• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

I am Groot: 12 Week Goals;Feb.5-April 30

On the NF blog, Steve wrote a blog titled https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/want-results-be-like-groot-i-am-groot/  He talked about the "Groot Method" Groot  grows from a twig to a " giant walking tree badass hero" Groot's power is in his slow consistent growth. 

groot-dance.gif

I've tried to make big Epic Quest goals, but not done very well.  I made to many and had a hard time following through, and often completely forgetting them until suddenly it was the end of the year.  The aim of this accountability group is to take big goals , that take longer than a month, but break it down into smaller goals.Working on our epic quests consistently will help us  complete our quests and "Be  Like Groot",

Specifics:

Your goal (s)can be whatever you want. Fitness, family, life, adventure etc. Try and choose a goals that you can complete in about 12 weeks.

You can pick more than one goal. I plan on having two 

Break that goal down into weekly goals. Each Monday we will report on how far along we are on the goal. For reporting purposes we'll give ourselves a percentage as to how far along we are each week for our weekly goal. 70%- 79% complete=C, 80_89% = B 90- 100 % = A

Thanks @annyshay for the unit idea. The GUardians of the Galaxy uses units for their currency, and since we are Groot, we will too, Here's how it goes

For each goal:

100 units for task 1 of dividing your goal into smaller chunks

Each week:

100 units  for reporting in each week ( even if you totally miss your goal if you report in you still get units)

If you completed 70% - 79 %of what you intended to FOR THAT WEEK= 200 units

If you completed 80- 89 % of what you intended to FOR THAT WEE=K 300 units

If you completed 90- 99% of what you intended for that week =400 units

If you are 100% on target for the week you get the= 400 units + 100 unit bonus

BONUS ROUND- At the half way point March 25th- if you are on track for finishing your goal and at about at least 40 % of the way there  500 BONUS UNITS

End Game;

If you achieved about 80%- 89% of your goal= 100 Units

if you achieved 90 -99% of your goal=2,000 Units

100 goal complete =8,,000 units

To break that down  (per goal)

You get 100 units once you pick a goal and break it down into smaller goals

100 Units for each week you report in

The max number of units each week  is 500 units

the Bonus round is 500 units

end game max  unit= 5,000

Each goal has the possibility of earning 21,300 NITS

Plus, As the game designer, I may hand out random units just because I liked something you did.

I don't have an excel sheet or anything fancy to keep track of it. Each person is responsible for counting their own Units.

Tagging @elizevdmerwe and @annyshay

tumblr_nb71nrrkIx1rrkahjo1_500.gif

• Like 5

I'll start with my goals: I've started on some of these already, but I the goals will just be a continuation

Complete 2 Scrapbooks/ download and choose pictures for start of another

Home remodeling: downstairs basement and bath remodeled; this one relies o contractors and husband, so some of it is out of my hands, however if I'm waiting on stuff to get done I can work on prepping for the next section

Edit; waiting to do bath remodel; goals finish the carpet downstairs, organize bookshelves, place loose pictures in photo boxes; choose vanity for bathroom

• Like 4

I think this accountability group fits well with my focus for 2018. I want to change some of my behaviors to become the person I want to be, not the person I settle for because I'm too lazy. I want to get to the point where I automatically think this is messy and I clean it. No more, oh that is messy, oh well i'll do it tomorrow. 

My goal is a little longer than 12 weeks, December 2018, if all goes as planned. I need the help with being accountable though. My plan is that each challenge I do,  I'll build on the habit I established from the previous challenge. For Level 1, which is the current challenge I'm all about getting organized, changing my mentality when it comes to cleaning and creating an environment that encourages growth, positivity and happiness. 

I have 3 daily cleaning tasks, 7 weekly tasks, 4 bi-weekly tasks, 6 monthly tasks, 1 bi-annual task and no annual task this month.

Week Task Breakdown (each task = 1 point)

Dailies - 21 points

Weekly - 7 points

Bi-Weekly - 2 points

Monthly - 1 point (Week 3 = 3 points)

Total = 31 or 34 points each week

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I think this accountability group fits well with my focus for 2018. I want to change some of my behaviors to become the person I want to be, not the person I settle for because I'm too lazy. I want to get to the point where I automatically think this is messy and I clean it. No more, oh that is messy, oh well i'll do it tomorrow. 

My goal is a little longer than 12 weeks, December 2018, if all goes as planned. I need the help with being accountable though. My plan is that each challenge I do,  I'll build on the habit I established from the previous challenge. For Level 1, which is the current challenge I'm all about getting organized, changing my mentality when it comes to cleaning and creating an environment that encourages growth, positivity and happiness. 

I have 3 daily cleaning tasks, 7 weekly tasks, 4 bi-weekly tasks, 6 monthly tasks, 1 bi-annual task and no annual task this month.

Week Task Breakdown (each task = 1 point)

Dailies - 21 points

Weekly - 7 points

Bi-Weekly - 2 points

Monthly - 1 point (Week 3 = 3 points)

Total = 31 or 34 points each week

Awesome! It will be fun to watch your progress.

• Like 2

Ok. I've thought of my two 12 week goals. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to break it down week by week. Done! Not necessarily in order.

1) Career Launching Pad

Spoiler

- NIH biosketch

- 2 page CV

- personal development plan

- proposal for LEAP

- career convo with Dr. Young

- ID week abstract

- UTI and URI cards

- start study

- analyze baseline prescribing

- board review plan

- scholarly reading plan

- organize journal archive

2) Spring Cleaning

Spoiler

- glue futon attachments

- replace ottoman rollers

- buy futon sheets

- call a locksmith

- request apartment repairs

- purge shipping supplies

- organize office

- update amazon listings

- clean bedroom corner

- find a place to have chair(s) upholstered

- assemble new island

- toss everything still broken!!!

Regarding gamification, maybe we should keep it simple? In the Guardians of the Galaxy universe, currency is expressed in units. We can assign units for progress on 12 week goals and other things we deem important (checking in, sharing vision, encouraging each other, I dunno what else). Then at the end we can use units for... something. Maybe designate our own loot based on how many units we earn?

• Like 3

I need to figure out where I want to go, although my path seems pretty well set at the moment. I want to improve on my strength and fitness, and stay consistent throughout the year.

Tangible goals:

• Do pull ups. Work on improving and doing a full pull up by end of 12 weeks.
  • ??? will get back to you on this one, I'm not sure yet.

I'm not good at ideas about gamifying or such.

EDIT: Setting out my plan for pull ups-

1. Phase 1: Walk the plank (w.t.p.) in chin up position 3x8 1min. rest between sets. Mondays & Fridays
  2. Phase 2: Walk the plank in pull up position 3x8 1min. rest between sets. Mondays & Fridays
  3. Phase 3: Chin ups and fill sets in with w.t.p. 3x8 1min. rest between sets, until I can do 2x full chin ups. Mondays & Fridays
  4. Phase 4: Chin ups until I can't then hold the last one till I can't any more. Slowly let myself down. 3x8 2min. rest between sets. Concentrate to get as many chin ups done as possible. Mondays & Fridays
  5. Phase 5: Pull ups until I can't then hold the last one till I can't any more. Slowly let myself down. 3x8 2min. rest between sets. Concentrate to get as many pull ups done as possible, until I can do 8 pull ups. Mondays & Fridays.
Edited by elizevdmerwe
updated my pull up goal
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, annyshay said:

Ok. I've thought of my two 12 week goals. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to break it down week by week. Done! Not necessarily in order.

1) Career Launching Pad

Reveal hidden contents

- NIH biosketch

- 2 page CV

- personal development plan

- proposal for LEAP

- career convo with Dr. Young

- ID week abstract

- UTI and URI cards

- start study

- analyze baseline prescribing

- board review plan

- scholarly reading plan

- organize journal archive

2) Spring Cleaning

Reveal hidden contents

- glue futon attachments

- replace ottoman rollers

- buy futon sheets

- call a locksmith

- request apartment repairs

- purge shipping supplies

- organize office

- update amazon listings

- clean bedroom corner

- find a place to have chair(s) upholstered

- assemble new island

- toss everything still broken!!!

Regarding gamification, maybe we should keep it simple? In the Guardians of the Galaxy universe, currency is expressed in units. We can assign units for progress on 12 week goals and other things we deem important (checking in, sharing vision, encouraging each other, I dunno what else). Then at the end we can use units for... something. Maybe designate our own loot based on how many units we earn?

Nice goals! I like the units plans

16 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I need to figure out where I want to go, although my path seems pretty well set at the moment. I want to improve on my strength and fitness, and stay consistent throughout the year.

Tangible goals:

• Do pull ups. Work on improving and doing a full pull up by end of 12 weeks.
  • ??? will get back to you on this one, I'm not sure yet.

I'm not good at ideas about gamifying or such.

For the pull ups, maybe  set a goal for   each week of what you are going to do

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

For the pull ups, maybe  set a goal for   each week of what you are going to do

I want to follow this guy's pull ups programme, and later his push ups programme as well. I'll have a look how to adapt my training programme to include one or both of these. I'll finalise what I want to do after M.P. tomorrow. At the moment my head is a bit "full" or empty, depending on how you look at it :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Good luck at Muddy Princess, and bring us some pictures! :D

:D Thank you, I will. At a stage this afternoon I wished that you guys could be with me. It would be the one team I would gladly take part with.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I want to follow this guy's pull ups programme, and later his push ups programme as well. I'll have a look how to adapt my training programme to include one or both of these. I'll finalise what I want to do after M.P. tomorrow. At the moment my head is a bit "full" or empty, depending on how you look at it :D

Oh,I had forgotten about him. I did that program.Very solid. I love his quote "Every pound fat is like an anchor pulling you to the ground' I need to remember that when I'm tempted to overeat

• Like 2

This week I've broken down my tasks as such.  My vacuum died so vacuuming might get pushed back a few days but my plan is to go to the store today and see if I can find one I like. 

wc.PNG.39209c40f9fce371dcbfd85d29666b5c.PNG

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

This week I've broken down my tasks as such.  My vacuum died so vacuuming might get pushed back a few days but my plan is to go to the store today and see if I can find one I like. 

wc.PNG.39209c40f9fce371dcbfd85d29666b5c.PNG

Is this your Bujo? it's very pretty. Sorry the vaccum cleaner decided to battle your attempt at winning the galaxy and decided to die on you. Isn't that always the case, where we get all ready and geared up to do something and something happens?:)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elastigirl said:

Is this your Bujo? it's very pretty. Sorry the vaccum cleaner decided to battle your attempt at winning the galaxy and decided to die on you. Isn't that always the case, where we get all ready and geared up to do something and something happens?:)

Yes that is my bujo and thank you. I keep playing with different layouts trying to figure out which ones help me focus on my challenges without being too much like a habit tracker. I fail at tracking habits. Lol

So my big vacuum broke shortly after Thanksgiving and I've been using my tiny dirt devil for spot cleaning and it decided that it didn't want to work either. Time to put on my big girl panties and buy a new one. I also want to look into getting a carpet shampooer. My tax return came in today so that makes this doable. :) 

• Like 2

My goals for this week:

Scrapbook; finish 4 pages

Home remodel: Pack up 2 bookshelves (carpet is being laid March 1st so I'm prepping) start looking at bathroom vanities; For the home remodel it's a bit hard to lay out a timeline but I really want to show forward progress being made each week

• Like 2

My goals for this week:

I'm taking it a bit easier this week as my left bottom ribs/muscles in that area got a bit of a shot on Sunday with the Muddy Princess OCR. It is sore when I breath in deeply, and bend or sit in the car. Also if I lie down on my right left (left blondy, left) side. Not pass out pain, just sore and makes you think twice before breathing deeply. But, nevertheless:

• Mini kettlebell (I'm using a dumbbell) swing will be done this week. Trying for 3x10 @ 10kg everyday.
  • I'm starting Phase 1 on the pull ups (walk the plank chin ups), mentioned earlier on. That will only be done on a Monday (missed) and Friday.
  • I'm not going to add push ups to my goal list, because I'm only going to fit it in once a week, thus it will most probably take longer than 12 weeks.
Edited by elizevdmerwe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Not pass out pain, just sore and makes you think twice before breathing deeply.

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I'm starting Phase 1 on the pull ups (walk the plank chin ups)

I'm impressed that you are even going to attempt chin ups with your strained bottom rib/muscle pain. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I'm impressed that you are even going to attempt chin ups with your strained bottom rib/muscle pain. 

If I stop doing anything all together I'm afraid I'll loose the ground/momentum I've built up, and then struggle to get going again. After the dumbbell swings AND especially the stretches this afternoon, it actually feels a bit better. I'll see how the chin ups go. If it is too painful then I'll wait till next week. I won't push myself to do every single rep if it hurts too much.

• Like 2

I'm sad, but I'm not going to be able to continue with my pull up progression this challenge. I'm copying my comment on my thread, here:

Brandt (hubby) told me to stop treating my ribs as if it was just a bruise as it was obviously not. There are no dark marks on my skin, everything is inside and it hurts, especially if I have to breath deeply, bend, turn, lie down... but not so that I need pain pills. From what we read on dr. Google I might have torn a ligament or two. So I'm going to stop upper body exercises, but will still try to walk, do lunges ( :( ), etc. if I can. I don't want to stop totally because it took me such a long time to get myself together again to train and get going and get where I'm now.

I had to drive around so much and just from doing what I needed to for household, I was in serious pain today. So Pegasus Injure (homeopathic pillules) are on the "menu", and some pain meds if necessary.

55 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I'm sad, but I'm not going to be able to continue with my pull up progression this challenge. I'm copying my comment on my thread, here:

I had to drive around so much and just from doing what I needed to for household, I was in serious pain today. So Pegasus Injure (homeopathic pillules) are on the "menu", and some pain meds if necessary.

I'm sorry.Hopefully taking it easy and slowing down will help. Do you have anywhere you can buy Tumeric in capsule form? I've found that really helpful for pulled muscles, and not as hard on the stomach as something like ibuprofen. Take it easy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm sorry.Hopefully taking it easy and slowing down will help. Do you have anywhere you can buy Tumeric in capsule form? I've found that really helpful for pulled muscles, and not as hard on the stomach as something like ibuprofen. Take it easy.

I'll have a look at the health store this weekend, although the Pegasus Injury is already having a good effect. I wonder whether Tumeric isn't one of the ingredients? I'm stiff and only sore when I do the wrong things, it isn't constant pain anymore.

• Like 2

Finished my scrapbook yesterday. I just need to edit it now. Shutterfly is having a sale that ends President's Day, so my goal is to have it ready to order by then.

Also worked some on packing up books to get ready for the carpet to be laid. My goal this week was to start that, and to also start looking at vanities for our bathroom. But, thinking about it , I'd be better off to focus on one task and get it done before moving on to the next. And packing takes a bit because I'm decluttering as I go. Pretending like I'm moving. Would I take this book with me if I had to move it? 

• Like 1

Checking in for the week, review taken from my challenge. 

Weekly Review

What I've learned so far...I know my cleaning schedule/plan is going to change as I keep doing it. I already know tasks will need to be changed just so I actually hit my whole house. I'm currently doing everything in small increments instead of taking on the whole task in one go. I know that because I'm so far behind in actual cleaning I'll get overwhelmed and just not want to do anything. So when I say, scrub the bathroom, I scrubbed just the sink. It's a good way for me to be flexible and spontaneous while sticking to a schedule. I love planning, routines, and schedules but a part of me needs some spontaneity. 

Level 1 Goals

Dailies

This goal went great. As soon as I roll out of bed I make it if I have time in the morning I remember to pick up anything off the bedroom floor, and as soon as I get home I check the sink. If I didn't pick up stuff off the floor in the morning, I do it right before bed. It's not automatic but it is something I think about often. I'm pleased with the progress of this goal and I envision it's evolution. I won't rush the process though so it's keeping it basic for now. 

Weekly

I like breaking this down by doing 1 thing per day, even if I don't hit it on the day I intend to. I only got 6 points because I put off moping the floor for this week. I'm supposed to get my floor cleaner tomorrow so I'm not going to mop it today when I know I'll want to test out the new cleaner tomorrow. Need to learn to be flexible while having a schedule so...this works. Lol

Bi-Weekly

Did great! I even bought 4 new pillows that I'm super excited to sleep on. Oh, the adult things that make me happy. :) 

Monthly

I originally had 2 monthlies planned for this week but totally forgot about cleaning out the fridge. I have all month to do it so I'm not worried. 

Week Task Breakdown
Dailies - 21/21 points
Weekly - 6/7 points
Bi-Weekly -  2/2 points
Monthly - 1/1 point 
Total = 30/31

Units Breakdown
100 units for breaking down my cleaning task
100 units for reporting in
400 units for hitting 97% of goal points
Total = 600 units

14 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Checking in for the week, review taken from my challenge. 

Weekly Review

What I've learned so far...I know my cleaning schedule/plan is going to change as I keep doing it. I already know tasks will need to be changed just so I actually hit my whole house. I'm currently doing everything in small increments instead of taking on the whole task in one go. I know that because I'm so far behind in actual cleaning I'll get overwhelmed and just not want to do anything. So when I say, scrub the bathroom, I scrubbed just the sink. It's a good way for me to be flexible and spontaneous while sticking to a schedule. I love planning, routines, and schedules but a part of me needs some spontaneity. 

Level 1 Goals

Dailies

This goal went great. As soon as I roll out of bed I make it if I have time in the morning I remember to pick up anything off the bedroom floor, and as soon as I get home I check the sink. If I didn't pick up stuff off the floor in the morning, I do it right before bed. It's not automatic but it is something I think about often. I'm pleased with the progress of this goal and I envision it's evolution. I won't rush the process though so it's keeping it basic for now. 

Weekly

I like breaking this down by doing 1 thing per day, even if I don't hit it on the day I intend to. I only got 6 points because I put off moping the floor for this week. I'm supposed to get my floor cleaner tomorrow so I'm not going to mop it today when I know I'll want to test out the new cleaner tomorrow. Need to learn to be flexible while having a schedule so...this works. Lol

Bi-Weekly

Did great! I even bought 4 new pillows that I'm super excited to sleep on. Oh, the adult things that make me happy. :) 

Monthly

I originally had 2 monthlies planned for this week but totally forgot about cleaning out the fridge. I have all month to do it so I'm not worried. 

Week Task Breakdown
Dailies - 21/21 points
Weekly - 6/7 points
Bi-Weekly -  2/2 points
Monthly - 1/1 point 
Total = 30/31

Units Breakdown
100 units for breaking down my cleaning task
100 units for reporting in
400 units for hitting 97% of goal points
Total = 600 units

Great week! I like how you are figuring out what works for you in cleaning . Making the dailies a habit will really help. On the fridge- this may or may not be helpful, but this is what I do. Once a week, I dump out any old food, and do a quick wipe down of  the stuff. I don't take everything out, I just wipe what I can see. It's never "spotless" clean that way, but it stays relatively clean and is easier for me to maintain than trying to think I have to thoroughly clean it all, and making it into a monumental task.

• Like 1