• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Wobbegong Twists and Turns

Honestly just curious  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Choose.

    • Otters
      11
    • Sea Turtles
      3
    • Penguins
      3
    • Whale Sharks
      4


Recommended Posts

I am glad the doctor's appt went well?? the way you were hoping it would. I hope the inhaler helps you keep running.  I hope you post once you run over 5 minutes at a stretch.

 

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Tonight I really wanted some chocolate but I am out of chocolate but I have a nice handy container of WATERMELON on hand! I dished up a few pieces instead of just eating out of the container because I'm not actually that hungry and if I just sit here with an open container I'll eat it all. :rolleyes: But I am counting this as a fantastic win! Fresh fruit instead of chocolate?!?! Whaaaaat?!?! Big points! 

 

Okay, first off, I love watermelon, so I get it. Secondly, this is a great swap out and the fact you didn't eat the whole thing is even better. Great win.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Emma said:

Re: tight calves. I have same problem, so does my sister. She was professional dancer, said cause of the tight, not flexible calves was a tight Achilles' tendon, which is genetic. You are just born with it and there is no remedy. You can try and stretch your calves all day but tendons just don't stretch. 

Boo. But I sort of suspected as much. And it's definitely not the case that I would want a loose Achilles' tendon, you know? But it is curious that the tight tendon results in the muscle getting all stiff all the time. 

 

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am glad the doctor's appt went well?? the way you were hoping it would. I hope the inhaler helps you keep running.  I hope you post once you run over 5 minutes at a stretch.

I'd say it went well. It was good to go. I used the inhaler today and will post separately about how it went. :) As for running more than five minutes at a stretch, it'll probably happen sometime next week, if I stick to the schedule. I have a run 5/3/5/3 on Saturday, then run 5/5/5 on Monday, and the next run after that will be 8/8. (The one after that is a solid 20 minutes before it goes back down again. O_O Pray for me.) 

 

11 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Okay but watermelon is the best so I don't blame you one bit

 

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Okay, first off, I love watermelon, so I get it. Secondly, this is a great swap out and the fact you didn't eat the whole thing is even better. Great win.

Here I am freaking out about buying pre-cut imported watermelon in a plastic container when it's not even in season and you guys are just like "naaaahhhh." Very kind of you. Watermelon is seriously great! I was trying to find some good substitutes for stress eating, and of course they're all based around comforting yourself in other ways, but a lot of them are not good answers for me. I already journal and it doesn't help with the cravings. I can't take long baths because I don't have a working bathtub. Massages are expensive enough that I definitely can't just get one any time I'm wishing for a piece of chocolate. Etc. But substituting a healthier snack for chocolate is totally in reach! And fresh fruit, especially one like watermelon that is mostly water, is a nice low-cal-but-still-sweet alternative. So I'm very proud of this choice. 

 

I also got string cheese, which I have used successfully as a substitute in the past. Since it is not remotely like chocolate, usually it works more along the lines of chocolate craving --> eat string cheese --> realize I wasn't hungry at all --> get distracted --> forget craving. But that's fine. At the doctor's office yesterday, I weighed in at more than 200 pounds for the first time in my life (ugggh) so I definitely need to get my diet under control. I'm not too stressed about it since "weight is just a number" and I usually weigh myself in the morning when I am lightest and they weighed me in the late afternoon so I was probably just naturally heavier, BUT STILL. Something must be done. And if that something is eating some freaking watermelon out of season, well, there's probably a better way. But for now whatever works. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My run this morning was GREAT! 

 

It was not perfect. I haven't run since Saturday last week, and as usual there is a significant, immediate decline in my abilities if I skip more than two days at most. But it was really, really nice to run and feel like I wasn't performing at my best because I was just out of shape, and not because my lungs were caught in a vice. Huge improvement. 

 

Today's run intervals were 3 minutes, walk 90s, 5 minutes, walk 2.5m, repeat. The first 90s was not enough recovery time, so the first five minute run interval was not completed. I ran about 3.5 minutes that interval and then walked until the next run began. But I finished all the other runs 100% no problem, so that was great! If I can do Saturday's run all the way through, I will count it as complete and move on to Week 5. If something terrible happens and I can't make it through the run on Saturday, I'll stick with Week 4 for ANOTHER week. 

 

Taking the Albuterol was kind of an odd experience. It was recommended I take it 15-30 minutes before activity, so I took it immediately upon waking, and then while I was brushing my teeth I kept taking these really big deep breaths (not on purpose). It felt like my lungs were just discovering how great breathing was for the first time. Which is a little alarming because I was just brushing my teeth?? But ok. Hopefully as I get used to the medication I'll calm down a bit. 

 

Anyway, so far so good! I'll keep you posted :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook has generously reminded me that today is the five-year anniversary of the day I gave blood and then nearly died. 

 

Ok, "nearly died" might be a bit of an exaggeration. But I got really, really sick -- sleeping 16-20 hours a day, unable to walk down the hall without stopping to lean against the wall and recover every ten feet or so, inability to focus or care about anything, including the alarming state of my health, etc -- and a month later found out my ferritin level was almost nonexistent. Thus began my long and lasting effort to manage my iron! :) It hasn't always been smooth sailing, but it's definitely been better to know what's wrong and how to fix it, so in a way I'm grateful. If I never gave blood, I might never have found out! 

 

So... happy bloodletting day? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a weird day overall. 

 

Good run, as mentioned. 

 

Lots of stretching. I have an alarm set to go off every hour reminding me to get up and move about, and I usually ignore it, but since I'm spread kind of thin in the Rebel Mini I made an effort today to do it at least sometimes. So three extra stretching/hold sessions. 

 

Super cold all morning. Not sure why -- was it just a cold day? Was it a reaction to the Albuterol? I was literally shivering, and felt cold in places I almost never do. (Upper arms, torso, upper thighs. I'm used to chilly fingers and toes, but the core parts of me are usually very warm.) It was very weird. I'm warm again now, so I'll keep an eye on it but I'm not too worried. 

 

No flax. Boo. 

 

Absurdly hungry all day. Two slices of millet toast with butter and jam for breakfast, leftover chicken and dumpling stew for lunch, afternoon snack of watermelon and two string cheeses (because I was SO HUNGRY AHHHH), leftover mushroom risotto for dinner. Super high carb day, that's probably the problem. I'll try to push eggs for breakfast tomorrow and see if that works as a reset. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I slept really well last night! This is not unusual, I typically get pretty good sleep. But for the first time in a while, I woke up feeling light and ready to go when my alarm went off. 

 

Then I remembered I don't have to run today and hit snooze. But by the time the second alarm went off, I was so bored I got up anyway. I was going to get in a nice long yoga routine, but I got distracted looking at hip openers and ended up going through all my NF notifications... and now I'm feeling sleepy again. Oh well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Facebook has generously reminded me that today is the five-year anniversary of the day I gave blood and then nearly died. 

 

Ok, "nearly died" might be a bit of an exaggeration. But I got really, really sick -- sleeping 16-20 hours a day, unable to walk down the hall without stopping to lean against the wall and recover every ten feet or so, inability to focus or care about anything, including the alarming state of my health, etc -- and a month later found out my ferritin level was almost nonexistent. Thus began my long and lasting effort to manage my iron! :) It hasn't always been smooth sailing, but it's definitely been better to know what's wrong and how to fix it, so in a way I'm grateful. If I never gave blood, I might never have found out! 

 

So... happy bloodletting day? 

Oh wow!  Crazy scary way to find out, but I'm glad that you were able to find out what was wrong!  My dad had an iron deficiency, which I think he looked into because he liked to chew ice--apparently that's one of the ways it can manifest in a symptom.  Did you ever experience that one?  My family was worried that I might have it too, since I also loved to chew ice, so they tried to get me to eat more meat, spinach, and iron-rich things.  I don't know if I ever was or not--I'm guessing if I was it was probably very slight, but I think I may have just liked chewing ice because it was something my dad did. :P 

 

11 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Lots of stretching. I have an alarm set to go off every hour reminding me to get up and move about, and I usually ignore it, but since I'm spread kind of thin in the Rebel Mini I made an effort today to do it at least sometimes. So three extra stretching/hold sessions. 

Yay for extra stretching! :D  I do like these minis with a few exercise goals--the gamefication is like that extra little nudge.

 

11 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Super cold all morning. Not sure why -- was it just a cold day? Was it a reaction to the Albuterol? I was literally shivering, and felt cold in places I almost never do. (Upper arms, torso, upper thighs. I'm used to chilly fingers and toes, but the core parts of me are usually very warm.) It was very weird. I'm warm again now, so I'll keep an eye on it but I'm not too worried. 

I don't really know what Albuterol does, but that reaction sounds like me after a period of when I drink alcohol--there's an initial flush of warmth because the blood vessels dilate, but in the long run this causes the blood to move away from the core.  I feel warm initially, but in the end my body temperature has dropped a bit and my core becomes cold.  Nothing much I really do except wait it out or have a hot beverage.  Warm thing in stomach can help warm up the rest of the core a bit quicker. :) 

 

11 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Absurdly hungry all day. Two slices of millet toast with butter and jam for breakfast, leftover chicken and dumpling stew for lunch, afternoon snack of watermelon and two string cheeses (because I was SO HUNGRY AHHHH), leftover mushroom risotto for dinner. Super high carb day, that's probably the problem. I'll try to push eggs for breakfast tomorrow and see if that works as a reset. 

...that all sounds delicious, and I want to eat it too.  xD  But yes, I do agree that high carb is probably what's getting you into the situation.  Hard boiled eggs are like my saving grace for filling snacks.  I don't know what it is about hard boiling them--I can eat like four scrambled eggs or two sunny side up eggs, but only one when it's hard boiled.  It's so bizarre.  

 

37 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I slept really well last night! This is not unusual, I typically get pretty good sleep. But for the first time in a while, I woke up feeling light and ready to go when my alarm went off. 

 

Then I remembered I don't have to run today and hit snooze. But by the time the second alarm went off, I was so bored I got up anyway. I was going to get in a nice long yoga routine, but I got distracted looking at hip openers and ended up going through all my NF notifications... and now I'm feeling sleepy again. Oh well. 

Haha, that happens to me a lot.  I'll wake up at the first alarm and be like "I can do all the things!", but I get on my phone and then time either disappears or I fall asleep with the phone in my hand until my second alarm awakens me.  :P 

 

wtf-fish1.gif

...I have no idea what this fish is, but it looks so chill like it just floats through the ocean all day. :) 

   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Oh wow!  Crazy scary way to find out, but I'm glad that you were able to find out what was wrong!  My dad had an iron deficiency, which I think he looked into because he liked to chew ice--apparently that's one of the ways it can manifest in a symptom.  Did you ever experience that one?  My family was worried that I might have it too, since I also loved to chew ice, so they tried to get me to eat more meat, spinach, and iron-rich things.  I don't know if I ever was or not--I'm guessing if I was it was probably very slight, but I think I may have just liked chewing ice because it was something my dad did. :P 

Nah, I never liked chewing ice. I've heard it's terrible for your teeth. But I generally don't have low blood-iron, so maybe that's why? I'm just terrible at the "storing iron in bone marrow to make new blood cells" part of the equation. 

 

5 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Yay for extra stretching! :D  I do like these minis with a few exercise goals--the gamefication is like that extra little nudge.

My usually-entirely-latent competitive spirit is rearing its head a bit, haha! But I'm doing a little of everything and I didn't choose a class combo designed to get me leveling up very quickly, so I'm chugging along at a painfully slow rate. But I'll keep at it! I will get to level five by the end of the mini if it's the last thing I do! 

 

5 hours ago, Jlailin said:

I don't really know what Albuterol does, but that reaction sounds like me after a period of when I drink alcohol--there's an initial flush of warmth because the blood vessels dilate, but in the long run this causes the blood to move away from the core.  I feel warm initially, but in the end my body temperature has dropped a bit and my core becomes cold.  Nothing much I really do except wait it out or have a hot beverage.  Warm thing in stomach can help warm up the rest of the core a bit quicker. :) 

I don't drink alcohol so I wouldn't know. But a hot beverage is a good idea. I was fine all morning but now I'm freezing again. I'm beginning to suspect it has nothing to do with me and the house is just absurdly cold. 

 

5 hours ago, Jlailin said:

...that all sounds delicious, and I want to eat it too.  xD  But yes, I do agree that high carb is probably what's getting you into the situation.  Hard boiled eggs are like my saving grace for filling snacks.  I don't know what it is about hard boiling them--I can eat like four scrambled eggs or two sunny side up eggs, but only one when it's hard boiled.  It's so bizarre.  

I have also noticed this. Except I am the opposite with scrambled and fried. I can eat far more runny-yolk eggs (fried or poached) than scrambled eggs. I never really thought about that before, though. That's very odd. It's the same amount of food no matter how you eat it, right? 

 

5 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Haha, that happens to me a lot.  I'll wake up at the first alarm and be like "I can do all the things!", but I get on my phone and then time either disappears or I fall asleep with the phone in my hand until my second alarm awakens me.  :P 

I'm excited about sleeping in tomorrow. I'll still have to get up to go running, but I can sleep in until 7:30 and be lazy! Saturdays are great. 

 

5 hours ago, Jlailin said:

wtf-fish1.gif

...I have no idea what this fish is, but it looks so chill like it just floats through the ocean all day. :)  

Looks like cubicus boxfish. Very cute. You... really like boxfish and puffers, don't you? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Nah, I never liked chewing ice. I've heard it's terrible for your teeth. But I generally don't have low blood-iron, so maybe that's why? I'm just terrible at the "storing iron in bone marrow to make new blood cells" part of the equation. 

Ohhh, didn't realize there were different ways to be iron deficient.  Our bodies are such complicated, crazy things, huh?

 

18 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

My usually-entirely-latent competitive spirit is rearing its head a bit, haha! But I'm doing a little of everything and I didn't choose a class combo designed to get me leveling up very quickly, so I'm chugging along at a painfully slow rate. But I'll keep at it! I will get to level five by the end of the mini if it's the last thing I do! 

Haha, yes, I almost did the same, but I realized one of my original class choices would get me probably get me very few points at all since I'm not really studying much.  As it is, I think I'm going to try hanging out in some kind of stretch while reading or watching TV tonight.  Gotta go after those rogue points! :P 

 

22 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I don't drink alcohol so I wouldn't know. But a hot beverage is a good idea. I was fine all morning but now I'm freezing again. I'm beginning to suspect it has nothing to do with me and the house is just absurdly cold. 

Escape the cold!  Huddle for warmth!!!!

d7q9foa.gif

 

26 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm excited about sleeping in tomorrow. I'll still have to get up to go running, but I can sleep in until 7:30 and be lazy! Saturdays are great. 

Yes~  Sleeping in is wonderful!  <3  ...Although my sleeping in days are usually more like sleep walk to feed cat, fall back in bed, pretend getting up never happened, and sleep more.  xD

 

28 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Looks like cubicus boxfish. Very cute. You... really like boxfish and puffers, don't you? 

You know... I never really knew that about myself, but I guess I do.  Whenever I look at fish pictures, I pretty much always pick them.  xD  I think it's their shape--they're just so cute and round.  <3 

tumblr_nz40e8glJ61uccnfoo1_400.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear you got some medication :) 

 

And with Watermelon, I don't blame you. I love me some really good watermelon. Though I haven't really had any fruit while eating keto :) Someday again though ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 2:58 PM, Jlailin said:

You know... I never really knew that about myself, but I guess I do.  Whenever I look at fish pictures, I pretty much always pick them.  xD  I think it's their shape--they're just so cute and round.  <3 

So yesterday I went to hang out with my friend and she got me a bunch of Valentines Day stuff including a sticker that was a cartoon of a pufferfish and says "Blow Me" and as soon as I saw it I could not stop laughing. 

 

11 hours ago, Tateman said:

Good to hear you got some medication :) 

 

And with Watermelon, I don't blame you. I love me some really good watermelon. Though I haven't really had any fruit while eating keto :) Someday again though ;)

Thanks! Yeah, watermelon and keto don't really go together. But it sure is delicious! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been thinking a lot over the past couple of days about what I want my next challenge to be (...is it too soon?) and I think I want to focus on nutrition. I will still be doing some exercise because there's always more running and yoga to do, and I really want to build those habits, but I want to focus on really getting my diet cleaned up. 

 

But there are so many things I could try, and so many things I want to try but that just aren't feasible, I'm having trouble deciding. 

 

Right now I'm leaning towards continuing my "don't buy crap" goal -- after just one week I'm already starting to be pleasantly turned off by a lot of candy foods, and that is a sentiment I want to encourage. People do keep giving me crap so I'm not entirely cured, but... at least the grocery store is becoming less of a problem. 

 

I am seriously toying with the idea of intermittent fasting. I've been really resistant to it in the past because I love breakfast so much and I have family dinners basically every night, and also because preliminary studies (not GREAT studies, unfortunately) seem to indicate it works very differently for people with uteruses as opposed to people with penises, due to the nature of promoting reproductive success during times of famine. I know @Jlailin has had some success with IF, but seems like mostly that comes from long-term adherence, and I'm not sure I would keep at it for more than a month if I didn't at least begin to see a trend "in the right direction." But on the other hand, I'm currently not really doing anything and that definitely isn't working. 

 

Another thing I'm thinking of is "taking charge" of my lunch the same way I did with breakfast last challenge. I usually eat dinner leftovers for lunch so this is a little harder, but I definitely also eat out way more than I have to. I could be eating piles of steamed broccoli instead. (That sounds really unappetizing when I write it like that but I promise I would dress it up properly.) It's not quite the season for vegetable palooza yet but there are plenty of meal options I could leverage that are healthier than hot dogs and onion rings, and easier and cheaper to boot. 

 

As long as I have my minifridge and am going to the grocery store at least weekly anyway, I really have no excuse not to do better. I love cooking, so really, what's the problem? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Dinner is basically entirely out of my hands so things like Whole30 and Keto and Paleo are out, but I have a lot more flexibility with breakfast and lunch than I give myself credit for. It is well past time to do something. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

I have been thinking a lot over the past couple of days about what I want my next challenge to be (...is it too soon?)

Honestly, I was just doing dishes and thinking about the same thing. My next challenge already. Then this is the first post I see haha.

 

I am doing IF, and having breakfast. I just have it at 11 am. Well, more like 11:30 haha. You could just try it a little. here and there to see f you think it is possible. Something like a 16/8 split or something. Of course, if you eat at 8am each morning, your body will be like "Hey, where is that food?" At least at first. It takes a little bit to get use to it. I too have heard it does work for some people, and others it isn't good.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am kind of doing IF. For years I skipped breakfast, but didn't work. Now I skip dinner, mainly because I'm often on the run, but I have a big snack at around 5. If I'm hungry afterwards veggies and eventually fat are allowed.

Though sometimes I get pizza if I'm homesick, or I have dinner if I'm out with friends.

So not a strict IF, but something similar.

I started with no sweets after 6, then went to no carbs, then I went to a full no food, but was not working very well, so I have a no food after 9 (rule I broke a lot recently).

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

So yesterday I went to hang out with my friend and she got me a bunch of Valentines Day stuff including a sticker that was a cartoon of a pufferfish and says "Blow Me" and as soon as I saw it I could not stop laughing. 

Omg, that's so epic!  xD

 

10 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I am seriously toying with the idea of intermittent fasting. I've been really resistant to it in the past because I love breakfast so much and I have family dinners basically every night, and also because preliminary studies (not GREAT studies, unfortunately) seem to indicate it works very differently for people with uteruses as opposed to people with penises, due to the nature of promoting reproductive success during times of famine. I know @Jlailin has had some success with IF, but seems like mostly that comes from long-term adherence, and I'm not sure I would keep at it for more than a month if I didn't at least begin to see a trend "in the right direction." But on the other hand, I'm currently not really doing anything and that definitely isn't working. 

IF has worked for me, but I have seem it work so much more effectively for other male friends who have tried it.  I think it can work for women, but it just works better for men.  Honestly though, I think what it has really done for me is gotten me to eat less.  It helped to just cut out one entire meal rather than reducing meal sizes and/or eating a thousand carrot sticks throughout the day or stuff like that.  The thing is that I like eating big meals, and IF lets me keep doing that.  If you really want to eat breakfast and all your other meals, maybe there's another method to reduce the calories in them, so that you can still have all your meals.  Choose a method that you could see yourself doing and lets you keep the thing you really want. :) 

 

10 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

As long as I have my minifridge and am going to the grocery store at least weekly anyway, I really have no excuse not to do better. I love cooking, so really, what's the problem? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Dinner is basically entirely out of my hands so things like Whole30 and Keto and Paleo are out, but I have a lot more flexibility with breakfast and lunch than I give myself credit for. It is well past time to do something. 

Have you ever tried counting your calories for what you currently do?  Maybe if you know where you are to start, it could help diagnose the problem.  E.G. If your calorie count is too high, you'll know you need to reduce food amount, or it your calorie amount is okay, then maybe it's the types of foods you're eating.  I didn't ever count calories for intermittent fasting, but I once counted before starting and I realized that I ate a ridiculous amount of food for a person my size with a sedentary life style.  I realized I'd either have to eat much tinier meals (meal plan, calorie count, etc) or do IF if I wanted a chance at even reducing my weight.  IF was just easier for my brain to handle. 

 

I do also find that I need to make time at least once a week to batch cook something large for my lunch the rest of the week.  Even if my own food isn't salad or something super healthy, I find I do so much better when I eat the food that I've cooked.  I don't know what it is about food I buy outside--it always seems to have something in it that makes me gain two pounds.  >_>  One rule I have is that I'm not allowed to eat out for lunch more than once per week, which has helped with this tremendously.  Maybe you could implement something similar to curb the eating out habit?  If you need recipes or ideas, I love the skinnytaste blog.  Her blog is not specific to one type of diet (but she does have her recipes tagged for a lot of diets, which is a nice reference point), but it goes with the idea of wholesome, good-for-you foods. 

 

Anywho, just throwing out ideas.  Here's a ray swimming off with a chunk of some kind of delicious fish to cheer you on!  :P

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

I do also find that I need to make time at least once a week to batch cook something large for my lunch the rest of the week. 

 

Yes, this! I liked cooking, but now I can cook 1-2 times a week and get home made food for all week and have lot of free time too!

My problem with skipping dinner is that I end up not cooking fish as it stinks if I microwave it at work.

 

Thanx for the link, I didn't know that blog. I like this one: makingthymeforhealth.com

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to chime in about IF.
Here's my approach to it right now:
I eat 3 meals and I fast for 14 hours. Mostly what I notice now is my body becoming ok with not eating right away.
So this morning I got up and normally the gnawing feeling in my stomach would make me eat. Now instead I drank a glass of water and it was gone!

So my approach is step by step. This challenge I want a consistent 14 hour fast. No more, no less. This means I still eat 3 meals (9:00, 12:30, 18:00-19:00 ish). That last one is partly out of my hands due to eating with my BF.

Next time I want to try 15 hours. And then consistently 15 hours. Then 16 and finally consistently 16 hours. This would mean I end up with starting at 11 instead of 9. So I would probably just split my lunch in two on weekdays (as I eat at 12:30 with coworkers) and only breakfast/lunch (give it a name) on weekends. (Which sometimes happens already lol).

I'm slowly getting annoyed with meal names and try to start calling them by number instead XD this is meal 1 and this is meal 2. You know?!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Yes, this! I liked cooking, but now I can cook 1-2 times a week and get home made food for all week and have lot of free time too!

My problem with skipping dinner is that I end up not cooking fish as it stinks if I microwave it at work.

Speaking on behalf of all of us with desks close to the office microwaves: thank you SO much, we appreciate your thoughtfulness!! I love fish but it somehow only smells delicious if you're the one eating it. I'm sure like 20 per cent of reheatable lunch meal prep is being conscious of your coworkers.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wobbegong


It is never too soon to consider your next challenge. I have taken to leaving a space in my bullet journal for things I can add to a challenge.


The fasting thing good luck. Sadly, part of how I got here is I use to say "I can eat later" and then I would eat maybe one meal a day, so my body went into starvation mode and hung on to EVERYTHING. As a result, I am not small and its taken me so long to retrain myself to even acknowledge I might be hungry, that I probably shouldn't try it. However, it could work for you since i know it does work for some people. 

 

Could you take part of Monday or Friday while your mom is gone and batch cook your lunches for the next few days. I know you eat with your dad, but maybe even get him on board with doing the lighter carb lunches together. Prep a few days meals at once and just eat that together.


And I hear you on the candy thing. I think last time I bought some was for stockings. Thing is, EVERYONE gives us some. For Christmas, we all got quart bags of candy, that weren't eaten, then I got more candy for my birthday that hasn't been eaten. Granted that was only a week ago, but the bag is still closed. I mean, I don't really want it, but I will never convince the people who gave it to me of that (especially when its just a bag of dove chocolates. (sorry I started to ramble).

 

How is the running going with the new inhaler?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Yes, this! I liked cooking, but now I can cook 1-2 times a week and get home made food for all week and have lot of free time too!

My problem with skipping dinner is that I end up not cooking fish as it stinks if I microwave it at work.

 

Thanx for the link, I didn't know that blog. I like this one: makingthymeforhealth.com

Oh!  That blog looks great!  I now want to make those meatloaf cups on the first page.  They look so cute and great for portioning food out (plus that nice well in the middle for gravy, mmm)!

 

7 hours ago, Siferiax said:

I'm slowly getting annoyed with meal names and try to start calling them by number instead XD this is meal 1 and this is meal 2. You know?!

I love this idea!  There are times when I still want to eat breakfast foods when it is definitely not breakfast time.  xD  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your advice and help, responses will come later today! 

 

Today is tamal day, so I planned to go for my usual morning run and then hit up the grocery store for anything I still needed for tamales (queso fresco and lard, it turned out).

 

On my run I fell again. Boo. My shoes are fine, thankfully, so no running delays for equipment this time, but I did put about ten little holes in the running leggings I'm wearing. I haven't taken them off yet to assess how badly I shredded the leg underneath, but I've been sitting here going through my NF notifications waiting for the shower to open up and alternating chanting "ow ow ow," snarling, and breathing through my teeth, so suffice it to say it hurts a lot and I am expecting some serious damage under there. Both of my palms are covered in little scrapes, they look like a small bird attacked me. 

 

I went to Safeway since I knew my local grocery store would be closed for the holiday, and had a fun time scouring the butter aisle for lard. Hint: it's not there. I finally gave up and went wandering the store looking for an employee, and found one restocking the meat section. I asked him and he was literally standing right in front of it, so he just picked up a box and handed it to me with a grin. Fun times. Very convenient. Then I went to the Starbucks in the Safeway for a latte because god damn it my leg hurt and I did three intervals of five minutes running even with the fall and I earned it! Somehow that resulted in flirting with the barista. 

 

Him: Aren't you cold without sleeves?

Me: Oh, I have a running sweater I was wearing earlier, but then the sun came up and it was too hot, so...

Him: Well, I like you better like this ;) *elevator eyes* 

Me: Yeeeeeah. You're pretty cute too. 

Him: !!!

 

He had passed me my drink right as I delivered that line, so I was able to walk away lol. He was cute, but mostly just had a really sunny personality and I was enjoying chatting with him, so that was nice. Flirting is fun. 

 

Somehow sitting here writing this post has resulted in my mom getting mad at me, so... time to go. There will be tamales by the time I return. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 11:54 AM, Tateman said:

Honestly, I was just doing dishes and thinking about the same thing. My next challenge already. Then this is the first post I see haha.

16 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

It is never too soon to consider your next challenge. I have taken to leaving a space in my bullet journal for things I can add to a challenge.

Glad I'm not the only one! Planning ahead has kind of been a theme so far this year, so it's good to stick with it. :D 

 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:54 AM, Tateman said:

I am doing IF, and having breakfast. I just have it at 11 am. Well, more like 11:30 haha. You could just try it a little. here and there to see f you think it is possible. Something like a 16/8 split or something. Of course, if you eat at 8am each morning, your body will be like "Hey, where is that food?" At least at first. It takes a little bit to get use to it. I too have heard it does work for some people, and others it isn't good.  

On 2/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, Diadhuit said:

I am kind of doing IF. For years I skipped breakfast, but didn't work. Now I skip dinner, mainly because I'm often on the run, but I have a big snack at around 5. If I'm hungry afterwards veggies and eventually fat are allowed.

Though sometimes I get pizza if I'm homesick, or I have dinner if I'm out with friends.

So not a strict IF, but something similar.

I started with no sweets after 6, then went to no carbs, then I went to a full no food, but was not working very well, so I have a no food after 9 (rule I broke a lot recently).

On 2/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, Jlailin said:

IF has worked for me, but I have seem it work so much more effectively for other male friends who have tried it.  I think it can work for women, but it just works better for men.  Honestly though, I think what it has really done for me is gotten me to eat less.  It helped to just cut out one entire meal rather than reducing meal sizes and/or eating a thousand carrot sticks throughout the day or stuff like that.  The thing is that I like eating big meals, and IF lets me keep doing that.  If you really want to eat breakfast and all your other meals, maybe there's another method to reduce the calories in them, so that you can still have all your meals.  Choose a method that you could see yourself doing and lets you keep the thing you really want. :) 

20 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Just wanted to chime in about IF.
Here's my approach to it right now:
I eat 3 meals and I fast for 14 hours. Mostly what I notice now is my body becoming ok with not eating right away.
So this morning I got up and normally the gnawing feeling in my stomach would make me eat. Now instead I drank a glass of water and it was gone!

So my approach is step by step. This challenge I want a consistent 14 hour fast. No more, no less. This means I still eat 3 meals (9:00, 12:30, 18:00-19:00 ish). That last one is partly out of my hands due to eating with my BF.

Next time I want to try 15 hours. And then consistently 15 hours. Then 16 and finally consistently 16 hours. This would mean I end up with starting at 11 instead of 9. So I would probably just split my lunch in two on weekdays (as I eat at 12:30 with coworkers) and only breakfast/lunch (give it a name) on weekends. (Which sometimes happens already lol).

16 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

The fasting thing good luck. Sadly, part of how I got here is I use to say "I can eat later" and then I would eat maybe one meal a day, so my body went into starvation mode and hung on to EVERYTHING. As a result, I am not small and its taken me so long to retrain myself to even acknowledge I might be hungry, that I probably shouldn't try it. However, it could work for you since i know it does work for some people. 

Ok, so most of what I'm hearing here is that if I do chose IF, I need to take my time with it, ease into it, and be open-minded about what fasting period works best for me. I can still have three meals a day, so I shouldn't worry about that or let it stop me. I just need to plan to be really aware of what's going on and if it's working for me or not, and if not, try something else. But I should also pay extra close attention to eating too little, because I have some evidence that suggests it may be a problem for me and other evidence that suggests it's not at all, so... tread lightly. 

 

For now, I'll start by tracking when exactly I eat for the rest of the challenge, to get some good starting data. Thanks for your help, everyone! 

 

20 hours ago, Siferiax said:

I'm slowly getting annoyed with meal names and try to start calling them by number instead XD this is meal 1 and this is meal 2. You know?!

I tend to consider "breakfast" to be a very literal word and use it for any meal that "breaks my fast." If the first meal I eat is at 5pm (which happens sometimes) that's breakfast. I do not care if I am eating "breakfast foods" then or not. But generally speaking when I say "I really love breakfast" what I mean is "I really love my morning meal." As far as lunch/supper/dinner, "lunch" is usually a mid-day meal but as for whether it's meal #1 or meal #2 changes routinely for me. Idk. Meal names are confusing and hard. In Japanese it's just "morning rice," "noon rice," and "night rice." So straightforward. 

 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, Jlailin said:

Have you ever tried counting your calories for what you currently do?  Maybe if you know where you are to start, it could help diagnose the problem.  E.G. If your calorie count is too high, you'll know you need to reduce food amount, or it your calorie amount is okay, then maybe it's the types of foods you're eating.  I didn't ever count calories for intermittent fasting, but I once counted before starting and I realized that I ate a ridiculous amount of food for a person my size with a sedentary life style.  I realized I'd either have to eat much tinier meals (meal plan, calorie count, etc) or do IF if I wanted a chance at even reducing my weight.  IF was just easier for my brain to handle. 

For a while I was using MFP intensely and learned basically nothing from it except that I hate calorie counting. Then I did a challenge where I wrote down what I ate and how much every day, and at the end of the month I went back and tallied up my numbers and had a terrifyingly low average of like 1200 C/day, with several days where I apparently hadn't even eaten 800 calories. I freaked out a lot and basically determined my tracking must have been off. Sometimes when I notice I've eaten an unusual amount of food so far in a day I'll estimate how many calories I've eaten or intend to eat total that day and come up with estimates around 3000 - 3500, which sounds much more likely considering my weight gain and activity levels, but then again I only do those estimates when I've eaten a lot, which is definitely not every day. (But I'm also not gaining at an alarming rate.) So... I'll give IF a try, and hopefully it will be easier for my brain to handle, too. 

 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, Jlailin said:

I do also find that I need to make time at least once a week to batch cook something large for my lunch the rest of the week.  Even if my own food isn't salad or something super healthy, I find I do so much better when I eat the food that I've cooked.  I don't know what it is about food I buy outside--it always seems to have something in it that makes me gain two pounds.  >_>  One rule I have is that I'm not allowed to eat out for lunch more than once per week, which has helped with this tremendously.  Maybe you could implement something similar to curb the eating out habit?  If you need recipes or ideas, I love the skinnytaste blog.  Her blog is not specific to one type of diet (but she does have her recipes tagged for a lot of diets, which is a nice reference point), but it goes with the idea of wholesome, good-for-you foods. 

21 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Yes, this! I liked cooking, but now I can cook 1-2 times a week and get home made food for all week and have lot of free time too!

My problem with skipping dinner is that I end up not cooking fish as it stinks if I microwave it at work.

16 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Could you take part of Monday or Friday while your mom is gone and batch cook your lunches for the next few days. I know you eat with your dad, but maybe even get him on board with doing the lighter carb lunches together. Prep a few days meals at once and just eat that together.

Batch cooking is bae. I've been doing it for breakfast, but I could easily step up my game and do it for lunches as well. I have access to an instant pot, stove, and oven, so I have plenty of opportunity to make really simple food and could probably even make a couple of meals at once with just a little practice. I usually cook early Monday morning after my run, so Mom has already left for the day and Dad has started his list of tasks for the day. No one hovers or questions my presence in the kitchen then. 

 

I should also get back into the habit of batch prepping salads. I was doing that for a while in 2016 and it was fantastic. I never want to make a salad at lunch time because it takes forever, but if I make five at once on Monday morning I can have one with lunch every day of the week. Om nom nom. 

 

Also Jlailin I hear you on food I buy outside. I don't understand how it happens, but it is just such a detriment. Ugh.

 

I could probably get my dad on board with batch cooking, but more likely it would be more a "get him on board with me eating leftovers while he eats whatever he wants, whether that's leftovers with me or take out he got for himself." He did go through a phase of being interested in low-carb a couple months ago, but then he... lost interest? :/ We've been eating lunch together recently, so it will definitely take a conversation, but we should be able to work something out. 

 

16 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

And I hear you on the candy thing. I think last time I bought some was for stockings. Thing is, EVERYONE gives us some. For Christmas, we all got quart bags of candy, that weren't eaten, then I got more candy for my birthday that hasn't been eaten. Granted that was only a week ago, but the bag is still closed. I mean, I don't really want it, but I will never convince the people who gave it to me of that (especially when its just a bag of dove chocolates. (sorry I started to ramble).

I do not understand why everyone gives me so much candy. All. The. Time. People who know I'm trying to eat healthier. People who are themselves trying to eat healthier. People who normally never give me candy. People I barely know. As soon as I decide to eat less of it I am inundated. WHY. 

 

16 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

How is the running going with the new inhaler?

I had a breakthrough bronchospasm during my run this morning but it was a little one and didn't stop me from continuing the run. (Didn't stop me from falling, either, unfortunately. Sigh.) Otherwise it seems to mostly be going well? Assuming I don't get tetanus or gangrene from my spill today and die or end up in extreme pain, I am on-track for my Wednesday run of two intervals @ 8 minutes each! So excited! And terrified. Send good thoughts my way. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now