Gemma is feeling a bit Tookish

Gemma

Don't Turn to Stone

bilbo-and-trolls.gif

I have all the mobility stuff ... foam rollers, lacrosse ball, miracle ball. Do I use it? Nope. Never even think about it. I'm pretty flexi-bendy for my age, years of dance, martial arts, and forced yoga marches had a lasting effect. Still, though, I am older than I was, and I do have aches and pains and stiffnesses. 

Challenge Goal: Work on mobility, mostly cervical spine but other areas as needed, at least 5 min/night at least 5 nights/week. 

25 points possible

Enjoy Second Breakfast

source.gif

Challenge Goal: This one is simple - I am now on week three of my gym's three-month Nutrition Transformation Challenge - continue to comply with coach's meal plan. Bonus points: streamline meal prep down to 5 hours (currently about 7). 

5 points possible (one point per week, including zero week)

Walk to Mordor

tumblr_mhpa348bEd1s3uvpwo4_500.gif

According to my often-ignored fitness tracker, I average about 6k steps per day. 

Challenge: Walk 7,000 steps per day at least 28 of the 35 challenge days (counting zero week)

A Hobbit Hole Means Comfort

tumblr_mir8y62iXj1qgglx1o2_r1_500.gif

I've made some dents in the library/junk room/cavern. I'll take pics when I'm home during daylight (probably weekend). Time to buckle down and get this library party started! 

Goal: Get rid of enough junk that I can move the remainder to the center, leaving room around the perimeter to start prepping the walls for paint. 

Scoring is simple pass/fail 

Don't Turn to Stone

0/25

Enjoy Second Breakfast

0/5

Walk to Mordor
0/28

0/1

• Like 5

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Read Harder Challenge                                                                                                                                        

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

42 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I've made some dents in the library/junk room/cavern. I'll take pics when I'm home during daylight (probably weekend). Time to buckle down and get this library party started! 

:D:D:D That right there is exciting biz yo!! And mobility? Yeeeah, it's pretty much the best ;) maybe a few days of feeling the goods will help make is a regular thing! Good luck!

• Like 1

Think about what you can do, or maybe delegate to help with meal prep? Is there something you can do during the week, that wouldn't be toolong,maybe while you werewaiting formeals to cook or something?

• Like 1

Khuja the level 2 Dwarf Ranger 
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 1|STA 1|WIS 3|CHA 2
Current challenge

Past Challenges: Challenge 1 (Challenge 1's missing posts) Challenge 2 Challenge 3  Challenge 4

2 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

giphy.gif

That really should have been posted a lot sooner than it was.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28

12 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I was gonna wait until @Gemma complained about something she did wrong.

I'm now looking forward to that happening. I'm hoping for half a dozen fool of a took gifs posted in less than five minutes!

• Haha 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28

23 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Samesies with the mobility stuff.  Have it.  Don't use it. 

Although I am not flexy to begin with..maybe because I have never done a forced yoga march...

Seriously, I thought it was all very important when I bought it ... 

23 hours ago, RedStone said:

:D:D:D That right there is exciting biz yo!! And mobility? Yeeeah, it's pretty much the best ;) maybe a few days of feeling the goods will help make is a regular thing! Good luck!

A few days just might - cause this "once every third blue moon" business hasn't had much effect at all! 

9 hours ago, Grumble said:

Image result for what about elevensies

I'm going to stop saying that my coach makes me eat like a high school linebacker, and start saying that I eat like a Brandybuck. 

8 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Love all of this - theme and goals! Can't wait to see the library-in-the-making!

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

That really should have been posted a lot sooner than it was.

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

I was gonna wait until @Gemma complained about something she did wrong.

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I'm now looking forward to that happening. I'm hoping for half a dozen fool of a took gifs posted in less than five minutes!

LOL! I knew this one would come up sooner than later, I love it, and if all y'all want to gif it again when I start to whine about screwing up something, I'll give any odds you like that the appropriate chance will come before I've walked even to Rivendell.

Reporting in ... 

Yesterday's gym stats:

Squat

45# 2x5

60# 1x3

70# 1x1

80# 3x5

Bench 

45# 2x5

50# 3x5

Deadlift

57# 3x5 (still using the women's bar and technique plates, it feels easy but is just enough strain on my hand that I don't want to push too hard too fast)

Lat pulldown

75# 3x5

My arm feels 100% most of the time, and then suddenly randomly I will do something that seems completely harmless and it will hurt like heck. I was stretching today and went to move into a plank position. NOPE!!! That hand is NOT about to support my weight in full extension. Ouchie ouch ouch. Won't do that again. Well, for a bit.

rqpIGno.gif

Did do mobility stuff last night, laid on Miracle Ball and rolled around my shoulder blades, then foam rolled whole back. Nice, but I lose focus quickly. It's like my yoga problem - short attention span, it seems like I've been doing it for an hour and I look at the clock and three minutes are you even kidding me with that?!?!? But I will do it again at bedtime tonight (very soon. At least in that I am consistent. I turn into a pumpkin at 9 p.m.)

Ate good, even though today was an extra-long day at work so I had to take second breakfast AND lunch AND dinner with me to eat at my desk. An entire tote bag of food containers. I have become that girl. 

Yesterday I logged 6,899 steps, and that was right at the edge of "hard to do" which is how I got to the 7k/day figure. I'll ramp it up once this feels not-hard. 

Today I got 7,201 - the weather here is beautiful so it seemed reasonable to take a long walk around the campus on my lunch hour. 

Total towards Mordor: 6.9 miles

Overtime day at work, got home an hour before bedtime, so no work on Hobbit Hole today. Tomorrow will be the same. (I mean, I guess I could be tidying now instead of being on the forums, but that seems -- unlikely.)

Don't Turn to Stone

1/25

Enjoy Second Breakfast

2/5

Walk to Mordor
1/28

0/1

• Like 6

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

16 hours ago, Gemma said:

I'm going to stop saying that my coach makes me eat like a high school linebacker, and start saying that I eat like a Brandybuck. 

YESSSSSSS!

Did do mobility stuff last night, laid on Miracle Ball and rolled around my shoulder blades, then foam rolled whole back. Nice, but I lose focus quickly. It's like my yoga problem - short attention span, it seems like I've been doing it for an hour and I look at the clock and three minutes are you even kidding me with that?!?!? But I will do it again at bedtime tonight (very soon. At least in that I am consistent. I turn into a pumpkin at 9 p.m.)

Do you listen to audio material when you foam roll? I find that podcasts or audiobooks help me enjoy the foam roll and static stretching at the end of my day more / make the excrutiating time waiting for the knots to release pass more quickly.

Ate good, even though today was an extra-long day at work so I had to take second breakfast AND lunch AND dinner with me to eat at my desk. An entire tote bag of food containers. I have become that girl. 

I am that guy at the office and I love it!!

Yesterday I logged 6,899 steps, and that was right at the edge of "hard to do" which is how I got to the 7k/day figure. I'll ramp it up once this feels not-hard. 

Today I got 7,201 - the weather here is beautiful so it seemed reasonable to take a long walk around the campus on my lunch hour. 

Total towards Mordor: 6.9 miles

Overtime day at work, got home an hour before bedtime, so no work on Hobbit Hole today. Tomorrow will be the same. (I mean, I guess I could be tidying now instead of being on the forums, but that seems -- unlikely.)

Don't Turn to Stone

1/25

Enjoy Second Breakfast

2/5

Walk to Mordor
1/28

0/1

Sounds like things are starting off great!!

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

6 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Do you listen to audio material when you foam roll? I find that podcasts or audiobooks help me enjoy the foam roll and static stretching at the end of my day more / make the excrutiating time waiting for the knots to release pass more quickly.

Never even thought of that - I have been trying to do it at bedtime (not always successful, see below), so it's after all electronics are off and on charger, but this is worth considering. Maybe I should move mobility up to ... right after getting home from work, maybe? Hmmm...

Today - a little more volume, less weight. My hand was bothering me and I didn't want to strain it.

Squat

45# 2x5

60# 1x3

70# 3x5

Press 

45# 5x5

skipped deadlift because hand - still trying not to be stupid and make it worse

Lat pulldown

90# 5x6

Did the mobility stuff last night, sort of. I cheated. Totally forgot at bedtime, remembered during one of my many insomnia fits so got up and did it at 1 a.m.ish. Still. Did. 

Ate good. I gave myself some extra incentive to get meal prep done efficiently this weekend. Decided that I need to figure out if I can shoot yet - I should be okay at least with the .22. So if I finish all prep on Saturday, then Sunday after church is range day. (Even if my right hand is not as ready for this as I think it is, I can always use more left-handed practice.) 

Walking was hard today - lots of meetings, phone calls, e-mails. Got <6k steps. Will fight again another day. 

Overtime again, so no tidying. Goal for tomorrow - clear off at least one of the old fall-y apart-y shelf units that needs to go to the dumpster. 

Don't Turn to Stone

2/25

Enjoy Second Breakfast

3/5

Walk to Mordor
1/28

0/1

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

I cheated. Totally forgot at bedtime, remembered during one of my many insomnia fits so got up and did it at 1 a.m.ish. Still. Did. 

Still counts. Insomnia is the best.

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

9 hours ago, Grumble said:

Still counts. Insomnia is the best.

It does have its uses. I get so much reading done in the magical hours between 0130 and 0300. 

• Like 1

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Proud of you for adulting and for being nice to your hand. Recovery is recovery. :D

So many other Warriors are trying to adult this challenge, I got caught up in the excitement ;)

ay_ay160808_201704201306.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

awesome goals this round!!

22 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

15 hours ago, Gemma said:

Never even thought of that - I have been trying to do it at bedtime (not always successful, see below), so it's after all electronics are off and on charger, but this is worth considering. Maybe I should move mobility up to ... right after getting home from work, maybe? Hmmm...

i do this! i have a reminder set on my phone for ~30minutes after I get home from work to do my mobility. I usually do it while dinner is cooking and i'm listening to an audiobook. I actually look forward to that time now :) 

• Like 3

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

2 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i do this! i have a reminder set on my phone for ~30minutes after I get home from work to do my mobility. I usually do it while dinner is cooking and i'm listening to an audiobook. I actually look forward to that time now :) 

Nice! I turn the lights down low, put on a podcast or audiobook, and do it as the last thing before bed (focusing on slow, deep breaths as well to help me wind down).

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

7 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

7 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Nice! I turn the lights down low, put on a podcast or audiobook, and do it as the last thing before bed (focusing on slow, deep breaths as well to help me wind down).

Tried it. Liked it. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5076512

Of course, the hubs felt a little neglected, because he had a rough day at work and I didn't know it, so I got home and went straight up to foam roll before he got his chance to vent (I'm a bad wife!) but he feels better now. That won't be a problem most days, I am usually home at least a half hour before him, but this has been super-overtime week. <eyeroll>

So mobility got done last night and already today, so Yay! 

Food is all getting eaten, I didn't gym today and noticed that I was a LOT less hungry than yesterday so didn't do much with my discretionary "snack" calories. i'd never noticed a big difference between gym days and rest days before, so this will be another interesting thing to watch for possible correlation. 

Walking - nope. Not even 5k today. That mess is *hard* when you have a desk job and you're busy! I get up and away from my desk frequently, but it is hard to go far without consciously taking a full half hour to walk around the campus. And I am too big of a wimp to do that on cold drizzly windy days like this. 

The-Hobbit-image-the-hobbit-36117983-500

Don't Turn to Stone

4/25

Enjoy Second Breakfast

0/5

Walk to Mordor
1/28

0/1

• Like 4

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

gif game on point - glad you liked the auditory stimulation!! helps take your mind off *this is so GD boringgggg ugh*

14 hours ago, Gemma said:

i'd never noticed a big difference between gym days and rest days before, so this will be another interesting thing to watch for possible correlation. 

i've also never really noticed a big difference! color me intrigued.

• Haha 1

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Whoa - zero week over already? 

tumblr_lxm6bw17sy1qgleo5.gif

Weekend recap: I meal-prepped (including grocery shopping) all day Saturday. Then on Sunday I went to church and then back to the range. I can shoot, the only things my arm/hand really weren't up for was slamming the magazine into the gun with my right hand when shooting with my left (or tap-and-rack maneuvers, when needed) and one-handed shooting.  I can shoot one-handed, it just fatigued my elbow really super fast. Not too bad considering I haven't shot for four months, though. 

tumblr_n2pb5bLE181qgco7qo1_500.gif

Mobility - Friday: yes, Weekend: no and no, Today: not yet. 

Fooding still good. Phase two starts next week, coach will probably adjust my calories down a bit, I'm still putting on about a pound a week.

Walking - pretty easy on weekdays in good weather, since my job is on a big campus with lots of sidewalks. Much harder on weekends and when it's rainy. 

Tidying - I got one of my old crappy bookshelves completely cleared off and ready to go to the dump, but I immediately occupied that floorspace with a basket-storage doohickey to solve my 'messy pile of craft and sewing supplies' problem. Like this: 

product.chain%5D

This is so hard, y'all. I want to get as much furniture and stuff OUT of the room as humanly possible, so I can paint it and do the floors and stuff, but there is so much in there that doesn't have anywhere else in my house to live, so that leads to bringing MORE stuff in to neatly store the stuff that has to be there in ... there is so much STUFF! 

And I'm about to have more stuff! NOT in my "library," though. Youngest offspring person just got out of the Army. He asked if he could store some stuff at my house until he gets his own place. I told him not more than what will fit in the monkey room (the room that used to be his, now decorated with zoo animals for the grandminions.) I will not let my Hobbit Hole become storage for anyone else's junk, it's bad enough with just mine and the hubs'. 

I did start another book purge pile, though. Duplicates, for sure, and a respectable number of books that when I looked at them (on shelves I haven't looked at for years) I could not remember *why* I bought them. My goal is to have a big enough box full by this weekend to make it worth a trip down into town to the used bookstore to try to dispose of them.

Gym today:

Squat

warm-ups, then 85# 3x5

Press

warm-ups then 60# 3x3 - - dang! Could NOT get the 4th rep up on any set. 55# went up pretty easy last week. This frustrated me. It feels too soon to start microloading this. Sigh. 

Lat Pulldown

90# 3x8

tenor.gif?itemid=4950304

So zero week totals, plus today so far:  

Don't Turn to Stone

5/25

Enjoy Second Breakfast

1/5

Walk to Mordor
5/28. 

0/1

• Like 5

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

Ahhhhh STUFF! I know what you mean. We have so many hobbies between the two of us that we have so much stuff. Sometimes you just have to organize the best you can, and then pair down what you have duplicates of or unnecessary items. (Like I had six SIX 6 kitchen spatulas and only used the 3 I loved if at all possible.)

I've started following a minimalism FB page. I'm not about to become a quote unquote minimalist because I like a certain level of decor and things, but it is helping me think through how to pair down on the junk. Like, how many sentimental-but-I-don't-wear-it t-shirts do I reeeeaaaallly need?

Shelving definitely helps. Our one spare room has almost an entire wall of shelving because we don't have a garage. It basically IS our garage, lol.

• Like 3

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Press is the ficklest! try not to beat yourself up over it. microloading is OK!

• Like 3

Instagram | pinterest