Miss Arty's first challenge

Hi, I'm Abigail (/Gail, Artemis, Arty, Miss Arty ...). I'm really, really good at starting plans but not so good at keeping them. I have training/workout/life plans that have been going on for a few weeks now and hope that this challenge is going to help me stick to them for longer. So, the quests ... 

Quest 1: Above average half ironman time on December 15 and 100% score on Police physical tests 

- I have a workout plan already, but I have yet to complete absolutely everything for an entire week, I always miss something. For this challenge, I will complete every workout (run, cycle, and strength) for each of the four weeks. 

Quest 2: Come in under 70kgs (this means about 1kg lost per week for the duration of my long-term goal) 

- Count calories for a week and then adapt my eating habits

- Drink 8+ big glasses of water per day (I have this glass with a unicorn on it that sits at my workstation - it holds about 450 ml so I should get 3.5 L of water a day) 

Quest 3: Reduce our debt 

- Get jobs so I'm making at least $300 per week (it may not seem like a lot, but I travel a lot and look after the home so can't really get a permanent full-time job at the moment) 

(- A companion step to this quest is to get my partner involved in budgeting and reducing our debt as well. I've been given this 90-day Budgeting Boot Camp that I'm going to try and get us to go through.)

Quest 4: Get my book ready to publish (I've got a novel that's near the end of its umpteenth draft and is just starting at the editor's) 

- Work on it hard, for 1-2 hours, every single day (writing or editing) 

This was actually really helpful, being able to split my larger goals down into much smaller steps. I'm looking forward to proving to myself I can actually do this! :) 

• Like 2

Welcome :) I know how you feel about the planning, I sometimes feel that's all I do. The enacting the plan...that's my issue. Good luck, have fun

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

| STR - 2 | DEX - 2 | INT- 3 | CON - 2 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 3 |

Previous challenge: Respawn of a swordmage

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream- C. S. Lewis

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

Day 1 complete! (for those of us down under :) ) And actually a pretty good start. 

Quest 1: 

- Week 5 workout 1 of Couch to 5K app --> ran 3.56 km 

- Decided to stay at the gym a little longer and did my strength session that's planned for later in the week (must admit I made a mistake here. It's actually an hour long workout, but because I was trying to fit it in I basically ignored my rests. Pretty sure I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.) 

- Week 1 day 1 of http://hundredpushups.com/ (arms dead after the gym so last failure set wasn't that long, but still did it!) 

Quest 2: 

- All calories counted for the day (so far. Still have dinner to go, and pretty sure that's gonna push me over the threshold, but still.) 

- So far I'm at just over 2L of water today. With another big glass before dinner and probably during, I should reach my goal of 3L. 

Quest 3: 

- Job searched for a while and found some possibles which is exciting. 

- Spoke to my partner and we started Week 1 of the budget boot camp. 

Quest 4: 

- Did 1.5 hours of writing learning this morning. 

Really excited with how day 1 went. I actually woke up this morning, not really wanting to do anything but read/game/watch TV (watched "Loving Vincent" last night - excellent movie but extremely depressing), but knowing I had this challenge made me get up and actually do what I needed to. 

Here's to Day 2 being just as good!! 

• Like 2
On 2/8/2018 at 4:33 PM, Art3m1s said:

This was actually really helpful, being able to split my larger goals down into much smaller steps.

Most of the time that's the hardest part...welcome to the rebellion!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I too woke up not wanting to do anything, but we knocked it out, you more so. Great job! keep it up

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

Thanks everyone for the support! 

UPDATE: 

Day 2 

#1: was a scheduled rest day 

#2: Calories were counted (I somehow came under the limit!) and I drank 3330 mL of water. 

#3: Work was cancelled for the day due to the weather. :(  So, did some job searching. Also did a tidy up and started to post stuff for sale online. 

#4: Got over 2 hours done on my writing. 

Day 3 

#1: Not sure whether to count this as a success or not. I did the Week 5 Workout 2 of the running app (ran 3.67 km) ... but completely forgot about my pressups! 

I did run around town a lot though. My step count was 10,227 by lunchtime! 

#2: Calories were counted ... sort of. I'm not sure how accurate it was. For dinner, we had a picnic with lots of small homemade things so it might not be exact (not to mention me snacking as I prepared it!). 

#3: NOT COMPLETED. No work today and no sales from the online stuff. I'm going to keep posting though and job searching. 

#4: NOT COMPLETED. No excuse. Just didn't get any writing, or writing related, work done today. :/ 

So, the last couple of days haven't been quite as good as Day 1, but there are still 25 days left. :) 

Oh, I do have a quick question, if anyone can help me. I track my weight every day and I get that there'll be fluctuations. But, since exercising more (and watching what I eat) I've gone up a lot, like more than just little fluctuations. I'm assuming it's not muscle building because it's only been a few days, but I don't know much about it. Any ideas? Haha because it's a little hard on the motivation levels when I working out hard and still put on weight. Cheers. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Art3m1s said:

Oh, I do have a quick question, if anyone can help me. I track my weight every day and I get that there'll be fluctuations. But, since exercising more (and watching what I eat) I've gone up a lot, like more than just little fluctuations. I'm assuming it's not muscle building because it's only been a few days, but I don't know much about it. Any ideas?

Hi Art3m1s, welcome to NF!

List how much you weighed for each of the last 7 days.

And, are you weighing yourself in the morning after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking anything, in the same clothing (or lack of clothing) every time?

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

24 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Hi Art3m1s, welcome to NF!

List how much you weighed for each of the last 7 days.

And, are you weighing yourself in the morning after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking anything, in the same clothing (or lack of clothing) every time?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The last 7 days (in kg) were: 

79.3, 77.7, 77.6, 77.6, 76.9, 77.9, and 77.5, and back up to 78.5 today. 

I thought it might be the food I ate the night before, but it's been pretty much the same for the last 2 weeks. 

And yep, I try keep the situation for weighing myself constant. Even usually within the same half hour each morning. 

Haha or am I just reading to much into this?? 

Thanks for the help :) 

12 minutes ago, Art3m1s said:

The last 7 days (in kg) were: 

79.3, 77.7, 77.6, 77.6, 76.9, 77.9, and 77.5, and back up to 78.5 today. 

Looks fine to me.  Still a net loss for the week.  Give it at least another week to see if there’s an overall downward trend-over-time.

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

You're doing great, keep on keeping on, you got this! 

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Thank you :-) 

Update on the last few days: 

Day 4: 

Eek!! I managed to get my water goal but nothing else.

Felt completely unmotivated and just really off today. Someone I thought was a good person, turned out not to be. So, after reading through some of the other challenges here and getting inspired, I decided to get out my Bible which I haven't touched for a very, very, very long time. But I remembered how much it used to relax and centre me, so we'll see. 

Day 5: 

Slightly better. Was annoyed I hadn't been getting much done so caught up with my press ups programme. I also had work all day, which was cool. (it's gardening so got my strength workout in!)

A quick update on the job front, my job at the moment asked if I would be able to do an extra day each week!! Very exciting :-) 

Day 6: (today) 

Surprise trip to Auckland so not a lot getting done today and probably not so healthy eating. BUT, before we left I insisted that I got to go for a run. So glad I did, because I've now completed my run programme for the week! This is a pretty big deal for me as I have so rarely managed to do all three sessions in the same week. Pretty proud. 

Going to an expo tomorrow, so not sure I'll get anything done. But excited to keep everything going during week 2. 

• Like 1
On 2/12/2018 at 12:31 AM, Art3m1s said:

Quest 1: 

- Week 5 workout 1 of Couch to 5K app --> ran 3.56 km 

- Decided to stay at the gym a little longer and did my strength session that's planned for later in the week (must admit I made a mistake here. It's actually an hour long workout, but because I was trying to fit it in I basically ignored my rests. Pretty sure I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.) 

- Week 1 day 1 of http://hundredpushups.com/ (arms dead after the gym so last failure set wasn't that long, but still did it!) 

Looks like you're working hard at achieving your goals! I'm sure you'll do great in your first challenge!  Thanks for sharing the hundred pushups program btw! I've been struggling with coming up with what exercises I want to do, and when I attempted to do some push ups, I realized I kinda wasn't even ready for the beginner bodyweight workout going by pushups alone :/  So I'll incorporate the hundred pushups program as well as a couple other programs into my first challenge as well!

Keep it up and good luck!

It's only about 10am on Day 8, but I'm too excited to wait! 

As expected, the weekend was not a lot of exercise but a lot (a lot!) of fabulous food. But, as I nervously stepped onto the scales this morning, I was surprised to find I was still going down! 

And that's only the first super exciting thing. Went for my run this morning and following the Couch to 5K app I did Week 6 workout 1. **drumroll** I ran 4.37 km!!! That's over .5 km more than my best run last week! Haha that may not seem a lot, but I'm super stoked. I then kept walking for just over 1 km and finished off with a 150m all-out dash. All up, this morning was 5.80 km. 
I bested my 1mile PB and my 5km PB! 

Super excited for the rest of today and what I can get done. Got a nice long list of things I want/need to do, and hopefully I'll get a cycle in this afternoon as well. 

• Like 2

Great!! It's exciting to see your distance going up, isn't it? Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

8 hours ago, Art3m1s said:

It's only about 10am on Day 8, but I'm too excited to wait! 

As expected, the weekend was not a lot of exercise but a lot (a lot!) of fabulous food. But, as I nervously stepped onto the scales this morning, I was surprised to find I was still going down! 

And that's only the first super exciting thing. Went for my run this morning and following the Couch to 5K app I did Week 6 workout 1. **drumroll** I ran 4.37 km!!! That's over .5 km more than my best run last week! Haha that may not seem a lot, but I'm super stoked. I then kept walking for just over 1 km and finished off with a 150m all-out dash. All up, this morning was 5.80 km. 
I bested my 1mile PB and my 5km PB! 

Super excited for the rest of today and what I can get done. Got a nice long list of things I want/need to do, and hopefully I'll get a cycle in this afternoon as well. 

Awesome job, PBs always feel good. Keep the motivation high and I feel like you're going to set a whole lot more!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the support! :-) 

Really happy with the PBs. They're not super fast, but it makes me feel like I'm actually improving. Haha which is nice! 

11 hours ago, akaviri katana said:

Oh wow Miss Arty! I am inspired my your goals! A half sounds fun but a little intimidating as I cannot bike very well! 

What genre is your novel? How long have you worked on it for? I love to read and maybe one day try to write a novel!

Really great work with your best 5km! Good luck this week :) 

Yeah I'm really not comfortable on my bike yet. Scared to take it on the road, but I'm still determined to do it! My partner was scared of water and couldn't swim at the start of the year, but is now able to swim 1km. So I'm pretty inspired. 

This novel's a fantasy. I really love writing it. You should definitely give it a go. Just fair warning, it does take a while. Especially if you want to polish it well. Mine's been going for 3-4 years now and it's on the 6th re-write. But maybe I'm just being really picky! 

But do give it a go if you want to, it is such an amazing journey. :-) 

• Like 2

Just a quick update today. 

Since my awesome Monday morning, I have definitely gone downhill with this challenge. I have eye surgery that was going to be next month but is now this week (this evening!) so I have completely lost my focus. I have done absolutely zero fitness since Monday and I don't know whether I'm panic eating or what but I have been shovelling food down like there's no tomorrow! Scones, chocolate, cake, doughnuts, more chocolate ... :/

The only thing I have kept up with is my water intake. Every day has been above the 3L goal (except Tuesday which was 2.8L). 

I have also sort of been keeping up with my finance stuff: working, trying to sell stuff online, and sitting down and making a long-term budget/plan. 

I'll be out of commission for a couple of days, but hopefully, I'll be able to start back at this properly by Tuesday next week. 

• Like 1

Well, it's understandable. Just don't let all the brakes lose, and get back on track as soon as you can. Wishing you a successful eye surgery and a quick recovery!

giphy.gif

Btw, I'd love to see your novel - fantasy is my favorite genre.

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien