• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

2018 Changing Behaviors

This year, my first challenge was a “what the hell am I going to do challenge”. So I threw in some stuff that I thought would be good to focus on. Those goals were good but I still felt a little lost and kept thinking about 2017 and what worked and didn’t work. 2017 was a stressful year and I let my impulses kind of run wild. I’ve always been a wants over needs type of person but have had a difficult time figuring out a way to change that. I just want to do everything now and feel silly taking it slow. Mentally, that’s what I want and I don’t want to wait to do anything. Physically, I put things off if I’m not sure how to do something or if it requires manual labor. 2018 is going to be about changing my behaviors. I want to have a good routine and strategy for overcoming my impulses. It’s time to start small and work my way up to the person I aspire to be.

To accomplish this task I need a clear and fairly simple plan. My challenges are rarely simple so this will be clear but probably not simple. I need knowledge to help create that plan. I’ll need motivation or motivational tools to help when things get tough. I also need to make sure I have a support system (Thanks Rebels :) ).

2018 Changing Behaviors Levels

LVL 1 - Organization

LVL 2 - Night

LVL 3 - Morning

LVL 4 - Nutrition

LVL 5 - Movement

LVL 6 - Financial

LVL 7 - Knowledge

LVL 8 - Expression

LVL 9 - Self-Discipline

LVL 10 - Sustaining

Each Level will last approximately 1 challenge cycle (28 days). If I do not follow my plan or fail to achieve my desired goal, then I do not move up a level. These levels are meant to build upon previous challenges and continue the habits gained from the previous level. For example, when I reach level 6, I should still be doing what I did through levels 1 to 5.

The goal here is not to get as many points as possible but to develop the habit. If I end up skipping something or putting it off, I need to examine the reason why.

Standard Goals

Save $84

Got to the gym 4x

Read 3 books

Donate Plasma

Monthly Focus - Feb : Sleep (7 to 8 hours) & Mar : No Spending on Non-Essentials

Level 1 Goals

Follow Dailies Cleaning Routine (1 pt each - 84 possibly points - GOAL = 58 points)

Make Bed

Bedroom Floor Clear

Dish Free Sink

Follow Weekly Cleaning Routine (1 pt each - 28 possibly points - GOAL = 19 points)

Dust

Mop Floors

Vacuum

Laundry

Trash

Clean Counters

Clear Surfaces

Follow Bi-Weekly Cleaning Routine (1 pt each - 8 possibly points - GOAL = 5 points)

Scrub Bathroom

Clean Sheets

Toss Expired Foods

Wipe Down Appliances

Follow Monthly Cleaning Routine (1 pt each - 6 possibly points - GOAL = 4 points)

Clean out car

Clean out fridge

Wipe down fridge

Clean inside Microwave

Sanitize sponges

Deep Clean granite floors

Follow Bi-Annually Cleaning Routine (1 pt each - 1 possibly points - GOAL = 1 points)

Wipe Baseboards

Follow Annual Cleaning Routine if applicable

No Annual Cleaning task for February

8372ef36da9852d.gif?v=1492548462

• Like 6

Reason for starting with Organization : I feel better with a clean house. I feel more productive when things are not scattered around and surfaces are clear. In addition to my cleaning focus I also want to recognize some of my mental obstacles. So if I miss something or don't do it, I want to be honest with myself as to why I didn't. I also want to strive to overcome my initial impulse to put it off until later. 

I've been thinking about my ideal Jonesy and the type of person I want to be. 

My ideal Jonesy has her shit together. She goes to bed between 9pm and 10pm and takes the time to care for herself.  She has time to relax in the AM before work, have a cup of coffee and a small breakfast while she pours over her bullet journal because she wakes up before 6am. My ideal Jonesy doesn't rush in the mornings. My ideal Jonesy gets home from work and spends time cleaning, cooking dinner, getting lunch ready for the next day, playing with the dog and doing something relaxing and enjoyable. She doesn't put off tasks that she can do tomorrow. She gets the tasks done even if she has to ask someone how to do it. My ideal Jonesy doesn't waste the weekends away. My ideal Jonesy likes exercise or at least likes being more active.

My ideal Jonesy reads all her favorite books and keeps up with her book club reading list. She also finds more time to do things she enjoys without sacrificing time needed for things that have to get done. 

My ideal Jonesy has all her debts paid off and is sticking to a budget. She saves every paycheck and only spends money on things that will being her joy. 

These are just my initial thoughts, I'm sure my ideal Jonesy will evolve and change a little as my behaviors change. 

• Like 4

Tracking 

I've decided that TRACKING will be done via a spreadsheet and not my bullet journal. I'll still write down or do some short term tracking in my bullet journal but I want something where I can see the whole year at a glance. 

Triggers/Excuses

I also want to see how I do tracking my excuses and maybe come up with something that helps me combat them. IDK what this is yet...we will see. 

• Like 2

Gettingggg at it.

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Reason for starting with Organization : I feel better with a clean house. I feel more productive when things are not scattered around and surfaces are clear. In addition to my cleaning focus I also want to recognize some of my mental obstacles. So if I miss something or don't do it, I want to be honest with myself as to why I didn't. I also want to strive to overcome my initial impulse to put it off until later. 

I've been thinking about my idea Jonesy and the type of person I want to be. 

My ideal Jonesy has her shit together. She goes to bed between 9pm and 10pm and takes the time to care for herself.  She has time to relax in the AM before work, have a cup of coffee and a small breakfast while she pours over her bullet journal because she wakes up before 6am. My ideal Jonesy doesn't rush in the mornings. My ideal Jonesy gets home from work and spends time cleaning, cooking dinner, getting lunch ready for the next day, playing with the dog and doing something relaxing and enjoyable. She doesn't put off tasks that she can do tomorrow. She gets the tasks done even if she has to ask someone how to do it. My ideal Jonesy doesn't waste the weekends away. My ideal Jonesy likes exercise or at least likes being more active.

My ideal Jonesy reads all her favorite books and keeps up with her book club reading list. She also finds more time to do things she enjoys without sacrificing time needed for things that have to get done. 

My ideal Jonesy has all her debts paid off and is sticking to a budget. She saves every paycheck and only spends money on things that will being her joy. 

These are just my initial thoughts, I'm sure my ideal Jonesy will evolve and change a little as my behaviors change. 

Great introspection! 

• Like 1

Cleaning Plan in place and I even made a few pages to hang up around my house. I'm going to have one in my bathroom, near the fridge, next to my computer and on the back of the front door. I want them in my face so there is no possible way for me to forget what I should be doing. 

image.png.9e73411d2a4cee3ff21640bcd2945794.png

Playing with watercolor and burned the right bottom page of my journal. Whoops. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Mr.Six said:

I love the challenge and I feel like I've been in a similar headspace lately.  Following!

Thank you! This was the only way I thought would be helpful in changing my behaviors. Thank the goddesses that we have NF Challenges. :) 

22 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Following!

MM856.gif

20 hours ago, raptron said:

Gettingggg at it.

Great introspection! 

Thanks! I was pretty scared/nervous to do this challenge. It means real change. 

7 hours ago, Norgaard said:

I share you feeling with a clean house.

I stress if its not clean, and can have a bad day off if its not clean!

good luck with this challenge!

A messy house just makes me mood low. 

Thank you!

28 minutes ago, raptron said:

Those galentine's day cards are so good. 

Thank you. I have not used watercolor paper since I was in Highschool so it was fun to mess around with it. First time lettering like that on cards as well. Had fun making them. :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Schaengel said:

They are always so structured that I learn a lot just by following :)

This one sure is! 

I highly expect the higher levels to be semi chaotic...Lol

36 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Well structured chaos. ;)

Do think that falls between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil? Lol

• Like 2

2 Galentine cards done and sent! Need to finish writing a message on my last one and will hand deliver it since I work with her. I also need to work on making some birthday cards. I have 4 birthdays this month but I also want to have a few blank ones done and ready to send out. For when I forget...

• Like 2

Pre-Challenge weekend was a busy one! Got in a plasma donation, celebrated the first of 4 birthdays, went to the gym on Sunday with a friend and played the sims. Lol.

Oh and did some crafting and bullet journal fun. 

February 11 workout : PF 30 min express (weights and cardio)

Abdominal :  2x10 @ 105lbs  (+15 pounds from last)

Seated Row : 1x10 @ 120lbs  (+15 pounds from last)

Leg extension :  2x10 @ 60lbs

Tricep extension :  2x10 @ 75lbs  (+15 pounds from last)

Bicep curl : 1x10 @ 60lbs  (+15 pounds from last)

Shoulder press : 1x10 @ 60lbs 

Lat pull down : 1x10 & 1x7 @ 90lbs  (+15 pounds from last)

Chest press : 2x10 @ 75lbs

5 min cool down stretch

10 hydro massage

4nfJNvo.jpg

Made my friend this card. The elephant because her nickname from me is Dumbo. Long story from High School. 

yGBmu14.jpg

Made another card but not sure who to give it to yet. Thinking my step sister. 

DOgjfoy.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/8/2018 at 1:07 AM, Jonesy said:

Physically, I put things off if I’m not sure how to do something or if it requires manual labor. 2018 is going to be about changing my behaviors. I want to have a good routine and strategy for overcoming my impulses. It’s time to start small and work my way up to the person I aspire to be.

I totally feel you. This is amazing - GO 2018 JONESY!

And I LOVE how you are taking this slow to make it stick. You got this!!

On 2/8/2018 at 1:07 AM, Jonesy said:

I've been thinking about my ideal Jonesy and the type of person I want to be. 

This is super important - actually I am struggling with who I will become. I know I cannot continue to live my life the way it was, but as I don't have yet a clear picture of who I want to be, it is difficult sometimes - I feel like I am losing my identity. 

I will try to do just what you did and project myself - how do I see myself?

At the same time, I hope you won't be too hard on yourself if you are not your ideal Jonesy all the time...

On 2/8/2018 at 1:18 AM, Jonesy said:

Tracking 

I've decided that TRACKING will be done via a spreadsheet and not my bullet journal. I'll still write down or do some short term tracking in my bullet journal but I want something where I can see the whole year at a glance. 

Triggers/Excuses

I also want to see how I do tracking my excuses and maybe come up with something that helps me combat them. IDK what this is yet...we will see. 

Tracking is WONDERFUL - and you will absolutely see patterns emerge and excuses. Actually I think you won't need to track your excuses: when you see the times when you deviated from the plan, you can immediately see why. Weekly reviews of excuses / deviations from plan help me a lot correct the course early.

Also I want to print your BuJo pages and put them on my fridge. Also learn to draw. Then do the same. They are really great!!! 

I love the elephant card!! 

On 2/9/2018 at 12:40 AM, Jonesy said:

I was pretty scared/nervous to do this challenge. It means real change. 

Yep. Totally feel you. Changes make me nervous, and changes to myself especially. But you got this! And you are moving slowly so you are in control. And if you don't like the changes, you can go back!

Also impressed by the weights you are moving around. I am at about half of yours.

PS: Can I get free cake too? :D 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, raptron said:

Haha, I love those! 

Thanks. I hope the recipient does too! :) 

8 hours ago, Asuka said:

This is super important - actually I am struggling with who I will become. I know I cannot continue to live my life the way it was, but as I don't have yet a clear picture of who I want to be, it is difficult sometimes - I feel like I am losing my identity. 

I will try to do just what you did and project myself - how do I see myself?

At the same time, I hope you won't be too hard on yourself if you are not your ideal Jonesy all the time...

I think it's important to remember that your ideal you is most likely going to be changing and evolving as you grow. What I think NOW is my ideal Jonesy may change once I start developing healthier lifestyle behaviors. I keep going back to Steve's post many moons ago asking to determine what your Level 50 looks like.  His grand adventure is a little much for me to think about just yet but I can start with me.

And last night, as I was doing my daily cleaning the thought occurred to me, I don't want to spend most of my life cleaning. Lol. For me, right now, any cleaning takes a long time. I'm constantly mentally procrastinating or just doing it at the pace of a snail. I know right now I'm in the "Starting Area" of my journey so things are going to be a little, MORE. Like picking up the clothes on my floor. Yesterday there was a lot but today there is none. So that's 15 to 20 mins I don't have to clean today or I can branch out and do 15 mins of picking up the floor in other areas of my home. I think that will be the natural progression but this week, this month, I want to focus on small steps and that means leaving the expansion until next month or the month after. This month is about creating the habit. If I WANT to pick up stuff off the floor in another room that's awesome. I won't feel obligated to do it though. 

8 hours ago, Asuka said:

Weekly reviews of excuses / deviations from plan help me a lot correct the course early.

This is a good idea. I think my thought process was more recording the data so that I can help prepare myself for it when it inevitable happens again. Like last night, I did not dust. Surprisingly it was not because I didn't want to, it was more I didn't know where to start/too much clutter to know where to start. I got frustrated, overwhelmed and was looking around my home thinking, where do I even begin. This morning, with a clearer head, I realized I could start with light fixtures and my books. So the take away from last nights deviation is that when I get overwhelmed/frustrated it's ok to take a step back/a day/get out of the house and think about it. It's ok to not do it RIGHT THEN. I don't have any dusting supplies either, another excuse I used last night, but I can use a towel until I get something more suitable.

8 hours ago, Asuka said:

Also I want to print your BuJo pages and put them on my fridge. Also learn to draw. Then do the same. They are really great!!! 

I love the elephant card!! 

Learn to draw WHILE you do your bujo! I spend a lot of time on my bujo pages, more time than most people would want to put it. I like painting so to me it's relaxing and enjoyable. :) 

8 hours ago, Asuka said:

Also impressed by the weights you are moving around. I am at about half of yours.

PS: Can I get free cake too? :D 

Well they are all weight machines. With free weights, I think I can do 10lbs dumbbells, maybe 15lbs Lol. 

Cake for everyone...it's the only reason I celebrate pretty much anything. Haha

• Like 2

Started reading a new book, Dragon Actually. It's a paranormal romance I need to read it for book club. It's a light read, fun and quick. I should finish it Tuesday. Did everything I needed to get done for the first day of the challenge. While I did not follow my cleaning plan exactly, I did do at least 1 weekly item I needed to do. Since I cleaned my sheets and picked up clothes off the floor, I ended up doing 2 loads of laundry. 

None of this though...

Related image

DUSTING....Not stabbing. I want to make that clear. Lol

Standard Goals

Save $84 : 0/84

Got to the gym 4x :  0/4

Read 3 books : 0/3

Donate Plasma : 0/4

Monthly Focus :

Feb - Track Sleep

March : No $$

Level 1 Goals

Dailies : 3/84

Weekly : 1/28

Bi-Weekly : 1/8

Monthly : 0/6 

Bi-Annually : 0/1

Annual : No Annual Cleaning task for February

• Like 1

I did my dailies and ended up doing another load of laundry. I had every intention to vacuum once I bought my vacuum but the place I went only had the $200+ ones available. On Friday I think I'm going to try Walmart. I did finish reading my book, which turned out to be 2 stories in one. 

Standard Goals

Read 3 books : 1/3

Donate Plasma : 0/4

Monthly Focus :

Feb - Track Sleep - I'm struggling to actually GET to sleep. There are just so many things I'd rather do, even when I am tired. 

Level 1 Goals

Dailies : 6/84

Weekly : 1/28

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Late to the party but I LOVE this idea. 

Welcome! Yesterday was hard. I kept feeling the need to rush things. Multiple times throughout the day I caught myself thinking about making a new workout plan, calorie counting, introducing more movement into my daily life all because I've been feeling really down about myself. I had to keep reminding myself, I'll get there but small slow steps. Let's build the habits first! 

Had another moment yesterday were I ALMOST didn't do my schedule cleaning activity. I did all my dailies but the weekly and bi-weekly were a mental struggle. I ended up NOT cleaning out my car fully, which is ok. I just wanted to do SOMETHING. I also almost let myself get away with not doing my weekly cleaning. I feel asleep after eating dinner and woke up and went to bed. I had wanted to clean off and clear my coffee table but went upstairs to get ready for bed instead. While I was brushing my teeth, I was staring at my counter, which is a mess. While I was brushing I decided that I can clean that and while it's not the surface I wanted, it works. Also donated Plasma yesterday and finished a short story, which I'm counting as a book since goodreads counts it as a book. Then I went to bed at 10pm....so early for me!

Standard Goals

Read 3 books : 2/3

Donate Plasma : 1/4

Monthly Focus :

Feb - Track Sleep 

Level 1 Goals

Dailies : 9/84

Weekly : 2/28

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Yesterday was hard. I kept feeling the need to rush things. Multiple times throughout the day I caught myself thinking about making a new workout plan, calorie counting, introducing more movement into my daily life all because I've been feeling really down about myself. I had to keep reminding myself, I'll get there but small slow steps. Let's build the habits first! 

Had another moment yesterday were I ALMOST didn't do my schedule cleaning activity. I did all my dailies but the weekly and bi-weekly were a mental struggle. I ended up NOT cleaning out my car fully, which is ok. I just wanted to do SOMETHING. I also almost let myself get away with not doing my weekly cleaning. I feel asleep after eating dinner and woke up and went to bed. I had wanted to clean off and clear my coffee table but went upstairs to get ready for bed instead. While I was brushing my teeth, I was staring at my counter, which is a mess. While I was brushing I decided that I can clean that and while it's not the surface I wanted, it works. Also donated Plasma yesterday and finished a short story, which I'm counting as a book since goodreads counts it as a book. Then I went to bed at 10pm....so early for me!

Congrats on the wins in cleaning and reading, even if they feel like smaller ones.

RE your feeling of new plan, I know starting small steps is important. But some days, you want to push yourself and you should! If you feel the momentum going, go for it! I wanted to start barbell training slowly, but Tuesday AM I felt really good, so I did a full 30min! Then I felt sore for 3 days, but I was happy and proud, which matters immensely too. So if you feel like you can do more, do so! You are strong and you KNOW what you can do.

And now I will go do a load of laundry, and I will think about your chores too! And later today I will try watercoloring!

• Like 2