Jump to content

Spezzy is her own adult.


spezzy

Recommended Posts

On 2/8/2018 at 12:54 PM, scalyfreak said:

 

Set a timer. 20 minutes studying, then 10 minutes away.Then 20 minutes studying, then 10 minutes away. Makes a huge difference.

I 100% second that. I do these same "intervals" or Pomodoro (because the guy who invented them used a tomato shaped timer) during which I have to study / work and then I know I have a break coming right after. Also make sure to take longer breaks every 90min. 

These got me through my Korean exams. Because nothing like learning to say "chronic lung disease" to get you to close the books and play video games :D

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

 

 

Link to comment
On 2/8/2018 at 7:55 PM, peelout said:

I don't have any gifs so I'm just going to quietly follow.

 

I do find it strange that w/ all you've accomplished and all that you do, that you don't feel you are "adulting".  My perception is quite the opposite.

 

I do do a lot, and I don't mean to diminish that - I'm proud of what I do and have accomplished - but I have a lot of areas where I can improve (and I don't think there will ever be a time that I feel like I'm 'done'). These are all things that I've been struggling with and have been things that I've failed in past challenges, but if I could succeed would greatly improve my life.  

 

Like, for example, I work from home and make my own schedule, but because of that, I allow myself to sleep in later than I'd like to, which leads to working later hours which makes a social life difficult. Working from the couch or having my phone near me and mindlessly looking at IG or a video game during work hours makes my work take twice as long, which makes it harder for me to fit in non work things, or even making it to the gym that I really want to go to (that's 20 minutes away vs. 5).  Because I don't have to go to an office each day with specific hours, I need to self police. Same goes with my certifications - I don't technically NEED them, but I do want them, and since I don't have a deadline with discipline if I don't complete it, I need to self police there too. 

 

Basically, for a few things, I need to get out of the "don't feel like it" mindset and get back into being more self disciplined.

 

  • Like 5
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
On 2/9/2018 at 9:58 AM, Asuka said:

I 100% second that. I do these same "intervals" or Pomodoro (because the guy who invented them used a tomato shaped timer) during which I have to study / work and then I know I have a break coming right after. Also make sure to take longer breaks every 90min. 

These got me through my Korean exams. Because nothing like learning to say "chronic lung disease" to get you to close the books and play video games :D

 

I definitely think I'm going to have to try this. I've been splitting the book into small sections and that seems to help a lot - I go over that section, take a break, and then come back and go over that section again (because if I read / write something twice, I'm much more likely to understand it). And it seems to be going well so far. But man, it's a lot of work, hah.

  • Like 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment

Zero week update!

 

1) I'm transitioning to a new work schedule which is a little bit stressful, just because it means no days off. This is my choice, and the no days off thing is just while I get the new schedule completely transitioned (basically - I've found it helpful to work on weekends as that's when everyone is getting ready for the week, so I'm transitioning to working weekends and taking a day off during the week instead of a weekend day). I haven't studied this week basically because I've just been stressed about working a bit longer this week. I have been working at my desk, but I've had my phone with me :(

 

2) I've meditated 3x, once for 3 minutes and twice for 5 minutes. 

 

3) I made a spreadsheet to track my foods so I don't have to, and I'll put it together with more detail tomorrow

 

4) Workouts have been a bit weird this week. Thursday I didn't feel recovered, so I decided to take an extra rest day, and then Friday morning I got dry needling on my hip and entire scapular / subscap / shoulder / arm area and then went to the gym, but left because my workout included a ton of overhead and it didn't feel right (I think this was the smarter decision). So that's fine - I'll just push my workout days a bit this week!

 

 

  • Like 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment

Following for adulting tips! I also do a lot of work from home as a computer science PhD student, so I might steal some of your work strategies. Recently I started using an app with a timer for "focus time" (originally intended to be done with someone, I think, but it also works by yourself), and if you make it to the end you get a plant to add to your virtual garden. Surprisingly it's worked rather well so far, because apparently I want virtual plants XD.

 

Hope your overhead work feels better soon!

  • Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment

i need an adult too.... 

@spezzy write my challenge for me.

  • Like 1

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Link to comment
On 2/11/2018 at 1:26 AM, spezzy said:

1) I'm transitioning to a new work schedule which is a little bit stressful, just because it means no days off. This is my choice, and the no days off thing is just while I get the new schedule completely transitioned (basically - I've found it helpful to work on weekends as that's when everyone is getting ready for the week, so I'm transitioning to working weekends and taking a day off during the week instead of a weekend day). I haven't studied this week basically because I've just been stressed about working a bit longer this week. I have been working at my desk, but I've had my phone with me :(

I have the same problem with the phone distractions. Pomodoros help because I will turn my phone face down when I am within the 25min of working, then immediately pick up my phone to play with for the 5min off work.

Something which also helped me through sustained studying efforts is Epic Music. Not sure if you are able to study with music playing, but if you do, you may want to give it a try. The music is lifting enough that you feel empowered to go through work but since most of the music is instrumental, it does not distract your brain from studying. And it is just cool enough that it will keep my "I want to play video games" brain engaged. (My fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rhHa3G_kk

It also helps a lot to have headphones plugged into a computer (even if I am working from a book), because I know then that I should NOT touch my phone at all. You can use google countdown to get your timing in, so you don't use your phone for that either. Basically make your phone redundant! (But I never managed to leave it off my sight...)

 

Good luck on your new schedule! 

 

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

 

 

Link to comment
On 2/11/2018 at 10:57 AM, Alanna said:

Following for adulting tips! I also do a lot of work from home as a computer science PhD student, so I might steal some of your work strategies. Recently I started using an app with a timer for "focus time" (originally intended to be done with someone, I think, but it also works by yourself), and if you make it to the end you get a plant to add to your virtual garden. Surprisingly it's worked rather well so far, because apparently I want virtual plants XD.

 

Hope your overhead work feels better soon!

 

ha! My problem is if I use an app, I need to have my phone, and if I have my phone, I have all the mindless things too....

 

I should re-set up Freedom on my phone, really.

 

 

  • Like 2
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Asuka said:

I have the same problem with the phone distractions. Pomodoros help because I will turn my phone face down when I am within the 25min of working, then immediately pick up my phone to play with for the 5min off work.

Something which also helped me through sustained studying efforts is Epic Music. Not sure if you are able to study with music playing, but if you do, you may want to give it a try. The music is lifting enough that you feel empowered to go through work but since most of the music is instrumental, it does not distract your brain from studying. And it is just cool enough that it will keep my "I want to play video games" brain engaged. (My fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rhHa3G_kk

It also helps a lot to have headphones plugged into a computer (even if I am working from a book), because I know then that I should NOT touch my phone at all. You can use google countdown to get your timing in, so you don't use your phone for that either. Basically make your phone redundant! (But I never managed to leave it off my sight...)

 

Good luck on your new schedule! 

 

 

I definitely don't have ANY notifications on my phone because they are so distracting, or have me need to touch it. I've got a manual timer so thankfully don't need phone/computer for that.

 

 I'll give the music a shot - I only do instrumental as well because words are too distracting for me!

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment

Hiiii Day 2!

 

1) Nutrition:

Soooo I haven't written the plan yet, but I'm following what I would have written. I will be meal prepping tomorrow so will write it all out then. 

 

2) Workouts!

Been playing it by ear since the dry needling, but everything in my shoulder, while sore and confused about it's newfound mobility, feels great. You can see the difference here:

 

Yesterday's workout was:

10x6 scapular retractions on rings

8x3 strict muscle ups (I did these dropping from the rings instead of lowering down because my scap is learning where it should be and how to stabilize properly, and since the down is harder to maintain that stability in the first place, I decided to cut that.

Squat - 3x4 at 200

reverse flys, back flys, supported iron cross holds, curls, tricep extensions, and probably some more.

 

 

 

I did not meditate yesterday but I did today.

 

aaaaaand haven't studied yet this week!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, spezzy said:

aaaaand haven't studied yet this week!

 

Love the "refuse to accept to be in pain" attitude. Same happened to my sister when several doctors told her "you will live with pain in your knee all your life" at 25 after a bike accident. Even walking was painful. We went to a chiropractor who managed to identify a problem other doctors had not seen. She now has exercises to help her build more muscles and she is pain-free!

 

 This is Tuesday in my time zone - plenty of days left this week to study! :semi-twins:

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

 

 

Link to comment
18 hours ago, spezzy said:

 

ha! My problem is if I use an app, I need to have my phone, and if I have my phone, I have all the mindless things too....

 

I should re-set up Freedom on my phone, really.

 

 

 

Fair! I think this app (flora for anyone who is interested) prevents you from using your phone while the timer is on, but that doesn't help for the time before the timer starts or after it ends :P. 

 

I've looked into Freedom before - you have to pay for the functionality that allows you to set schedules for blocking apps/sites, right?

 

That's an amazing difference in mobility - glad you finally found something that directly addresses your pain!

 

 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

 

Link to comment

Hi, following along!

 

20 hours ago, spezzy said:

I'll give the music a shot - I only do instrumental as well because words are too distracting for me!

 

I know the feeling. Computer game music is particularly good for studying - it's designed to keep you focused on the game but it's good for focus in general. I can thoroughly recommend the soundtracks to the Deus Ex games for starters.

  • Like 1

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 3  -  CON: 0  -  CHA: 0  -  SAN: 1  -  INT: 0

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Anatomy of an Orc

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Jarric said:

Hi, following along!

 

 

I know the feeling. Computer game music is particularly good for studying - it's designed to keep you focused on the game but it's good for focus in general. I can thoroughly recommend the soundtracks to the Deus Ex games for starters.

 

The Elder Scrolls games soundtracks are good for studying as well.

  • Like 4

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Jarric said:

Computer game music is particularly good for studying - it's designed to keep you focused on the game but it's good for focus in general. 

 

OH MAN. This makes so much sense and I kind of love chiptune. (The Undertale score is frickin phenomenal!) 

 

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Ummm, I also have a scap problem (left side for me) that makes it glitch out when it tries to glide and that picture made my jaw DROPPP. I was thinking about going to PT through a Dr. referral as per usual, but now I'm considering just checking out a few of the places I know do dry needling. :x 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Link to comment
On 2/9/2018 at 10:55 AM, peelout said:

I do find it strange that w/ all you've accomplished and all that you do, that you don't feel you are "adulting".  My perception is quite the opposite.

I second (or third, or fourth) and I will say that you are definitely an adult in the best sense of the term for so many people! Inspiring them to do better and be better with themselves. If that is not an adult, I don't know what is (who cares about cleaning!)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

 

 

Link to comment
On 2/14/2018 at 9:35 PM, Jarric said:

Computer game music is particularly good for studying - it's designed to keep you focused on the game but it's good for focus in general. I can thoroughly recommend the soundtracks to the Deus Ex games for starters.

 

On 2/15/2018 at 11:53 AM, RedStone said:

(The Undertale score is frickin phenomenal!) 

 

On 2/14/2018 at 11:00 PM, scalyfreak said:

The Elder Scrolls games soundtracks are good for studying as well.

 

Adding all of these to my playlist NOW! Will help me power through a blah Thursday.

  • Like 2

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

 

 

Link to comment
On 2/7/2018 at 12:38 AM, scalyfreak said:

I feel an urgent need to put this whole adult thing into perspective.

 

grownups.png 

 

Suggestion for studying: Noise-cancelling headphones with either white noise or easy-listen background music. (It is highly recommended to visually confirm the location of any pets or children about every 15 minutes or so if you do this, since you won't be able to hear them take advantage of your preoccupation over the white noise or music.)

 

I take this comic way too much to heart. My poor wife basically has 3 kids...

  • Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines