jstanlick goes hunting

jstanlick

Last challenge I was trying to kill a dragon, but I had to identify it first. Now that I know its dragon that will be hard to kill, my plan is to scare that diabetes dragon back under whatever rock it crawled out from under and keep it there. My challenge goals will not be all that different from the last one, but I will put them in priority order this time.

1. Average Blood Glucose < 120: Last challenge I started with numbers from the lab in the 280 range. The last week of the challenge I managed to average 117. My goal is to get this number low enough to stave off any medication for as long as possible. I see the doctor for a followup next week and they were fairly certain I would have difficulty getting it under 150. I've watched this video many times in the last month:
  2. Carb Intake < 100 g/day: I got my average down to 125 by the end of the last challenge. I'm shooting for 100. My 2a goal is to get my sugar consumption down under 50 g/day while I'm at it. The lower the sugar, the lower my blood glucose levels were.
  3. Exercise 5 days/week for 30 minutes minimum/day: I have good faith in this one. Running one day and lifting the next. I managed to get to this the last two weeks of the last challenge. Now it's about consistency.
  4. Sleep 8 hours/day: I got better at this the last challenge, but I'm still not there. Granted, I like the 7.5 hours I've gotten myself to, but that extra 3.5 hours a week seem like I really good idea to me.
  5. Consume >25 g/day: I almost hit this without supplements last challenge. My goal is to try to hit this without supplementation. I was at 24 g/day at the end of the last challenge. I should be able to find an extra gram of fiber/day in my diet, right?

That's it. Pretty much the same as last challenge except a lower blood glucose target. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch Arnold again.

• Like 8

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Following along again! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Following along again! 

Glad to have you!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

btw have you tried chia seeds?

I haven't...yet. I was looking at a drink that was chock full of them and trying to decide if they would qualify as a snack I could have. I have been religiously avoided drinking any calories as most of them are carb and sugar related. But, this one also came with a high fiber content due to the chia seeds. I might give that a try as it's carb count fit with the macros the dietitian suggested for any snacks I might eat.

• Like 2

Chia seeds are protein, fiber, and healthy fats. You could add them to an unsweetened drink - my teammate used to put it in her iced herbal tea. I think it’s supposed to help you moderate your glucose levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Chia seeds are protein, fiber, and healthy fats. You could add them to an unsweetened drink - my teammate used to put it in her iced herbal tea. I think it’s supposed to help you moderate your glucose levels.

Sweet, crowd sourced fiber advice! Glad I'm back on the NF forums. Thanks you guys! I will give it a try.

• Like 1

Sweet, crowd sourced fiber advice! Glad I'm back on the NF forums. Thanks you guys! I will give it a try.

She said the best price was in bulk at Costco. My knowledge is all second/hand; she was never able to talk me into drinking seeds.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

9 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

She said the best price was in bulk at Costco. My knowledge is all second/hand; she was never able to talk me into drinking seeds.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I usually don't like drinks that have solids in them. Even smoothies are not that easy for me, but given where I'm at I'm willing to turn just about anything into an n1 experiment and see if it helps.

• Like 1

You've done such a great job so far at lowering your glucose levels, I have no doubt you will be able to hit your goal.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:
10 hours ago, jstanlick said:

We've gotten Chia seeds at Aldi (for trial purposes). My husband will eat them in overnight oats or chia pudding and he's got texture issues too (you know, if you'd rather not drink them).

Also - following!

• Like 1
On 2/5/2018 at 10:57 PM, Elastigirl said:

You've done such a great job so far at lowering your glucose levels, I have no doubt you will be able to hit your goal.

Thanks! I haven't gotten my carb intake levels down to yours yet, but the lower they are, the lower my glucose levels seem to be.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:13 AM, Sylvaa said:

We've gotten Chia seeds at Aldi (for trial purposes). My husband will eat them in overnight oats or chia pudding and he's got texture issues too (you know, if you'd rather not drink them).

Also - following!

Hmm, chia pudding...interesting. I have debated doing more smoothies in the morning and I could toss them in the blender with those I suppose.

We're only a few days into this challenge, but let's get an update from the reporter on the sidelines:

1. Average Blood Glucose < 120: I'm kinda perplexed by this. The morning numbers have been higher again the last few days with things stabilizing more as the day goes on. I expected yesterday's to be higher after celebrating my son's birthday Monday night. What I didn't expect was for them to be higher again this morning. I thought I did a good job with carbs and sugars yesterday. Plus, yesterday was leg day and I thought the numbers should have come down a few hours after that with the muscles trying to soak up the blood sugar. Current average this week sits at  129.5. We'll see if things stabilize again today.
  2. Carb Intake < 100 g/day: This week I currently have an average of 117.5. Largely due to high numbers on Monday, but that was expected. Sugar intake is sitting at an average of 57.5. Again, due to Monday.
  3. Exercise 5 days/week for 30 minutes minimum/day: As I mentioned, yesterday was leg day. Monday was a rest day. Today is a running day. Since I haven't technically completed the run yet (headed to the gym in a little over an hour), that's only 1 workout so far. Although, there was also an impromptu lifting session yesterday with the driveway snow shoveling. But, still just 1 workout.
  4. Sleep 8 hours/day: This has not gotten off on the right foot. I'm on call this week which always messes with my goals, especially this one. So, I'm currently averaging 7.25 hours. Last night was a little better, but Monday night kinda sucked.
  5. Consume >25 g/day: So, I wrote this goal on Monday and then went out and laid an egg (I have currently consumed as much fiber today as all of Monday :(). But I did bounce back an exceed the goal yesterday. I'm currently sitting at an average of 23.

So, there's the update and we'll send it back up to the booth.

• Like 5

Hmm, this just showed up in my email: Keto and Type II Diabetes. Mark always does a good job of citing studies to reach his conclusions and he cited 5 different studies, but I'm not sure Keto is a thing I can pull off. It's food for thought though and maybe after I master keeping carbs under 100 g/day I could try to shoot for Keto. Just feels like that would be incredibly difficult with the family and be so different from everyone else in the house.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jstanlick said:
  • Exercise 5 days/week for 30 minutes minimum/day: As I mentioned, yesterday was leg day. Monday was a rest day. Today is a running day. Since I haven't technically completed the run yet (headed to the gym in a little over an hour), that's only 1 workout so far. Although, there was also an impromptu lifting session yesterday with the driveway snow shoveling. But, still just 1 workout.
  •  

Running day is the best day :D 

Keto is something that I just cannot face. I'm okay with giving up sugar but not all the other carbs! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

great challenge! following

the year of living trippily

The most current of all: Final Boss  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

On 2/7/2018 at 2:27 PM, jonfirestar said:

Keto is something that I just cannot face. I'm okay with giving up sugar but not all the other carbs! 

Yeah, Keto frightens me a bit. I have a hard enough time staying under 100 g/day of carbs. Getting down to the 20-30g range seems awfully tough.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:22 AM, DJtrippyT said:

great challenge! following

Hey, good to see you!

18 hours ago, peelout said:

Oh here you are.

I was going to post a funny gif here, but I know your level of fondness for gifs. Sooooo, Hello!

• Like 2

Thoughts on diabetes and food: Man there are a lot of studies with related to Keto diets and diabetes. I've found bunches of them. Sadly, I've found a lot less for the DASH diet and the Mediterranean Diet. Yet, that seems to be what the Diabetes Association recommends. And the studies I did find, did not have great results. Keto on the other hand had some spectacular results. I just don't think I'm ready for that. Carb restriction is pushing me closer and closer to a Paleo diet much by accident. You rip out most carbs in today's day and world and you end up quite Paleo whether you meant to or not.

Thoughts on exercise: Having that big "why" to keep you on the exercise wagon is a huge bonus. It greatly helps you be consistent and that consistency sure is making me feel better. First, you feel like you're getting something done. Second, it sure does help with stress. Third, it gives you more energy and helps you sleep better.

Updates:

1. Average Blood Glucose < 120: Current average is 121. I'm still figuring this out. Yesterday included lifting and carbs under 100 and sugar under 20! Yet, one of the postprandial readings was 146. Everything else yesterday was around 100. I think it might have something to do with large amounts of caffeine yesterday and lack of sleep thanks to being on call. At least, that's what I'm telling myself at the moment.
  2. Carb Intake < 100 g/day: Average is currently 108. So, I've lowered the average 9g in the last 2 days. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this :D Sugar is currently averaging 41 g/day.
  3. Exercise 5 days/week for 30 minutes minimum/day: 2 Lifting workouts and 2 running workouts so far this week. Right on track.
  4. Sleep 8 hours/day: So, remember when I said 7.25 hours per day were a little low? Yeah, well getting paged and only getting 4.5 hours of sleep Thursday and getting up early to clear the driveway after a snowstorm today didn't help either. Down to 6.6 hours of sleep. BOO!
  5. Consume >25 g/day: Current average is 24.5 g/day and with the first day of the week only being 16g, I think I'm recovering nicely with this one.
  • Like 4

Just now, jstanlick said:
On 2/7/2018 at 3:27 PM, jonfirestar said:

Yeah, Keto frightens me a bit. I have a hard enough time staying under 100 g/day of carbs. Getting down to the 20-30g range seems awfully tough.

So I truly don't promote any specific diet (rather, whatever works for you - the overarching you, not either of YOU specifically). But I would like to slide my glasses further up my nose and say that it's truly not about any specific grams per day, but rather a whole bunch of individual factors. So if you want to go down this road, invest in a tracking method. Activity levels can absolutely have an impact on how many carbs you can eat (here is one example). Now, obviously that is an extreme example, but it's definitely something to consider.

Also, I did some EBSCO digging (it's what I do). I found a retrospective study on the Mediterranean Diet and T2DM. According to the retrospective study, the MedDiet was favorable due to adherence, quality of life, and treatment satisfaction. (Lasa A, Miranda J, Portillo M, et al. Comparative effect of two Mediterranean diets versus a low-fat diet on glycaemic control in individuals with type 2 diabetes. European Journal Of Clinical Nutrition [serial online]. July 2014;68(7):767-772. Available from: Business Source Corporate, Ipswich, MA. Accessed February 9, 2018.)

There is also a 2016 meta-analysis that shows: Bioactive components of the MedDiet synergize to affect various metabolic pathways, leading to a reduced cardiometabolic disease risk. The abundance of healthy, nutrient-dense foods that make up the plant-based MedDiet predicts its bioactivity and potential to beneficially influence metabolic pathways that lead to MetS and T2DM, as well as other chronic conditions. Abundant epidemiologic and clinical trial evidence supports the role of the MedDiet on the prevention and management of T2DM and MetS (The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 146, Issue 4, 1 April 2015, Pages 920S–927S,https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.115.218487)

Apologies for the ridiculous formatting issues that are in that..... But my point is that there is research that supports the Mediterranean Diet - it's just in journals. 

• Like 4

On the subject of diet names, I've been eating pretty much salad + plain meat (pork, chicken, or burger patty) for every lunch and dinner every day this year.  Other than "boring", does this diet fall under a category or name?  Just curious.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:47 PM, Sylvaa said:

But I would like to slide my glasses further up my nose and say that it's truly not about any specific grams per day, but rather a whole bunch of individual factors.

Definitely true! The more you move the more carbs you can consume without them necessarily spilling into the blood stream without being used. But, see, I sit at a desk all day and drive my kids to stuff and volunteer to help out with their stuff. My exercise fits into that schedule and I don't burn enough to be able to move that needle much except maybe on weekend mornings when I can get in a long run while everyone else sleeps. But, thank you for the links! I love nerding out on nutrition studies. The only thing I don't like is why does the guy named Jeff in the first link have to be the poor bastard consuming less the 1000 calories a day? He couldn't have used James or Jack or something?!?! :P

16 hours ago, Xena said:

Seems to me that you've made some substantial changes with carb/sugar/fiber and it seems to be working pretty well. This member of the peanut gallery would recommend giving it a little more time.

This is more a problem of ranger brain. I'm always looking for new shiny things. Nutrition is no different. Things have been going well. This is more of a Plan C in case the doctor thinks medication is necessary. I'd prefer to delay that as long as possible. (Plan B is a second opinion :D)

11 hours ago, peelout said:

On the subject of diet names, I've been eating pretty much salad + plain meat (pork, chicken, or burger patty) for every lunch and dinner every day this year.  Other than "boring", does this diet fall under a category or name?  Just curious.

Based on what you've divulged here, it likely falls in the Paleo, Primal, Atkins, low carb category of diets. Kind of depends on what you put in or on your salads, I guess. But, if that's what you're eating, that's the category I'd throw it in.*

* These statements have not been evaluated by a registered dietitian, nutritionist or doctor and are the snap judgement opinions of one nerd who spends a lot time reading about different diets.

• Like 3

On the plus side, someone actually asked me if I'm losing weight and that I looked really good. That was an unexpected ego booster!

On the other side of this yin and yang life we lead, why does it keep snowing?!? Couldn't it do this all at once and be done with it instead of 3 to 4 inches every other day? The shoveling takes precious hours from my week (I have a not so small driveway). It's starting to mess with my schedule. Anywho, time for some updates.

Updates:

1. Average Blood Glucose < 120: At last we checked in, it was at 121. BOO!! It is now 117. Yay!!
  2. Carb Intake < 100 g/day: Again, previous check in was 108 for carbs and 41 for sugar. The new averages for this week are 111 and 38. So, one went down farther and one went up. I'm kinda okay with this. I had some soup when we were out to dinner that I thought would be good for me, but upon checking the nutritional info later, it was higher in carbs than I thought it should have been. Not sure what they add to the broth that would add that much more carbs without adding sugar, but ya win some ya lose some. Getting those sugar numbers lower feels huge. Especially since all that fiber I'm trying to eat more if is not absorbed as quickly as other carbs.
  3. Exercise 5 days/week for 30 minutes minimum/day: I had 4 workouts in and added a 3.5 mile run yesterday so I hit this one for the week. I wasn't happy with the run though. It was very slippery with the snow and I had to slow my pace to not wipeout. Also, my cold weather gear doesn't fit so well anymore. I had to keep hiking the pants up every block or so because they kept falling down. I guess its finally time to purchase some new stuff.
  4. Sleep 8 hours/day: Alright, I was at 6.6 hours of sleep. The last 2 nights have been much better. My average is now up to 7.14 hours of sleep or about 7 hours 8 minutes. Still not good, but headed in the right direction.
  5. Consume >25 g/day: I currently sit at 24.7 grams on average this week.  Considering the first day this week was in the low teens, I'll take that average as its trending in the right direction.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jstanlick said:

On the other side of this yin and yang life we lead, why does it keep snowing?!? Couldn't it do this all at once and be done with it instead of 3 to 4 inches every other day? The shoveling takes precious hours from my week (I have a not so small driveway). It's starting to mess with my schedule. Anywho, time for some updates.

I remember that you have at least one athletic daughter into volleyball and k-bells. Convince her shoveling is good conditioning?

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

11 hours ago, Xena said:

I remember that you have at least one athletic daughter into volleyball and k-bells. Convince her shoveling is good conditioning?

You have a good memory. She was babysitting last night and didn't get home until almost 1AM. The couple she was babysitting for lives 2 houses away and they were at a fund raiser for my kids school, so we decided to let her sleep in. That and getting a teenager out of bed earlier on a school day is just painful and aggravating for everyone involved. I wish the boys were a little older and strong enough to lift a shovel full of snow. The youngest one always wants to help, but it's kind of hard for him. By the time he's big enough to actually help, he won't want to anymore and then it will be a fight to get him to do it. Although, anytime the girl gives us problems or rolls her eyes, I can usually motivate her by threatening to take her phone -- check that, the phone I pay for and let her use -- away. I'm sure in a year or so, the car will offer similar motivation :P 

• Like 2