Honestly just curious  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Choose.

• Otters
    • Sea Turtles
    • Penguins
    • Whale Sharks

4 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

We all have shit days. Here's to getting back on track!

Thank you! :) I am trying to remind myself that progress is never linear, at least not in the short term -- there will always be ups and downs, setbacks and periods of exquisite success. As long as the balance trends in the right direction, I'll be ok, but sometimes the down days hit harder than others. 

Usually regular exercise is my key to mental/emotional fortitude, but I'm having a bit of a hiccough there right now, so that's probably why everything else is such a mess. Should be sorted by tomorrow evening, so in the meantime I'll just keep at it and hope for the best. 

• Like 4

On 2/12/2018 at 12:02 AM, Wobbegong said:

Why can you not wear flat shoes that sounds terrible

Not the original poster for this question, but I have a similar issue (or I would totally go buy those super cute whale shoes too :P ).  I wore mostly heels, but then I converted to flats after starting to do more running.  I had these simple, cheap ballet flats that basically were like a covering for your barefoot.   Little known to me was that wearing a flat with no support on flat feet would end up being just as damaging as wearing heels--or moreso because it took me over a year to figure out what the problem was.  By the time I figured it out, I had developed sciatica in my right hip and my feet ached constantly.  My feet are much better now that I don't aggravate them with super flat shoes, but I tend to stay away from completely flat shoes unless they're sneakers with some kind of arch support that I can stuff in.  I don't wear stilettos, but I need like a 1"-1.5" drop to feel comfortable.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, Wobbegong said:

At this point I'm honestly more concerned about the asthma, since it's basically completely untreated. :/ 

Someone I know mentioned that catnip is really good for treating asthma.  He said he rolled it up and smoked it or made it into tea.  I have no idea if this is medically sound or not, but a quick google said "Another useful aspect of this plant is its usability for people who suffer from respiratory problems. Here, catnip also acts as a natural decongestant, clearing one's airways and calming any infections or inflammations which may be affecting the areas in question. Therefore, asthma and bronchitis patients can only benefit from catnip tea consumption."  ...So maybe there's some truth to it?       

3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Usually regular exercise is my key to mental/emotional fortitude, but I'm having a bit of a hiccough there right now, so that's probably why everything else is such a mess. Should be sorted by tomorrow evening, so in the meantime I'll just keep at it and hope for the best. 

Sorry about your bad day!  *hugs*  

hugging-fish.gif

• Like 4

Penguins, everytime. 

I recently had a dream where I ran away to live with them... needless to say I was disappointed when I woke up.

Good luck with your challenge. I love this idea of finishing projects in February. Has this come from somewhere? I'm a nightmare for unfinished projects... 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

Not the original poster for this question, but I have a similar issue (or I would totally go buy those super cute whale shoes too :P ).  I wore mostly heels, but then I converted to flats after starting to do more running.  I had these simple, cheap ballet flats that basically were like a covering for your barefoot.   Little known to me was that wearing a flat with no support on flat feet would end up being just as damaging as wearing heels--or moreso because it took me over a year to figure out what the problem was.  By the time I figured it out, I had developed sciatica in my right hip and my feet ached constantly.  My feet are much better now that I don't aggravate them with super flat shoes, but I tend to stay away from completely flat shoes unless they're sneakers with some kind of arch support that I can stuff in.  I don't wear stilettos, but I need like a 1"-1.5" drop to feel comfortable.

Fair enough. I have the strongest arches of anyone I know and it seems like wearing "barefoot" shoes just makes them stronger. I am very lucky in that regard -- although sometimes when I wear flats and you can clearly see the arch above the top of the shoe it doesn't really feel that way. (Unfortunately I also have extremely tight calves so my foot flexion isn't great. Sigh.)  

Someone I know mentioned that catnip is really good for treating asthma.  He said he rolled it up and smoked it or made it into tea.  I have no idea if this is medically sound or not, but a quick google said "Another useful aspect of this plant is its usability for people who suffer from respiratory problems. Here, catnip also acts as a natural decongestant, clearing one's airways and calming any infections or inflammations which may be affecting the areas in question. Therefore, asthma and bronchitis patients can only benefit from catnip tea consumption."  ...So maybe there's some truth to it?       

... I'm kind of researched out right now after diving into Amino Acid Therapy with @Butternut but I will look into this. And also ask my doctor about it when I see her tomorrow. 

Sorry about your bad day!  *hugs*  

hugging-fish.gif

SO CUTE OMG

~See the thing in the reef with the big shiny teeth THAT'S A MORAY~ 

I keep hearing stories about divers who make friends with eels like this but it really freaks me out because they have really filthy mouths. If you get an eel bite you've got like a 98% chance of getting an infection, that's scary. 

2 minutes ago, Blethan said:

Penguins, everytime. 

I recently had a dream where I ran away to live with them... needless to say I was disappointed when I woke up.

YUSSS Another penguin person! I was sad with them only having one supporter. Good for you! But sorry about having to wake up from that dream, sounds terrible. 

tumblr_nxeji8PcLA1rss05ao2_540.gif

2 minutes ago, Blethan said:

Good luck with your challenge. I love this idea of finishing projects in February. Has this come from somewhere? I'm a nightmare for unfinished projects... 

It comes from tumblr, I'm not sure it's widely caught on. Let's see... Finish Shit February

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Tuesday isn't over Wobbegong, you can still get some of your goals in. 

Thank you for the reminder, Bean! I'll go stretch right now, and I know there is a salad in my dinner future so I will plan on adding flax. :) As for FSF... my mind is being pulled in like four different directions right now and all of them are new projects to start, not things to finish, but maybe I'll go with it and tug on one of those strings. 

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

(just a friendly reminder that There is still time to do better)

HAHAHA this 100% reminds me of that daily alarm I had... "Plenty of time to do better (OR SNOOZE)" :D I should put that alarm back on my phone, hahaha! 

• Like 3

Stretching done. Flax done. I can maybe swing a few minutes of project stuff but after dinner I am suddenly very sleepy, and I'd rather not stay up as late as I have been recently if I can avoid it. It makes waking up early to run so much harder. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Is there a correlation between strong arches and shit calves because I feel like that would apply to me as well.

A cursory search of google is giving me nothing but I have always assumed it's a situation where my feet are handling more than their fair share of the burden and my calves are getting away with laziness. I have no proof or scientifical backing for that, though. Although... since I got my boots, I've noticed that ankle support seems to force my calves to work harder. So maybe there really is a connection there? 

• Like 3

A cursory search of google is giving me nothing but I have always assumed it's a situation where my feet are handling more than their fair share of the burden and my calves are getting away with laziness. I have no proof or scientifical backing for that, though. Although... since I got my boots, I've noticed that ankle support seems to force my calves to work harder. So maybe there really is a connection there? 
I've literally never thought about it before but when you said you had great arches and tight calves I was like yo same I get massages once a month and stretch those things like a mother and I can't get them to ease up at all lol... I've always blamed running but I really have no idea.
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I've literally never thought about it before but when you said you had great arches and tight calves I was like yo same I get massages once a month and stretch those things like a mother and I can't get them to ease up at all lol... I've always blamed running but I really have no idea.

I am literally in the exact same boat except daily foam rolling (when I'm being good) instead of monthly massage. I also stretch like crazy, but nothing seems to  help. It's terrible. I also have always blamed running -- I used to play soccer when I was younger, and now running and long-distance hiking are basically my go-tos -- but I really also do not know. Like even right now I haven't run since Saturday (although I went for a walk today) and I just did some stretching and they're still stiff and grumpy.  

I will note this does not affect flexibility for me. I can significantly surpass "touching my toes" both standing and sitting. I have always assumed this is because my torso is unusually long for my height, so it makes up the difference. 

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, should I ask?? 

• Like 2

I am literally in the exact same boat except daily foam rolling (when I'm being good) instead of monthly massage. I also stretch like crazy, but nothing seems to  help. It's terrible. I also have always blamed running -- I used to play soccer when I was younger, and now running and long-distance hiking are basically my go-tos -- but I really also do not know. Like even right now I haven't run since Saturday (although I went for a walk today) and I just did some stretching and they're still stiff and grumpy.  

I will note this does not affect flexibility for me. I can significantly surpass "touching my toes" both standing and sitting. I have always assumed this is because my torso is unusually long for my height, so it makes up the difference. 

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, should I ask?? 
Mee too on the boat! My pt prescribed to go barefeet on the bottom step of the stare, and stand strething the calf. It's basically standing relaxed, such a difficult exercise tho! It was working when I did it daily, but not sure it's possible now that I have no stairs. Communal stairs barefeet are not exactly attracting
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Thank you for the reminder, Bean! I'll go stretch right now, and I know there is a salad in my dinner future so I will plan on adding flax. :) As for FSF... my mind is being pulled in like four different directions right now and all of them are new projects to start, not things to finish, but maybe I'll go with it and tug on one of those strings. 

HAHAHA this 100% reminds me of that daily alarm I had... "Plenty of time to do better (OR SNOOZE)" :D I should put that alarm back on my phone, hahaha! 

Not going to lie, the alarm is what I thought of when I posted this. And I understand the being tugged and not wanting to work on the current projects. I need to start seeds today (They are way behind), so maybe I will try ot do that with everything else we have going on.

So see, the day turned out okay after all.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Mee too on the boat! My pt prescribed to go barefeet on the bottom step of the stare, and stand strething the calf. It's basically standing relaxed, such a difficult exercise tho! It was working when I did it daily, but not sure it's possible now that I have no stairs. Communal stairs barefeet are not exactly attracting

This is the exercise where you hang your heels over a ledge and push down? I do that every day, but it really doesn't... seem to help much? It feels good, but it doesn't loosen my calves up at all. If you have no stairs, you can do it standing on a chair or a couch or if you have a raised hearth by your fireplace (if you have one of those) they work too. Does the exercise make a big difference for you? 

8 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

I received this in my email: https://runtothedeep.com/
You probably saw it already, but it fits the running goal and your love for the see creatures :)

I hadn't seen this but it looks so cool!!! And it says you can walk it! (I definitely will not be able to run a 10k by March 9 or even March 18. By the end of April, maybe.) So I am totally signing up. This looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing!!! <3 <3 <3 

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Not going to lie, the alarm is what I thought of when I posted this. And I understand the being tugged and not wanting to work on the current projects. I need to start seeds today (They are way behind), so maybe I will try ot do that with everything else we have going on.

So see, the day turned out okay after all.

Mostly only because of your prompting. I'm having another off day this morning -- so far this challenge hasn't been very good for my cardio goals! But even though the doctor's office receptionist lady said I could keep running, I really don't want to until I have appropriate medication. My thinking has been thoroughly brought around on the subject. Breathing is kind of important. 

Hopefully my appointment tonight will result in some corticosteroids and I can get back to running tomorrow. If that's the case, I'll run Thursday and Saturday this week, to make up the two terrible runs from last week, and then proceed to Week 5. It's annoying to get behind like this, but I'm also kind of excited to finally have the push I needed to get my butt to the doctor? I have high hopes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Mostly only because of your prompting. I'm having another off day this morning -- so far this challenge hasn't been very good for my cardio goals! But even though the doctor's office receptionist lady said I could keep running, I really don't want to until I have appropriate medication. My thinking has been thoroughly brought around on the subject. Breathing is kind of important. 

Glad to help. I have had off days too and you guys normally set me back on the track. I understand the cardio goal, maybe give yourself a pass until you see the doctor. Because Breathing is kinda  a hard habit to kick.

4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Hopefully my appointment tonight will result in some corticosteroids and I can get back to running tomorrow. If that's the case, I'll run Thursday and Saturday this week, to make up the two terrible runs from last week, and then proceed to Week 5. It's annoying to get behind like this, but I'm also kind of excited to finally have the push I needed to get my butt to the doctor? I have high hopes. 

Good luck tonight. Hopefully the doctor has something that can help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tateman said:

Ask all the questions at the doctors :) Hopefully, you get all the answers too ;)

Questions were asked, answers were lacking. I did ask about the whole feet/calves thing but GP just said "Uh...I can recommend a PT if you want...?" Not her area of expertise, I think. She did establish that I don't have a blood clot and I'm not suffering arterial failure or anything. So. 

But I got an inhaler! I'm so excited you guys. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. (I was so excited I went straight to the pharmacy from the doctor's office even though I knew they wouldn't be ready and waited for almost an hour because I knew they wouldn't be open early enough tomorrow morning.) 

Also the other medication I'm on keeps getting plated up in larger and larger vials. I do not know why. When I first started it I got it in a 1" diameter pill bottle. Then it went up to 1.5" and got taller. Now it's 2". The dose has remained the same. V mysterious. 

Anyway, overall success!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

But I got an inhaler! I'm so excited you guys. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. (I was so excited I went straight to the pharmacy from the doctor's office even though I knew they wouldn't be ready and waited for almost an hour because I knew they wouldn't be open early enough tomorrow morning.) 

Welcome to the club, I guess! I mean that it kind of sucks to need one (I've had asthma all my life) but I'm glad you're able to get treatment, I'm sure it'll help a lot! Hope it goes well :)

It's a shame she couldn't answer all your questions, but probably good that she was ready to pass you on to someone who could rather than making something up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

Welcome to the club, I guess! I mean that it kind of sucks to need one (I've had asthma all my life) but I'm glad you're able to get treatment, I'm sure it'll help a lot! Hope it goes well :)

Yeah, it occurs to me that I am perhaps unusually delighted by the prospect of having asthma, but I promise it's really more the prospect of having treatment for the asthma. I technically was diagnosed in 7th grade, which would've been... god... half a lifetime ago, now. I talked about this in more detail in my battle log, but basically I was given a quick diagnosis and a pair of sample inhalers that the pediatrician had on-hand, but never an actual prescription, and since mine is exercise-induced I don't exhibit symptoms most of the time (like wheezing on a lung check-up) so none of my doctors ever followed up about it after that. They had no reason to suspect it.

I think I used those same two sample inhalers for like four years. :rolleyes: And then I wasn't exercising, so I wasn't having problems. So I didn't bother following up about it myself. But now it's become an issue again, and I'm super excited that with medication it can go back to being a NON-issue! And maybe I can finally run for more than five minutes at a time! :D 

• Like 3

I just wanna post a quick challenge boo-yah over here

Yesterday I went to the grocery store (success) and did my shopping along with some for the household, since I was going to be near the grocery store anyway, and one of the things I bought for myself was a container of watermelon. (I KNOW. I'm sorry. But watermelon!) Anyway. I did NOT buy any crap food. 

Tonight I really wanted some chocolate but I am out of chocolate but I have a nice handy container of WATERMELON on hand! I dished up a few pieces instead of just eating out of the container because I'm not actually that hungry and if I just sit here with an open container I'll eat it all. :rolleyes: But I am counting this as a fantastic win! Fresh fruit instead of chocolate?!?! Whaaaaat?!?! Big points! 

• Like 6

Re: tight calves. I have same problem, so does my sister. She was professional dancer, said cause of the tight, not flexible calves was a tight Achilles' tendon, which is genetic. You are just born with it and there is no remedy. You can try and stretch your calves all day but tendons just don't stretch. 

• Like 2