• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike_d85

Mike D gets shell shocked

COWABUNGA!  Time to slap some peanut butter and avocado on top of your veggie pizza 'cause it's time to bulk with the turtles!  4 turtles, 4 goals, 4 weight gain!

SizzlingZealousBalloonfish-size_restrict

1 - Leonardo - Maintain running and weightlifting.   12 week program is at 3 days a week and running at least 30 km a week (ideally across 4 short runs and 1 long run).  50% weightlifting, 50% running.

tmntcomicpizza1.jpg?fit=750,375

2 - Michelangelo - Bulking (food) Trying out the 12 week program I made and getting back to planning my food.  I’m shooting to eat between 3100 and 3900 calories a day.  I took some starting measurements on 2/6 and you can see them here.  I did it in centimeters so that improvement is larger numbers (and I just plain like the metric system).  My wife thinks I had her measure my shoulders wrong (the circumference vs. end to end).  I am not shaped like a capital T.  Points for planning ahead of time (50%) and hitting goals (50%) per day.  I always allow weekends and holidays as an exception.

3b5670ed-1cf9-40dd-ac00-0b99fcab186b_1.8

3 - Donatello - Finances - Still waiting on that performance evaluation/raise meeting, btw.  My wife and I should both get bonuses this month so we need to see how much we have and what we want to do with them.  Probably wipe out the credit card and start a savings account for a down payment on a house.  If we see a way to save/make money we’ll try to take it.  % of the bonuses used responsibly is the % completed.

ninja-turtles-out-of-their-shells.jpg?w=

4 - Raphael - Hobbies (Guitar).  I want to get back to trying to practice now that my family very generously set me up with an entire electric setup and headphones so I can practice without disturbing a baby.  I’ll sign up at Justinguitar.com at my brother’s insistence and see how they do what they do.  Something guitar-related every week.  I saw that Ninja Turtles concert live, btw.  It had so little continuity an six year old fanboy noticed problems.

CanAmTeam_750.jpg

5 - Splinter (bonus) - Saturday is a rugby day!  It’s peak tournament season which means my wife is streaming games on at least 2 continents every weekend and inviting people over.  I want to make for a good game host so I want to try and knock out some good dips, snacks, and keep the house clean.  Also, God bless the internet.  That’s one of the local rugby clubs dressed up in ninja turtle jerseys instead of their standard uniform (Charles River Rugby Club).  I want to clean and try a new recipe every week.  This includes my wife's birthday party.

• Like 3

Week 0 recap:

1 - Leonardo - Maintain running and weightlifting. - 70%.  I missed 1 day of lifting due to transit issues and 1 short run due to weather.

2 - Michelangelo - Bulking (food).  - 100% hit most of my goals and what I missed was a few calories of carbs.

3 - Donatello - Finances - Nothing concrete but discussed house buying goals and what-ifs with the wife.  May have spoken to some people near my house about employment.

4 - Raphael - Hobbies (Guitar) - Nada.  I got lazy on Sunday and really should have signed up for Justinguitar.com instead of watching xXx and Lord of the Rings.  LotR is growing on me by the way.  Quite a feat, too.  I irrationally hate Tolkien.

5 - Splinter (bonus) - I was a bad host this week to the one guest that showed up.  Just chips and salsa and the bare minimum of cleaning.  I have bought almost everything to make duck confit sandwiches and truffle tater tots for my wife's birthday party, though.

• Like 1

As a side note, this week I'm going to try something different with my running and lifting since I have so much going on for the weekend (Valentine's dinner on Friday, birthday party on Saturday).  I'm going to attempt to front-load all my exercise except for my long run and see how that pans out for me.  I am going to do short runs Monday through Thursday and lift Monday through Wednesday.  I'll probably be exhausted Thursday night and go to bed sometime around 8:30.  I think I should be able to recover well enough since I'm splitting up my lifting into muscle groups.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 9:21 AM, Mike_d85 said:

this week I'm going to try something different with my running and lifting since I have so much going on for the weekend

An update on this: I ended up missing a run this morning.  Not because I was tired from exercising, but because I got a stomachache and couldn't sleep for a good two hours.  Otherwise I'm on schedule and a little sore.

On 2/7/2018 at 2:21 PM, Mike_d85 said:

1 - Leonardo - Maintain running and weightlifting.   12 week program is at 3 days a week and running at least 30 km a week (ideally across 4 short runs and 1 long run).  50% weightlifting, 50% running.

i follow running goals! good luck!

running_valentin_kirilov.gif

• Thanks 1

Week 1 Recap:

1 - Leonardo - Maintain running and weightlifting. - 100%  Lifting 50% running.  My wife's birthday party kept me from doing a long run on Saturday and the plan was to run on Sunday after a light snow.  The light snow turned out to be about 6 inches.

2 - Michelangelo - Bulking (food).  - I, um... don't know?  I found a pretty bad flaw in my calorie counting worksheet and re-tooled it to find that I've been OVER-eating carbs because it was referencing the number of protein calories I should be eating.  Woops.

3 - Donatello - Finances - We're taking a stab at buying a house.  Monday we need to either renew our lease or commit to buying a house now.  We're pre-qualified and have a bit of cash on hand so it's a tough call.  I wish the apartments weren't pushing us because a month would really help us make a calm, rational decision. 

4 - Raphael - Hobbies (Guitar) - Nada.  I been house shopping.  I signed up for the website but that really doesn't do anything without sitting down and working through the lessons.  Looks like the beginner's section will be a tough slog as I know most of it.  I might skip ahead and hope I haven't missed anything.

5 - Splinter (bonus) - I made duck confit in the crock pot, white truffle tater tots, and set up a cheese pie buffet.  The wife's birthday was a hit.  I probably shouldn't make a habit of eating duck braised in fat with a side of white potatos, beer, and fluffy cheese cake filling.

large.jpg

• Like 1

On 2018-02-20 at 6:02 AM, Mike_d85 said:

5 - Splinter (bonus) - I made duck confit in the crock pot, white truffle tater tots, and set up a cheese pie buffet.  The wife's birthday was a hit.  I probably shouldn't make a habit of eating duck braised in fat with a side of white potatos, beer, and fluffy cheese cake filling.

Or should you?!? That sounds amazing. Unf. 

Good luck with the home stuff. If you decide not to sign a new lease, how long will you have?  What’s the penalty for breaking the lease if you do sign?  I feel so lucky to have been renting month-to-month when I was making the same decision. 

7 hours ago, Radost said:

Good luck with the home stuff. If you decide not to sign a new lease, how long will you have?  What’s the penalty for breaking the lease if you do sign?  I feel so lucky to have been renting month-to-month when I was making the same decision. 

Our lease is up in May, but the landlord wants us to renew by next Friday.  We have the option of switching to month-to-month but it jacks up our rent by several hundred dollars a month and the rates increase if we sign later than next Friday as well (though I don't know how much).  I haven't considered breaking the lease at all.

Yup, I don't envy you that decision.  If you have a written lease from last year, it's probably worth checking out what it would take to break it - sometimes there's a financial penalty, but sometimes you're fine so long as you find a subletter you and the landlord can agree on to take over the lease.  Hope you and your wife find a solution that works for you guys.

Holy crap, it's only week 2?  I thought it was week 4.  Why is this challenge taking an eterinty?  Week 2 recap:

1 - Leonardo - Maintain running and weightlifting. - 66%  Lifting 100% running.  I missed leg day taking my sick wife to the doctor.  I didn't manage to make it up.  Take note I'm setting up a running theme here.

2 - Michelangelo - Bulking (food).  - I still don't know.  I didn't manage to get my plan into my fixed spreadsheet and spent my whole week taking care of 2 dogs and a sick wife.  I'm roughly eating the same way as before starting to add food with an afternoon snack added.  I'm at least doing better than usual.

3 - Donatello - Finances - We're staying put for another year to save money.  I'm going to open a savings account expressly for that purpose at another bank so I'm not seeing a savings account balance the same time as my checking account.  I assume that will keep me from taking a few hundred dollars at a time "temporarily" because something came up.

4 - Raphael - Hobbies (Guitar) - Still no.

5 - Splinter (bonus) - We cancelled the big rugby day (4 matches with all the good teams playing each other) because we didn't want my wife infecting everyone.  I made smoothies for her.  They're tasty so I guess I can call that a success.  Frozen cherries (1lb), frozen pineapple (1lb), silken tofu (whatever a block is), and OJ (however much loosens it up).  Surprisingly tasty for something so simple.

• Like 1

Week 3 recap:

1 - Leonardo - Maintain running and weightlifting. - Basically nothing.  I ran one morning and got my bench presses done before I decided it was a bad idea to continue.  I think I picked up the virus my wife had, but I'm staving off getting REALLY sick by not doing any exercise this week other than walking dogs.  I have a little bit of a sore throat and ache a little, but that turned into bronchitis and a fever for my wife so I'm trying not to push it.

2 - Michelangelo - Bulking (food).  - I have looked at my food and I'm not eating quite enough, but I'm not concerned since I haven't been exercising.

3 - Donatello - Finances - We now have a savings account just for a down payment.  This weekend we'll be paying off the credit card and depositing a few thousand into the account.

4 - Raphael - Hobbies (Guitar) - I've pulled some tabs (short-hand sheet music for guitar) that I'm going to work on learning.  Since I'm trying to avoid doing too much this weekend I'm definitely going to spend some time trying to play the guitar.

5 - Splinter (bonus) - I've been eating functional meals pieced together that were intended for dinner for two for two nights for the past two weeks.  I am probably going to make a decadent meal of some kind over the weekend.  I just don't know what it is yet.

Final roundup:

1 - Leonardo - Maintain running and weightlifting. - 66%  Lifting 50% running.  I'm now *actually* sick so I can't run while coughing and didn't want to lift and exacerbate things.

2 - Michelangelo - Bulking (food).  - I hit all my targets for the last week once I sorted out my errors on my spreadsheet.  I'm not proud of the cleanliness of the food I was eating, though.  Next challenge I'm going to work on cutting out the refined sugar and laying off the booze (exception for St. Patrick's Day).

3 - Donatello - Finances - We are signing the lease for the coming year tonight.  We have a savings account expressly for a down payment and I have direct deposit contributing to it with each paycheck.  Mischief managed.

4 - Raphael - Hobbies (Guitar) - Not really, but I... um... don't care that much?  I've gotten some tabs and watched a few beginner lessons for electric, but I really have not musical ambitions beyond "noodle a bit to fill time".  The mood simply hasn't struck me, I suppose.

5 - Splinter (bonus) - I didn't provide nearly good enough food to my guests for my standards.  Everything kind of went to pot when my wife got sick, but we still should have bothered putting together more when we had people over.

For my long term goals for the year, I did measure myself and had basically no change in my size (spreadsheet).  Of course, I missed half my lifting days and have no clue if I was hitting my nutritional goals the first four weeks or so of this challenge.  I'm debating if I'll be moving on to phase 2 this week or if I should lay off and try to increase my lifts next week.  It'll probably depend on how I feel in the next day or two.  Speaking of which I need to sort out what my goals are for the next challenge, plus I have a half marathon in the middle of that).  I'm laying off week 0 efforts anyway until this cough is good and gone so I suppose that gives me time.