• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PollyannaAgain

Pollyanna Chugs Along

Just keep swimming!

1. Eat--Didn't decrease any more, but didn't get worse soooo.

• Continue experimenting with calorie levels: I've been reducing my calorie intake by about 100cal/week to see where I start losing weight more regularly and checking to see what level I still have energy to exercise at. Don't worry, not going below 1200 calories. Actually, I'm hoping I won't have to go below 1500 which is where I currently am...
  • Reduce sugar intake to MFP goal--This is like a mini-goal for the one above, but I can't do two things at once, so I'm reducing calories first and then adjusting from there.
  • Increase protein intake to MFP goal--Ditto above.

2. Move--Same as above for steps; Going to the gym though? Pft. That didn't happen...

• Continue increasing Step goal each week--Working on 7K this week!
  • Gym 10x (total)--I started going 2x a week near the end of this last challenge.

3. Train Dogs--Woohoo!

• Start KPA (Finally! So excited!)--I enroll on 2/9
  • Video all training sessions--The folks on my FB dog group are constantly talking about how much videoing helps, so I'm trying to bite the bullet and do it myself. I hate seeing myself on film, so this is an extraordinarily difficult task for me.
  • Structured training 5x/week--I've been using a dog-focused bullet journal to plan our training each week and found that if I plan each day, I invariably miss one or two and that messes up my plan! I've switched to a more generic plan that allows for 2 days off each week. Now I need to stick with it...

Bonus Goals:

• Start strength training again
  • Hike with dogs*
  • Visit park with dogs*
  • Upgrade business website to include a blog
  • Start crafting again
  • Update Etsy
  • Finish Inventory Spreadsheet
  • Self-compassion workbook 1x/week

*Bonus b/c of weather

I'm still meditating daily and logging stuff for my points, but I feel like these are pretty set, so I didn't include them this time. Anywho. Here it is! Good luck everyone!

UPDATE: I also just joined a walking challenge on the Walk for a Dog app. I need to get 15 walks in by April 15. It's for charity (you pick the shelter you want to walk for), so if you're interested, here's the info: http://www.wooftrax.com/walkandwin

• Like 3

Hey Pollyanna, great to see you keeping at it! And 

2 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Start KPA (Finally! So excited!)--I enroll on 2/9

SO EXCITING!!! You've been talking about this in your challenges for a while so it's fantastic to see it happening at last! 

Your goals all look fantastic, and thank you for the wooftrax link, that looks awesome! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Just keep swimming!

1. Eat

• Continue experimenting with calorie levels: I've been reducing my calorie intake by about 100cal/week to see where I start losing weight more regularly and checking to see what level I still have energy to exercise at. Don't worry, not going below 1200 calories. Actually, I'm hoping I won't have to go below 1500 which is where I currently am...
  • Reduce sugar intake to MFP goal--This is like a mini-goal for the one above, but I can't do two things at once, so I'm reducing calories first and then adjusting from there.
  • Increase protein intake to MFP goal--Ditto above.

2. Move

• Continue increasing Step goal each week--Working on 7K this week!
  • Gym 10x (total)--I started going 2x a week near the end of this last challenge.

3. Train Dogs

• Start KPA (Finally! So excited!)--I enroll on 2/9
  • Video all training sessions--The folks on my FB dog group are constantly talking about how much videoing helps, so I'm trying to bite the bullet and do it myself. I hate seeing myself on film, so this is an extraordinarily difficult task for me.
  • Structured training 5x/week--I've been using a dog-focused bullet journal to plan our training each week and found that if I plan each day, I invariably miss one or two and that messes up my plan! I've switched to a more generic plan that allows for 2 days off each week. Now I need to stick with it...

Bonus Goals:

• Start strength training again
  • Hike with dogs*
  • Visit park with dogs*
  • Upgrade business website to include a blog
  • Start crafting again
  • Update Etsy
  • Finish Inventory Spreadsheet
  • Self-compassion workbook 1x/week

*Bonus b/c of weather

I'm still meditating daily and logging stuff for my points, but I feel like these are pretty set, so I didn't include them this time. Anywho. Here it is! Good luck everyone!

UPDATE: I also just joined a walking challenge on the Walk for a Dog app. I need to get 15 walks in by April 15. It's for charity (you pick the shelter you want to walk for), so if you're interested, here's the info: http://www.wooftrax.com/walkandwin

I love your goals. This sounds like a great way to focus on taking care of yourself and your dogs. And I am so happy to hear the Training classes are finally starting. I bet you are excited.

I love the idea of the walk for dogs challenge. I will have to look into it. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

On 2/6/2018 at 9:45 AM, PollyannaAgain said:

Reduce sugar intake to MFP goal--This is like a mini-goal for the one above, but I can't do two things at once, so I'm reducing calories first and then adjusting from there.

You can reduce your calories by reducing your sugar intake. ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

You can reduce your calories by reducing your sugar intake. ;)

But sometimes it's easier to just adjust the overall amount you're eating, instead of cutting specific things out of your diet. I've done that with things like my "don't eat seconds at dinner" goals, and other people try to cut down on snacking between meals (which... depending on what you're snacking on, might correlate more strongly to reducing sugar). I think it's reasonable to focus on just one thing at a time, and then adjust. 

• Like 2

Whatever, this challenge has dogs in it so... yay! :D:D 

Good luck with your goals, they're reasonable and have dogs in it, so you can do it!

One question. What is KPA? Something dog training related I assume?

• Like 2

@zeroh13, I thought I mentioned attempting to cut back solely on sugar before, and I didn't handle it well, but I guess I was just thinking that when I typed these up! Thanks @Wobbegong! The tiny cuts were working well until this past week, but it was "Shark Week" as you guys call it on here, and I was woefully unprepared! I'm shooting for 1550 this week.

In other (huge for me) news, "Shark Week" was normal this month! Well, pre-July '17 normal anyway (meaning it actually ended). So, yay! Happy dance! (Sorry if that's TMI for you guys, but it's a health concern I've really been struggling with this past year.)

Also this weekend, I torqued something in my neck/upper back region when I slipped in mud walking with the dogs this weekend, so that's not cool. But is painful. Hmm. Oh, and I spent my vacation day at the local Honda dealer b/c they were the only ones who would do the regular maintenance on my transmission. I had to leave my car there all weekend on top of that b/c a thing that connects the muffler to the rest of the exhaust was broken. I'm thinking the culprit was a giant pot hole that must have opened up overnight, sinkhole style. Thankfully, I was going really slow when I hit it b/c there was water running across the road and a car in front of me, or it could have been much worse. It was a very expensive weekend...

@Iceburner Thank you! Good luck with your goals too. :-) KPA is short for Karen Pryor Academy. I'm doing their program to get a trainer certification that will stand out in my area. It's for dogs, but the techniques work on lots of species. I'm hoping to offer training for cats and birds (like parrots) as well when I'm done.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

The tiny cuts were working well until this past week, but it was "Shark Week" as you guys call it on here, and I was woefully unprepared! I'm shooting for 1550 this week.

I started calling it "sailing under the communist flag" because Severine uncovered that euphemism in her Spanish class and it's hilarious but I totally get how you feel. It's ridiculously tough to stick to a diet with all those hormones mucking about. 

7 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

In other (huge for me) news, "Shark Week" was normal this month! Well, pre-July '17 normal anyway (meaning it actually ended). So, yay! Happy dance! (Sorry if that's TMI for you guys, but it's a health concern I've really been struggling with this past year.)

I 100% feel you on this. I have thankfully never naturally had any period struggles like this but I had an IUD for a year and it was basically a one week period surrounded by a week of spotting on either end and maybe a week of nothing if I was lucky in there every once in a while kind of deal. It was terrible. So congrats on some normalcy! 

9 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Oh, and I spent my vacation day at the local Honda dealer b/c they were the only ones who would do the regular maintenance on my transmission.

Car trouble has been going around. You're in the club with me and @Bean Sidhe on this one. Glad to hear you were able to get it fixed, sorry about the expense! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iceburner said:

Hey Pollyanna, how are things going? How is/are the dog(s)?

Thanks for checking on me! Things are going okay. I finished my inventory spreadsheet, so now I'm just testing and tweaking as needed.

I'm training daily with both dogs and started KPA stuff, but I haven't videoed anything. I'm really nervous about KPA though. They don't want your dog to bark or whine at all during the workshop, and my girl struggles with that on entering an area with dogs sometimes. She does much better without her brother, and surprised me Sunday by not doing it at all, even though there was a dog barking at us from a nearby car. I was very proud of her for that! For the workshops, she also has to relax in a crate/kennel nearby for up to two hours at a time. That seems excessive to me for an eight hour workshop, but anywho. She's fine chilling in a crate, but she's never done it with me nearby or with another dog working nearby. So that's what we're working on! Last night, I crated her while I trained her brother, and then swapped them, so she could practice training while another dog was crated nearby. I put her in there with a fancy chewy that actually takes her a long time to demolish. She cried when I initially shut her in, but she was also working on her chewy at the same time...Once she got settled, she was good. The problem I really ran into, was that she wasn't done with her chewy when it was her turn to train and didn't want to leave it alone! I had to take it and lock it away in their food bin to get her to work and up the treat value to bits of hamburger. I have plans to take her and my giant stuffed dog to the park tonight to work with her on not barking at other dogs. We're going to start with the stuffy and work up to my brother's dogs. Assuming I can get him to get up off his patoochie and help me. If she does well working in vicinity of both of those, I'm going to start taking her to a training class I found on the weekends. It's a drop in class with an actual positive trainer, and you basically just work on whatever you want. If it goes well, we might even get a hotel room down there closer to April so we can practice working after sleeping in strange places!

For my fitness stuff, I'm stuck trying to regularly hit 1500 calories a day right now. I always seem to be just over it! And I'm stuck at 7K on my steps too. I have no idea why that's been such a struggle, but there it is. I haven't made it to the gym yet. I had grand plans to go yesterday (even wore my sports bra to work to encourage myself to go!), but I got a migraine about 9:30 and it lasted all day. This one was unusual because I was dizzy and nauseous throughout. And my jaw, which has been hurting for nearly a week, quit hurting just after the migraine started and is now just sore...Anywho. Grand plans are on again for today at lunch. Gym bag is packed, and I left my laptop at home so I can't convince myself that staying and working on my business website is a better use of my time.

Hm. More later, I guess!

• Like 2

Pollyanna

I think it sounds great that your girl is doing so well on her training. I can see the dog being in a crate with you around can be an issue. I know my mom's mom can't do that since he sees you and wants out. he will stay in there, but there is crying and things. I think you have a great plan in place.

The fitness stuff, just keep at it. Good luck getting to the gym today. I know you will do great, and the steps just try adding a few more a day. Even if you only get 7250 a day, that is better than where you were. You got this. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Well at least you have fun at Dog school :)

Maybe the sum of your goals just stressed you out too much so that you didn't achieve them (yet)? Maybe you just need smaller steps for now? For the next challenge you could either try to keep just one of them (e.g. do at least 7k) and add others that might motivate you more. Something seems to keep you from going to the gym, so why not start exercises at home to make you more comfortable. (Or something else more comfortable)

For example: I just bought a balance board that I want to use regularly in the next challenge... just to have something new and different...

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 6:25 PM, zeroh13 said:

How's it going, @PollyannaAgain? Anything new with your eating and fitness goals? Or more doggy fun?

I'm okay! Thanks for checking on me. :)  Iz and I are doing well with the training. Still worried about her barking at the workshop, but we're working on it.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:42 AM, Iceburner said:

Well at least you have fun at Dog school :)

Maybe the sum of your goals just stressed you out too much so that you didn't achieve them (yet)? Maybe you just need smaller steps for now? For the next challenge you could either try to keep just one of them (e.g. do at least 7k) and add others that might motivate you more. Something seems to keep you from going to the gym, so why not start exercises at home to make you more comfortable. (Or something else more comfortable)

For example: I just bought a balance board that I want to use regularly in the next challenge... just to have something new and different...

Yup! So far anyway! I think you're right about the gym. I have a whole bag of equipment I could use in my office, so I'm going to pack that up and bring it in. Thank you for reminding me. :) 

My OB referred me to a neurologist to "make sure my migraines are really migraines," which hurt. I thought she believed me. I had a nightmare last night that I went to him, and he refused to even talk to me and called me a liar. I know I'm not lying, and I know what I'm experiencing. And I'm really freaking tired of doctors not listening.

I got a fraud alert on my new credit card yesterday. Someone tried to buy $3000+ worth of theater tickets and $1200+ worth of stuff at Best Buy online...The company declined it, thankfully, but I don't know how they got my numbers. So I spent five hours yesterday changing passwords, cancelling cards, and freezing my credit...

I've done okay on my challenge this last week. I hit my step goal a couple of times, and my food goal several times, both of which are a nice change. I've been thinking about the gym and food and stuff and wondering why nothing seems to work, and I realized that I stress-eat (which I knew), and I've tried to adjust the eating, but I've never addressed stress. So that's my plan for the next challenge, and possibly a few more after that. I'm brainstorming my plan on paper at the moment, so stay tuned! I'm undecided on whether I should stay here 'cause y'all know me, or to test out posting with the Druids because they might have some insight on the stuff I'm working on...

This weekend I'm going to help with my first rescue transport! I'm going to drive a 5 month old Malinois puppy for an hour of his very long journey to the rescue that's going to help him find a permanent home. I'm excited, but nervous...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I'm okay! Thanks for checking on me. :)  Iz and I are doing well with the training. Still worried about her barking at the workshop, but we're working on it.

Yup! So far anyway! I think you're right about the gym. I have a whole bag of equipment I could use in my office, so I'm going to pack that up and bring it in. Thank you for reminding me. :) 

My OB referred me to a neurologist to "make sure my migraines are really migraines," which hurt. I thought she believed me. I had a nightmare last night that I went to him, and he refused to even talk to me and called me a liar. I know I'm not lying, and I know what I'm experiencing. And I'm really freaking tired of doctors not listening.

I got a fraud alert on my new credit card yesterday. Someone tried to buy $3000+ worth of theater tickets and $1200+ worth of stuff at Best Buy online...The company declined it, thankfully, but I don't know how they got my numbers. So I spent five hours yesterday changing passwords, cancelling cards, and freezing my credit...

I've done okay on my challenge this last week. I hit my step goal a couple of times, and my food goal several times, both of which are a nice change. I've been thinking about the gym and food and stuff and wondering why nothing seems to work, and I realized that I stress-eat (which I knew), and I've tried to adjust the eating, but I've never addressed stress. So that's my plan for the next challenge, and possibly a few more after that. I'm brainstorming my plan on paper at the moment, so stay tuned! I'm undecided on whether I should stay here 'cause y'all know me, or to test out posting with the Druids because they might have some insight on the stuff I'm working on...

This weekend I'm going to help with my first rescue transport! I'm going to drive a 5 month old Malinois puppy for an hour of his very long journey to the rescue that's going to help him find a permanent home. I'm excited, but nervous...

Migraines, fraud, and driving Oh MY!

You know Polly? You have every little girls dream come true..? 

A true animal rescuer! It’s so neat your off doing good! 

No need to be nervous!

• Like 2

The puppy was adorable! He wanted to sit in the front with me, but I had him tethered in the back, so he just stood or laid on my center console until he decided it was nap time. He was much larger than my dogs were at 5 months, but it was mostly legs and floof. :) He arrived safely at the rescue after a couple more swaps on Sunday. I'll see if I can get the picture I took to upload later.

Looking back at this challenge, I completed more bonus goals than real goals, but that's okay. I'm still hammering out some details for my next challenge. Stay tuned. It's sure to be hoot watching me try to relax...

• Like 1

We found out yesterday that my grandpa has cancerous tumors. One he's known about since 2015. I'm upset and confused, but I guess it's his choice. I know he feels he's ready to go be with grandma, but this is a horrible way to go. And what if grandma hadn't passed last year? Was he just going to leave her? Or has he been too sick since then to do anything about it?

So yeah. Much sads. Much confuse. :( 

• Sad 2