• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman continuing the Battle to Avoid Surgery

Challenge #2 of the year. Let's do this. My last challenge went really well for me.

96% overall score. It was exactly what I needed in my return to the Nerdfitness forums. With in one month, I have stopped taking all my medication and lost 22 lbs.

With seeing success in the last challenge, this challenge will be very similar. I will add in a few more upgrades to my challenge goals, to push myself a bit more. Hopefully, this will enforce the habits to have them as a good base for the rest of this year, and beyond.

Now, on towards the goals for this challenge!

IRAAAcPm.png

Goal #1: Keto on, and add in IF

I have successfully ate in the keto method since the first of the year. I figure I may as well continue that on. This challenge, I want to add intermittent fasting back into my eating habits. Now, I may need to adjust the eating window from time to time, but I am going to go for a consistent 18/6. 18 hours of fasting, 6 hours of eating time.My window will be 11 am to 5 pm. This should cover most my needs for times I need to get eating in by. I still need to track everything in MyFitnessPal.

kFEuD40.gif

Goal #2: Walking, Walking, Walking...

I started off last challenge going for 3 days a week to walk on. Eventually moving up to 5 days. This challenge I want to start off with 5 days a week of walking. Eventually moving up to 6 or 7 days, or possibly staying 5 days, but increasing step count. My eventual goal is to get back to running, and possibly adding in body weight workouts.

MrvQnCY.gif

Goal #3: You must still get Sleep

I did well last challenge with closing down everything by 11:30 pm, reading till 12:30 am, then getting to bed. Though I have been able to easily slip back into night owl habits in the last few days. I need to have this again. I also notice I wake up a lot more while my wife is getting ready for work. So to get more possible sleep, I am going to try to get to bed 30 minutes earlier. Shut all things down by 11 pm. Then read till Midnight, and head to bed. I'm going to grade on reading as well, because it is too easy for me to not read, but still get to bed on time.

7A4ShiY.gif

Goal #4: Start and finish Introduction to Linux

I figure for a bit of fun, I'll take an online course. I've played with linux from time to time, but don't know a lot. This means time to take this class I signed up for awhile back :) https://www.udemy.com/introduction-to-linux-centos-7/learn/v4/overview Looks like 26 lectures, so I'm guessing enough to last the month.

Grading:

Goal #1 - 7 days, 3 points per day. 1 point for IF, 1 point for tracking, 1 point for under 20 net carbs

Goal #2 - 5 days, 1 point per day of walking. (may get adjusted during the challenge)

Goal #3 - 7 days, 2 points per day. 1 point for reading started at 11, and 1 point for heading to bed at 12.

Goal #4 - 6 points per week. Almost one per lecture course.

Weekly points:

Week 1: 37/40 points - 92%

Week 2: 38/40 points - 95%

Week 3: 0/   points - 

Week 4: 0/   points - 

Overall challenge score: 

Measurements End of last challenge/Start of new challenge/Finish:

(taken Feb 5th)

Weight: 345.6 lbs / 340.2 lbs / 335.4 lbs

Neck:  19.68 in / 18.85 in / 19.60 in

Chest:  54.72 in / 53.74 in / 52.95 in

Waist at bell button:  59.84 in / 58.66 in / 58.07 in

Bicep (L):  16.37 in / 17.08 in / 17 in

Bicep (R):  16.33 in / 17.04 in / 16.61 in

Forearm (L):  13.34 in / 13.46 in / 13.22 in

Forearm (R):  13.58 in / 13.58 in / 13.50 in

Thigh (L):  29.44 in / 28.70 in / 28.58 in

Thigh (R):  28.30 in / 27.99 in / 27.71 in

• Like 5

Get it, Tateman!!! 22 pounds!! That's spectacular!! I'm so glad to hear keto's working out for you and you got off your meds and are doing so well. Keep at it, you're doing great! 

All of your goals look wonderful. Keep us posted on your progress, I'm following along and rooting for you! You got this!!

• Like 3

Wow! You did do well last challenge!
I think for my next challenge I might try bumping over to the Rangers, but I hope you don’t mind me still following your challenge. I want to see how the continuing battle goes.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Wow! You did do well last challenge!
I think for my next challenge I might try bumping over to the Rangers, but I hope you don’t mind me still following your challenge. I want to see how the continuing battle goes.
Good luck!

5 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

You've got this! Keep it up! :D

Thanks :) I've been slacking a bit this week before the official start. Not worth it so far! haha. Eating I am doing alright though. Still keto, but I had a couple of days that I wanted to eat all the things, even though I wasn't hungry.

• Like 2

Sleep last night was rough

OXCsWl8.jpg

12:49 am to 9:50 am. Not so great haha. Plus I woke up way too much. So got to get this on track for the new challenge

No walking this week. It's been busy, and I have been tired.

Just got back from a hockey game, and figured I would pop in a quick update

• Like 3

Congratulations on your success of your last challenge. You got a good plan in place for this. Simple and clear.

Looking at your sleep log made my think about my sleep the last weeks and I came to the conclusion that I should make that part of my challenge, my next one, that is. I go to bed too late and wake up in between too, so I'll have to work on that...

...anyway, just came buy to say: good luck! :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tateman said:

12:49 am to 9:50 am. Not so great haha. Plus I woke up way too much. So got to get this on track for the new challenge

There are some yoga stretches that are recommended for right before bed to help get a restful night's sleep, you could try those? 

All my other sleep tricks are specifically insomnia-related, they don't necessarily help with deepening sleep or not waking up, just with getting down in the first place. 

No walking this week. It's been busy, and I have been tired.

You might feel less tired if you exercise? It could also help you sleep better and rest better. (She says, having skipped her last two days of exercise and complaining loudly about how tired she's been.) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iceburner said:

Congratulations on your success of your last challenge. You got a good plan in place for this. Simple and clear.

Looking at your sleep log made my think about my sleep the last weeks and I came to the conclusion that I should make that part of my challenge, my next one, that is. I go to bed too late and wake up in between too, so I'll have to work on that...

...anyway, just came buy to say: good luck! :)

Thanks :) One thing I always seem to forget, is just how important sleep is. When I am tired, it is a lot easier to give into the side of me that wants to lay in bed and do nothing.

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

There are some yoga stretches that are recommended for right before bed to help get a restful night's sleep, you could try those? 

All my other sleep tricks are specifically insomnia-related, they don't necessarily help with deepening sleep or not waking up, just with getting down in the first place. 

You might feel less tired if you exercise? It could also help you sleep better and rest better. (She says, having skipped her last two days of exercise and complaining loudly about how tired she's been.) 

I was doing ok with reading before bed to settle myself down, but I have been skipping it more and more, or getting very little of it in. That's why I added grading to getting the reading in as well this challenge. Like last night, I ended up watching "just one more episode" of altered carbon, instead of winding down. So then I try to get to sleep right away at 1 am.

I have also notice, I do feel much better when I walk in the morning, even if I had a bad night of sleep. The problem is getting out there to do it like I want.

• Like 4

OK, things are starting to get better for me overall.

Last night, I got to sleep at a decent time. Then my sleep was good as well. I stuck to my Intermittent Fasting hours yesterday, and today.

I didn't walk today. With my son's bowling, and everything else, it just didn't get done.

I got back from bowling a bit ago. I was up at Clayton Valley Bowl tonight.

MZmixLe.jpg

The place really had the old school vibe going on. Nice modern score system though. Same that I have at my local bowling center.

They provided a meal for the bowlers tonight. I did not partake though. Smelling it though did make me feel some hunger pains. I didn't take any pictures, but it smelled great. I could see pizza and Lasagna up there. Also tons of sweets. Don't these guys know I'm trying no to eat this stuff? haha.

Unfortunately, I did not bowl well. 160, 188, and 199 for a total of 547 series. Our match club split 2-2.

Friday recap

Food:

MyFitnessPal Food Diary.  1604 Calories, 16 net carbs. I did stick to my IF window.

Exercise:

Does walking around Costco count? haha. No real walk done.

Sleep:

djWvxaV.jpg

Fitbit tracked 12:36 am to 8 am. I had an alarm set to 8 to get ready for kid's bowling. Overall sleep was good. I got in my reading, and made it to bed by 12:30 am. Now to start moving the time up. By Monday, I want to be in bed by midnight.

Tomorrow

We have an early Barracuda hockey game to go to. I need to make sure I eat before, otherwise, I'll be fasting till 3 pm haha.

I also have to raid in World of Warcraft, and get some chicken cooked. Still need a few things from the grocery store as well.

I am working on getting myself ready for the challenge to start up :)

• Like 3

OK, things are starting to get better for me overall.
Last night, I got to sleep at a decent time. Then my sleep was good as well. I stuck to my Intermittent Fasting hours yesterday, and today.
I didn't walk today. With my son's bowling, and everything else, it just didn't get done.

I got back from bowling a bit ago. I was up at Clayton Valley Bowl tonight.
MZmixLe.jpg
The place really had the old school vibe going on. Nice modern score system though. Same that I have at my local bowling center.
They provided a meal for the bowlers tonight. I did not partake though. Smelling it though did make me feel some hunger pains. I didn't take any pictures, but it smelled great. I could see pizza and Lasagna up there. Also tons of sweets. Don't these guys know I'm trying no to eat this stuff? haha.

Unfortunately, I did not bowl well. 160, 188, and 199 for a total of 547 series. Our match club split 2-2.

Friday recap

Food:
MyFitnessPal Food Diary.  1604 Calories, 16 net carbs. I did stick to my IF window.
Exercise:
Does walking around Costco count? haha. No real walk done.

Sleep:
djWvxaV.jpg
Fitbit tracked 12:36 am to 8 am. I had an alarm set to 8 to get ready for kid's bowling. Overall sleep was good. I got in my reading, and made it to bed by 12:30 am. Now to start moving the time up. By Monday, I want to be in bed by midnight.

Tomorrow
We have an early Barracuda hockey game to go to. I need to make sure I eat before, otherwise, I'll be fasting till 3 pm haha.
I also have to raid in World of Warcraft, and get some chicken cooked. Still need a few things from the grocery store as well.

I am working on getting myself ready for the challenge to start up

I’m impressed that your not that good bowling scores are higher than I’ve ever scored in my whole life.

• Like 4

Yeah, what isn't good games for me, is great games for others :) Technically, I am in the 195 ish range for my average.

Good news, I got out for a walk this morning. Now to keep it going for the challenge start :)

• Like 3

Today, was a good day.

:)

Last night, I got to bed by 12:30 am. Target for the new challenge is Midnight, so hitting that tonight.

qYmRNuS.jpg

12:29 am to 8:02 am. 8 seems to be like the time I am always going to wake up. Had a couple of awake times, but overall, I think the sleep was fine.

Food yesterday: MFP Food Diary.  1487 Calories, 15 net carbs. IF times were good yesterday. Also hit IF times today without too much issue. My biggest problem today was only having a little breakfast, then having to have a big dinner to try to get my calories in. Just been running around all day haha.

I also went for a walk this morning.

vwkbjpa.jpg

2.2 miles 41 minutes. It felt nice to be back out there. I wasn't trying to set any land speed records or anything, just getting out for a walk.

So tomorrow is the big day 1 of this challenge. Good luck all!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Sounds like a wonderful day! Good luck with the (rest of your) challenge!! You're on a roll, Tateman!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

According to Fitbit, I wake up several times during the night. Not really sure how to change it though.

When I was wearing an UP band, it used to tell me that I would have periods of waking during the night, but I never recall actually waking up. I do roll over while I'm sleeping sometimes, but since it doesn't interrupt my rest I don't know that I would count it as "waking up." If you feel well-rested, is it really a problem? 

On the other hand, I also always consider the whole second sleep concept, and wonder if my rest could be even restier if I switched over. Sleep is a very interesting and very under-studied field. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Nice start to the challenge. According to Fitbit, I wake up several times during the night. Not really sure how to change it though.

Thanks. Day one has gone well :) There are the littel periods that it detects sometimes, and I don't. Usually the bigger ones, I do remember. So I think it is mostly correct :)

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

When I was wearing an UP band, it used to tell me that I would have periods of waking during the night, but I never recall actually waking up. I do roll over while I'm sleeping sometimes, but since it doesn't interrupt my rest I don't know that I would count it as "waking up." If you feel well-rested, is it really a problem? 

On the other hand, I also always consider the whole second sleep concept, and wonder if my rest could be even restier if I switched over. Sleep is a very interesting and very under-studied field. 

In the past, I actually hear of people switching over to a different sleep cycle. Apparently more popular in the old farming days. People would go to bed when it got dark. Then wake up in the middle of the night. Stay up a couple of hours doing whatever, then get back to sleep.

• Like 3

I'll have a recap tomorrow of today. Though I did start day 1 with decent sleep.

spD7x0p.jpg

11:55 pm to 8:22 am. Looks like I was awake until 12:15 ish. Slept great though, except the part where I woke up while my wife is getting ready for work.

I walked yesterday, but not today. I did have bowling later on.

Ate within my IF window. 

Weight wise, I am down to 340.2 lbs to start the challenge. 5.4lbs lost from last week, and 27.4lbs since January 1st.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Tateman said:

People would go to bed when it got dark. Then wake up in the middle of the night. Stay up a couple of hours doing whatever, then get back to sleep.

Yes, this is the concept of second sleep. It was pretty much standard behavior pre-electricity, so much so that it is routinely referenced in older literature with no explanation, because it was just how things were done and was assumed everyone would know what you were talking about. There are also special prayers to say before your second sleep. 

Often those nighttime hours are particularly productive: it's a good time for creativity, sex, and other forms of socialization. It's an interesting concept, but I'm always doing things just before and just after bed time, so if I extended the period of my day that is sleep-or-between-sleeps it would cut into those other things I like. It's a conundrum. 

• Like 3

Yes, this is the concept of second sleep. It was pretty much standard behavior pre-electricity, so much so that it is routinely referenced in older literature with no explanation, because it was just how things were done and was assumed everyone would know what you were talking about. There are also special prayers to say before your second sleep. 

Often those nighttime hours are particularly productive: it's a good time for creativity, sex, and other forms of socialization. It's an interesting concept, but I'm always doing things just before and just after bed time, so if I extended the period of my day that is sleep-or-between-sleeps it would cut into those other things I like. It's a conundrum. 

Fascinating. I’ve never heard of second sleep before. It doesn’t really work with a modern society’s schedule though, does it?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Fascinating. I’ve never heard of second sleep before. It doesn’t really work with a modern society’s schedule though, does it?

I think it would be harder these days, but I am sure people could do it. Most people I know don't head to bed when the sun goes down. Hell, some people are still at work :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

As it turns out, the shift away from the two phases of sleep was instituted quite intentionally with a mind to increase productivity and efficiency, pretty much as soon as night time was no longer the dangerous habitat of the criminal element. Street lamps, and later, home electricity, paved the way for the change. 

If anyone is interested in learning more, here is a nice BBC article that offers a decent overview of the situation and further sources. 

• Like 3

Today went pretty well. Just got back from my walk a bit ago :) 

Monday recap:

Decent start to the challenge, but I need to do some time management to make sure I get all things worked on.

Goal #1: Keto on, and add in IF

MFP Food Diary.  1767 Calories, 8 net carbs. I did stick to my IF eating window. 11 am - 5 pm. 

Goal #2: Walking, Walking, Walking...

None done on Monday. I got in some steps, but no real walk.

Goal #3: You must still get Sleep

PKU9PSt.jpg

12 am to 7:59 am tracked via Fitbit. I felt like I took a little bit to get to sleep again, but overall, it was a nice sleep. Seems liek my wake up times are just about the same each morning. Brief moments, but there.

Goal #4: Start and finish Introduction to Linux

I honestly forgot I had this as my goal (even today I ran out of time) Will have to focus it a bit tomorrow.

• Like 4

Seems like my wake up times are just about the same each morning. Brief moments, but there.

Is there maybe an external stimulus that's bugging you every morning? A train going by on schedule, an annoying bird, a neighbor driving home from the graveyard shift and flashing their headlights past your window? 

• Like 1