• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Klrip

Thoughts on treadmills?

I have been told that treadmills are not good for training because they move your leg back for you and don't work your glute muscles as a result. Is this true even if you turn up the incline on the treadmill? I like that I am able to track my speed better for intervals on a treadmill and they force me to run faster because I don't want to fall on my face :)

I've read that you want to set the incline to 1% to simulate running on flat ground. It offsets the natural wind resistance. I don't actually run on treadmills anymore. I'll run in some pretty insane weather to avoid them, because ugh!

the treadmill doesn't Move your legs; it simply keeps them in one place if you move them at the correct speed.

IMHO they are NOT a subsitute for a good walking/running program.  the rule of "specificity" says that you will always train on a given exercise by doing that exercise as specifically as possible.

OTOH; surely most of the health/fitness benefits of walking can be enjoyed by using a treadmill and winter Does make it difficult to get out...

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2018 at 9:15 PM, Dilnad said:

I've read that you want to set the incline to 1% to simulate running on flat ground. It offsets the natural wind resistance. I don't actually run on treadmills anymore. I'll run in some pretty insane weather to avoid them, because ugh!

You are braver than I am. I don't mind the cold so much but 35 mph wind is too much for me. I live in an area with lots of construction so wind = dust bowl like conditions.

Personally I can't stand treadmills. I feel like a hamster and I find myself mentally exhausted / bored after less than two miles and I'll run in some wild conditions (anything short of freezing rain) to avoid them. That being said, where did you read that treadmills aren't good for you? I don't see them as being much different than running in place.

On 2/17/2018 at 9:23 AM, Klrip said:

You are braver than I am. I don't mind the cold so much but 35 mph wind is too much for me. I live in an area with lots of construction so wind = dust bowl like conditions.

I used to run along the Ohio river int he winter. Brrrrrrrrr. I'll run down to 0 degrees, then I'll say F that and ride the bike on the indoor trainer :)

Think balaclava

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:05 PM, Nomad Jay said:

Personally I can't stand treadmills. I feel like a hamster and I find myself mentally exhausted / bored after less than two miles and I'll run in some wild conditions (anything short of freezing rain) to avoid them. That being said, where did you read that treadmills aren't good for you? I don't see them as being much different than running in place.

https://www.xojane.com/healthy/the-treadmill-ate-my-ass-or-how-to-avoid-treadmill-ass-syndrome was where I read about treadmills. I find that running distance on treadmills can be hard mentally but if you are just doing sprints then it is not bad. They force me to run at a certain speed and it is easier to tell if I am getting faster. Anyways, thank you to everyone for the advice. I have been having trouble building leg muscle and I wasn't sure if it was due to the treadmill. If you want to look at my training plan to give advice I would appreciate that. I posted it on general workout advice in the programming section. It is titled "fix me".

2 hours ago, Klrip said:

https://www.xojane.com/healthy/the-treadmill-ate-my-ass-or-how-to-avoid-treadmill-ass-syndrome was where I read about treadmills. I find that running distance on treadmills can be hard mentally but if you are just doing sprints then it is not bad. They force me to run at a certain speed and it is easier to tell if I am getting faster. Anyways, thank you to everyone for the advice. I have been having trouble building leg muscle and I wasn't sure if it was due to the treadmill. If you want to look at my training plan to give advice I would appreciate that. I posted it on general workout advice in the programming section. It is titled "fix me".

We are still going to tell you to work towards getting outside. Wind resistance,  tailwinds, crosswinds, uneven surfaces, hills. Just can't beat outside. not to mention changing scenery :) 

• Like 2

I do find them useful for interval training.  I used to do intervals after barbell days. But anything over a mile and I would be bored senseless.  I suppose I was more training my lungs and heart  than my legs.  I think there are those who want to not run who can use them to watch TV or listen to music and forget they are running.  I love to be on a trail and use my senses to experience my run not just check out and get it over with.