Jump to content

Rebel Mini: Boot Camp


zeroh13

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

 

 

You have until the 5th to get your level up as high as you can. If anyone reaches level 10, they'll be promoted to Elite Cadets and additional skill points will give special bonuses.

Challenge accepted!  ...now excuse me while I go dance for the next twenty six hours.  xD

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

 

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

Link to post

Too bad there is no distance for spinning ;-;
Oh well, I'll just gather all the skill points instead!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

 

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

 

Link to post
14 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Too bad there is no distance for spinning ;-;
Oh well, I'll just gather all the skill points instead!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 

If you have a machine that tells you distance, or have enough info to calculate it, you can count the distance from spinning.

 

6 hours ago, PixiePrincessPea said:

Would the time you spend walking/running apply to your miles and your cardio?

Count the skills the same as you have been doing. And also count the miles. (Plus any other miles.)

  • Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post



If you have a machine that tells you distance, or have enough info to calculate it, you can count the distance from spinning.


Yeah that's the problem. A spinning bike doesn't record anything. So I only have time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

 

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

 

Link to post
On 3/1/2018 at 9:25 AM, zeroh13 said:

Our chances of running into the bandits also increases, which will give you the opportunity to earn bonus experience and gold (depending on the choices made by the group). 

To quantify this, each mile adds a 1% chance of encountering the bandits.  I've added a formula to the spreadsheet that shows the total distance we've covered. Field training ends tonight. However, if we don't encounter the bandits during it, they're still out there, and it's possible we could run into them on our way to the main mission. (Basically, we get two chances. And you can increase the odds by continuing to log your distance tomorrow.)

  • Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post

[61% change of encountering the bandits. Result: 73. Field training ends uneventfully.]

 

Instructions and story and such for the next portion will be posted in the morning (when I'm not falling asleep on my computer).

 

BUT! Continue to record your skills and distance (and there's still a chance to encounter the bandits on your way to the next area).

 

The main mission will bring you new goals to look forward to. I'll leave you with a hint. ;)

 

tumblr_n41ie49a591qexr8do8_400.gif

  • Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post

THE MISSION

 

Welcome back to camp! You may be sore, tired, and covered in mud, but you've completed your training! I think that earns you a nice shower and a good nights sleep. You managed to cover decent ground. And although the bandits were never found, the roads have been quiet. The Merchant's Guild paid a us very modest reward for our work and you all get 160 gold a piece. 

 

Now, don't get too relaxed. The real fun is about to begin! You first job as full fledged Rebels comes from a blacksmith a few towns over. He says that his pride and joy has been taken from him by the local lord. And he will pay anything to get her back. Now, of course the lord refuses to listen to reason. And that's where you come in. You'll split into two groups. One will create a distraction at the castle gates, while the other "quietly" storms the castle from the rear service entrance. There is no backup. If you screw this up, it's all on you.

 

The castle is a day's journey, so we don't have any time to waste. I suggest you use that gold to get yourselves some better equipment and then get going. Good luck, and try not to die!

 

~~~

 

Real world: You can continue to add your distance to the field training sheet until we reach the castle. This will add to the odds of encountering the bandits on the way there (which could mean more gold). Also, continue to hone your skills. You'll want to be prepared!

 

The distraction group is best suited for bards and mages. While the castle storming is best left to the fighters and rogues. But which you join is up to you. Each team has it's own goal, and your score will be determined by how much time is spent on that goal. Your level, skill points, and gold also factor into the score.

 

Create a Distraction

Create something. This could be writing, drawing, composing, programming, creating choreography, etc. This differs from the Entertain and Research skills in that practicing and reading doesn't count. Homework counts if it requires you to do something (write a response or essay, make flash cards, write a study guide, etc).  Do you have anything to show for what you did? Record how many minutes you've spent on this. You also get bonus points for each thing you finish.

 

If you choose this team, your skill points in bard and mage will improve your score.

 

Storm the Castle

Try something new. Specifically, something physical. This could be a workout, a class, a video, going to a new park or trail or gym, etc. Record how many minutes you spend on this. And you also get bonus points for each thing you try.

 

If you choose this team, your skill points in fighter and rogue will improve your score.

 

You can start working on these new goals now! You may not be at the castle yet, but you'll need to plan your course of action. (In other words, being prepared adds to your score. And the best way to be prepared is to do the thing.)

 

Remember, if you have any questions, ask!

  • Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post
32 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

THE MISSION

 

Welcome back to camp! You may be sore, tired, and covered in mud, but you've completed your training! I think that earns you a nice shower and a good nights sleep. You managed to cover decent ground. And although the bandits were never found, the roads have been quiet. The Merchant's Guild paid a us very modest reward for our work and you all get 160 gold a piece. 

 

Now, don't get too relaxed. The real fun is about to begin! You first job as full fledged Rebels comes from a blacksmith a few towns over. He says that his pride and joy has been taken from him by the local lord. And he will pay anything to get her back. Now, of course the lord refuses to listen to reason. And that's where you come in. You'll split into two groups. One will create a distraction at the castle gates, while the other "quietly" storms the castle from the rear service entrance. There is no backup. If you screw this up, it's all on you.

 

The castle is a day's journey, so we don't have any time to waste. I suggest you use that gold to get yourselves some better equipment and then get going. Good luck, and try not to die!

 

~~~

 

Real world: You can continue to add your distance to the field training sheet until we reach the castle. This will add to the odds of encountering the bandits on the way there (which could mean more gold). Also, continue to hone your skills. You'll want to be prepared!

 

The distraction group is best suited for bards and mages. While the castle storming is best left to the fighters and rogues. But which you join is up to you. Each team has it's own goal, and your score will be determined by how much time is spent on that goal. Your level, skill points, and gold also factor into the score.

 

Create a Distraction

Create something. This could be writing, drawing, composing, programming, creating choreography, etc. This differs from the Entertain and Research skills in that practicing and reading doesn't count. Homework counts if it requires you to do something (write a response or essay, make flash cards, write a study guide, etc).  Do you have anything to show for what you did? Record how many minutes you've spent on this. You also get bonus points for each thing you finish.

 

If you choose this team, your skill points in bard and mage will improve your score.

 

Storm the Castle

Try something new. Specifically, something physical. This could be a workout, a class, a video, going to a new park or trail or gym, etc. Record how many minutes you spend on this. And you also get bonus points for each thing you try.

 

If you choose this team, your skill points in fighter and rogue will improve your score.

 

You can start working on these new goals now! You may not be at the castle yet, but you'll need to plan your course of action. (In other words, being prepared adds to your score. And the best way to be prepared is to do the thing.)

 

Remember, if you have any questions, ask!

 

So depending on the answer to this question, I may or may not be much help.

Does minutes count if I am reading AND taking notes? Specifically, I am reading the book and taking at least every other sentence and writing it down in my notes. Almost all my "reading" time is really note time. (I am over 2/3rds thru a 5 subject notebook (at midterm) and 2 pens have died this week alone).  Also, does writing code/doing assignments and taking quizzes count (I don't do many essays)?

  • Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post
3 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

THE MISSION

...

~~~

 

Real world: You can continue to add your distance to the field training sheet until we reach the castle. This will add to the odds of encountering the bandits on the way there (which could mean more gold). Also, continue to hone your skills. You'll want to be prepared!

 

 

Quote

...

You can start working on these new goals now! You may not be at the castle yet, but you'll need to plan your course of action. (In other words, being prepared adds to your score. And the best way to be prepared is to do the thing.)

 

Remember, if you have any questions, ask!

 

So to clarify:

 

- I continue adding 'distance' in the 'Field Training' sheet (until we reach the castle (aka until you tell us not to ;) ) )

- I continue adding minutes to my skills in the 'Skills' sheet

- I start adding minutes to the 'Goal (mins)' column in the 'The mission' sheet

- I continue having fun, because this Mini rocks! B)

 

Thanks already for putting so much effort in it :)

 

Edit:

and please correct me if I am wrong on anything written above...

 

 

  • Like 2

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Link to post
5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Does minutes count if I am reading AND taking notes? Specifically, I am reading the book and taking at least every other sentence and writing it down in my notes. Almost all my "reading" time is really note time. (I am over 2/3rds thru a 5 subject notebook (at midterm) and 2 pens have died this week alone). 

Note taking counts if, the majority of the time, you are paraphrasing or otherwise aren't copying word for word from the book. Does that make sense?

 

Quote

Also, does writing code/doing assignments and taking quizzes count (I don't do many essays)?

Writing code and doing assignments, yes. Quizzes, no.

 

2 hours ago, Iceburner said:

So to clarify:

 

- I continue adding 'distance' in the 'Field Training' sheet (until we reach the castle (aka until you tell us not to ;) ) )

- I continue adding minutes to my skills in the 'Skills' sheet

- I start adding minutes to the 'Goal (mins)' column in the 'The mission' sheet

- I continue having fun, because this Mini rocks! B)

 

Thanks already for putting so much effort in it :)

 

Edit:

and please correct me if I am wrong on anything written above...

You got it right. 

 

2 hours ago, PixiePrincessPea said:

Does the spread sheet add our skill point to our score on it's own?

Correct. All you need to input are the minutes for the goal, and the bonus (number of things completed/tried). And select the correct team in the drop-down thing. That's what tells it which skills to use. Once you select one, you'll notice that you have some points without entering anything. That comes from your skills, gold, and level. (There's some multiplication involved, so it's a little more complicated than just adding those numbers to your score.)

 

2 hours ago, PixiePrincessPea said:

 

Also does baking count for the creating part?

 

My husband and I have been experimenting with macarons.

Baking experimentation sounds like it would fit.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post
1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

Note taking counts if, the majority of the time, you are paraphrasing or otherwise aren't copying word for word from the book. Does that make sense?

 

Ugh... I though it did, however, when taking notes on code samples, I need to basically copy. Because you can't really paraphrase code. I just won't count it since I am not really taking notes like  a history book, its technical info that needs to be more like what the book shows and less paraphrased. So I can't paraphrase it as much as I think you are thinking. 

 

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

Writing code and doing assignments, yes. Quizzes, no.

 

Okay,  don't count on me being able to do much this week. My I have 5 quizzes (at least, one teacher still hasn't posted the homework this week) and one homework assignment that is set up as a quiz.

 

4 hours ago, Iceburner said:

So to clarify:

 

Thanks for asking this. I was wondering the same.

  • Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post
2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

 

Ugh... I though it did, however, when taking notes on code samples, I need to basically copy. Because you can't really paraphrase code. I just won't count it since I am not really taking notes like  a history book, its technical info that needs to be more like what the book shows and less paraphrased. So I can't paraphrase it as much as I think you are thinking. 

Well, I was more thinking of the portions that weren't code. Like, when I studied accounting there was a lot of technical stuff, formulas and tables and such. But there was also the text that explained the technical stuff. Why, when, and how to use it. The exceptions that required using some other formula. Etc. 

  • Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post
1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

Well, I was more thinking of the portions that weren't code. Like, when I studied accounting there was a lot of technical stuff, formulas and tables and such. But there was also the text that explained the technical stuff. Why, when, and how to use it. The exceptions that required using some other formula. Etc. 

Thats the thing. this book isn't big on explaining it unless its breaking down code.

 

So it will be a page or 2 of code, then things like "This figure shows memory allocation for the figure 6.43 before excution of (stuff). As with all local variables, a,b,c are allocated on runtime stack. Compiler translates (code in C++) as (code in machine language)." repeat with next chunk of code (I am in an 80 pg chapter, and its only had maybe 2 definitions or terms, the rest is use cases). I appreciate the attempt, but I will just be safe and not count it. Its not a big deal.  I am just trying to figure out where I can help since I know trying anything new this week is out. Thanks for clarifying.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post
23 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Storm the Castle

Try something new. Specifically, something physical. This could be a workout, a class, a video, going to a new park or trail or gym, etc. Record how many minutes you spend on this. And you also get bonus points for each thing you try.

 

 

I bought a balance board recently but haven't tried it yet... until today. I used it for a 5 minute warm up before  my workout session. Definitely physical and new. It's a start :)

 

Let's see what else we can do...

  • Like 2

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Link to post
11 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Thats the thing. this book isn't big on explaining it unless its breaking down code.

 

So it will be a page or 2 of code, then things like "This figure shows memory allocation for the figure 6.43 before excution of (stuff). As with all local variables, a,b,c are allocated on runtime stack. Compiler translates (code in C++) as (code in machine language)." repeat with next chunk of code (I am in an 80 pg chapter, and its only had maybe 2 definitions or terms, the rest is use cases). I appreciate the attempt, but I will just be safe and not count it. Its not a big deal.  I am just trying to figure out where I can help since I know trying anything new this week is out. Thanks for clarifying.

If you do end up doing any coding this week, with your level and skill points, even just a few minutes would give you a decent score if you go with distraction. You also get free points just by picking a team. ;)

  • Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post
56 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

If you do end up doing any coding this week, with your level and skill points, even just a few minutes would give you a decent score if you go with distraction. You also get free points just by picking a team. ;)

 

Oh, I have an assignment I am probably starting tonight. Its mostly code with screen shots and explain what happened here (so I think it will count). But I will do what I can. if nothing else, I will just keep leveling and go with free points.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post

BANDITS!

 

You're nearly within sight of the castle, after many hours of winding roads through hills and woods that all look the same, when you come across a young couple. It's not hard to tell that they've been in some sort of altercation, and their lack of belongings suggests that they may have been victims of bandits. When you talk to them, they confirm your suspicions and tell you a tale of being waylaid, stripped of all valuables, hogtied, and taken to the bandit camp. After enduring muddy, smelly, and generally unpleasant conditions, luck gave them the opportunity to escape. Which of course they took without delay. And if you would kindly do something about those bandits and return their valuables, they can ensure you get a very nice reward. And of course, they can give you a rather poorly drawn map directing you to the camp. Of if you'd prefer, they could personally guide you back there if you can promise their safety.

 

You get the feeling that these two are from refined families and are unaccustomed to anything less than the best accommodations. And more than a few points in their story sound more than a bit embellished. But, directions to the bandits and a large reward if you can deal with them? On the other hand, you have a job to do, and being late to your first mission would not leave the best of impressions. Plus, there's always the small chance this could be a really elaborate trap, and walking right into a trap would be more than a bit embarrassing.

 

You have three choices:

 

1. Have the couple guide you back to the camp and attempt to ambush the bandits.

2. Escort the couple to town, and let the guards handle the bandits.

3. Why not both? Just split up. One group can escort them to town, and then handle final preparations for your mission. The other group can follow the slightly confusing "map" to the bandit camp and ambush them.

 

Cast your vote here: https://goo.gl/forms/uBymtha5X8sHpJD92

 

You have until tomorrow morning to make your decision (roughly 24 hours). And of course, you can discuss here before voting.

 

(You can stop recording your distance now.)

  • Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post

Whew!  All caught up on the spreadsheet.  Now on to create lots of distractions!  :D 

 

On 3/6/2018 at 7:20 AM, zeroh13 said:

You also get bonus points for each thing you finish

Is there a place to record completed things in the spreadsheet?  Or do we just report it here?  If so, I completed one sketch.  

  • Like 2

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

 

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

Link to post
1 hour ago, Jlailin said:

Is there a place to record completed things in the spreadsheet?  Or do we just report it here?  If so, I completed one sketch.  

In the bonus column, next to the goals, record the number of things you've completed. If you want to share, you can post here, but you don't have to.

  • Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post

BANDITS?!   

 

The group has decided to take the strategic approach. Some of you head off to the bandit camp, while the rest of you continue on.

 

After trudging through the woods for several hours, you determine that the “map” is completely useless, and that you are now completely lost.

 

Meanwhile, those of you on escort duty are probably wishing that you had left the couple on the side of the road. You have been treated to non-stop complaining about anything and everything. And it only got worse after you turned down a “shortcut” that didn't really look like a shortcut. A few hours later you can finally see the town in the distance. As you approach the gates, the couple informs you that they live on that hill, on the other side of this hill, to the west of town. And that they would be more than happy to pay you to escort them the rest of the way home. By this point you're close enough to the WANTED boards, and observant enough, to recognize your friends here, despite their “snooty noble" disguise. You flag the guards over, and moments later you're paid the bounty, and welcomed into town as heros.

 

As for those of you lost in the woods, you do eventually stumble onto the bandits as they're enjoying dinner. And you know, this looks like perfect practice for storming that castle. Your victory is secured with a rather flashy display of strength. Most of the bandits run off into the woods, but you did manage take one prisoner. You now have a feast, all the gear and supplies you can carry, and a guide to town.

  • Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines