Respawn of a Sword Mage Lv.1

Hello all, my name is Josh AKA Siuken. I've been a long time lurker, part time challenger, until I just stopped...for years. but as they say gamers never die, so here is my attempt to come back. Last year I started off with a bang, I actually was making decent strides till I injured my back and was out for a month. It was like all the bad habits flooded back, and I fell off the bandwagon. I let my fitness fall to the wayside, let my self make excuses and today I say no more. I wasn't going to do this challenge at first, I'm untrained, and to be perfectly honest scared to put myself out there, to post stuff like this make me uncomfortable, but I got to face this head on or I will never make the changes I need to. Some things to know about me: I am a jack of all trades and a master of none when it comes to the geek world. I love video games and table tops, comic books and long novels, Marvel and DC. Here lately I've been binge watching the show Critical Role, which is amazing. I am a Sheriffs Deputy, Father, and seeker of knowledge.

Main quest: Consistency- I've always loved being a sword mage, in any fantasy game, where I can, I build a sword mage. I need to dust off my tomes, and re-sharpen my sword, in a sense its back to basics. My main focus of this challenge is to rebuild the good habits I obtained last year and do them consistently.

Side quest 1: Workout- First habit I want to rebuild is working out M, W, F for at least 30 mins. I was doing the 5x5 strong lifts before my injury, I want to start that back up.

Side quest 2: Eating- I need to clean up my diet, which mainly consists of eating fast food almost every day I am on shift. This can no longer stand. I want to start cooking food at home and bring my lunch to work. I want to start learning how to meal prep in order to complete this quest.

Side quest 3: Mind- I have a very stressful job. in order to keep my stress levels inline and center myself I want to spend 15-20 mins a day in quiet meditation, prayer and reacquaint myself with God and spend time in his word.

My reward for completing these quests will be that I get to buy a Critical Role, or A D&D T-Shirt

TL;DR: Im fat and want to rebuild good habits. Also I love D&D.

• Like 4

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

| STR - 2 | DEX - 2 | INT- 3 | CON - 2 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 3 |

Previous challenge: Respawn of a swordmage

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream- C. S. Lewis

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

40 minutes ago, Jiah Faye said:

Welcome!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

Hi Josh!  Welcome to the game!

You’re off to good start, with pretty clear quests to tackle.  For your second quest however, Eating, you haven’t posted a plan of attack.  How are you going to start learning to meal prep?  What action(s) are you going to take in order to progress and succeed at this Eating quest?

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

10 hours ago, Azukmul gro-Dragnar said:

Welcome!

As far as cooking at home goes,  there are plenty of meal prepping tips around the forums (I think!).

I'm a chef, if you have questions feel free to ask!

Thank you! good to be here. I'm a pretty acomplished cook myself, however I cant imagine cooking and entire weeks worth of meals in a day, it seems a bit daunting. i may take you up on the advice tho! thanks again.

40 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Hi Josh!  Welcome to the game!

You’re off to good start, with pretty clear quests to tackle.  For your second quest however, Eating, you haven’t posted a plan of attack.  How are you going to start learning to meal prep?  What action(s) are you going to take in order to progress and succeed at this Eating quest?

This is where I was having some issues making a firm choice. I've been trying to calorie count on myfitnesspal but an almost years worth of over eating makes it hard to stay in the calorie limit. hence the wanting to learn how to meal prep, because then I'm forced to only eat what I brought. I think the best place to start is at the beginning, as Azukmul gro-Dragnar suggested I think i will go through the resources in the forums. 

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

5x5 is bae, make sure you share the requisite complaining about squats with the group. It's kinda rite of passage to have squats shatter your spine, and then tell the group about it.

For meal prep, it can be easier to take bite sized chunks of total meal prep, if that's your goal. Instead of trying one Sunday to cook 15 meals for the week ahead, it can be more manageable to maybe make one big pan of chicken and veggie fritatta? Boom, breakfast for 3-4 days and you're not going mad trying to juggle things. Then, a week or so later, maybe try putting a few lbs of chicken thighs in a crockpot with butter and mustard? It's not a full lunch, but throwing those in a tupperware for work lunches with some broccoli or an apple every day? That's a lot better than just hitting up McDonald's (although shamrock shakes are coming soon...)

• Like 2

Level 37 [Stonesong Gemwright]

4 hours ago, Laghail said:

5x5 is bae, make sure you share the requisite complaining about squats with the group. It's kinda rite of passage to have squats shatter your spine, and then tell the group about it.

For meal prep, it can be easier to take bite sized chunks of total meal prep, if that's your goal. Instead of trying one Sunday to cook 15 meals for the week ahead, it can be more manageable to maybe make one big pan of chicken and veggie fritatta? Boom, breakfast for 3-4 days and you're not going mad trying to juggle things. Then, a week or so later, maybe try putting a few lbs of chicken thighs in a crockpot with butter and mustard? It's not a full lunch, but throwing those in a tupperware for work lunches with some broccoli or an apple every day? That's a lot better than just hitting up McDonald's (although shamrock shakes are coming soon...)

That's a really good Idea. I'm going to make a plan this weekend on what kind of meal prep I need to make and start it on Sunday, I work 12 hour shifts  M, T, F, Sat. and Sun so its only 5 days that I need to prep for. Squats are king, yet they hate me so much lol. But overall I look forward to the grind!

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

3 hours ago, Kummerspeck said:

Hello! I'm new here, too. Just thought I'd come by and say I'm a fellow Christian and that your side quest 3 is a great one. It's difficult to prioritize time with God sometimes. You'll be in my prayers.

Thank you! I hope you make great strides in this challenge, welcome!

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Hi, Siuken! Yes, consistency is so important, great that you want to intentionally work on it. I want to second Kummerspeck and encourage you for the side quest 3. Funny, I just made prioritizing Scripture study, meditation and prayer my third subquest for the same reason - being more prepared to tackle the stress. Nothing gives more peace, guidance and trust than time with God through his living word in the beginning of the day. I wish you the choicest blessings in that endeavor, and will also have you in prayer.

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

27 minutes ago, MattSkywalker said:

Hi, Siuken! Yes, consistency is so important, great that you want to intentionally work on it. I want to second Kummerspeck and encourage you for the side quest 3. Funny, I just made prioritizing Scripture study, meditation and prayer my third subquest for the same reason - being more prepared to tackle the stress. Nothing gives more peace, guidance and trust than time with God through his living word in the beginning of the day. I wish you the choicest blessings in that endeavor, and will also have you in prayer.

Thank you! 

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

9 hours ago, Art3m1s said:

Amazingly well rounded goals. Good luck! 

Also, I love how you have a reward for yourself when you succeed. Think I might have set myself one too. :) got my eye on some awesome Mass Effect workout shirts. 

3480bc-heathered_gray_bc-md-t-training-to-be-a-spectre.png

I love Mass Effect! I've been contemplating another play through. i feel like i need more nerd shirts lol. Guess i gotta complete more challenges. 

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Day 1:

Woke up didn't want to work out- did it

Didn't want to read/meditate- done

Didn't want to make food for lunch- ugh....goes to kitchen to cook

My sword is still a bit dull and there a pile of books i need to study, but at least I cracked a spine of one and started sharpening my sword. Each step leading me, molding me, making me stronger. Allowing me to achieve my ultimate goal... 

Started this challenge with my mind still in bed lol. But I at least did it. 

• Like 3

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Kudos for going against the flow, it will pay out in time!

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

Day 2: Spell failure.

Note for future self, make sure you have all components before casting a spell, or suffer spell failure and the potential of your spell blowing up in your face.

Natural1fly.jpg.89bc56cebf90cd5ee6ecf2ad234f7da9.jpg

So today I went way over my calorie limit. Didn't cook anything, bring lunch or anything, just failed. No excuses.  

I did however meditate so that was a bonus. Going to work out in the morning at the gym in the department, I'm really looking forward to it.

But for now I'm going to just keep on going.

• Like 2

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

:) Love your honesty and determination - no excuses, but still getting up. Good that you kept meditating. Wishing you best!

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

12 hours ago, Siuken said:

Day 2: Spell failure.

Note for future self, make sure you have all components before casting a spell, or suffer spell failure and the potential of your spell blowing up in your face.

So today I went way over my calorie limit. Didn't cook anything, bring lunch or anything, just failed. No excuses.  

I did however meditate so that was a bonus. Going to work out in the morning at the gym in the department, I'm really looking forward to it.

But for now I'm going to just keep on going.

Props on the attitude, keep moving and do better the next day.

• Like 1

Level 37 [Stonesong Gemwright]

Hey buddy!  Heeey!  Coming in to check on my fellow Critter.    Nice set up!  Good goals.  LOVE the pics and such.  ALSO love Mass Effect!  <3 <3  I mean, if you couldn't tell by the quotes I throw in my sig, I may have an obsession with Bioware games.

The component analogy is absolutely brilliant!  I LOVE IT!

(And am stealing it...)

because...

giphy.gif

Definitely following along!

Oh, also.  I am doing Stronglifts too!  Perhaps we can adventure together with that!  And also also?

If you love sword wielding mages, you have GOT to read this book called, Broken Blade.

https://kellymccullough.com/the-fallen-blade-story/

It is about a bad ass sword-wielding, familiar having, assassin mage.   I am not a reader, and I have read through the first two books of this series and am IN LOVE with this concept/story!    So so good.   I have the 3rd one waiting for me, but I need to finish Aftermath II before I start it.   Seriously, amazing mix of everything I love.  (Rogues/assassins are my fave.)

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

11 hours ago, Art3m1s said:

Love the picture! 

All good. I'm pretty sure we all have those days. It was a shock for me on my first day of food tracking discover I was actually almost half again my calorie limit. 

Kudos for still meditating. :) 

Thank you,  I'm a huge d&d nerd (obviously given my challenge) I think I'm gonna need to find more pics for this challenge lol.  I've been using the youversion bible app to kind of remind me to read and pray, its set to go off every day and that keeps me honest when I don't want to meditate and pray. You're right tho, we all have probably had our fair share of set backs, but what are they other than obstacles to jump over or power though! :)

9 hours ago, MattSkywalker said:

:) Love your honesty and determination - no excuses, but still getting up. Good that you kept meditating. Wishing you best!

I was sitting there typing out the update, and in my mind I was coming up with excuse after excuse on why I went over and how it wasn't such a bad thing, but the fact of the matter is I am the master of my fate, I guide and make the decisions that ultimately led me here, running from that doesn't change it. I can either acce pt it and work on changing it, or continue as I used to and just be like I'm fine, this is fine.

tumblr_p3vgabZNv61vz02ndo1_500.png.3e00f21c03146b58d0683b16b5af5314.png

3 hours ago, Laghail said:

Props on the attitude, keep moving and do better the next day.

Thank you, part of life is learning this lesson. Hard lesson to learn none the less. 

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

Hey buddy!  Heeey!  Coming in to check on my fellow Critter.    Nice set up!  Good goals.  LOVE the pics and such.  ALSO love Mass Effect!  <3 <3  I mean, if you couldn't tell by the quotes I throw in my sig, I may have an obsession with Bioware games.

The component analogy is absolutely brilliant!  I LOVE IT!

(And am stealing it...)

because...

giphy.gif

Definitely following along!

Oh, also.  I am doing Stronglifts too!  Perhaps we can adventure together with that!  And also also?

If you love sword wielding mages, you have GOT to read this book called, Broken Blade.

https://kellymccullough.com/the-fallen-blade-story/

It is about a bad ass sword-wielding, familiar having, assassin mage.   I am not a reader, and I have read through the first two books of this series and am IN LOVE with this concept/story!    So so good.   I have the 3rd one waiting for me, but I need to finish Aftermath II before I start it.   Seriously, amazing mix of everything I love.  (Rogues/assassins are my fave.)

HAHAHA ello my fellow critter! Feel free to take whatever analogy or pic you like. I'm sure a greater restoration spell or you know....some sort of deal may help with that itch

tumblr_ocyawhLRMH1s6xg9wo6_r1_250.gif

(ironically I'm writing this wile watching CR)

and I have to ask, did you beat ME3? If so what ending did you choose? 

Also heck yeah always game for more people in the adventuring party, I love 5x5, its simple, to the point and convenient with the app and all. I booked marked the site with eh books, I'm gonna make a list of reading material here soon and probably use that as one of my goals next challenge. Thank you!

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Day 3: I would like to...RAGE

Not long after my spell failure, I was sitting there feeling sorry for myself. When all of a sudden a deep seated rage came upon  me, what was I doing? I am a freaking sword mage, we don't wallow. We adapt. We overcome. We dominate with fire and steel. With renewed spirit I pick up my sword, take a deep breath, and feel the arcane flow. 

So pretty much right after I wrote my day 2 update I got off my butt and walked around. I figured movement of any kind would be so much better than just sitting there staring at a computer screen for 12 hours. I did my rounds, did occasional sprints (40 feet back and fourth) not only to help get in a mini cardio session but to keep me awake. lol. This morning I pounded out my frustration in my workout, added some ball slams (strangely cathartic), burpees (these suck majorly), mountain climbers(also suck) and lifted heavy.

tumblr_nwer6o8Kby1uz17elo9_r1_250.gif

Came home made a small breakfast of eggs and went to sleep. woke up, and now I am looking at different recipes to make for lunch at work. I'm thinking keeping it simple, chicken, veggies, small amount of carbs and I can make a few days work of lunches in a small amount of prep time. 

Got my meditation and prayer knocked out too. Today feels like beast mode. however I am sore, and utterly exhausted lol. (I can barely type this my arms are so tired)

tenor.gif?resize=301,200&ssl=1

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Way to turn the corner on Day 2!  Looks like it helped set you up for a good start on Day 3 too!   Ahhhh I love that I can come to another thread and see CR stuff.   If you're not familiar with  @Jarric He is also a critter, and is doing his own version of Keyleth's Arament quest from the first Campaign.  He's spending a challenge in each guild this year!  How cool is that?)

Yes, I beat ME3.   I redid the ending though...

Spoiler

The first one, I heard all the options and was like... That's bullshit!  No!  I am not choosing one of those.  I fought for 7 RL years to get here, and I am not .... merging with a machine or causing this or that to be gone forever... nooo!    So I did the '4th' option which... is OMG THE WORST.    Basically it's years in the future and you find a holotape of Liara saying "If you've found this, we've failed..."      

W.T.F.    So I reloaded it, and chose the option to kick its ass.   Which... I guess is the best ending... in that if you wait until the very last run of credits, you see the N7 armor take a breath and you can, at least in your head, think that Shepherd survived.

What a great series though, eh?

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

5 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Way to turn the corner on Day 2!  Looks like it helped set you up for a good start on Day 3 too!   Ahhhh I love that I can come to another thread and see CR stuff.   If you're not familiar with  @Jarric He is also a critter, and is doing his own version of Keyleth's Arament quest from the first Campaign.  He's spending a challenge in each guild this year!  How cool is that?)

Yes, I beat ME3.   I redid the ending though...

Hide contents

The first one, I heard all the options and was like... That's bullshit!  No!  I am not choosing one of those.  I fought for 7 RL years to get here, and I am not .... merging with a machine or causing this or that to be gone forever... nooo!    So I did the '4th' option which... is OMG THE WORST.    Basically it's years in the future and you find a holotape of Liara saying "If you've found this, we've failed..."      

W.T.F.    So I reloaded it, and chose the option to kick its ass.   Which... I guess is the best ending... in that if you wait until the very last run of credits, you see the N7 armor take a breath and you can, at least in your head, think that Shepherd survived.

What a great series though, eh?

Same Ending for meh, couldn't happen any other way

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage