Honestly just curious  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Choose.

• Otters
    • Sea Turtles
    • Penguins
    • Whale Sharks

3 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Hopefully not getting sick, but that has been the answer a lot lately...

Both of my parents have been sick recently so I'm trying to be extra vigilant, but honestly aside from fatigue I have no other symptoms of illness. No sore throat, coughing, fever, aches or pains, nausea, nothing. Just... so... sleepy... 

Before anyone asks, I definitely have not been exposed to mono, so it's not that. Honestly I feel more like I'm having an intense anemic episode, but I haven't done any major bloodletting recently? I was off my iron supplement for a while so I'm back on it now as of the beginning of this week. It might just take a while to rebuild my ferritin stores. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Both of my parents have been sick recently so I'm trying to be extra vigilant, but honestly aside from fatigue I have no other symptoms of illness. No sore throat, coughing, fever, aches or pains, nausea, nothing. Just... so... sleepy... 

Before anyone asks, I definitely have not been exposed to mono, so it's not that. Honestly I feel more like I'm having an intense anemic episode, but I haven't done any major bloodletting recently? I was off my iron supplement for a while so I'm back on it now as of the beginning of this week. It might just take a while to rebuild my ferritin stores. 

From what I know, if you have an iron deficiency, it can take a couple months to get back to normal levels. Though I assume that depends on how low it was.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

From what I know, if you have an iron deficiency, it can take a couple months to get back to normal levels. Though I assume that depends on how low it was.

I've been working on it for years, but I'm kind of terrible about it. I take iron until I feel really good and then stop (because I feel great! Why take it!) and then it starts to fall again, so when it gets to a certain point I can't help but notice and start taking it again. I'll stop feeling symptomatic in a couple of weeks and start feeling great in a couple months, probably. 

It's a mess. I've never had a healthy level of ferritin since I started getting it measured five years ago. Apparently I don't get any iron out of my diet at all. I seem to get the bare minimum amount of iron for circulatory health, but I don't naturally store any unless I hammer my body with it. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

I've been working on it for years, but I'm kind of terrible about it. I take iron until I feel really good and then stop (because I feel great! Why take it!) and then it starts to fall again, so when it gets to a certain point I can't help but notice and start taking it again. I'll stop feeling symptomatic in a couple of weeks and start feeling great in a couple months, probably. 

It's a mess. I've never had a healthy level of ferritin since I started getting it measured five years ago. Apparently I don't get any iron out of my diet at all. I seem to get the bare minimum amount of iron for circulatory health, but I don't naturally store any unless I hammer my body with it. :rolleyes:

I have the same problem with making sure I take things like my eyedrops daily :/ I'm feeling good now, why not put it off? It definitely can mess with you if you're not getting enough iron otherwise though. I hope you get enough rest and feel better

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

It definitely can mess with you if you're not getting enough iron otherwise though. I hope you get enough rest and feel better

Yeah. It definitely can be bad enough for me that I have no rationale to get complacent, and yet... it always seems to happen... 

Anemia, in conjunction with exercise induced asthma, also makes running kind of a problem for me. I always feel like my legs could go on forever, if my lungs would just work properly. Being bad at breathing sure is a pain in the butt. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Siferiax said:

I hear that you should make "take iron supplements daily" a permanent challenge goal ;)

I have it set as one of my habits to track on Strides, and since setting it up there I haven't missed a day. So... I'll just keep doing that indefinitely. 

I went for a run today but it was absolutely terrible, so I'm thinking I'll just repeat this C25K week. There's no point in forcing myself to progress when I can't meet the current benchmark. 

This morning the generic warning light came on in my car. This seems to be the light for all of the non-essential system failures, but it's still a pain in my butt. Arrgh. 

• Like 4

I have it set as one of my habits to track on Strides, and since setting it up there I haven't missed a day. So... I'll just keep doing that indefinitely. 

I went for a run today but it was absolutely terrible, so I'm thinking I'll just repeat this C25K week. There's no point in forcing myself to progress when I can't meet the current benchmark. 

This morning the generic warning light came on in my car. This seems to be the light for all of the non-essential system failures, but it's still a pain in my butt. Arrgh. 
It's a good idea to get the car looked at to find out why the light's on; hopefully it's nothing though.

Repeating the week is a good idea if you're having trouble with it right now, that was what my chiropractor had me do anytime it seemed like my knee was getting too stressed from the next challenge in C25K

Habit trackers are a modern marvel sometimes, long as you stick with them

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NightWatcher13 said:

It's a good idea to get the car looked at to find out why the light's on; hopefully it's nothing though.

Yeah, I'll take it in this week. Still a pain in my butt, and a potentially pricey one at that. 

Repeating the week is a good idea if you're having trouble with it right now, that was what my chiropractor had me do anytime it seemed like my knee was getting too stressed from the next challenge in C25K

Yeah. My lungs only adapt so quickly, and I think last time I did C25K I had some trouble around this week. There's no point in rushing it or forcing anything -- it's not a race, after all. Better to take it slow and avoid accident or injury. 

Habit trackers are a modern marvel sometimes, long as you stick with them

They are seriously amazing -- as long as you let them help you. I have discovered that it is imperative that I choose a time for alarms to go off when I am 1) at home and 2) not likely to be in the middle of something urgent (like cooking) or else they will not be helpful. But I'm figuring out what works for me, so that's all to the good so far! 

• Like 3

I would blame some sinister magnetic field by a supervillain!

I struggled this morning too with my run, to the point I couldn't do 1m run drills!

But then I managed a 8m slow run, and I was impressed!

Take it easy, don't hurt yourself, and if the supervillain is waiting for you at next challenge re-doing this week will out-run them in the long run.

doctor_who___run_you_clever_boy____and_remember__by_firedragonmatty-d5qefsd.jpg

• Like 3

Me: I just need to be really mindful about purchases and my savings will increase much faster. 
TOMS: Whale shoes
Me: ................

They're SO CUTE you guys WHY
They are so cute!! wanna avoid buying them? When I read whale shoes, for a moment I thought 'wouldn't be illegal to fabricate shoes with whale skin?' then I was ' that's Wobbe, it can be' then I followed the link and was 'I want a pair' :)
Yes, I admit I need to go to sleep zzz
  • Haha 2

Hahaha no I would not be promoting things made out of whale by-products unless it was like... Inuit art or something. Native peoples sustainably using the whole animal is ok by me, but a commercially produced whaleskin shoe would not fly. 

The shoes are super cute, but I worry they'd be too narrow for my feet, and a cursory glance at reviews suggests the shoes fall apart pretty quickly. Boo. :/ 

• Like 3

On 2/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, Wobbegong said:

Me: I just need to be really mindful about purchases and my savings will increase much faster. 

TOMS: Whale shoes

Me: ................

They're SO CUTE you guys WHY

I can't say anything; I just bought a bunch of D&D and MtG stuff 'cause new books came out and I needed new card sleeves... but I didn't need THOSE SHINY AWESOME card sleeves... or the special pre-order of Colville's book that comes with an ancient ruby dragon mini ^^; so zero judgement here on the super adorable whale shoes. I'm sorry it sounds like they fall apart easily though :/ 

So how'd week 0 go for you all said and done?

• Like 3

On 2/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, Butternut said:

I wish I could wear flat shoes. 

Theyre so cute!

Why can you not wear flat shoes that sounds terrible

Do you just live in heels all the time?? I would be so unhappy. I only have two pairs of shoes that aren't zero-drop, one pair of brown oxfords and one pair black pumps. I only wear the pumps to job interviews and especially special occasions, and the oxfords to every other sort-of-old-fashioned dressy event. Otherwise I have a pair of pointy black flats for looking nice, those Lem's boots I got last challenge for heavy duty tromping, a pair of flip flops that cut welts into my feet so I only wear very short distances (like to take out the trash), and my toe shoes for running. And a pair of slippers/moccasins because cold toes are sad toes. 

I love the way heels look and walking in them makes me feel so powerful, but it's just not worth the damage they do to your feet! 

14 minutes ago, NightWatcher13 said:

I can't say anything; I just bought a bunch of D&D and MtG stuff 'cause new books came out and I needed new card sleeves... but I didn't need THOSE SHINY AWESOME card sleeves... or the special pre-order of Colville's book that comes with an ancient ruby dragon mini ^^; so zero judgement here on the super adorable whale shoes. I'm sorry it sounds like they fall apart easily though :/ 

Hahaha, you know, I just told my friend today "It's good to be frugal and manage your money, but it's also good to buy things that make you happy if you can afford them." I'm still thinking about the whale shoes, because they are so adorable, but it seems like a shoe that falls apart quickly is really just not ideal. :/  I'm trying to only buy clothes that I 1) love and 2) will get years of use out of. 

But seriously as noted above I did just buy a new pair of shoes last challenge so maybe I should cool it for a hot minute here lol. 

14 minutes ago, NightWatcher13 said:

So how'd week 0 go for you all said and done?

Yes! Recap time! Let's see. Spoilers just for length, feel free to quote as needed. 

Spoiler

Nutrition:

1tbsp ground flax 4 days/week - I think I did this twice, so I will definitely need to step my game up here. 

Breakfast - Not a problem! 7/7

Grocery store - Once/week goal 100% met! I'll probably go again tomorrow morning, since I'm basically out of breakfast food at this point. 

Exercise: 

C25K - I went on all the prescribed runs, but I only actually did well on the Wednesday one. And although it felt friggin amazing at the time and I was super aware of my breathing the whole way through, that event neatly coincides with the onset of my exhaustion last week (who knew asthma attacks caused fatigue?! not me!), which spiked again after my Saturday run. As a result, I am convinced that I need to go see my GP and bring up the fact that I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma in 7th grade, given a sample inhaler on the spot, and then never heard a doctor mention it again... 

I'll be repeating the running week this week but in light of the asthma revelation I'm going to be really strict with myself and STOP RUNNING if I have any trouble breathing. ...That sounded way less obvious in my head. 

Yoga - I did yoga Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. I was aiming for six days a week so I didn't quite make it, but I basically didn't move at all Thursday or Friday because... yeeeeah.

LUYL: 

FSF - I worked on painting and writing projects this week, but I didn't actually finish anything. I think I need to make this goal more clear and set real deadlines for myself. So, without further ado: 

Week 1, work on stuff. 

End of Week 2, have painting finished. 

End of Week 3, have minis finished. 

End of 4WC, have the stupid gift fic that never dies finished. 

Overall this week was full of discovery and I mostly did pretty well, but there is definite room for improvement. And medical intervention. I'll call my GP tomorrow (along with calls to the mechanic, the pharmacy, and HR, because apparently it never rains but it pours). 

• Like 4

OKay, so I missed alot.

I hear you on the check engine light. I have it on too. I Know what mine is, there is just no funds to fix it atm. So driving around with a light on it is.

Sounds like you are doing good. Did you take your Iron today?

*hugs* Here is to hoping tomorrow is better

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

OKay, so I missed alot.

You were busy, it happens. (And don't tell me you were slacking. You were busy resting. It's legit.) 

I hear you on the check engine light. I have it on too. I Know what mine is, there is just no funds to fix it atm. So driving around with a light on it is.

Mine is the "generic warning," not the check engine, thankfully. It's way too anxiety-inducing to ignore it and I do have the funds to fix it even though spending them in this way makes me really grouchy. But hopefully it will turn out to have been a really minor problem and I can relax. 

Sounds like you are doing good. Did you take your Iron today?

I take it at night to avoid nausea side effects but I took it last night! I am on an eight-day streak so far. At this point I'm honestly more concerned about the asthma, since it's basically completely untreated. :/ 

*hugs* Here is to hoping tomorrow is better

Thanks! So far I'm off to a bit of a wobbly start but we'll see. Things may shape up. I have a concrete list of things to do, so even if those are a little anxiety-inducing once they're done I'll feel very proud of myself. 

• Like 3

Me: I'll just take my car to the dealer to get fixed. Then I can take BART out to my friend's place and hang out with her until my car is ready. 

Dad: *angry face* You don't have to take your car all the way to Berkeley! Here, take it to this mechanic, they're great and right here in town! 

Me: ...Their website says they don't service Fiats. 

Dad: Call them and ask! 

Me: Ooookay. *calls* They say "We do not work on Fiats At All." I'll just do what I originally planned...

Dad: No! There has to be a mechanic that will work on your car in this county! *pulls out computer* So-and-so's Fiat Service! ...Oh, in Redwood City, no. 

Me: It's not like Berkeley is a problem? 

Dad: *glares* 
Me: Ok, ok, I'll check yelp, jesus. 

This is turning out to be a lot of work for a generic warning light, you guys. 

• Like 3

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

After all that effort, I get in my car just to confirm I don't have a stupid easy fix like a light out that I can deal with at home, and my dash tells me "change engine oil." ALL THIS CONFUSION OVER A OIL CHANGE FOR REAL?!?! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

You were busy, it happens. (And don't tell me you were slacking. You were busy resting. It's legit.) 

In spirit of full disclosure, I think I had like 4+ hours of Stardew Valley video game yesterday...So yeah.. The one defense I have is that Hubby said it was okay since my homework was done and it was my birthday, but still. Serious bum here.

9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Mine is the "generic warning," not the check engine, thankfully. It's way too anxiety-inducing to ignore it and I do have the funds to fix it even though spending them in this way makes me really grouchy. But hopefully it will turn out to have been a really minor problem and I can relax. 

My car is like... 10+ years old. Its only got one light for this. I wish I had the funds, but we are thin right now, so yeah it waits till tax return comes back.

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

After all that effort, I get in my car just to confirm I don't have a stupid easy fix like a light out that I can deal with at home, and my dash tells me "change engine oil." ALL THIS CONFUSION OVER A OIL CHANGE FOR REAL?!?! 

OMG... LOL,  I find this funny. I am sorry, I shouldn't but I do. I also want to swap you for an oil change vs both front axles.

At least its an easy thing?

• Like 3

In spirit of full disclosure, I think I had like 4+ hours of Stardew Valley video game yesterday...So yeah.. The one defense I have is that Hubby said it was okay since my homework was done and it was my birthday, but still. Serious bum here.

That definitely counts as rest. 100%. And in full disclosure, I gave some serious consideration to spending my weekend playing Pokemon, but ended up reading fanfiction instead. You're in the clear, Bean. 

My car is like... 10+ years old. Its only got one light for this. I wish I had the funds, but we are thin right now, so yeah it waits till tax return comes back.

My car is a high-tech baby and it makes me feel old because I definitely am not getting as much out of it as I could be. :rolleyes: But at least it generally tells me specifically what's wrong. Sorry to hear funds are tight! That's never any fun D: But tax returns will be back soon, I hope?? 

OMG... LOL,  I find this funny. I am sorry, I shouldn't but I do. I also want to swap you for an oil change vs both front axles.

At least its an easy thing?

Totally reasonable to laugh. I laughed with a mix of frustration and relief when I found out. I have a hard time with oil changes -- I never know when I need one. I was initially instructed "every two years or ten thousand miles, whichever comes first." Well... it turns out I don't drive very far very often, so I hit two years well before 10k, and got my oil changed as instructed. Penzoil put a little date sticker in my window so I'd know for next time, but then I took my car in for service and they removed my Penzoil sticker! :( It hasn't been two years since then, but I did finally pass ten thousand miles, so I guess my car decided it was time again? I feel like a failed adult relying on my car to tell me when it needs an oil change, but it's definitely not as clear cut as it could be! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

That definitely counts as rest. 100%. And in full disclosure, I gave some serious consideration to spending my weekend playing Pokemon, but ended up reading fanfiction instead. You're in the clear, Bean. 

Thanks, the other problem with this having happened is now I want to play daily, timing is not agreeing with this.

My car is a high-tech baby and it makes me feel old because I definitely am not getting as much out of it as I could be. :rolleyes: But at least it generally tells me specifically what's wrong. Sorry to hear funds are tight! That's never any fun D: But tax returns will be back soon, I hope?? 

We are okay for day to day for a bit. Its the big things that are tight. We should be okay in about 10 days or so, so my car should be better by the end of the month, its just really fun having a car that might not stop exactly where you tell it to, so I have to plan ahead with it. I kinda have to fear getting a new car... I don't really want a space ship kinda thing. But I won't have a choice by the time we are ready to do someting about it.

Totally reasonable to laugh. I laughed with a mix of frustration and relief when I found out. I have a hard time with oil changes -- I never know when I need one. I was initially instructed "every two years or ten thousand miles, whichever comes first." Well... it turns out I don't drive very far very often, so I hit two years well before 10k, and got my oil changed as instructed. Penzoil put a little date sticker in my window so I'd know for next time, but then I took my car in for service and they removed my Penzoil sticker! :( It hasn't been two years since then, but I did finally pass ten thousand miles, so I guess my car decided it was time again? I feel like a failed adult relying on my car to tell me when it needs an oil change, but it's definitely not as clear cut as it could be! 

Don't feel bad. My car tells me too. Its got this little window that usually tells me how many miles I have till I am out of gas. Well, when I need an oil change and it beeps and says "10 % oil life, change soon." When it gets to 1% I get a "1% oil life. CHANGE NOW%." So your not the only one who waits for the car to say something.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I kinda have to fear getting a new car... I don't really want a space ship kinda thing. But I won't have a choice by the time we are ready to do someting about it.

My car is about as cheap and featureless as new cars come and it is a space ship. But most of the time I can ignore it, and some of the things it does are actually helpful! Some things are more just cute, like it warns me there might be ice on the roads when it's 37° outside or colder. So sweet. Sometimes it freaks me out like when I get down to 1/16th tank of gas it beeps at me frantically, which is terrifying when you are on the freeway and not expecting your car to start flipping its shit. But as a result of the generic warning light debacle I found out I can set it to warn me if I'm driving too fast! So that's cool! If I can figure out how! :) (My car did not come with a manual. The manual is online. Sigh.) 

Anyway, cars are confusing, but if you can hold out for another couple of years we'll have transitioned to driverless cars and then you won't have to worry about it at all! 

• Like 3

Challenge update: 

Monday was terrible! :) I did not run. I did not eat breakfast. I did not go to the grocery store. I did not eat flax. I bought a soda (crap!food) and drank it. 

I did do yoga. I did work on my painting a little. I did call my doctor, deal with HR, and get my car fixed. 

Tuesday has been only just slightly better so far! I did not run, but I went for a long walk. I did not do yoga. I bought a sbux latte (no problem) and a slice of lemon pound cake (crap!food) and had them for breakfast. Very much boo. 

• Like 5