Iceburner #7: Slaying the Belly Beast

Iceburner

Previously on the Iceburner Battle Log:...

Adiposis, the Obesity Oger, offspring of Sloth, god of the lazy, and Gluttony, goddess of the ravenous was about to destroy this hero's life happy life if not stopped.

Setting out to defeat the Oger he discovered the NerdFitness Academy where he started to study the ancient ways of defeating  Adiposis and his alike. And he gave himself the name Iceburner, because he had a lack of imaginiation when it comes to good names, so he just translated his name to the tounge of the natives of the Academy.

He also discovered that a rebellion had formed and joined the Assassins Guild. With them he was able to undertake several quests and fought valiantly though sometimes awkwardly against the Obesity Oger's minions, defeated them so that Adiposis was forced to retreat to the dark realm.

Victory was near!

But Sloth, god of the lazy, had somehow convinced his cousin the goddess Liability to send their sons Strain and Burden to diviate Iceburner from the path of awesomeness and he strayed. Weary from battle he decided to settle in the valley of Cosy and let the rebellion continue the fight without him. And he and his wife lived happiliy... until...

Until our hero relized that the minions of Adiposis were creeping up on him again. Gluttony had send the Hordes of Candy while Sloth diverted him with Videogames. Iceburner knew it was time to pick up weapons again. But during his time of absence he had realized that he was at best just a mediocre Assassin and he wanted to retaliate with a vengeance. So he decided to follow the way of the Rebel doing whatever needs to be done to best Adiposis and his minions.

So he picked up two cudgels and set out again to give the Obesity Oger a good beating... with a vengeance!

Which brings us to today and the Main Quest of

SLAYING THE BELLY BEAST

Story:
The Belly Beast, one of the many minions of the Adiposis, had watched Iceburner secretly over the last year, using every oppotunity to grow until it was ready. It just appeared once in a while, peered at him from under one of his old T-Shirts. Sometimes it hid in plain sight when Iceburner was walking by a mirror on his way to the shower. Its time was now. It leaped at him heading directly for his eyes.

facehugger.gif.9143752cda226591c0046f43cd8e5a01.gif

Goal:
The battle against the Belly Beast begins. I will use the knowledge and skills that I had learned during my training at NF Academy and my previous quests here with the Rebellion and start a frontal attack on the Belly Beast myself using the most rigorous training routine I ever did.

I am back in the game.

Elaborate description (you might want to stop reading here):
Over the last 3 months my training came to a complete stop because I became halfheartedly about it. Planning on exercising 4 times a week I was happy when I did it twice a week. After that was the new status quo, I became content with training once a week. And in the end it was ok to train not at all since there are excuses everywhere.

I additionally realized that I started procrastinating more and more and instead of filling the time where I could have trained with something useful, I used them for gaming, but not because I enjoyed the game... ok I did that too... but on some deeper level to fill some void and to overcome times of low energy (the result of not training anymore).

So it's time to stop being half-assed and start being awesome instead! And to clarify, this challenge is not about getting a slim waist, but about using the knowledge and skills I have for getting the good habits I neglected back in my life and getting used to a regular training schedule again. And what is more regular than every day ;)

Loot:
Hide of the Belly Beast (Enough to tailor swimming trunks and a sleeveless shirt)

Subquest 1: To beat the Beast, become the Beast

becomeTheBeast.gif.fc331aa3145839dcee3e451d3de06709.gif

Goal:
BodyBeast training for 4 weeks / 6 days a week

Description:
2 and a half weeks ago I started to challenge myself with the BodyBeast workout. So far I kept my committment training 6 days a week and I really enjoy the training with weights. I also like that just one muscle group feels really tired for a day or two. The training is time consuming but I cut down my gaming time and binge watching of series. I still try to find a way to not get to work late. Luckily I have very flexible work hours, but still...

Ratings:
A - 22-24 Training sessions completed (there are events during the weeks that make total perfection difficult to impossible,  so I cut myself some slack)
B - 20-21 Training sessions completed, 2 weeks were perfect
C - 18-19 Training sessions completed, 2 weeks were perfect
D - 16-17 Training sessions completed, 1 weeks was perfect

Attributes: STR: +4, STA: +1
Loot: Hal-bar-d (EZ Curl Bar)

Subquest 2: Use skills and knowledge

knowledge.gif.54bd30f2a3f5d837d7f70d730f648fed.gif

Goal:
Create weekly meal plans and log the food

Description:
I log my food as I used to to and will reflect on my food intake for creating meal plans

Ratings:
A - 98% of my food logged
B - 83% of my food logged
C - 75% of my food logged
D - 55% of my food logged

Attributes: WIS +1, CON +1, STA +1
Loot: The clever Kobold (Lifesum suscription)

Subquest 3: If you don't know what to do, just punch him in the face

enterTheDojo.gif.27f6ccd13d649e3d27e59df5527c7317.gif

Goal:
Attend Martial Arts training twice a week or a total of 8

Description:
My Wing Chun training also came to a complete stop. I picked it up last week again and will go at least twice a week for the next 4 weeks (or 8 sessions in total)

Ratings:
A - All 8 Training sessions completed
B - 7 Training sessions completed, 3 weeks were perfect
C - 6 Training sessions completed, 2 weeks were perfect
D - 5 Training sessions completed, 2 weeks were perfect

Attributes: STR: +1, STA: +1, DEX +2
Loot: 4 books of martial skills

Life Goal: Level up

linkLvlUp.gif.d2b19b2d65ecd5af7ed25f1e82f24a03.gif

Goal:
Level up in Habitica to Lvl. 79

Bonus: 12 key toDos

Description:
To track my habits and ToDos, I use habitica.com. There I am currently Lvl. 77 and want to Lvl. up to 79 which just means I have to work continously on my toDo list to get things done

Bonus toDos:

1. make appointment /w dentist

2. make appointment /w hearing care

3. take care of administrative stuff from sweden

4. take care of train discount card

5. cancel swedish phone subsription

6. cancel old membership contract

7. pay online order

8. schedule flight simulator event

9. make Hummus

10. send router back

11. buy NAS

12. recalculate examples from udemy course

Ratings:
A - Level up to Lvl. 79
B - Level up to Lvl. 78 and gain 2/3 of exp for lvl. 79
C - Level up to Lvl. 78 and gain 1/3 of exp for lvl. 79
D - Level up to Lvl. 78

Attributes: STA: +2, CHR: +1
Loot: Captains Log (Habitica Subscription)

Results:

week 1
Subquest 1: A
Subquest 2: A
Subquest 3: A
Life Goal:  A - done

Rebel Mini Boot Camp: achieved Fighter Lvl.5

week 2
Life Goal:  ---

Rebel Mini Boot Camp: achieved Fighter Lvl.8

week 3
Life Goal:  

1. make appointment /w dentist

2. make appointment /w hearing care

3. take care of administrative stuff from sweden

7. pay online order

11. buy NAS

Rebel Mini Boot Camp: achieved Fighter Lvl.9

week 4
Subquest 1: B
Life Goal:  

4. take care of train discount card

6. cancel old membership contract

Rebel Mini Boot Camp: achieved Fighter Lvl.10 Elite Cadet!

Rebel Mini Spread Sheet

• Like 5

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

I meant to reply yesterday and got distracted but HELLO AND WELCOME BACK!!! 

21 hours ago, Iceburner said:

he gave himself the name Iceburner, because he had a lack of imagination when it comes to good names, so he just translated his name to the tounge of the natives of the Academy.

I'm so curious about your native language. Your English is really good, but Iceburner is just such an intense name! Mine just means "fourth child." 

Your goals look great! It's good to hear you already got back into the BodyBeast and Wing Chun a little in advance, so you're not just going from 0 to 60 with the start of this challenge. I see a lot of people biting off more than they can chew and it's the #1 reason for challenge failure, but it sounds like you've set yourself up for success. 

Good luck fighting off Adiposis! You got this, Iceburner! 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I meant to reply yesterday and got distracted but HELLO AND WELCOME BACK!!! 

I know what you mean, I get distracted much too of... Hey, a butterfly!!! 

22 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm so curious about your native language. Your English is really good, but Iceburner is just such an intense name! Mine just means "fourth child."  

Well, my native language is German. In our family we have this theory how this name came to be, but it's not confirmed by any... err... <insertCorrectTermForPersonThatStudiesTheHistoryOfNamesAndStuff>: 

Could be that Eis-brenner (Ice-burner) actually derived from Eisen-brenner (Iron-burner). So it could have been someone that was a steel maker, steel worker, worked in the iron mine or a smithy. Although there is no profession in Germany today, that is called iron burner...

...come to think of it, in some restaurants they pour alcohol over your ice cream and set it on fire... maybe my ancestor was just a fancy waiter! :surprise:  

33 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Your goals look great! It's good to hear you already got back into the BodyBeast and Wing Chun a little in advance, so you're not just going from 0 to 60 with the start of this challenge. I see a lot of people biting off more than they can chew and it's the #1 reason for challenge failure, but it sounds like you've set yourself up for success. 

Good luck fighting off Adiposis! You got this, Iceburner! 

Thanks. So far I'm really good in keeping up with the BodyBeast workout and the food logging. I managed to go to my Wing Chun training just once a week over the last 3 weeks, so either I have to adjust my goals now before the challenge starts, or put in more effort. I think I'll do the latter. First of all I had enough time to plan this and secondly: No backsies!

pinkySwaerNoBacksies.gif.9d19192e5666a415a471701f35dec2ef.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Hi Iceburner! Welcome back! Welcome to the Rebels!

On 2/7/2018 at 3:51 PM, Iceburner said:

And to clarify, this challenge is not about getting a slim waist, but about using the knowledge and skills I have for getting the good habits I neglected back in my life and getting used to a regular training schedule again.

Knowledge, skills, and habits, that's the recipe for a successful challenge. :) (Along with flexibility and adaptability for when things don't quite go according to plan. Or when the plan decides to spontaneously combust.)

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Mine means "wolf king".

4 hours ago, Iceburner said:

...come to think of it, in some restaurants they pour alcohol over your ice cream and set it on fire... maybe my ancestor was just a fancy waiter!

That's some pretty intense ice cream... o_O

Good luck!!!

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

5 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Knowledge, skills, and habits, that's the recipe for a successful challenge. :) (Along with flexibility and adaptability for when things don't quite go according to plan. Or when the plan decides to spontaneously combust.)

For real. 

6 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Mine means "wolf king".

If it's surnames mine's "son of fair snow" so I guess if you put them together I'm snow's fourth kid? Still nowhere near as cool as wolf king or ice burner. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

If it's surnames mine's "son of fair snow" so I guess if you put them together I'm snow's fourth kid? Still nowhere near as cool as wolf king or ice burner. 

If you add surname, then I'm a wolf who is king of a barn (or a king who resides over a barn full of wolves). But having a barn for a kingdom isn't very impressive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

you two crack me up :D

• Like 3

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Ok, my pleasure to present my progress -so-far report:

Subquest 1 (beasty): Managed 3 wokouts so far this week. Tuesday I took a scheduled break. Unfortunately in order to be  able to complete my Subquest 3 this week I had to skip workout yesterday. But today and tommorrow I can still finish workout 5 and 6 so that's good. I realize this Subquest is veeery ambitious, but that was the point from the beginning.

Subquest 2 (versed): Logging food works perfectly again. I have to estimate the sizes (and sometimes ingredients) of food at restaurants, but that works pretty well and most of the time I cook my own food anyway and bring it to work. 

Subquest 3: (punchy) Attended 2 Wing Chun classes this week as planned. Due to work I had to move the Thursday session to Friday which messed with my training schedule for Subquest 1 (as mentioned before).

Life Goal (1up): Managed quite some items from my todo list so I leveled up my habitica character already to lvl. 78. But now there are some toDos on my list that I postponed for quite a while, so wish me luck that I do not start procrastinating.

All in all I am very happy with the weeks progress so far. I will have to keep up the effort for all my subquests though. I hope all of you can help me with that. :)  

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

I must say I love your gif choices. 

I love Dodge Ball. Mr. Butternut and I have talked about him dressing up as White Goodman and is dress up like Fran

• Like 3

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

So far it is. This week will be a bit of a challenge, since I will travel (Friday) and attend a wedding (Saturday). Then there is the wedding party and of course the day after :surprise: (Sunday)

So I planned my schedule accordingly:

- My Wing Chun training has to be done by Thursday

- Friday I will manage a regular workout in the morning

- Saturday I will do a legs workout in the hotel, since I won't necessarily need weights for that

- Sunday will be my rest day... resting day... the day I rest on...

- Food logging during the wedding party will be fun. From the top of my head I predict a calorie intake on that day of 4600 kcal. And just half of it will be food ;)

terenceHillEating.gif.7e624eb4281a0e1dd4e874db0abe1037.gif

I also realized, that making up meal plans for the week is not my thing and really not necessary. I'm good at buying healthy food and no superfluous stuff. So meal plans are just additional overhead and will constantly rendered useless due to spontaneous events or my wife buying food. So I'll remove meal plans from the challenge.

• Like 5

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

On 2/12/2018 at 1:51 AM, Iceburner said:

- Sunday will be my rest day... resting day... the day I rest on...

Do we need to repeat this a few more times to make it stick? Sunday, the Day of Rest... :D 

On 2/12/2018 at 1:51 AM, Iceburner said:

I also realized, that making up meal plans for the week is not my thing and really not necessary. I'm good at buying healthy food and no superfluous stuff. So meal plans are just additional overhead and will constantly rendered useless due to spontaneous events or my wife buying food. So I'll remove meal plans from the challenge.

Good for you! One of the best things is being aware of what challenges are helping you and which ones are getting in your way, and feeling comfortable getting rid of the useless excess. Good on you for being flexible and letting go of something that isn't needed! 

Also, like, congrats on buying healthy food and eating well in general and stuff, I guess. That's great too. But making a challenge work for you! That is the best! (Sometimes my priorities are not exactly in order, lol)

• Like 2
On 08/02/2018 at 7:36 PM, Iceburner said:

I know what you mean, I get distracted much too of... Hey, a butterfly!!! 

Well, my native language is German. In our family we have this theory how this name came to be, but it's not confirmed by any... err... <insertCorrectTermForPersonThatStudiesTheHistoryOfNamesAndStuff>: 

Could be that Eis-brenner (Ice-burner) actually derived from Eisen-brenner (Iron-burner). So it could have been someone that was a steel maker, steel worker, worked in the iron mine or a smithy. Although there is no profession in Germany today, that is called iron burner...

Sorry I only got this far before I had to reply XD

Funnily enough I am an English speaker with a German surname! If I could work out what it means (I've been told a number of things... including traveller, cart-man etc.) maybe I could've done something similar... 

But alas, Blethan will have to do XD (which i just my name but if you were to say it while also making noises of disgust ...)

• Like 4

-Rebel-

4WC 2019 : 2.7.2

“Get a dream, hold on to it and shoot for the sky.” 

-- Dusty Rhodes

18 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Do we need to repeat this a few more times to make it stick? Sunday, the Day of Rest... :D 

Good for you! One of the best things is being aware of what challenges are helping you and which ones are getting in your way, and feeling comfortable getting rid of the useless excess. Good on you for being flexible and letting go of something that isn't needed! 

Also, like, congrats on buying healthy food and eating well in general and stuff, I guess. That's great too. But making a challenge work for you! That is the best! (Sometimes my priorities are not exactly in order, lol)

I was actually just looking for the best expression for 'rest day' :D , but I probably should have repeated that a few more times since my wife persuaded me to play Badminton on Sunday. Well, at least I can substitute myself for my brother-in-law.

Yes, and always good to discover what's important and what's not early in the challenge (or even better, before) and adjust. :)

Some update on my challenge:

Yesterday evening my wife and I went to a Greek restaurant and had a lot of food. Afterwards we were invited to a friends house. Now my normal calorie intake is between 2100 (no workouts) and 2600 kcal (workout days). Thanks to this evening I made it to 3400 kcal and only because I had just a smoothie for breakfast. I don't mind really, since it's no problem to do this once in a while. I just think it's interesting how the values can go up so fast. :)

This morning I had my cardio workout... really don't like it much. Maybe I don't like to do cardio in my apartement. Give me a ball and let me run on a playing field, or let me ride my bicycle or let me run through the woods and things would be different. Anyway. I think is was also due to the huge amount of food and some drinks and the lack of sleep that I felt tired during the exercises. So I probably did just half of the reps and had more breaks in between. But I pulled through and my heart rate was up all the time so I count it as a win! B)

This week I did not attend my Wing Chun training so far, so I have to go today and tomorrow if I want to make it this week.

• Like 3

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

2 hours ago, Iceburner said:

This morning I had my cardio workout... really don't like it much. Maybe I don't like to do cardio in my apartement. Give me a ball and let me run on a playing field, or let me ride my bicycle or let me run through the woods and things would be different.

I am exactly the same way. I can barely tolerate indoor cardio -- I hate running on treadmills or ellipticals or riding stationary bikes. But put me outside, and I'll stay at it for hours! 

Sounds like things have been going pretty well! Sometimes we do have high-calorie days, and they can definitely get in the way of short-term gains, but over the long-term I agree it's not that big a deal. In fact, it might be really helpful, both to ease the stress of strict dieting and to let your body know it's not famine times. ;) Keep it up! 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I am exactly the same way. I can barely tolerate indoor cardio -- I hate running on treadmills or ellipticals or riding stationary bikes. But put me outside, and I'll stay at it for hours! 

Sounds like things have been going pretty well! Sometimes we do have high-calorie days, and they can definitely get in the way of short-term gains, but over the long-term I agree it's not that big a deal. In fact, it might be really helpful, both to ease the stress of strict dieting and to let your body know it's not famine times. ;) Keep it up! 

Count me in that boat as well. I can do treadmills if I have to, but I prefer walking outside much much more. I've only ever ran on a treadmill once, and I it was really weird to me. (back when I could run)

• Like 3

Recap of week 1

Subquest 1: To beat the Beast, become the Beast

Goal: 6 days a week
Done: 6 days a week
Rating: A
Comment: Nailed it! Even went to the hotel gym on Saturday where I did the legs workout.

Subquest 2: Use skills and knowledge

Goal: log the food
Done: logged breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks every day
Comment: Logged everything, even all the food and drinks on the wedding on Saturday. When I was in doubt, I logged more. Total calorie count: 4663 kcal (Estimated on Wednesday: 'From the top of my head I predict a calorie intake on that day of 4600 kcal.')

Subquest 3: If you don't know what to do, just punch him in the face

Goal: Attend Martial Arts training twice a week
Done: Wednesday and Thursday
Comment: So much fun when you realize you have at least 'some' skills after all this years of training.

Life Goal: Level up

Goal: Level up in Habitica to Lvl. 79
Done: Leveled up to Lvl. 79 already and I am close to Lvl. 80
Ratings: A
Comment: Completely underestimated my progress on leveling in Habitica. Too be honest those exp points I got where mainly from habits and daily toDos than from the huge toDo list. So while I technically finished this subquest already I am not content with my progress on my toDos. So I'll add some key-toDos to my initial post.

Summary: I totally rocked my challenge this week and I am super happy and proud. But while this looks so easy in this post, let me tell you it wasn't! It took a lot of effort to make it a AAAA Score. The coming week might be even harder, since I have some additional appointments destributed all over the week. But I'm far from complaining, I just want to be aware that I have to plan my workouts and training and continue strong.

Rebel Mini Boot Camp: achieved Fighter Lvl.5

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Thanks @Tateman . :)

Had another leg workout today which was already harder than last week. I think I did too much danicing at the wedding on saturday. But the band was just too good :)

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Hi back to you :)

and thanks. Try to continue that way.

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

On 2/20/2018 at 3:29 AM, Iceburner said:

Thanks @Tateman . :)

Had another leg workout today which was already harder than last week. I think I did too much danicing at the wedding on saturday. But the band was just too good :)

Just consider the dancing as a type of workout. You were moving and working those legs and getting some cardio in. I mean let's be honest, some dancers legs....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWnwq4VBul6dlV4Iqrg64

• Like 1