Winter in Alamut

@mu

9 hours ago, @mu said:

Thanks for the tip!

Well the sluggishness / meh feelings were just preliminaries it seems. I'm now completely under :moody:  and a total zombie :mask: I can barely get out of my bed and my voice is very broken / almost gone. See you later when I have resurfaced :grey:

:( Feel better soon. 

• Thanks 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Thanks!

Well I'm slowly creeping out of zombie land. Saturday and Sunday I couldn't do a thing. Today I managed to get through Goal 1 (Push/Pull) and 3 (Puzzle). Didn't push it and had longer rest time. I'm not sure I will be able to catch up with all my workouts, I will see at the end of the week and mark the missing ones as off/ill.

Notes

Goal 1

Meat hook progression on silks x2 on each side

Did left and right in a row, sort of a windshield sweeper variation. Will stay on this variation for a while I think.

HSPUs in sling: 3+ reps working on good form

I had a hard time pushing back, had to widen my hands width. And arched to get back up...

Everything else was sort of below/around my baseline, having a bit of a harder time but it was good to get moving again.

Goal 3

Well the plan was to practice my belay entries. Did the hand-made knot and knee pull over entries on both sides. But it was really hard. I will have to spend another session on it because I haven't really managed to polish any of them. I did try another entry for a belay variation that could get me into a knee hang if not an ankle hang. But just once and very close to the floor to check the wrap.

Haa this weird pain in my upper hamstring / lower glutes  is coming up, I have had it before and I think it comes from overstretching my pancake somehow :(

Goal 1: Push-Pull

Core – 12 sessions - 4/12

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2+ set 1

1. (1.5) 2 (1 / 1) 1 (1.5) 2

2. #ill (1 / 1) 1

Dead hang to inverted pike x3 from bars (no silks / wrapping to catcher Left / Right)

1. [bent legs, foot help x2] 3 3 3
2. #ill 3

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2+ set 2

1. 2.5 2 (1 / 1.5) 2
2. #ill 2

Dead hang long arms straddle up x2+ - LR

1. [bent legs] 2L 2R 2L 2R 2L 3R
2. #ill 2L (1 foot help) 2R (1 foot help)

Support B – 6 sessions - 2/6

1. [floor, split silks, pull up to wrapped bent arms, tuck extension] 1R-1L 1L-1R
2. #ill 1R1L (tog) 1L1R (tog)

1. 3
2. #ill 3

Goal 3: Apparatus puzzle – 4 sessions

0. s-wrap –> 3 entries tested – 1 okayish (from bar)

1. s-wrap –> +1 entry tested: nope; belay –> 4 entries tested: 2 ok/okayish (hand-made knot, knee pull over)

2. #ill belay: practice of ok entries +  test of another belay for knee/ankle hang

• Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

6 hours ago, @mu said:

Haa this weird pain in my upper hamstring / lower glutes  is coming up, I have had it before and I think it comes from overstretching my pancake somehow :(

Hope it's nothing too bad! I pulled my hamstring in exactly that way and it's one of those injuries that likes to come back over and over again. :( 

8 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Glad you’ve emerged from the zombie ness :-)

Thanks! I'm still a bit achy and coughing, but I'm starting to see the light!

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hope it's nothing too bad! I pulled my hamstring in exactly that way and it's one of those injuries that likes to come back over and over again. :( 

Yep and it is a bloody pain in the butt. This time I researched it a bit more and it feels like this thing:  proximal hamstring tendinopathy (bless you)

Found this useful comment here:

This is the dancer/gymnast type [vs. sprinting type] - sometimes not adequately labeled hamstring tendinopathy.  Usually involves proximal free tendon of semimembranosus.  If you do a front split, flex your affected knee which should be in front, then bring your head to your knee, this should reproduce your pain.

Yep totally.

And then I found this with matching symptoms as well:
https://www.pogophysio.com.au/blog/exercises-for-proximal-hamstring-tendinopathy/

It is most commonly aggravated by activities that involve compressive loads on the hamstring tendon for example when the hamstring is working with the hip flexed, long periods of sitting or driving, deep lunges, overstretching of the hamstrings and running at faster speeds and uphill.

There is a set of exercises to do 2-3x daily. I will start tonight. I will obviously have to go much much lighter on the pancake. It's affecting my straddle up as well.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Will see how it goes! I was too lazy to do them yesterday but did the first set this morning and went on with Goal 2.

I did some front bend variations to avoid  asking too much of my hamstrings. It wasn't a very intense session overall. My elbow stand feels a tad bit stronger / more controlled though. It was nice.

Goal 2: Bend – 8 sessions - 3/8

Standing back drop to support 3 - 3 / 3 -

Elevated Jefferson curls 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams low intensity] 3 -

Camel bend back drop 3 - 3 / 3 -

Pancake 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 -

Elbow stand to bridge on sofa back to front 3 - 3 / 3 -

Legs behind shoulder/neck 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 -

Today is also a national holiday and we are waiting for friends to share a late breakfast / brunch. And this afternoon, theatre practice. I still sound like a teenage boy breaking his voice but hey, getting back to life little by little.

• Like 2

Hope the exercises help it out AND you feel better soon. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Thank you!

Some notes on today and my goal sheets below. I also did my ham physio with my warmup. Will do another set tonight.

Goal 1 (Push/Pull)

A few PBs today, I'm very happy because I'm still not 100% recovered, so was kinda cool :lol:

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2

Got my baseline reps on first try in both sets. I'm chasing the 3rd rep. I can feel its tail :P

Dead hang to inverted pike x3 from bars

Still need foot help when wrapped, having hands at a lower height does not change anything.

1-arm hold progression LR

PB! exactly 17s on both sides, both looks wormy, right side is a neater worm though. Quite happy with this!

Bent arm pike press + hold on parallettes with ball

PB! 20s and I started moving my feet with the ball a wee bit, nothing fancy, just tucking a bit and going back up. Now that I see the video, I think I could have gone a bit closer to vertical. I keep falling over, might be good to practice closer to my falling point up there.

Did the reps but they were not good, hamstrings were definitely not in the mood.

Goal 4 (Movement quality)

I wasn't up to do the kitten's improv because my energy level is still a bit low especially after Goal 1.

I worked on slowness, one improv on tension building using a track from Once upon a time in the West.

And the other on zombie-ness using a movie track called Holy Dread, that one has no tension / suspense in it, it's more like “ambient zombie”.

First one was okayish but I worked with the belay knot to get a sort of a hanging scene, and on such a low height, it was a bit of a non-event really, could have worked for comedy maybe. But I was slower than previously and added fast bits here and there for contrast / tension. The sort of choreography that happened was just not very satisfying.

Zombie-ness was about slowness, low energy, melting movements, broken lines and pikes of necromantic activity. It was fun to do, I really enjoyed it. Not that it was easy because even tiny aerial movements require quite a bit of tension/energy, hard to make that look limpy. Unfortunately on my first try, the cat went and sat in front of the camera :rolleyes:  I have no idea what it looked like... And then on the second run, my tablet ran out of space, so I only have a small bit of it. And then I had to rush to work... But I really would like to work on that theme again. There are bits and pieces in my small bit of recording that could be interesting to work on / develop somehow.

A couple of points:

• Slow is still not slow enough, doing some tests on my video editor I still need to reduce speed by like 50-70% (!)

• A few moments reminded of something that one of my aerial teachers used to say: Always finish your movement. Go fast or slow, but you still need to finish the movement, do not skip the end of it. And it's true. All the bits that I see and I'm like mhm something is missing, it is usually because I didn't go til the end of the movement, it should have gone further but didn't. It makes transitions look a bit awkward too. I can see it but I do not always feel it... Practice practice!

Core – 12 sessions - 5/12

2. #ill (1 / 1) 1 2

Dead hang to inverted pike x3 from bars (no silks / wrapping to catcher Left / Right)

2. #ill 3 3

1. 2.5 2 (1 / 1.5) 2
2. #ill 2 2

2. #ill #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R (foot help x1) - 2L (foot help x2) 2R (foot help x1)

Support A – 6 sessions - 3/6

1. [from bar] 13s R 4s 10s L - 8s R 14s L
2. 17s R 17s L

1. 10s - 17s
2. 20s

Goal 4: Movement quality – 4 sessions

1.Wringing - sticky spider web / percussive - Maori haka

2. Slowness: once upon a time in the west - a hanging - building tension / holy dread - ambient zombie

• Like 1

Oooh, zombie sounds like it could be very fun.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

28 minutes ago, raptron said:

Oooh, zombie sounds like it could be very fun.

Yes imagine doing a zombie routine on your preferred gymnastics apparatus :D I googled it just in case, you never know, and this is what I found:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes imagine doing a zombie routine on your preferred gymnastics apparatus :D I googled it just in case, you never know, and this is what I found:

Zombie gym... I should try! 

Sorry to see that you have been sick - hope all goes better! I especially hate losing my voice, because then I don't feel like I am myself... J'espere que tu iras mieux tout vite!!!

Hope your harmstring gets better too - I have reccuring wrists injuries, and when I huyrt I canoot lift at all (like ZERO not even the bar), and I feel miserable. Sending lots of happy thoughts and strength and recuperation power your way so you can move freely as usual fast!!! :beaten:

• Thanks 1

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

Merciiii!

Do you do wrist warmup? It does really help and it strengthen them over time. And it does not take too long. If you like, I can find a few links for you (rotations + wrist walks and pressure holds on the palm and the other side as well).

I uploaded a video of my 1-arm hold and ball press / hold.  I totally worm the 1-arm to avoid twisting / to keep some sort of control over my scapula. Right side is a bit British: ok let's pretend I'm simply sitting here and having tea :lol: Left side looks like I'm going to have a poop right there in the air  :D

• Like 1

:D Notice I removed the sound, it would have been too much really :lol:

Got on with Goal 2 today, still being careful about the ham.

Also did my ham physio. One left to do tonight. I might keep those for quite a while in my warmup actually because I don't do a lot of glute specific stuff and it feels good indeed. Otherwise I do ATG squats with light-weight clubs to warmup but that's it.

Goal 2: Bend – 8 sessions – 4/8

Standing back drop to support 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Elevated Jefferson curls 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams low intensity] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bend] 3

Camel bend back drop 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Pancake 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3

Elbow stand to bridge on sofa back to front 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Legs behind shoulder/neck 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3

Hopefully tomorrow I can get on with Goal 1 and 5, and I will be good for week 2 despite the bloody virus. I will move around my rest days to compensate.

23 hours ago, @mu said:

Hahah, I actually immediately thought about a zombie floor routine but couldn't mentally square how the tumbling would work out in an otherwise kind of shambling routine, heheh.

Love your one-armed hang flails. XD 

• Haha 1

Raptron, alot assassin

I fell asleep in a bad position, neck is not happy at all. And I still have a runny nose. Kitten was in Gozdilla mood during the night, the kitchen was a mess this morning. How to start the day in a good mood...

Anyway morning practice, notes below and Week 2 wrap up below.

Goal 1

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2

I was not feeling the 3rd rep at all today. Getting my hips up was very hard work and balancing was also a bit clumsy. Fell over during warmup and for 1 set.

Dead hang to inverted pike x3 from bars

Still foot pushes when wrapped. I know I managed without it a couple of times so it's feasible. But it's not happening right now.

Dead hang long arms straddle up

Hamstrings still not happy but managed full reps on the R, but L had to foot push a bit...

HSPUs in sling

Wide arms and arching on the way back up. I still haven't found the right pathway when I'm coming back up, despite the sling support, there is still a bit of balancing to do and I'm struggling with that bit. Not great but a bit of improvement on the descent, I'm properly going over my elbows now.

Meathook progression

Getting there, will stay at this variation for a while, focus on holding longer and making the reps cleaner, get comfy at that level so to speak.

Goal 5

I have found a sequence now. It starts with a knee climb, when I get up I grab the bar for a one-arm hold, go into hip lock from a mixed grip (silks+bar). Up there, a wee mobile hang back to hip lock. Split hip lock and tourniquet. And during the spin, I want to make it look like I'm walking the bars with my body on the horizontal plane. It's very clumsy right now but it works! Then back to berceau position, to sail and exit. Maybe I will show pics of each bit, so that it is understandable.

It needs a lot of work and it will very likely take longer than this challenge, but I'm happy to take it on for the long run. My challenges are starting to look like one big battle log maybe.

~~ WEEK 2 SHEETS ~~

Core – 12 sessions - 6/12

2. #ill (1 / 1) 1 2 2

2. #ill 3 3 3

1. 2.5 2 (1 / 1.5) 2
2. #ill 2 2 (1.5) 2

2. #ill #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R (foot help x1) - 2L (foot help x2) 2R (foot help x1) #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R

Support A – 6 sessions - 3/6

1. [from bar] 13s R 4s 10s L - 8s R 14s L
2. 17s R 17s L

1. 10s - 17s
2. 20s

Support B – 6 sessions - 3/6

1. [floor, split silks, pull up to wrapped bent arms, tuck extension] 1R-1L 1L-1R
2. #ill 1R1L (tog) 1L1R (tog) - 1L1R (tog) 1R1L (tog)

1. 3
2. #ill [wide arms, arching] 3 4

Goal 2: Bend – 8 sessions – 4/8

Standing back drop to support 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Elevated Jefferson curls 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams low intensity] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bend] 3

Camel bend back drop 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Pancake 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3

Elbow stand to bridge on sofa back to front 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Legs behind shoulder/neck 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3

Goal 3: Apparatus puzzle – 4 sessions

0. s-wrap –> 3 entries tested – 1 okayish (from bar)

1. s-wrap –> +1 entry tested: nope.
belay –> 4 entries tested: 2 ok/okayish (hand-made knot, knee pull over)

2. #ill belay: practice of ok entries + floor test of another belay for knee/ankle hang

Goal 4: Movement quality – 4 sessions

1.Wringing - sticky spider web / percussive - Maori haka

2. Slowness: once upon a time in the west - a hanging - building tension / holy dread - ambient zombie

Goal 5: Sequencing – 4+ sessions

1. twisty descent – sumo – open wrap – chest back bend; s-wrap rock and roll flow

2. double knee climb – 1-arm hold – hip lock - mobile – split hip lock – tourniquet + bar walk - berceau - sail

• Like 2

Here is the Goal 5 sequence in visual bullet points.

Spoiler

Knee climb
01-knee-climb2.jpg.2056217bcfde6b539bac141c18c4e10c.jpg

To 1-arm hold

02-1-arm2.jpg.64c3318f051157bced2d1ddc80f05158.jpg

To hip lock
03-to-hip-lock.jpg.cd851786e6e8b8376aeacb672e7e3704.jpg

Hip lock

04-hip-lock.jpg.a7b42f691e6c39d74a30e70a7118f178.jpg

To mobile hang

05-mobile2.jpg.16c473504a3bc09cd62713ce2eacfda5.jpg

To split hip lock

06-split-hip-lock3.jpg.49a4aa127819de7ea9b8f47ea0d4ac36.jpg

To bar walk/run

07-bar-walk.jpg.3cc1ee0fc1a44bcf87ac2b375d607caa.jpg

To spin / tourniquet

08-spin.jpg.bd9a88a2157c9275516109030d4dc072.jpg

To berceau

09-berceau2.jpg.438c6f5e44feec3dc5cd1f29d5f94d3c.jpg

To sail

10-sail2.jpg.b961a18f670b4f8935937bd651c15a37.jpg

And exit

I might change things a little bit but I will try to stick to that skeleton. It's more interesting than the stuff I came up with last week, which was sort of silks only. This one uses the whole apparatus. And I can run it from beginning to the end. Now I have a TON of things to work on but it's exciting!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @mu said:

My challenges are starting to look like one big battle log maybe.

But it’s an amazing, ninjaesque battle log! :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

otterbyte, level 3 chirpy otter assassin

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

current challenges: otterbyte juggles priorities  \\ old challenges:4-week: DEC16 * JAN17 * FEB 17 * APR 17 * JAN 18\\ Assassin MiniChallenge: Epic Throwdown Championship * Assassin's Age: Origins \\ Monkey Tamers United

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett

You look strong from the one hand hangs - especially on the left, you're pretty stable.  

Silks progressions look good too!  Btw I've signed up for silks classes in a month's time (my sleuth skills had me sign up even before they were announced, hee hee).

Intrigued to hear your cat messed up your kitchen.  I despair at my dog dropping hairs the minute I've cleaned the floor, but at least he doesn't destroy stuff (the worst he does is jump up to any food stuff left out).

Yeah, that looks very cool! 

Raptron, alot assassin

18 hours ago, otterbyte said:

But it’s an amazing, ninjaesque battle log! :ph34r:

Cheers! What happened to cartwheels by the way? I will have to check your thread out!

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Thanks for the visuals - what you have so far looks great!

14 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

You look strong from the one hand hangs - especially on the left, you're pretty stable.  

13 hours ago, raptron said:

Yeah, that looks very cool! 

Thanks for the support and feedback guys!

Silks progressions look good too!  Btw I've signed up for silks classes in a month's time (my sleuth skills had me sign up even before they were announced, hee hee).

Haaa that's great! Enjoy! I do miss classes and workshops every so often. I miss having somebody who has a training plan for me, among other things. Although I remember not always liking it :lol:

Intrigued to hear your cat messed up your kitchen.  I despair at my dog dropping hairs the minute I've cleaned the floor, but at least he doesn't destroy stuff (the worst he does is jump up to any food stuff left out).

Well, from what we saw, she probably jumped on the kitchen table and had a slide (tablecloth was half out). The sugar pot, that is usually on the table, was on the floor, not broken fortunately but the lid had come off. We both had heard that noise, but hadn't bothered to get up... There was a huge spread of sugar, and of course during the night, she walked all over it and spread it further. I don't know if she had wet paws or licked the stuff, but in the morning, the kitchen floor was all sticky with sugar lumps all over the place. She also managed to reach the tissue box, that was not properly hidden, and chew something like half of it. There were bits of chewed tissue all over as well. It was her “let's do snow” improv night.
She also drops hair (it's a pain with the carpet) but at this stage it feels like a minor disturbance :D

Yesterday afternoon was theatre practice. And tonight is on also, it is going to be a long day. On Tuesday we have the "guidance" review by the Ministry of Culture  -_-

This morning was Goal 2 with some ball drills (arm / chest rolls and foot manipulation). Not sure why but on back drops, I had some fear going back with 2 hands at the same time, much more than usual. I did smaller bends for those, but more of them to compensate. Elbow stand was also shaky, barely held. "Meh" day I guess. Hams are still on strike.

Goal 2: Bend – 8 sessions – 5/8

Standing back drop to support 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 -

Elevated Jefferson curls 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams low intensity] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bend] 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bend / half bent sitting pike ] 3 -

Camel bend back drop 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 -

Pancake 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 -

Elbow stand to bridge on sofa back to front 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 -

Legs behind shoulder/neck 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 -

• Like 2