounds awesome. Do you do conservation work or something? Some kind of marine bio research? I am 100% layman but hats off to people who have a head for science. :) I satisfy myself with reading the results and donating when I can, but it must be great to be more closely involved. Talk about living the dream! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

When I was in Maui, I went diving, and it was the first SCUBA dive I had ever done in a tropical environment. It was also the first dive I had ever done in clear water. I got certified in the Puget Sound area, which is world-renown for having the worst visibility all the time. Sigh. Anyway, Maui was super gorgeous, and I would love to go back and do more dives. Snorkling is not my favorite but I could maybe make an exception for manta rays. 

 

They do dives too for them, but I've heard the snorkeling is better, just that they rays tend to get closer to you. I think doing a dive would be fun too (other than not certified) ... and when I say snorkeling, its more... floating... you hang onto a giant piece of foam with pool noddles under your feet while the guides keep you in the area. 

 

The coral on the big island was pretty disappointing, the person on our snorkeling boat we took said they have lost something like 70% of their coral to sun bleaching :( 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toshimi said:

They do dives too for them, but I've heard the snorkeling is better, just that they rays tend to get closer to you. I think doing a dive would be fun too (other than not certified) ... and when I say snorkeling, its more... floating... you hang onto a giant piece of foam with pool noddles under your feet while the guides keep you in the area. 

That sounds fun! I have a problem with turning my head when I'm snorkeling, so my snorkel always floods. :rolleyes: I know how to clear it, of course, but it's annoying and kind of scary. Diving is easier. 

 

1 minute ago, Toshimi said:

The coral on the big island was pretty disappointing, the person on our snorkeling boat we took said they have lost something like 70% of their coral to sun bleaching :( 

Yeah, it's been pretty rough. There's great research going on right now in finding coral that are resistant to temperature changes and figuring out how to grow them quickly in a lab for transfer back into the ocean and hopefully repopulation, but in a lot of ways the damage that's been done can't really be fixed. It really makes me wanna sock climate change deniers in the mouth... people don't really think about what's under the surface of the ocean, but there's a lot going on out there that's painting a very clear picture of our future. We're in for some rough times. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wobbegong said:

Sounds awesome. Do you do conservation work or something? Some kind of marine bio research? I am 100% layman but hats off to people who have a head for science. :) I satisfy myself with reading the results and donating when I can, but it must be great to be more closely involved. Talk about living the dream! 

 

I work in permitting in regards to our Environmental Resources right now (don't get excited, as it is usually more heartbreaking than endearing at the moment). Always looking for the research ops, and always happy to chat science when anyone is interested. 

 

If you are in Monterrey, have you looked at any volunteer ops at the aquarium? Or sometimes colleges seek volunteers for certain types of research.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Syren said:

If you are in Monterey, have you looked at any volunteer ops at the aquarium? Or sometimes colleges seek volunteers for certain types of research.

Monterey is my nearest decent diving place, but I'm a little more than two hours drive away, so it'd be a rough commute for volunteering. I have looked into it extensively and would love to do it if I ever get my dream and live closer, but even then they have pretty strict requirements for dive volunteers since they get so many applicants. I'll look into the college volunteering, though, that sounds much more plausible! There are a ton of colleges much closer to me. And it's not that we don't have water or beaches, just that... they're not good for diving. There's either really intense currents, a lot of trash (not litter -- I'm talking sewage), or the area is private. Sigh. 

 

It's kind of obnoxious because there are actually a decent number of dive shops around, so you'd think people would be able to do it locally, but... they're all for classes (in dive tanks), equipment, and vacation booking. :rolleyes: The one nearest me actually offers boat dives but in the Channel Islands which is like... a six hour drive...? No thanks. And of course all of them recommend "local" dives -- at Monterey. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Belly rubs!!

giphy.gif.463a4a0da932b8ef0ef83b17d257921c.gif

Y'all are making me miss living by the ocean. We don't even have a decent aquarium in my city *pouts*

 

Good luck with your challenge! :)

 

omg, Stegastoma tickles! *squee!!!*

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flax + water = egg substitute

 

I mostly use flax in vegan baking, and when I make my own granola. I've also used it a few times in protein shakes. But basically just mixing it in with your normal food is probably one of the best ways to get more. It'd probably work great in a meatloaf or burger (when my dad made burgers, it was never just meat (turkey) in the patty, there'd be lots of seasoning and mushrooms, so much better than regular burgers). I could see it working in a stir fry too. 

 

 

We have a pretty cool aquarium in Baltimore, but it's been ages since I've visited. (It's the only aquarium I'm ever visited, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was always one of my favorite field trips as a kid.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Syren said:
3 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Belly rubs!!

giphy.gif.463a4a0da932b8ef0ef83b17d257921c.gif

Y'all are making me miss living by the ocean. We don't even have a decent aquarium in my city *pouts*

 

Good luck with your challenge! :)

omg, Stegastoma tickles! *squee!!!*

Shark petting is 100% on my bucket list. But idk how I'll manage it since most people kind of discourage touching the wildlife. Sigh. 

 

I've actually never been to the San Francisco Aquarium, which is waaaaay nearer to me than Monterey Bay. I feel very guilty about it, it was especially painful when I used to literally drive right by it on the way to work every day. I should do something about that. There is also the aquarium at the California Academy of Sciences and I have definitely been there. But it's just the bottom floor of the building. (First floor is fossils and earthquakes and rotating exhibit, upper floors are butterfly zone. The aquarium is basically in the basement.) So overall I'm very lucky with aquarium availability. 

 

If you ever feel like you're missing out, @Lateral Planet, MBA hosts a livestream of their big kelp exhibit, so you can tune in anytime. The sturgeon are my favorite: 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

flax + water = egg substitute

Is this your way of telling me I basically drank really watery raw egg whites this morning? No wonder I was grossed out. 

 

Quote

I mostly use flax in vegan baking, and when I make my own granola. I've also used it a few times in protein shakes. But basically just mixing it in with your normal food is probably one of the best ways to get more. It'd probably work great in a meatloaf or burger (when my dad made burgers, it was never just meat (turkey) in the patty, there'd be lots of seasoning and mushrooms, so much better than regular burgers). I could see it working in a stir fry too. 

Yeah, there's a bunch of research that shows it holds up through cooking, so that's not really the issue. The problem is I'm really picky about the foods that it naturally mixes in neatly with (smoothies, yoghurt, granola). But the obvious solution is to just mix it into other stuff, and tbh I think that won't be a problem. Like I said, I've had it on salads before; the only trouble is remembering to do it and following through. Which is hardly any trouble at all. 

 

Quote

We have a pretty cool aquarium in Baltimore, but it's been ages since I've visited. (It's the only aquarium I'm ever visited, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was always one of my favorite field trips as a kid.)

I want everyone to go to the aquarium more, but it can definitely get expensive. But aquariums are soooo cool. There's one in Atlanta that I really want to visit, I hear they have whale sharks. And of course the enormous one in Barcelona is on my bucket list as well, although I feel like it'd be really overwhelming. But shark tunnels, man. Sharks are so great. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Late to the party but night snorkeling with manta rays is now officially on my bucket list.

Welcome! We did kind of get off to a running start over here, didn't we? 

 

Yeah, that night snorkeling sounds like a lot of fun. Manta rays are so freakin cool! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Shark petting is 100% on my bucket list. But idk how I'll manage it since most people kind of discourage touching the wildlife. Sigh.

 

 

If you ever make it down to southern California, Aquarium of the Pacific has sharks you can pet. It's been years since I've been there.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/exhibits/shark_lagoon/

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Toshimi said:

If you ever make it down to southern California, Aquarium of the Pacific has sharks you can pet. It's been years since I've been there.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/exhibits/shark_lagoon/

!!!!

 

I have basically constant invitations to visit LA but I never go because being in LA is terrible. But maybe I will head down there just for this. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm I once had a t-shirt saying "I touched a leopard shark". Because I did, at the Aquarium at the Bay (I believe) in San Francisco.

We have one sea life zoo in my country. And probably a bunch of smaller ones.
But mostly we go to zoos for marine life as well.
My BF and I have year round tickets for our local zoo and they have quite a marine exhibit. Including a tunnel ^^ with sharks and turtles and such.
We love going there, except often you have to deal with screaming kids. Parents disregard the whole "keep your kids from screaming" sign obviously.
I know my BF is really a fan, I'm more into mammals myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My nutritionist prescribed me a mix of grated seeds (flax and don't know the name of the other two) into my porridge, but I don't grind them and i'm careful to chew them. It's nice because it's cruncy!

Also, when you 'do it for science' what data are you collecting? Because the discoveries you are making are unbelievable!

 

flax + water = egg substitute

 

I mostly use flax in vegan baking, and when I make my own granola. I've also used it a few times in protein shakes. But basically just mixing it in with your normal food is probably one of the best ways to get more. It'd probably work great in a meatloaf or burger (when my dad made burgers, it was never just meat (turkey) in the patty, there'd be lots of seasoning and mushrooms, so much better than regular burgers). I could see it working in a stir fry too. 

 

 

We have a pretty cool aquarium in Baltimore, but it's been ages since I've visited. (It's the only aquarium I'm ever visited, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was always one of my favorite field trips as a kid.)

I thought the same, but it looks I am late to the party. How do you use a flax egg to make granola? Can you share the recipe?

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

I thought the same, but it looks I am late to the party. How do you use a flax egg to make granola? Can you share the recipe?

For the granola, I don't mix it with water. I don't have a recipe, but It's part of the dry mix: oats, flax, wheat germ, sometimes seeds, sometimes dried coconut. And there might be other things depending on what flavor I'm trying to make. The wet mix is oil (normally melted butter substitute), spices, and maple syrup or molasses. Then you toss the dry mix with the wet mix, making sure everything is nicely coated. Flatten it out on a pan, and pop it in the oven at a low temperature. Check on it and mix it every 10 to 15 minutes until done. Though it can be hard to tell when it's done cause it will still be a little chewy until it cools all the way. There's a lot of different recipes online. I tried a few,  and then just put together what I thought worked to make a template of sorts.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Challenge update and then replies:

 

Yesterday the only FSF I did was painting. I'm fine with this. I've been working on this painting since before Thanksgiving and I'm finally closing in on the end. It's coming together nicely and looks pretty good so far! 

 

This morning was a run day and I just wanna say I'm super proud of myself. C25K basically has one workout per week for the first four weeks, repeated three times, and every time I transition from one week to the next the new amount of running is annoyingly tough. On Monday, I began week 4, which is run 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, run 5 minutes, walk 2.5 minutes, repeat, bookended by the usual 5-min warm-up and cool down. It sounds ridiculous and like seriously not a lot of running but last week was two repetitions of run 90s/walk 90s, run 3/walk3, and bumping up to five minutes was tough. On Monday I didn't manage either of the five minute runs. 

 

Today I told myself to run as slowly as I wanted and just focus on my breathing. The first five minute run was rough, but I persevered and made it through! The second was mentally much easier, because 1) I knew I had done it before,  2) it was the last section of running for the day, and 3) it was on the way back so I knew about how far I'd be running. So I got through all of the running without problems! I'll definitely be able to do it again Friday. 

 

Of course, next week begins the part of training where the amount of running increases every day, so... that'll be fun/miserable, I guess. Wish me luck! 

 

I had my healthy breakfast (holdover from last challenge) and am planning on flax with dinner. And, after talking to @Siferiax and @scalyfreak, I've decided to add another food challenge, which is "do not buy food that you know is crap." Because if it is around, I will eat it. If someone brings me crap food I'll give myself a pass for that, since my goal is not to "never let crappy food pass my lips again." (I like it, and never is a long time.) 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Hmmm I once had a t-shirt saying "I touched a leopard shark". Because I did, at the Aquarium at the Bay (I believe) in San Francisco.

I'll check it out! Leopard sharks are a local species, so I'm not surprised to hear the Aquarium by the Bay has some. They're also not particularly aggressive, so they'd be well suited to interactive exhibits, as long as they have a way to escape if they're not feeling up for the interaction. 

 

10 hours ago, Siferiax said:

We have one sea life zoo in my country. And probably a bunch of smaller ones.
But mostly we go to zoos for marine life as well.
My BF and I have year round tickets for our local zoo and they have quite a marine exhibit. Including a tunnel ^^ with sharks and turtles and such.
We love going there, except often you have to deal with screaming kids. Parents disregard the whole "keep your kids from screaming" sign obviously.
I know my BF is really a fan, I'm more into mammals myself.

Most zoos here also have aquarium exhibits, but they tend to be a bit smaller. If I just want to see fish, the zoo is a pretty overwhelming experience overall for a mediocre display. But zoos are great for outreach, education, and conservation, so I go to see the animals sometimes. 

 

I seriously wish we had "keep your kids from screaming" signs here. Every now and again a zoo will have sign up for a particularly sensitive animal requesting everyone in general be a little quieter (bat exhibits, for example) but no one ever specifically calls out children. And they are loud

 

10 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

My nutritionist prescribed me a mix of grated seeds (flax and don't know the name of the other two) into my porridge, but I don't grind them and i'm careful to chew them. It's nice because it's crunchy!

I've read that we're not really able to digest whole flax seeds to get the nutrients out of them because their hulls are so tough to break. Kind of like eating corn. But maybe since you're so careful about chewing it works ok? Ground flax is more gritty than crunchy but it has a good flavor and I feel confident I'm getting something out of it! Grinding them is pretty easy, too, since I have a mini cuisinart that does the job in just a few seconds. I tried a mortar and pestle once and it would never have worked, lol. 

 

10 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Also, when you 'do it for science' what data are you collecting? Because the discoveries you are making are unbelievable!

Mostly it just comes down to being aware of what's happening and making connections. With the flax and my nails, I've had very thin nails that chip and tear all my life, and my nail beds are always a mess of dry, flakey skin. Within a week or two of starting to eat ground flax regularly, they were smooth and strong, and no more chips or tears. At the time I hadn't changed anything else in my diet or general routine, so I figured it had to be the flax. (It also makes my skin nicer.) To confirm, I stopped taking flax and after about a month my nails were back to the way they had been before. 

 

As far as nightmares, I'm lucky in that I almost never get them. I've always thought it was kind of odd, because my mom has nightmares almost every night, so I'd think I'd have at least a few more than... one every 2-5 years or so? Maybe? But I tend to have a pretty agitated sleep if I take a nap in the afternoon and get too hot, and recently I was kind of at a point where I realized I needed to be tracking my water intake, because when I hang out at home I don't drink enough. I had a bad nightmare around that time and realized on reflection that I'd only had about 30oz of water the previous day! So I did some "tests" and sure enough, when I drink ridiculously low amounts of water I have bad dreams. This also explains my mother, who is an alcoholic and goes to bed drunk nightly. She gets most of her fluids from coffee and wine. 

 

A couple of other things I've noticed have to do with bowel movements, the effects of afternoon caffeine on my system, sweating and BO, mood, energy levels, all sorts of stuff. It can be difficult to tell for sure since it's not like I eat the same thing every day, so "control" data is tough, but generally speaking if I do something unusual and notice an unusual effect, I'll try repeating the experiment to confirm. Sometimes I prove myself wrong, and the correlation was not indicative of causation, but a lot of times I'm right. Either way I learn something new! 

 

I don't always use the things I learn to great effect, and often still make bad choices even knowing they'll mess me up, or fail to make good choices even though I know some of the benefits. But at least I know. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Your goals sound a lot like mine this go :) Where are you planning to go with the AMTRAK trip?

Ribbon eel yay! Those things are so freakin beautiful. Shame they're too delicate to be kept in captivity reliably, I hope they survive the changing oceans. 

 

I'll check out your challenge! I'm branching out this challenge and visiting people in other guilds like a grown up, so I'll stop by. 

 

I'm sort of settling on the Zephyr Line tour since it's fairly convenient and stops in a bunch of cool places but the line ends in Chicago and I was kind of hoping to get all the way to Boston and a few other New England cities. It turns out Chicago to Boston is particularly unpopular route, though, there's no easy way to make that trip. I might do Chicago to NYC or DC and then hit up Boston from there, I guess. But the whole AMTRAK planning is turning out to be a lot less convenient than I had hoped, because there are way too many options and prices change all the time depending on tons of factors so it's not very easy to get estimates in advance. I'm gearing up to call them about it and see if a live human can sort me out. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now