Winter in Alamut

@mu

9 hours ago, @mu said:

ok I will create the post. I have read the PvP rules. Is it ok with you if we set the end date to the end of this challenge (March 11)  and we allow other people to join in?

if thats the rules of the forum then yes. but then maybe we should let people to sign up so we know who post next, and make it clear its not a game of HORSE, but a friendly challenge! :)

Be like water my friend

12 hours ago, raptron said:

Hmmm! I mean, I definitely consider lats mid back. Maybe you are talking about lower traps? I personally also can't isolate my lower traps very well (they're between your scapula and your spine). Overhead mobility and lower lat training (the stretch above, pec stretches, wall angels, face the wall with your arms in a Y and try to just squeeze your scapula together to get them off the wall) could help what you are talking about. 

Also, if I am envisioning what you are talking about correctly, maybe something like low cobra-ish thoracic extension drills? REALLY making sure you are not using your low back only. 

@Mad Hatter  might have a different take on the middle back in a bridge topic! 

She definitely has some stuff for this!  I can’t find the link to a document she created though.  Shows how much work on opening my thoracic spine I’ve been doing...

1 hour ago, Norgaard said:

if thats the rules of the forum then yes. but then maybe we should let people to sign up so we know who post next, and make it clear its not a game of HORSE, but a friendly challenge! :)

Ok. I wrote a new thread there, let me know if you want rephrase the intro stuff. It's your turn!

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Wee challenge update

I had Goal 1 this morning + some PvP parallettes, I'm really enjoying that one :D

Goal 1 notes

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2+

Rep 3 totally eluded me today :( My balance was so so, fell over, wasted energy adjusting.

1-arm hold

Ridiculously slippery grip in my first attempts. Had to do several sets.

PB on the right: 25s! And a little improvement on the left too: 20s

Ball parallettes press

Meeeh parallettes were not friendly today, had to do a few sets to get somewhere. I fell over a few times. Managed 26s when I decided to keep quiet and not move my legs all over the place.

Long arm straddle up

Still feeling the ham. And still working on back and hips issues., and negatives.

Then I ran out of time. So I will do Goal 4 tomorrow.

Goal 1: Push-Pull

Core – 12 sessions - 9/12

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2+ set 1

1. (1.5) 2 (1 / 1) 1 (1.5) 2

2. #ill (1 / 1) 1 2 2

3. 3 3 2

Dead hang to inverted pike x3 from bars (no silks / wrapping to catcher Left / Right)

1. [bent legs, foot help x2] 3 3 3
2. #ill 3 3 3

3. . [foot help x1] 3 3 3

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2+ set 2

1. 2.5 2 (1 / 1.5) 2
2. #ill 2 2 (1.5) 2

3. 3 2(1.5) 2

Dead hang long arms straddle up x2+ - LR

1. [bent legs] 2L 2R 2L 2R 2L 3R
2. #ill #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R (foot help x1) - 2L (foot help x2) 2R (foot help x1) #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R

3. #pulled_hams 2L 2R - 2L (foot help x1) 2R - 2L 2R

Support A – 6 sessions - 5/6

1-arm hold progression LR

1. [from bar] 13s R 4s 10s L - 8s R 14s L
2. #ill 17s R 17s L

3. 19s R 11s 16s L - 14s 25s R 6s 20s L

Bent arm pike press + hold on parallettes with ball

1. 10s - 17s
2. #ill 20s

3. 22s - 17s 8s 26s

Shopping went well, it was rather efficient for both of us.
And the pollution was not too bad today, the sky was even quite clear. I took a picture but my camera's quality is getting really really poor.
This is in central Tehran, in an old street from the Qajar era (Laleh-zar), and this is the bazaar for chandeliers :lol: Shame my camera is crap, it's a beautiful building.

20180301_165932.jpg.b6172a4f8bf3ec139d67a7c3e880a2e6.jpg

• Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Today was some PvP parallettes again + Goal 4.

I tried to do the kitten improv but my mind wasn't really into it. The kitten was not amused either. Sometimes when she is out of breath, she does this heavy breathing doggy sound (with the tongue out and everything, like a dog). I was doing that and she totally got that I was somehow mocking her (or maybe she didn't like my doggy face). She kept jumping me until I stopped :lol:We had a fun little battle, but movement quality? nope, really. Next week I need to prepare this session a bit better. I didn't have the proper "head space" for it this week, too much stuff to do / a lot of running around, which did not help.

I worked a bit on my routine because I feel I haven't done much on that Goal compared to the last challenge, just the bare minimum. But I wasn't very inspired with movement improvisation either :unsure:

Then I realised that what I really wanted to do was some parallettes + silks, so I just did that.

Goal 4: Movement quality – 4 sessions

1. Wringing - sticky spider web / percussive - Maori haka

2. Slowness: once upon a time in the west - a hanging - building tension / holy dread - ambient zombie

3. Kitten / routine [not very focused]

• Like 3

7 hours ago, @mu said:

Then I realised that what I really wanted to do was some parallettes + silks, so I just did that.

Totally fine! :D 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

10 minutes ago, sylph said:

A word of note: Open mouth breathing in cats is REALLY unusual and can be a sign of some pretty significant health problems. Getting her heart/lungs checked out by a vet would probably be a good idea.

I feel like it is really common with my cats during periods of overheating -- like strenuous exercise! But vet checks are never a bad thing. :) 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yes I have already checked with the vet actually when we had her spayed,  he said the sort of panting she does is normal after intense exercise. It happens for instance when she runs the wall after the cat laser light... :D it comes back to normal fairly quickly.

Yesterday was theatre rehearsal and during one of the pauses, I did some acro with the young woman who does gymnastics. It was really cool. I got her in front balance over my shoulder (she is a small weight), she had never done it before so she was a bit surprised when it worked first time. It's great to be able to say to someone:  just do a pullover around my upper arm and they can do it  :lol:

Then she did something to me that I had never done: I went into a bridge, then she asked me if I could hold there, I replied well yes, and she went on and did a straddle L-sit hold on my hip bones :blink::D I thought she had meant just holding the bridge :D But it was lovely to get used that way :lol: I think I'm a base at heart. It was really really good fun!

And today:

Goal 2: Bend – 8 sessions – 7/8

Standing back drop to support 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3

Elevated Jefferson curls 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams low intensity] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bend] 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bend / half bent sitting pike ] 3 - [#pulled_hams standing pike low intensity ] 3 / [#pulled_hams standing pike low intensity ] 3

Camel bend back drop 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3

Pancake 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3

Elbow stand to bridge on sofa back to front 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3

Legs behind shoulder/neck 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3

Still not pushing the hams, but otherwise the usual. Added some cobra work in my warmup/prep stretching.

This is already the beginning of the LAST week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Those videos are so amazing. You are so strong and flexible. I am in awe of your paralette skills. 

Thanks! I started last year in May, at the time, I couldn't do any press at all. It's coming little by little, sweaty rep by sweaty rep :P GMB really helped me get started (Parallettes 1).

See you on the PvP!

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 7:17 PM, @mu said:

Mhm, that's interesting, I do this stretch at the end of my push/pull workouts but it mostly gets into my shoulders/lats. Wait you're right, the lats  ARE the middle back, aren't they?
I'm confused now. I can isolate those. But say in a bridge, if I work my back, from the lower to the upper back and vice-versa, at times, I can feel a curve coming that is neither upper not lower but in the middle proper. I have very little control over it, I can't really isolate that bit. Is that the lats or the lower part of the trapezius or the upper part of the lower back? or something else entirely? :unsure:

The stretch that Raptron posted can be done in a few ways, if you brace with your abs and tuck your pelvis it gets a lot more into the lats and shoulders, but if you let your lower back arch it will target more of the upper back and middle back. 

I'm not sure whether you're describing an actual problem or not though. :) If you're actively engaging your upper back and through your hips I think you will automatically engage your middle back too. Is it just an isolation problem or do you feel a lack of flexibility there?

On 2/28/2018 at 8:29 PM, raptron said:

Hmmm! I mean, I definitely consider lats mid back. Maybe you are talking about lower traps? I personally also can't isolate my lower traps very well (they're between your scapula and your spine). Overhead mobility and lower lat training (the stretch above, pec stretches, wall angels, face the wall with your arms in a Y and try to just squeeze your scapula together to get them off the wall) could help what you are talking about. 

Also, if I am envisioning what you are talking about correctly, maybe something like low cobra-ish thoracic extension drills? REALLY making sure you are not using your low back only. 

I also think that low cobra/no hands cobra drills could help. You could also try doing cobras with your sternum against the wall and see if you can peel away from the all using your mid back muscles. By changing the placement of your point of contact on the wall you can concentrate more on specific areas of your back. It's really hard to isolate specific muscles though, the back muscles are supposed to work together after all. And honestly I'm not even sure if it's necessary, unless you have a specific weakness/restriction there? The mid back is seldom the biggest problem area, unless you get into advanced levels I guess. (For most people it's shoulders, upper back or hips)

On 2/28/2018 at 8:56 PM, @mu said:

ha haan thanks! I will get some cobra action in my next Goal 2 prep then and see how it feels.

So far I mostly used those for the upper back (the second one with the chest against the wall, like the first pic)

img-2756_orig.jpg.4c08e37aa96853f07d774b55a24d5512.jpg

and back twists in a sit.
But to be honest I'm not sure myself if it's the lats or the lower traps, I will try to feel that a bit better next session. Thanks :)

I think if it's lat tightness you'll notice it more in twists (twisting cobras make a nice warm up) and side bends and also if you feel restrictions in your shoulders. If you do a bridge with your chest against the wall you should be able to feel whether the restriction is more in your back (possibly traps) or more in your shoulders (possibly lats). 

If you want to try a passive stretch you can place a yoga block (tall side up) underneath your upper back, between your scapulae, and just lie down on it with your butt on the floor. Then move it further down towards your mid back and compare the difference and whether you think it's more upper back or mid back. 

You can also play with this for activation by actively trying to bring your head towards the pole/your butt.

00389-shoulder-back-stretch-with-pole-th

Umm yeah, just throwing out some stuff at the top of my head. Not sure if it helps but it's something to experiment with. It's a bit hard to tell or advise without having seen what the issue is. :) 

On 3/1/2018 at 9:08 PM, @mu said:

20180301_165932.jpg.b6172a4f8bf3ec139d67a7c3e880a2e6.jpg

Beautiful building!

And the pvp looks awesome! Shame I don't have parallettes... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mad Hatter dude, your post is a gold mine! Thank you so much for taking the time to get into the details, really! Unfortunately I have to run and get prepared for the first wedding party. But in the next few days / next stretching session, I will have a few tests. You're right that it is not a "problem" / something I'm stuck with, if anything, it's probably impatience talking out loud as I have ample room for progression. But I'm very very happy to learn about all this. Thanks!

7 hours ago, @mu said:

Thanks! I started last year in May, at the time, I couldn't do any press at all. It's coming little by little, sweaty rep by sweaty rep :P GMB really helped me get started (Parallettes 1).

See you on the PvP!

I had thought about doing P-1 but decided to do Integral Strength First. I'm planning to do it in the fall though(doing Rings 1 in the spring/summer)You make me so excited for it!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Yesterday was rest, I had quite a bit of DOMs all over my upper body, did some stretching and parallette PvP.
Today, I still felt a bit sore, so went for Goal 2, my last session.

Goal 2: Bend – 8 sessions – 8/8

Standing back drop to support 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Elevated Jefferson curls 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams low intensity] 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bend / half bent sitting pike ] 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams standing pike low intensity ] 3 - 3

Camel bend back drop 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Pancake 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams butterfly front bent] 3 - 3

Elbow stand to bridge on sofa back to front 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3 / 3 - 3

Legs behind shoulder/neck 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - 3 / [#pulled_hams bent knees to neck side] 3 - 3

I did some tests and took some pictures. I read again your post, MadHatter, in particular the bit where you say that for most people the sticky areas are shoulders, upper back and/or hips. I went over your tests and it looks like my shoulders are the culprit actually.

Here are the before and after pics, 1 month / 8 sessions

Spoiler

Back drop going over with 2 arms, this is just before the point of no return. I could go lower but then coming back up without shuffling my arms is not possible. I don't have the strength for it. My shoulders have improve quite a bit but there is definitely still a LOT of room for progression.

20180206-0305-back-drop-2arms.jpg.761cb1fe35e5b3496afc93609c67ce5f.jpg

This is the camel back drop with 2 arms:

20180206-0305-camel.jpg.70b7a02b8a76cf019aba60e5091783c6.jpg

There is some sort of shoulders versus upper-back versus pelvis action going on there.

And the elbow bridge on the sofa:

20180206-0305-elbow-bridge.jpg.293ca7e27192d1196e05a5e8b74b0d97.jpg

The position of my head is different. In the after pic, I was really focus on opening my shoulders and it was harder to look up. I'm not sure but this might be why I feel that I have a harder time to get in my upper/mid back. But my guess would be that I should first work on my shoulders and then worry about the rest later.

And finally this is my current bridge:
20180305-bridge.jpg.2edf5ee0259ac2db911b0ee3ee6bfdfd.jpg

I also checked out a new ball video from this wee girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8-VIb13GM
I followed her video and tried each move to the best of my abilities :lol:

And at 4:30, she squizzes the ball in her back between her shoulders and do some exercise with the ball in that position. This is very hard for me. If I cross my arms, I can lock the ball for a few seconds but that's it. And this is not what she does, she can lock in a straight arm position. This is a big squeeze. The shoulders have to be able to stretch backward quite a bit while  actively pressing. A very good drill for me I think.

20180305-ball-shoulders.jpg.f3d21e3740bce9a43f3197d2a0d0d3c5.jpg

And at 9:10, she grabs the ball from feet to hands in a seal position. This is totally out of reach for me of course. But even before getting into back bending issues,  the very first sticky point is clearly my shoulders' range of motion.

So here we go, I need to work on my shoulders! Nothing new under the sun :lol: but I think I understand better now what's going on.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Norgaard said:

Shoulders are one of my biggest nemesis' as well, And I should really be better stretching them!

I will probably add a focus on those for the next challenge.

54 minutes ago, Norgaard said:

seems like this challenges are going well!.

This week I'm quite tired (physically and mentally) and I'm looking forward to a deload really.

55 minutes ago, Norgaard said:

oh and totally unrelated, how long is your hair, it looks so long in the pvp videos :D

:D They reach my bum. I had them very short for a while but it was a lot of maintenance :blink: so I just let them grow and I re-braid every other day or so :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, @mu said:

:D They reach my bum. I had them very short for a while but it was a lot of maintenance :blink: so I just let them grow and I re-braid every other day or so :lol:

Thats awesome :D I always have mine put up in a bun, and I noticed the other day that my hair is down to around mid chest length now :D, and then I looked at yours and it seemed so long :D I like it.

Well maybe next pvp challenge should be shoulder related ;)

• Like 1

Be like water my friend

15 hours ago, Norgaard said:

I always have mine put up in a bun, and I noticed the other day that my hair is down to around mid chest length now

Yep, as if, the least you do, the more it grows. If only body weight practice could follow the same rule ^_^

15 hours ago, Norgaard said:

Well maybe next pvp challenge should be shoulder related ;)

Why not, the same sort of format? as the current one is going, we might get slightly overstretched :lol:

ok today was Goal 1 and 3, and some PvP parallettes. This is getting very long for morning sessions (1h30), I have to wake up earlier and still rush. And now I have theatre rehearsal pretty much every night til 9.30pm + tonight another wedding party. It's getting a bit hard. Fortunately New Year (Persian New Year) is coming up soon, and we will have a short holiday - which I'm really really looking forward too.

Goal 1

Got my 3rd rep on the second set (linking tuck bent arm press). For HSPUs in sling, I did the knot a bit too high, it was a little bit easier, so I did more but form was not so good. Since the knot was higher, I wasn't really pressing til mid-way and it was more difficult to keep my alignment. Otherwise the usual. Still feeling the hams, the left one mostly.
Goal 3
Puzzles / last session, so I did a review of the moves I found this month (s-wrap and belay, on both sides). Still need polishing but the purpose of this goal was achieved.

Goal 1: Push-Pull

Core – 12 sessions - 10/12

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2+ set 1

1. (1.5) 2 (1 / 1) 1 (1.5) 2

2. #ill (1 / 1) 1 2 2

3. 3 3 2
4. 2

Dead hang to inverted pike x3 from bars (no silks / wrapping to catcher Left / Right)

1. [bent legs, foot help x2] 3 3 3
2. #ill 3 3 3

3. [foot help x1] 3 3 3
4. [foot help x1] 3

Bent arm press linked tuck reps on parallettes x2+ set 2

1. 2.5 2 (1 / 1.5) 2
2. #ill 2 2 (1.5) 2

3. 3 2(1.5) 2
4. 3

Dead hang long arms straddle up x2+ - LR

1. [bent legs] 2L 2R 2L 2R 2L 3R
2. #ill #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R (foot help x1) - 2L (foot help x2) 2R (foot help x1) #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R

3. #pulled_hams 2L 2R - 2L (foot help x1) 2R - 2L 2R

4. #pulled_hams 2L (foot help x1) 2R

Support B – 6 sessions - 5/6

Meat hook progression on silks x2 on each side

1. [floor, split silks, pull up to wrapped bent arms, tuck extension] 1R-1L 1L-1R
2. #ill 1R1L (tog) 1L1R (tog) - 1L1R (tog) 1R1L (tog)

3. 1R1L (tog) 1L1R (tog)
4. 1R1L (tog) 1L1R (tog)

HSPUs in sling: 3+ reps working on good form

1. 3

2. #ill [wide arms, arching] 3 4

3. [no arching, wild legs] 4

4. [higher knot, arching, wide arms] 6

Goal 3: Apparatus puzzle – 4 sessions

0. s-wrap → 3 entries tested – 1 okayish (from bar)

1. s-wrap → +1 entry tested: nope.
belay → 4 entries tested: 2 ok/okayish (hand-made knot, knee pull over)

2. #ill belay: practice of ok entries + floor test of another belay for knee/ankle hang

3. parallettes +silks + ball ok!

4. review of moves (s-wrap, belay – on both sides)

• Like 1